Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a disappointing Super Bowl

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs down What a disappointing Super Bowl

The Giants already gave the Pats their best shot, and it wasn't enough.

Blah.

Default Re: What a disappointing Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Giants already gave the Pats their best shot, and it wasn't enough.

Blah.
    And Green Bay would have done better? The Giants outplayed Green Bay. If it weren't for poor officiating and a large quantity of luck, the Giants would have won by 2+ TDs. The Giants earned their trip to the SB. I don't think they will win, but they've got more of a shot at beating the Pats then GB would.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    And Green Bay would have done better? The Giants outplayed Green Bay. If it weren't for poor officiating and a large quantity of luck, the Giants would have won by 2+ TDs. The Giants earned their trip to the SB. I don't think they will win, but they've got more of a shot at beating the Pats then GB would.
    It's not always about which team is better, but about how certain teams match up with other teams.

See: Colts vs. Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It's not always about which team is better, but about how certain teams match up with other teams.

See: Colts vs. Chargers
    I don't think Green Bay would be able to beat NE. If Plaxico was punking Al Harris and Woodson all day, just imagine what Randy Moss would do to them in single coverage. Coming into the game I wanted GB to win simply because we never played them during the year..but during the game it became apparent that the Giants were a much better team.

Count me among those that were rooting for GB going in but then as the game went on realizing that Moss would tear Al Harris apart (after seeing what Plaxico was able to do).

I'm not sure GB would've been able to knock the Pats off.

When I watched the Giants vs the Pats to finish the reg season I always kind of felt the Pats were in control even tho they were behind. The Giants needed to make something happen and they just never seemed to do it when they had to.

But there's a reason they play the games. And it's Manning vs Brady, isn't that what the NFL wants?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

It'll be a good game, so I'm not disappointed, except to the extent that the Colts aren't in it.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Green Bay at the end of the season was a lesser team than the Giants. It wasn't just one game.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Has this ever happened, where 2 brothers went to the super bowl in suceeding years on different teams?

And both at the Quarterback position no less?

That game-ending 9 minute 13 second posession, just lining up and knocking the snot out of the other guys,

was truly a thing of beauty for anyone who likes playoff caliber football.

I predict that this will be the most-watched Super Bowl in history. Only the people within a 50 mile radius of Indianapolis will not care. Too bad for them.

I'm glad to have seen Jordan in his prime, Tiger Woods in his prime, Larry vs. Magic in the 80s, the 32-0 IU team in 1976.

I feel no less fortunate to be enjoying the 2007 Patriots.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    That game-ending 9 minute 13 second posession, just lining up and knocking the snot out of the other guys,

I predict that this will be the most-watched Super Bowl in history. Only the people within a 50 mile radius of Indianapolis will not care. Too bad for them.

I'm glad to have seen Jordan in his prime, Tiger Woods in his prime, Larry vs. Magic in the 80s, the 32-0 IU team in 1976.

As far as I'm concerned, MJ could've been born 10 years earlier. Had he, I think the Pacers would have won a couple of championships in the 90's.

I will enjoy this SB, however, even as a Colts fan. I have always liked Eli a bit and I'd like to see the Giants win, but if the Pats win, it will at least be cool to have seen a team go 19-0. I never thought that I would see that outside of Madden.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Has this ever happened, where 2 brothers went to the super bowl in suceeding years on different teams?

And both at the Quarterback position no less?
    I'm not even sure about brothers playing in the Super Bowl period. The only ones that come to mind for me as a possibility would be the Barber brothers - Tiki and Ronde.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The SB is disappointing in that we already know who's going to win. We've already seen these two teams go at it at nearly 100% and NE emerged the victor.

In fact, this time around, I wouldn't doubt if the Pats won in a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    Actually, quite a few Indy residents will watch the game to watch Eli, and/or see if the Pats go down. Most people will watch the game to see history being made. But most people outside of Massachusetts don't like the Patriots, and I'd bet the Giants have quite a few bandwagon fans for the next couple weeks.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Nobody respected the Giants through the entire playoffs and they won every single game they were projected to lose. They Beat Dallas AND Green Bay. They also took the patriots to the limit in the regular season finale.

If you think that somehow Green Bay had a better shot at knocking off the Pats, you must not have watched that game. Giants just flat looked like the better team.

As far as matchups go, considering the importance of pressure when it comes to stopping Brady, Ill take the team that led the NFL in sacks. Thank you.

Brady is destined to be knocked off by manning for the second year in a row, count on it...
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Well, Shade, you were convinced if we had to play Jacksonville, we'd lose because we'd already gone at it at nearly 100% and the Colts won, so.....

To think that people in Indianapolis are the only people that don't like the Patriots is naive thinking. It is also naive to imply that people in Indy won't be watching the game. I bet the ratings in Indy will be in line with all of the other markets in the US outside of New York in Boston.

I bet majority of the country will be jumping on the New York bandwagon. And that is something that rarely happens. How many times does the United States want to see a team from New York win it all? Most people root against the Yankees, most people didn't like the Knicks. But the Giants will become America's team.

I was disappointed with this SB after last weekend.

There are only two teams in the league with anything approaching NE's raw talent level - Indy & Dallas. They were the two teams that would have a shot vs a NE team in good weather. Anyway, after last weekend the next two NE games became pretty uninteresting to me.

I don't think the Giants have less of a chance than GB, or that the SB will be worse with them in it - but I do think that other than having to play Jacksonville the 1st weeked, NE found a relatively easy road to the trophy.

And that's not to diminish what they've done. There have been more dominant teams in NFL history IMO but if they win in two weeks, they'll have done something nobody else ever has.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Pretty silly logic, as I would bet a lot of people will be watching in Indy, rooting for Eli and the Giants.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

To imply that only people in Indianapolis won't be wanting to see the Pats win is silly. The average NFL fan and more importantly the average sports fan doesn't want to see an undefeated sports team. People want parody, not dominance.

Granted there isn't much parody in the NFL right now. The NFL has been pretending to have parody for the past 4-5 years now when in reality they are arguably the most predictable professional sports league.
    I think the Pats will win by 2+ TDs.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well, Shade, you were convinced if we had to play Jacksonville, we'd lose because we'd already gone at it at nearly 100% and the Colts won, so.....
    Jacksonville got better as the game progressed, and we barely held them off, only because we had already padded a 14-point lead in the first half. To me, that was really the first visible chink in our defense's armor as well, and it just seemed to get worse from there.

OK, I was judging the attitude by the title of this thread and threads on another Colts / Indiana message boards, which have suggested that the matchup was boring and uninteresting.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    To imply that only people in Indianapolis won't be wanting to see the Pats win is silly. The average NFL fan and more importantly the average sports fan doesn't want to see an undefeated sports team. People want parody, not dominance.

Granted there isn't much parody in the NFL right now. The NFL has been pretending to have parody for the past 4-5 years now when in reality they are arguably the most predictable professional sports league.
    I think the Pats will win by 2+ TDs.
    I think the word you're looking for is "parity."

The Giants will win this game.

OK, I was judging the attitude by the title of this thread and threads on another Colts / Indiana message boards, which have suggested that the matchup was boring and uninteresting.
    I'd say "anti-climactic" is a bit more accurate a description.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    The Giants will win this game.
    Not likely. If the SB was in a cold weather area, I would say that the game would be somewhat close..but it's going to be at least 55-60 degrees in Arizona. New England's offense stalled out in December and January when they played in cold weather. I'd look for their offense to get back on track in Phoenix. Expect the Pats to put up at least 40 easily.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I for one will not be watching this game. It is obvious that the Pats have it and the last thing I want to do is watch my rival win ANOTHER title. Its like a Yankee/Red Sox fan watching thier rival in the world series. bleh!!!! Too make matters worse its against the OTHER New York team.
    Last edited by DrBadd01; 01-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.