Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 54

Thread: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

  1. #26
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Online sites were already saying Tins was out because of his knee. If I knew it hours before the game, so did Jackson.
    See I disagree with this because he isn't living the schedule we are. Is Jack surfing the net for NBA news 3 hours before a game? I'm not saying he couldn't be, but at some point aren't you eating, getting ready for the game, etc. It's not like any of these players are just surfing the net right up until game time.

    Sure Agent Zero goes to online poker at halftime, but everyone thinks that's nuts. And I'm not saying he couldn't find out, I'm saying that it's hardly obvious that he did.


    How Jackson presented it was off the cuff and casual. Maybe he was sticking up for Tinsley, but if that's the case then considering the source it makes what he said effectively the truth, barring spins on technicality.

  2. #27
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It's just common sense.

    It's also common sense that Jackson would pile on the Pacers if he got the chance.

    And I'm not piling on. I think the Pacers made mistakes in trading Jackson and Artest the way they did. I like both guys.

  3. #28
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See I disagree with this because he isn't living the schedule we are. Is Jack surfing the net for NBA news 3 hours before a game? I'm not saying he couldn't be, but at some point aren't you eating, getting ready for the game, etc. It's not like any of these players are just surfing the net right up until game time.

    Sure Agent Zero goes to online poker at halftime, but everyone thinks that's nuts. And I'm not saying he couldn't find out, I'm saying that it's hardly obvious that he did.


    How Jackson presented it was off the cuff and casual. Maybe he was sticking up for Tinsley, but if that's the case then considering the source it makes what he said effectively the truth, barring spins on technicality.
    I didn't make my point clear. If online sites knew Tins was out, then the Warriors knew he was out. Thus Jack as a member of the Warriors would know he was out, and why.

    I still think everyone is making a big deal out of nothing, and I don't hold with lying. (as the Pacers have been accused of doing)

  4. #29
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    I think someone should write a dissertation comparing and contrasting the definitions of suspension versus deactivation, and how these distinctions are interpretted by the common fan in Indiana. It really is a fascinating subject.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  5. #30
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,632

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    [QUOTE=Putnam;644803]What's the big scandal, Peck?

    First of all there is no big scandal, just a very poor lack of judgement and character IMO.

    I was totally with Uncle Buck at the beginning of yesterday when we first started hearing this.

    Not telling everyone was no big deal to me. I completley understood why they would want to keep private and frankly I didn't care.

    However once the story started to be told, the constant denials and then the changing of the story made me start to question the entire thing. Then by the time I listened to the coach's radio show and then read this article I was in the Shade & Hicks camp of "why are you lying to us".

    Suspended, de-activated, told not to come, whatever. As Seth has already appropriatley said were all adults here so come on. This is one of those statement where we have to determine what the word "Is" is.

    And no I'm sorry but I will agree to adamantly disagree with you over his slap at Jackson.

    How about this.

    Putnam say's "O'Brien did not call Jackson a liar, or even imply that he is a liar."

    Peck's retort to this is: "consider the source".

    Does that mean that all I am saying about you is that you are just not a reliable source when it comes to information regarding the team? Or am I saying that what you have to say is not worth paying attention to because you either are a liar or spreader of unintential false truths?

    Personally I'd think it was the latter and not the former.

    His retort to talking about the suspension was to call out a player on another team by name and IMO degrading him.

    But if you want to disagree that is your poragative.

    Now to Will.

    I know you want your news filtered through the cloak of Pacers positive spin, however I hate to break this to you.

    The first internet site to even bring this up was....

    pacers.com

    Now you can say, and I would agree, that he might have known that Wells was going to run with it. But still he didn't have to cover it at all.

    Also, this is not to Will, one other problem here IMO.

    We are now saying de-activated. At first it was he couldn't play because he was injured. Now it is he is de-activated because the coach can.

    Right there is a change of story and frankly would have been an easy out for O'Brien right there.

    All he would have had to say was that he de-activated him and gave him permission to miss the game and that this was an all internal matter & then refuse to comment beyond that.

    But the fact that he had to go so far above and beyond to try and make Well's and Jackson out to be liars is my problem.

    Well that and how he threw away the Pheonix game.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. #31

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Okely, dokely. You're the admin and I'm just Ned Flanders. I find what I said earlier a whole lot more reasonable than what you've said, so I'll let you have the last word...unless JayRedd can end the thread with a joke. That would be cool.


    Anyway, are we are happy that rule #4 was revoked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rules of Pacers Digest
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    January 26, 2007: Rule #1 heavily revised to focus on demeaning/derogatory posts. (No Demeaning/Derogatory Posts)
    New Rule #2 (Infractions, Warnings, Appeals).
    What was Rule #4 (No Verbal Attacks on any Players, Coaches, Staff, Management, or Owners) removed.
    Rule for No Advertising "removed", but becomes part of new Rule #2 (Infractions, Warnings, Appeals).
    Rule (No Trolling) tweaked.
    (About the Administrators) tweaked.
    Fixed a handful of typos.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  7. #32
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,632

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okely, dokely. You're the admin and I'm just Ned Flanders. I find what I said earlier a whole lot more reasonable than what you've said, so I'll let you have the last word...unless JayRedd can end the thread with a joke. That would be cool.


    Anyway, are we are happy that rule #4 was revoked?
    What????

    I'm sorry you feel this way and normally I would never take a public stand like this but I feel in this case I have to.

    I have been an active poster on here since about 6 months into the beginning of this site. I have been an admin. for about a year and a half I think, I'm not real sure there.

    But I have never once in all of my time here ever used my admin. power "if there is such a thing" to end a discussion on a topic.

    What you just implied, either intentionally or not, is that you are not able to continue this discussion with me for fear that I will either now or in the future abuse my position and unfairly punish you.

    Sorry but that unfairly punishes me.

    I have not now nor would I ever abuse that privleage. I work at the discretion of our sites found, Mal, and if you think in any of my dealing with you on here are unfair please feel free to take it up with him.

    I thought we were just have a discussion about the Indiana Pacers, a subject which we both happen to care deeply about. As you can see from any of my posts I often take a contrairian point of view. See my thoughts about O'Neal and Walsh for example.

    However I do not stand above my posts holding the "Ban Hammer" to anyone who dares disagree with me. If I didn't want disagreement I would just write a blog and not bother to read replies.

    Hell, look at Will. I have known Will for years and respect the hell out of him both as a person and a poster. But we disagree on many subjects. Yet Will is one of the first people I seek out to read when I come online.

    I have always respected you as a poster as well. I enjoy your take on the team and I have zero problem that you disagree with my point of view here. Frankly I'll admit that I'm an opinionated blowhard so often times I understand why people disagree with me.

    I'm just very sad and dissapointed though that you feel this way.

    I will apologize in ending and say that I never meant you any offense and I hope that we can continue posting with each other in the future.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. #33
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Geez, everybody's so testy. I think he's kidding Peck. Calmicus Downicus.

    Stephen Jackson. Consider the source. I'm glad JOB and I see eye to eye on this. In the whole scheme of things who cares. The Pacers won even if I didn't get to see my favorite player that night. I will start a new thread about something else.

  9. #34
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Could the disagreement in the film session been about Tinsley's lackluster play, and he said it was due to his injury, so JOB told him to stay home if it was that bad?

    I agree with Peck on this issue, probably more because I can't wait til the day Tinsley is no longer a Pacer, but there is a chance that there's a midline here.

    I 100% think that he didn't play because of the argument/disagreement and he was told to stay home because of it. You don't have a player from another team, no matter who it is, saying that he was suspended for no good reason. He could have had it slightly wrong, but he was told from someone about JOB's and Tinsley's fallout, so it's not like the story doesn't have legs.

    I wouldn't have that much of an issue about it if it concerned Rush. It concerns me because of Tinsley's past issues. He was given excuse after excuse after excuse to not play the games when he was either unhappy or the team was unhappy with him. ENOUGH BABYING HIM!!!! He said he was relieved to be treated like a man, jabbing at RC, so treat him like a man damnit.

  10. #35
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,128

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Tinsley should've been "inactivated" after the Phoenix game. I'm fine with "inactivating" him for the rest of the year... or his career.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #36
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I have never once in all of my time here ever used my admin. power "if there is such a thing" to end a discussion on a topic.
    It's not the admin power that has people concerned, Chancellor. It's the power of the dark side........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  12. #37
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okely, dokely. You're the admin and I'm just Ned Flanders. I find what I said earlier a whole lot more reasonable than what you've said, so I'll let you have the last word...unless JayRedd can end the thread with a joke. That would be cool.
    Ever hear the one about the gynecologist who looked up his old girlfriend?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  13. #38
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    I would have to say there is nothing personal in all of this. Everyones attitude is just a product of frustration and lack of clarity on the direction of this franchise. Although no mano-e-mano negativity is needed, we all should be proud that we care about this team enough to be testy when the proverbial "poo" hits the fan. It is this which makes this site so great, pulls us together, and enables us all to define our own "Pacers Zen".
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

  14. #39

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    My earlier statement was nothing more than a final salute to you. We're cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What????

    I'm sorry you feel this way and normally I would never take a public stand like this but I feel in this case I have to.

    I'm just very sad and dissapointed though that you feel this way.

    Every society has order and structure. In traditional societies in Africa and Asia, people are allowed to voice their opinions, sometimes for hours on end. But when the oldest man present speaks, everyone knows the discussion is over. Likewise, in our legislative processes, members are allowed to speak, but one person holds the gavel and when they bang it, the discussion is over.

    Pacers Digest is also a place where people are free to voice their opinions pretty freely. There is no formal method of resolving any thread or discussion and so some of them go on a long while. One thing that helps is when people recognize that they've already said what they have to say and don't need to say it again. That's what I was doing. I could have just stopped participating in the thread, but I said what I said as a sort of tip of the hat to you. "I'm satisfied that my point of view is clearly stated already, so you can have the floor."

    There are some insiders and some not-insiders in PD,as with any society. I don't have any problem with that at all. I'm perfectly comfortable with my role as the forum's Ned Flanders. I envision Pacers Digest as a four-years-long party at Hicks' house that I somehow got invited to. It doesn't bother me at all that UncleBuck is sitting in the comfortablest chair, or that Abel is holding the remote control, or that Kegboy is standing nearest to the tap. They were here first. As you say, you've been here a long time, too. I respect that, and as far as I'm concerned that means you deserve the last word. Also, you are an admin, and as far as I'm concerned that also means you deserve the last word.

    I write pages and pages of stuff at my job and I always aim to be as clear as possible -- never intimating anything that can be stated clearly. If I had intended to imply that you were brandishing a "ban hammer" I would have called you a bully or something. I didn't and I have no reason to think that you are.

    When I said you were an admin, it was because I wanted to make a personal statement about you (to distimnguish you from myself), and I didn't want to draw attention to your funny ears, so I just said that you are an admin. No malice intended at all. Really.


    We now return to our regularly scheduled program.....
    Last edited by Putnam; 01-18-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  15. #40
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Look, if the team hadn't borrowed Shade's "Van Gundy" films there wouldn't have been a problem. Tins would not have gotten out of line for feeling inadequate.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  16. #41
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,632

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My earlier statement was nothing more than a final salute to you. We're cool.




    Every society has order and structure. In traditional societies in Africa and Asia, people are allowed to voice their opinions, sometimes for hours on end. But when the oldest man present speaks, everyone knows the discussion is over. Likewise, in our legislative processes, members are allowed to speak, but one person holds the gavel and when they bang it, the discussion is over.

    Pacers Digest is also a place where people are free to voice their opinions pretty freely. There is no formal method of resolving any thread or discussion and so some of them go on a long while. One thing that helps is when people recognize that they've already said what they have to say and don't need to say it again. That's what I was doing. I could have just stopped participating in the thread, but I said what I said as a sort of tip of the hat to you. "I'm satisfied that my point of view is clearly stated already, so you can have the floor."

    There are some insiders and some not-insiders in PD,as with any society. I don't have any problem with that at all. I'm perfectly comfortable with my role as the forum's Ned Flanders. I envision Pacers Digest as a four-years-long party at Hicks' house that I somehow got invited to. It doesn't bother me at all that UncleBuck is sitting in the comfortablest chair, or that Abel is holding the remote control, or that Kegboy is standing nearest to the tap. They were here first. As you say, you've been here a long time, too. I respect that, and as far as I'm concerned that means you deserve the last word. Also, you are an admin, and as far as I'm concerned that also means you deserve the last word.

    I write pages and pages of stuff at my job and I always aim to be as clear as possible -- never intimating anything that can be stated clearly. If I had intended to imply that you were brandishing a "ban hammer" I would have called you a bully or something. I didn't and I have no reason to think that you are.

    When I said you were an admin, it was because I wanted to make a personal statement about you (to distimnguish you from myself), and I didn't want to draw attention to your funny ears, so I just said that you are an admin. No malice intended at all. Really.


    We now return to our regularly scheduled program.....
    Why I oughta ban....

    Oops sorry power went to my head again.

    We're cool, I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that I would not do that to anyone.

    Sorry if I over reacted.

    Obviously if you are the Ned Flanders that would make the loud fat obnoxious neighbor.

    Doh!!!



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. #42
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't make my point clear. If online sites knew Tins was out, then the Warriors knew he was out. Thus Jack as a member of the Warriors would know he was out, and why.

    I still think everyone is making a big deal out of nothing, and I don't hold with lying. (as the Pacers have been accused of doing)
    But you and I don't disagree that Jackson knew he was out and the REAL reason why. Where we differ is what we think his knowledge of the Pacers PR situation was at that time.

    For all Jackson knew the Pacers had disclosed Tins being suspended with pay for an internal matter that has since been resolved. So as the elephant in the room he'd certainly mention it when talking about not playing against Tins.



    Peck, as I understand it my continued existence here is meant to act as ongoing proof of just how much you keep your banning powers in check. Maybe I need I new avy with a scarlet A on it.

  18. #43
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I need I new avy with a scarlet A on it.
    As long as you don't go back to a series of elderly or ambigiously gendered women from the 1980s, feel free to do whatever you'd like.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  19. #44
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, everybody's so testy. I think he's kidding Peck. Calmicus Downicus.
    I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common postery. Anybody else feel like a little giggul, when I mention my friend....Calmicus.....Downicus?
    (snicker)
    He has a wife you know. You know what she's called? She's called Incontinentia.

    Incontinentia Buttocks!



    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as you don't go back to a series of elderly or ambigiously gendered women from the 1980s, feel free to do whatever you'd like.
    Well I did say "A" and not "P" or "N". But I'll admit that you just took Rue McClanahan off my list of options.
    Now Janet Reno is more 90's. Elderly, check. Ambigiously gendered, check. Looks like a double dip to me.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.

  20. #45
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly I'll admit that I'm an opinionated blowhard so often times I understand why people disagree with me.

    That's why I disagree with you! (Giggle, giggle, snort, snort, snort!)

  21. #46
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like a double dip to me.
    If that's what you're into.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  22. #47
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    [yt]pY8jaGs7xJ0[/yt]
    This is the darkest timeline.

  23. #48
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, everybody's so testy. I think he's kidding Peck. Calmicus Downicus.
    When you're on the other side of it (as an admin) it's very hard to tell and it can hurt feelings easily. I've been there before many times. If he was kidding, then he was kidding, but if not I think he's being very unfair to Peck in that regard. It's just a conversation and had nothing to do with who is and who is not an administrator.

    *edit* Now I see the follow up. Case closed I guess.

  24. #49
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,769

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [yt]pY8jaGs7xJ0[/yt]

  25. #50
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Today's official story from O'Brien is that Jamaal was

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ever hear the one about the gynecologist who looked up his old girlfriend?
    He was also a doctor of English, and a cunning linguist.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  2. pretty good story from the Star on Jamaal
    By aero in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 12:08 PM
  4. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •