Thread: Rot in Hell Directv

Default Rot in Hell Directv

Sooooo today I finally ordered the new Directv package with the new HD DVR reciever allowing me to get several more HD channels. Installation is set for Tuesday. That's good right?

Wellllllllll
    I set down to eat and watch a little TV this evening awaiting tip off of the IU vs Minn game. Instead of a picture I'm getting a strange message on my TV. No satellite channels are working. Reset... blah blah blah.... Nada! The receiver acts like it's not seeing the satellites. I check dish for ice or snow. Nope... it's fine...

Go into setup menu and signal strength on the satellites is GREAT... so I'm obviously not dealing with dead LNB's, a misaligned dish, or a bad cable.

Out of ideas I call Directv. First level of support.... no help. More holding... second level of support tells me it's a known problem on their end and it 'probably won't be fixed until 6AM Friday'.

That's after the IU game...

Oh well.... I decided to grin and bear it and hoped maybe they'd actually have a fix before then. So far.... Nope!

Then I get curious and do some extra digging. This is a known problem that's been going on for several days with several models of receivers. Apparently, if your LG built receiver (Some Sonys, Hughes, Zenith....) lost power (or just signal maybe) on or after Jan 12th it turned into a doorstop.

So it's been a problem for some for several days. Also, I gather they'd told some people a fix was happening Thursday. Oddy, Directv's own tech support forums aren't working now either.

Hmmmmhttp://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=61935

I have a feeling my weekend off will not involve a lot of TV.

Grrrrrrrr

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 01-18-2008 at 04:30 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Rot in Hell Directv

Hey... they fixed it! Looks like I got lucky and wasn't down for days like the other poor schmucks!!!

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

See, Bball, sometimes the glass is half full

and i think thats why theres cable
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cable sux. I've had Directv for about 12 years, and they always seem to be on the cutting edge of new technology, and I've had very little downtime to speak of. Of course, if I would have some downtime when I wanted to watch something, I would obviously be unhappy.

I also have a over-the-air antenna with a booster, so if there is inclement weather, I still get some TV, and I keep the DVR stocked with some go-to programming so that I can watch that in a pinch.

DirecTV just rolled out online recording setup, if you have a DVR (I have the dual tuner, HD unit) and have it joined to your home network. I can be at work and log in to directv.com and set my DVR to record stuff over the internet! Also doesn't help that they seem to roll out a few new HD channels about every month...

No way I would ever go back to cable!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post

Cable refuses to string anything out my way. Someone told me the other day that cable is on the other side of the crossroads (which is probably 1/8th mile from me) so if that's true I have no idea what the hold up is and why they refuse to come this way (I'm not the only house between here and the crossroads and there are several homes on down the road).

Now that Directv has upped it's HD offerings I'm less inclined to go to cable TV anyway (especially since I did a 2yr contract with the coming upgrade and installation)... altho broadband is still attractive (satellite internet sucks except compared to dialup).

As Heywoode said, I have an OTA antenna so all is not lost with Directv going down. Plus I have several DVD's I could catch up on.

But none of that does any good when a team is playing (or other event) and you want to watch the live broadcast.

It looks like some people were out for a week or so as Directv sorted the problem out. At first they were blaming the receivers until they started putting 2 and 2 together and realizing ALL these units couldn't be dying all of a sudden AND all made by the same manufacturer too (altho branded with different brands). I wonder how many perfectly good receivers were replaced during this period and how many tech calls people paid for unaware?

The key was whether your unit lost signal or power. Once that happened, due to a change in the data stream Dave was sending, your receiver went dead.

But they've fixed it now. I'd be pretty angry if I was one of the first customers that had it happen and was either down this long or spent money to fix a problem that was really on Directv's end. A new receiver would've fixed the problem and I'm sure several techs handled it exactly that way and innocently blamed the receiver....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

If someone did get jacked into paying for a tech call, all it would take is a phone call to customer service and you would get credit, dollar-for-dollar or maybe more, just for the inconvenience, and your bill would get prorated.

DTV has had the best customer service for about a decade now.

Oh, and I worked in the CATV construction business for a decade, climbing telephone poles and then later (when I got tired of climbing 100 poles a day or more) doing installs. Cable companies are notorious for not running lines to add a handful of customers. We got paid by the foot to run the lines, and we got paid WELL. I'm certain that costs have risen dramatically with the movement toward exclusively installing fiber optic lines. The cost/benefit for a company to run lines for more than a thousand feet or so wouldn't be a convincing argument unless there was a new subdivision, and even then, the cable would likely be underground, and costs would be even higher....
    Last edited by heywoode; 01-19-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    If someone did get jacked into paying for a tech call, all it would take is a phone call to customer service and you would get credit, dollar-for-dollar or maybe more, just for the inconvenience, and your bill would get prorated.

DTV has had the best customer service for about a decade now.
    The thing is... most of those people will probably never know. As far as they know, and the tech too, it was a bad receiver.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The thing is... most of those people will probably never know. As far as they know, and the tech too, it was a bad receiver.

-Bball
    Well, I suppose you're right that the majority of DTV users don't read forums or keep up on the stuff on the internet....I do, and I'm lucky enough to have a friend who knows more than I do!

well here in california, cable has always left me satisfied, never had interruption maybe for the last 9 years or so, and i have about more than 50 channels of HD, and Comcast offered us 4 cable boxes with DVR on each, for 1 dollar apiece.

i dont know how it is in Indiana, but cable has always left me satisfied, its just, its expensive! haha

im payin about 110 a month, only have HBO and NBA TV.

I have cable, Cable phone, and Roadrunner and pay $135 a month for all three.
    I have rarely ever had service interuption.

My Internet is extremely fast, and I never have to worry about weather when watching TV with Cable.

MY DVR is free box, and $6.00 service fee per month. If the box were to break, they replace it for free. If I get HD eventually the HD box is a free upgrade.

Other than the NFL package, I'm not sure what Satellite has over cable for me.

I say go with what makes you happy!

I pay $57 a month for DTV with an extra receiver, the HD dual tuner DVR, and I get as many channels as I can watch. I think DTV has over 30 HD channels now.

I'm happy and I'm not leaving, so I can understand people not wanting to leave cable. Go with what you like....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Directv is rumored to have over 75 HD Channels by next month and 100 by year's end.

Ill be upgrading to the HD-DVR sometime in the middle of next month after i file my taxes and all that stuff
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

man, 100 by years end.. thats amaazing

I have a new receiver now... (yay!)
    ...But Directv can't access accounts to activate it (boo!)

So it's a paperweight and has been for over 24hours now.

The phone message has alternated between saying 2 hours until they are back up to speed, to 3 hours, to 2-3 hours, to not actually mentioning a time frame. Obviously, all of those were wrong.

1 service rep just told me to call back today. Another told me to keep trying every hour because they didn't know when they'd be back up. A later rep told me it should be fixed by 6AM this morning. At times I've been told the automated system should still work, but I go thru it and it acts like it's done and then instead it says it's transferring my call.

Other times the phone message tells you the automated system is down as well.

Since the reps can't access accounts they have no idea why the automated system didn't work for me (they say) and no way to check it.

Ahhhhhh technology!

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Man, I've never had those problems in over ten years with DTV....sorry for your bad luck!

The worst I had was when the installer hooked up my multi-switch wrong, but in a way that I didn't notice until I went to hook up another receiver....I called him back because I didn't want to have to crawl around the attic...He went up and got himself baffled, so I had to go up and fix it myself right in front of him. The worst part was when he jumped through a hole that goes from the old part of my house to the new and landed on a seam between two sheets of OSB with both feet and all his weight, busting through it. If it weren't for the fact that I jammed so much blown insulation in between the OSB on top of the rafters and the top of the drywall, he would've went clear through my brand new spanish laced ceiling into my new addition.

He won't be back, I don't care WHAT problem I have. I can handle the wiring part, and I can call customer service for the technical stuff. I will even buy a mechanism to repoint my dish before that imbecile comes back to my property....

I called DTV and complained about him and they gave me a year of HBO for $1 a month. They charged me $300 for the dual tuner HD DVR and I was fine with that. Until a friend told me that he got the same deck for $20 shipping. I called them back and they gave me free HD service and $10 off my bill for two years to make up for it. I got my $300 back, but it will take two years to break even. I was just happy they were so cooperative.

It's going now. At about 8PM I finally got it to happen (reps had access again).

Now, if at least Ch 4 and ch 8 could get together with Directv and get their HD feeds on Directv.....

Since the new receiver doesn't have an OTA tuner I'm going to have to cobble something up with a component switcher and the old receiver until this new mythical Directv OTA add-on is available.

For whatever reason, I can't pick up ch 4's digital signal OTA altho their analog is fine for me OTA. So it would be nice if Directv could take up the slack. I get NBC HD, FOX HD, and CBS HD out of Louisville just fine OTA but no ABC-HD (so getting Directv's ch6 HD feed is nice). But of course, the new box not having a built in OTA ATSC tuner is limiting.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

I don't know this should go in a "Rot In Hell" threat, but more like a "WTF?". My most recent DirecTv bill was more than I thought it would be, even with the monthly payment for my League Pass. So I get on line and do some research and I find they're charging me for a pay per view movie and a charity race pay per view I purchaced IN JUNE!. Thinking I got charged twice I go through all the bills and find that no, they didn't charge me on the next bill like you'd expect them to do. Not quite as exciting as the time that my internet provider forgot to charge me for several months, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I don't know this should go in a "Rot In Hell" threat, but more like a "WTF?". My most recent DirecTv bill was more than I thought it would be, even with the monthly payment for my League Pass. So I get on line and do some research and I find they're charging me for a pay per view movie and a charity race pay per view I purchaced IN JUNE!. Thinking I got charged twice I go through all the bills and find that no, they didn't charge me on the next bill like you'd expect them to do. Not quite as exciting as the time that my internet provider forgot to charge me for several months, but close.
    ET probably just got a chance to phone home and report those. Has the receiver phone connection been disconnected or do you take the phones off the hook late at night?
    Has your phone wiring been worked on recently?

The receiver memorizes what you buy and then uploads that info to Dtv thru the phone line. I don't think it knocks itself out to try and get that done, plus AFAIK it saves a few up before reporting in so it might be for whatever reason, the phone wasn't available to it when it tried....

EDIT: I just thought of this possibility too... If you shut off your TV/Satellite/Home theater setup by unplugging the power from the wall or switching off a power strip or switched outlet/recept (switch on the wall that kills power to a receptacle) then that is another way to keep the box from phoning home when it wants to. When you turn off the receiver with the remote, or with the button on the unit, it isn't really 'off'. It's still getting power and doing things in the background. If you kill the incoming power to the unit somehow (as mentioned above) then it is really "off" and doing nothing during that time.

Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 01-28-2008 at 12:38 PM.

------

-John Wooden

teY dennaB toN

It would be nice if DTV would pick up CBS and the CW in HD.

Does anyone know if they are expected to do this anytime soon. It'll be really irritating during March Madness...

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It would be nice if DTV would pick up CBS and the CW in HD.

Does anyone know if they are expected to do this anytime soon. It'll be really irritating during March Madness...

Yes, it would...

You have to wonder at what point Directv just moves on rather than keeps trying to get a deal to get those channels up on the bird?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    ET probably just got a chance to phone home and report those. Has the receiver phone connection been disconnected or do you take the phones off the hook late at night?
    Has your phone wiring been worked on recently?

The receiver memorizes what you buy and then uploads that info to Dtv thru the phone line. I don't think it knocks itself out to try and get that done, plus AFAIK it saves a few up before reporting in so it might be for whatever reason, the phone wasn't available to it when it tried....

EDIT: I just thought of this possibility too... If you shut off your TV/Satellite/Home theater setup by unplugging the power from the wall or switching off a power strip or switched outlet/recept (switch on the wall that kills power to a receptacle) then that is another way to keep the box from phoning home when it wants to. When you turn off the receiver with the remote, or with the button on the unit, it isn't really 'off'. It's still getting power and doing things in the background. If you kill the incoming power to the unit somehow (as mentioned above) then it is really "off" and doing nothing during that time.

Bball
    I don't keep the phone line plugged in. I only plug it in once a month or so (whenever the daily reminder kicks in). As for turning the whole thing off I only do that when the piece of **** freezes up.