Thread: P's Didn't Know About Harrison

Default P's Didn't Know About Harrison

From TrueHoop:

According to Bob Kravitz of The Indianapolis Star, the NBA drug policy leaves teams in the dark: "When the NBA office called Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird the other day, the news was as shocking as it was disheartening. The Pacers' underachieving and monumentally disappointing young center, David Harrison, had tested positive for marijuana for the third time in his career, drawing a five-game suspension. Turns out, Bird and the Pacers organization had no idea that Harrison had tested positive for anything. Ever. That's league policy as it relates to marijuana. And that's ridiculous."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...-Thursday.html

Default Re: P's Didn't Know About Harrison

Obviously the Pacers didn't know that harrison has tested positve twice before. But I would think they have to suspect certain players enjoy a little weed from time to time.

Where's Ike? Has he appeared since Harrison's suspension?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously the Pacers didn't know that harrison has tested positve twice before. But I would think they have to suspect certain players enjoy a little weed from time to time.
    Yeah...I'm pretty sure they were aware of the blunts Sam Perkins used to smoke at half-time.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

David just can't do anything to help himself. I really don't find smoking weed to be a high crime or really care, but it is against league rules and its simple to just not do it. David needs to grow up quick before he pisses away what could have been a decent NBA career.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

It doesn't matter if the team knew or not. I'm more interested in knowing if Harrison knew himself. If he knew that he already had 2 strikes and smoked during the season anyway, then shame on him.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    David needs to grow up quick before he pisses away what could have been a decent NBA career.
    Literally.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    It doesn't matter if the team knew or not. I'm more interested in knowing if Harrison knew himself. If he knew that he already had 2 strikes and smoked during the season anyway, then shame on him.

How could he not know? Doesn't each infraction carry an escalating penalty that would've had to have been levied?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm not sure about the letter of the law, but this seems ridiculous. Does the league stand by while Team X hands out an extension to Pot Smoker Y? That reeks of the ludicrous.

That said, I'm sure teams mostly know about their players antics. But if the Pacers gave Goodie Twoshoes a new deal only to watch him get suspended for doing the one-hitter a third time ... well, I'd cry foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Where's Ike? Has he appeared since Harrison's suspension?

-Bball
    He's fallen out of the rotation.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

The hole idea that a player can test positive three times before any action is insane. Not only is the pot illegal it is a clear violation of league rules.

Its quite simple really, Either you play sport or you don't do drugs. I had a brother who played Australian Rules at a state level and he wasn't even allowed to take cold & flu tablets as they breached the league drug policy (not too sure why, i think an ingredient in them is used as a masking agent for performance enhancers). But thats the breaks of playing sport at an elite. But then again. if you got caught just once you got punished. Thats probably what is lacking in the NBA.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Literally.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    How could he not know? Doesn't each infraction carry an escalating penalty that would've had to have been levied?

-Bball
    I think he's saying the real point is that Harrison knew himself, not questioning if he did.

I think.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    The hole idea that a player can test positive three times before any action is insane. Not only is the pot illegal it is a clear violation of league rules.
    That's not what happens. The league imposes specific actions on the player for each infraction but doesn't notify the team until the third infraction.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yeah, it's odd that the team wouldn't be in the loop as it developed. I guess that was worked out in the CBA to help players, give them a little breathing room to get their own act together without getting an instant rep.

Who knows how many players are out there with a 1 time failure. Nash, Duncan and Lebron could be on that list and we (and their teams) might never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yeah, it's odd that the team wouldn't be in the loop as it developed. I guess that was worked out in the CBA to help players, give them a little breathing room to get their own act together without getting an instant rep.

Who knows how many players are out there with a 1 time failure. Nash, Duncan and Lebron could be on that list and we (and their teams) might never know.
    Yeah...It's pretty simple really I think.

The NBA wanted to test for weed in 1999. The Player's Association said no.

The League asked again. The Players said no.

The League demanded that it be included, and probably had to acquiesce on another issue to make the Players agree to it. But the League didn't give up enough that the Players would agree to anything more than a "three strikes" policy (because let's be honest...a lot of these guys really like them some weed).

And apparently, the League either wasn't interested in making the penatlties harsher (and sooner) or they weren't able to find anything else to give up that would work for the players when they renegotiated in 2005. Not sure which.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs