Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Should the Lakers Trade For Jermaine O'Neal?

Default ESPN: Should the Lakers Trade For Jermaine O'Neal?

There is a new video on the Pacer's ESPN Team Site, It's entitled "Should the Lakers trade for Jermaine O'Neal". I did a little bit of research and it's actually a segent from ESPN Shootaround. It's essentually Jalen Rose and Jamal Mashburn talking about this Indiana-Los Angeles trade:

Lakers GET:
    • F/C Jermaine O'Neal
    Pacers GET:
    • F Lamar Odom
    • G Jordan Farmar
    • G Sasha Vujacic
    I thought it was an interesting discussion. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: ESPN: Should the Lakers Trade For Jermaine O'Neal?

Any time I hear "Should the Pacers trade JO for...." I say "yes" before they can finish their sentence.

We're better without him on several levels. I don't even think he really adds to the defense like some of you seem to think. He's slow on both sides of the court. He can kind of let the action come to him on the defensive side so he looks a little better there, but his slowness also means his man can beat him or a rotation gets him out of position.

But I can't imagine the Lakers being interested in him now.

They can have Tinsley too...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think this trade is ultimately better for both teams if Javaris Crittenton is used instead of Farmar. For us, he's more talented, and can play both guard positions. For LA, if they make this trade, they're looking to win a ring NOW, not three seasons from now, and Farmar is a much better backup point for the this season and next than Crittenton.

As constructed, I grudgingly do it, unless Vujacic has a horrible contract I'm not aware of. If Critt is in there, I'd do it and be pretty happy about it.

Seems like Mash and Rose have a pretty accurate take on it.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with them 100%.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, the Lakers SHOULD trade for JO and Chicago should trade for Tinsley and Detroit should trade for Murphy and .............

because all those guys owe US.

LA for the foul Shaq laid on Travis Best

Chicago for the way Phil Jackson pissed and moaned about Mark Jackson

and Detroit because they exist.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the Lakers SHOULD trade for JO and Chicago should trade for Tinsley and Detroit should trade for Murphy and .............

because all those guys owe US.

LA for the foul Shaq laid on Travis Best

Chicago for the way Phil Jackson pissed and moaned about Mark Jackson

What about New York?

LJ 4 point play, Spike Lee, Ewing getting 4 steps everytime he touched the ball, etc... .

eh ... never mind, they dont have anyone I want. Maybe Jamal Crawford.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by kept View Post
    There is a new video on the Pacer's ESPN Team Site, It's entitled "Should the Lakers trade for Jermaine O'Neal". I did a little bit of research and it's actually a segent from ESPN Shootaround. It's essentually Jalen Rose and Jamal Mashburn talking about this Indiana-Los Angeles trade:

Lakers GET:
    • F/C Jermaine O'Neal
    Pacers GET:
    • F Lamar Odom
    • G Jordan Farmar
    • G Sasha Vujacic
    I thought it was an interesting discussion. What are your thoughts?
    Make it happen. NOW! I like it, as someone else said, but they can have Tinsley too.

From what I understand, LA would deal for O'Neal but only offering players like Kwame Brown and Radmanovic. They wouldn't give Odom or Farmar for him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    From what I understand, LA would deal for O'Neal but only offering players like Kwame Brown and Radmanovic. They wouldn't give Odom or Farmar for him at this point.

O'Neal would replace Odom, and Fisher and Critt would cover for Farmar. It's possible.

If we can get Odom and Farmar, we should jump at that trade. Not sure why the Lakers would do it though.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

It is funny though that they were rolling with Bynum and in very JO fashion he got seriously injured, suddenly creating that need again.

I don't know why they'd move Odom and Farmar though if they are trading to "win now".

Healthy JO I'm actually happy to keep here, even with this offer. And why would someone trade for injured JO? Unfortunately even though I stood firmly in the "he's not broken down" camp a few months ago, it's hard not to wonder now.

I hate how fans are so easily dismiss him. JO has been one of the great Pacer players, he wasn't always struggling like this.

Dude shot a 1 arm FT during a regular season game just so MAYBE he could return to the game after his badly injured right arm was checked out. He easily could have said "I'm hurt too bad to return, replace me at the FT line" and no one would have blamed him.

To me that will always be JO. That and formerly speedy baseline moves to blow past guys. I wish we could see a return of that for just 1-2 more years simply because it would be nice to watch, win or lose.

If you're the Lakers GM, you don't do this trade. It would be the worse "panic mode" decision they'd ever make.

I agree w/the commentators on this one. Move Kwame up to start @ Center, give Odom a more prominent role in the offense and just keep on keeping on the best you can.

Reppin the 317

Bynum is down for a good 8 weeks with that knee injury and Odom really isn't that much of a PF...the rumors will start to fly up again. We should try for this trade:

Pacers Get:
    1st Round Pick (LAL)
    Javaris Crittenton
    Kwame Brown

Lakers Get:
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Andre Owens
    09 2nd Round Pick

Kinda goes to the future, but they get a decent replacement to Crittenton and O'Neal while they give up a useless overpaid player/expiring contract in Brown and their 1st. It might be too much though that the Lakers are giving. But still, once Bynum gets healthy, it will be Fisher-Bryant-Odom-O'Neal-Bynum....that would be freaky.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can anybody recap what was said by Jalen and Mash? I can't get ESPN video to play at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by DisapointedPacerFan View Post
    Bynum is down for a good 8 weeks with that knee injury and Odom really isn't that much of a PF...the rumors will start to fly up again. We should try for this trade:

Pacers Get:
    1st Round Pick (LAL)
    Javaris Crittenton
    Kwame Brown

Lakers Get:
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Andre Owens
    09 2nd Round Pick

Kinda goes to the future, but they get a decent replacement to Crittenton and O'Neal while they give up a useless overpaid player/expiring contract in Brown and their 1st. It might be too much though that the Lakers are giving. But still, once Bynum gets healthy, it will be Fisher-Bryant-Odom-O'Neal-Bynum....that would be freaky.
    I'm not sure we have that 2nd rounder - maybe lost it in the James White trade? Anyways, I don't do this trade. Even when he's not on the court, Jermaine is a good teammate and a good guy, certainly worth more than J-Critt and a 1st, which at the Lakers' current pace would be in the David Harrison range.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DisapointedPacerFan View Post

Pacers Get:
    1st Round Pick (LAL)
    Javaris Crittenton
    Kwame Brown

Lakers Get:
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Andre Owens
    09 2nd Round Pick

Those contracts aren't even close to matching.

I wouldn't trade JO until he's back to being healthy. Obviously, his trade value would be a lot better. I also think that the Pacers should keep him unless they get some kind of tremendous young talent, preferably a strong post player or a really high draft pick.

Reppin the 317

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm not sure we have that 2nd rounder - maybe lost it in the James White trade? Anyways, I don't do this trade. Even when he's not on the court, Jermaine is a good teammate and a good guy, certainly worth more than J-Critt and a 1st, which at the Lakers' current pace would be in the David Harrison range.
    Yea i remember..lost that in the White trade..and then we have 2 2nd rounders this year from the James Jones trade...I remember everything...

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Those contracts aren't even close to matching.

I wouldn't trade JO until he's back to being healthy. Obviously, his trade value would be a lot better. I also think that the Pacers should keep him unless they get some kind of tremendous young talent, preferably a strong post player or a really high draft pick.
    Yea most of those JO trades have to involve Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown usually to get the salaries even close.

Does JO still have the player option for next season with the Pacers? How much is it worth?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Wow! You've still got some edge in ya, Geezer! Guess you are not one of those people that become milder with age .

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

I wish we would pull the trigger already and get it done. I still stand by my opinion from the poll we had on here not too long ago. We are a better team without him. We score more points and win more games. It seems like JO gets injured, or has stayed injured for some time now. Its time to move on. JO is no longer the all-star he once was.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

You guys are flipping nuts if you think we can get Odom and Farmar for JO.

And for the record, Farmar is a lot better that JC Superstar.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I think we all need to come to the realization that JO has very little trade value. He is extremely injury prone, he has a huge contract that he can opt out of at ther end of the year, his career is about over, he just isn't a very good player anymore. Why would any team want him.

Sports Logo

Earlier in the offseason, it looked like the Pacers were the ones that did not have to make a move since we were in a "let's see how JONeal does under JO'Bs system, there isn't a need to make a move" mode. Whereas the Lakers were in the other end of the spectrum with Kobe's offseason rants where it seemed like they had to make a move to placate him.

After 4 months with the Lakers a top 3-4 team in the West and the Pacers hoverig under .500 in the LEastern Conference, the tables have pretty much turned. The Lakers could get by with making no moves since they have been doing so well by choosing to do nothing. Whereas with the Pacers, it's arguable ( depending on where you fall on the whole "Are we better with or without JONeal?" argument ) that we are the ones that could/should make a move.

Although I truly doubt that Bynum was ever on the table.......I will still argue that the best trade that we could have gotten from the Lakers would have been in the offseason when the Pacers ACTUALLY had the better "negotiating" hand....now, with the emergance of Bynum and the continued transformation of JONeal into Chris Webber, we have the weaker hand.

Although 20/20 hindsight is alway 100% clear.....is this just another continuing pattern of TPTB tendency to overvalue their players and hold onto them much longer then they have to?

or

Is JONeal's value just that low?

As many have suspected.....it's probably a combination of both those factors.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-17-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I wish we would pull the trigger already and get it done. I still stand by my opinion from the poll we had on here not too long ago. We are a better team without him. We score more points and win more games. It seems like JO gets injured, or has stayed injured for some time now. Its time to move on. JO is no longer the all-star he once was.
    Look I'm very proud of JO being a tremendous teammate etc and his block ability is evident but, he can't even get back in our not-so-fast uptempo style, How in heck is he going to fit in with Kobe and the triangle???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think we all need to come to the realization that JO has very little trade value. He is extremely injury prone, he has a huge contract that he can opt out of at ther end of the year, his career is about over, he just isn't a very good player anymore. Why would any team want him.
    I think a team in "Win Now" mode would want him. A team that has a missing piece.I'm not sure the Lakers are the best fit, but it makes the most sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Pat Riley was keeping his eye on the J.O. talk right about now.