Thread: Heck of a season

Default Heck of a season

Great run in the regular season, followed by two big steps forward, and a gritty effort tonight with 3 and a half starters, forcing the Pistons to dig way deep to pull it out. The Pacers will learn from this, just as the Pistons learned from getting beat by the Nets last year.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Heck of a season

The thing we need to remember (thos of us who do not hang ourselves tonight) is that we had never been here before (you know what I mean) and the Pistons were here last year. Teams have to get there in steps (unless they are in LA or New York). We will learn from this and we will do better next year.

We have seen what our biggest weakness is and we need to address it in the offseason. We need a scorer Ron is not a scorer, he needs to defend and get the occasional put back or whatever but having him as the second option is stupid. If there is a way that we could get T-Mac for Bender and Harrington and Jones and our next six years draft picks we should do it.

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

I know it's hard to think positive now, but I'm hoping you're right, ark. It took IT's Pistons repeated attempts before they could get past Boston, it took Jordan's Bulls repeated attempts before they could make it out of the ECFs before breaking through. I just hope we can follow in their footsteps, and not follow the pattern of D. Wilkens' Hawks who never were able to get over the hump.
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

It's just the facts of NBA life. We all hope it can be our team to take the fast track, but it's just so hard. The only time in recent memory I can remember a team waltzing into the Finals was New Jersey, but they beat a similarly untested Celtics team in the ECFs. That was simply the lowest of the down times for the East, in all other years there has been at least one team in the conference finals who had made deep playoff runs before.

Our time will come.

Agree with all.

Our inexperience was on display tonight. We will grow from it.

At the beginning of the season I was hoping for growth from last year - a first round victory and a hard-fought second round series. If we made the ECFs, well, that was gravy.

And it was. The Pacers exceeded my expectations this year. We are young and there is no reason that this is not the first of many ECFs, some finals, and yes, even a NBA championship.

Perspective, folks. If back in October somebody told you we'd win 61 games, and play well enough in the ECFs that we can say "if not for one or two plays..." would you have been satisfied?

That said, the bar has been raised. Expectations and goals should be higher.

ps. I hate Rasheed Wallace. If Artest had gotten called for a foul and turned toward the crowd and screamed "Bullsh**. Mother F***en Bullsh**" the NBA would have suspended him for weeks. Rasheed doesn't even get a second look from the refs.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I know it's hard to think positive now, but I'm hoping you're right, ark. It took IT's Pistons repeated attempts before they could get past Boston, it took Jordan's Bulls repeated attempts before they could make it out of the ECFs before breaking through. I just hope we can follow in their footsteps, and not follow the pattern of D. Wilkens' Hawks who never were able to get over the hump.

You can throw in the Kings in that last sentence.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Here's the problem. I think that Pacers fans can accept a tough loss. A lost series where the Pacers really didn't show the heart or desire is tough to take.

I think this team bears a lot of resemblence to the 1998-2000 teams in a lot of respects (though of course there are differences as well). They had frustratingly inconistent play and an almost stupefying indifference to losses. They were also ensemble casts lacking what it takes to truly win a title in this league: superstars. (More in a separate thread). They could take a few more runs at it, but barring weak competition, I don't see these guys as World Champion potential.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that this was a very successful season. When you think about it, the two twams that won their conferences and then lost in their respective finals both made huge strides this playoffs. If it wasn't for injuries on both teams, we could very well be having an Indiana/Minnesota finals.

I feel nothing but pride about these Pacers. Their competitiveness is their greatest asset.

Tim

This season confirms what most of us already know, this team, when healthy, is one of the best.

Pistons should advance, they deserve it and good luck to them.

Tonight was just the beginning, we are set for many more deep playoff runs. For not getting a parade I am pretty happy right now.

I feel this season was a foundation. What a way to start.

Great season. Ended too soon, but we should hope that the team learns from their playoff experience (which they finally have some of now) and use that in a positive way next season/postseason. It was a fun ride. Here's to the Pacers!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys think about this How many Times did it Take our Team to FInally Win the ECF and goto the Finals with players like smit's , miller , davis etc it's gotta be done in steps and maybe we can come back strong next year and win the ECF.

We have nothing to be ashamed of , I think were all disappointed but don't be ashamed we lost to a better team and we had bad timing on Injuries.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was a great season and there is a great, young foundation here. The fact that this team doesn't understand what it takes to keep leads concerns me though. I would like to see Al traded and a consistent scorer added. If that means Bender and Freddie are added to get a McGrady - so be it.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Again I say, Ask PAtrick Ewing about next season.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Again I say, Ask PAtrick Ewing about next season.
    Patrick was never on a team where it was absolutely true that the 6 best players were all 26 years of age or younger (JO, Al, Ron, JB, JT, Freddie).

This team will grow into a champion, with some minimal tinkering.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

OK Indy, I just called Ewing and asked him about next year. He said "Huh? WTF?" and then hung up.

Just my report.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Big step for the team this year.

Now come the baby steps, the little steps to be a true contender.

IMO this team lacks one thing - problem is, I don't know how you get it. You need a perimeter player who can create and make his own shots, the guy you can go to when you have to have points. Artest is close, but he isn't him.

The problem with the playoffs is that with the way games are called, teams are allowed to neutralize post players down the stretch.

And if Kstat's right and you could get T-Mac, well, I'd trade anyone but JO for him - heck, I'd trade any TWO Pacers for him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire