Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Like you're going to do what we say anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah - the real estate sticker shock going from the coast to the rust belt can make you giddy. You could buy a sizable portion of Marion County for what a small condo in Chinatown costs in DC.
    I know, you see a million dollar townhouse in Foggy Bottom and then a much bigger home in Broad Ripple for like a 10th of the price, it gets very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    Like you're going to do what we say anyway.

I need some unbiased commentary. My friends from Indiana yell COME BACK where my friends in DC want me to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I need some unbiased commentary. My friends from Indiana yell COME BACK where my friends in DC want me to stay.
    My advice would be to check out areas of the country you have interest in when you are young with no ties.

Sounds like you already have ties.

The reality is most of us have to go where the jobs are too.

I tried hard to find a job long distance in Alaska years ago but never made it.

Obviously we're all so different it's impossible to chose for someone else. I've found even different stages of life you have very different thoughts on where you'd live.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    My wife had never lived in Indiana before, but she says it is just fine. The worst thing about Indiana, she says, is that Hoosiers can be annoying with the way they moan about not being as good as Ohio.

What?

streets ahead

One quick question, though. Did you get a job in Indiana before moving there or did you start searching for a job when you moved?
    most big cities (like DC, NYC and Chicago) want you to be there before they'll consider you for something other than an internship or the like. i'm not sure if indy would be the same way because indy isn't nearly as transient as the other places.

One really frustrating thing for us is that we can't travel hardly at all, mostly because of money. Not to mention she hasn't left the DC area in a couple of years now, she is just working constantly, and I can tell that it is eating at her more every day. So more disposable income to be more fluid would be great. Her family is in Jamaica so we need to have more money to travel.
    oddly, i actually find it to be the other way around. my friends on the east coast travel significantly more than anyone i know in the midwest. i think it can be done much easier (when young - it would be significantly different with children, etc) in a place like DC.

example: i had built up a couple grand in savings while in college which i emptied my three months working as an intern here because of the cost of living (i wasn't being paid to intern.) however, in the year in a half since actually getting on the payroll i've been able to save a quite a bit more because i make (as a communications temp at a nonprofit) about $15k+ more than a friend in IL that is a full time middle school math teacher (in her 3rd year.) [one caveat - she is a math teacher in a town of about 2,000 - it'd be a different story in places like Chicago; Springfield, IL or right outside St. Louis.]

i think it comes down to knowing how to convert the increased wage rate in places like DC and NYC (thanks to cost of living, etc) and knowing how to limit your expenses. i'll use my IL teacher friend again here: we recently compared expenses and essentially she pays the same for gas each week i pay for metro, she pays $700 for a 2bd furnished apt with all utilities and i pay $750 for a furnished bedroom in someone's house... ultimately it turned out that our monthly expenses were identical but i was making a significant amount more per year.

I know, you see a million dollar townhouse in Foggy Bottom and then a much bigger home in Broad Ripple for like a 10th of the price, it gets very tempting.
    i live in a house that has a host of problems (fairly old, wet unfinished basement, etc.) and would be sold out here for at least $750,000. freaking crazy.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

I'll be on the Red Line in the direction of Glenmont, boarding at Farragut North in about 20 minutes if anyone wants to say "WORD UP YOU STUPID JACKASS."

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    I'll be on the Red Line in the direction of Glenmont, boarding at Farragut North in about 20 minutes if anyone wants to say "WORD UP YOU STUPID JACKASS."
    i board at gallery place / chinatown. if you see me, please don't make eye contact.

ATC is right about the possibilities of cheap student housing. I was neglecting that option. In his comparison, he pays the same for a bedroom in someone's house that his Illinois friend pays for a 2-bedroom apartment. That shows you can live cheaply in Washington, if you are willing to live like that. But things start to close in around you pretty quickly. You save a lot of money not owning a car...but that means you can't drive up to Great Falls on a Sunday afternoon.

Eventually, wage disparities level off. My wage data shows that corporate managers earn about the same everywhere, because the wage levels are set by the corporation. So a banking executive for Chase might make $125,000 in Philadelphia and pay $5000 a month on his mortgage, then move to Indy and get a nicer house for $3000 a month while still making $125,000 a month.

my friends on the east coast travel significantly more than anyone i know in the midwest. i think it can be done much easier (when young - it would be significantly different with children, etc) in a place like DC.
    This is probably true. People who move to Washington are the type of people who are likely to travel around some more -- and people who were born and stayed in Indiana are more likely to stay put. All I meant was that you CAN enjoy the nation's wonders while living in Indiana.

DC also asked about jobs and moving. In my instance, I moved before I had the job. Today it would be much easier to avoid that risky step.
    Last edited by Putnam; 07-11-2008 at 08:34 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

streets ahead

ATC is right about the possibilities of cheap student housing. I was neglecting that option. In his comparison, he pays the same for a bedroom in someone's house that his Illinois friend pays for a 2-bedroom apartment. That shows you can live cheaply in Washington, if you are willing to live like that. But things start to close in around you pretty quickly.
    this is true. i guess my point was more when you're young and not necessarily interested in owning a house or starting a family, you can make a midwestern cost of living work AND get the increased wage rate. clearly, i'd prefer having a 2bd apt for what i'm paying but you can make it work.

also, i should admit that i'm in a fairly lucky situation in that i work for a non-profit but a successful non-profit media organization that for the most part takes care of the employees (when you're a temp with an assignment of 3mo or longer you get full benefits/insurance.) not all of the jobs available for people my age (specifically non-profit orgs and the hill) offer the same things. usually lower-level staffers (and interns) on the hill roam around the senate/house buildings looking for receptions with food they can attend and get a meal from.

You save a lot of money not owning a car...but that means you can't drive up to Great Falls on a Sunday afternoon.
    true but i actually do own a car. i live right over the district line in takoma park and am lucky that i haven't had to mess with permits and that sort of stuff. there is also zipcar available. and given the proximity to philly, nyc and boston there is a nice bus system (as a sidenote: if you plan on taking the bus to any of those locales - yes the chinatown bus may be significantly cheaper but it'll be worth the extra $10 or so to take a reliable service megabus, bolt or vamoose.)

This is probably true. People who move to Washington are the type of people who are likely to travel around some more -- and people who were born and stayed in Indiana are more likely to stay put. All I meant was that you CAN enjoy the nation's wonders while living in Indiana.
    yeah i think it is more about opportunities available too when it comes to 20 somethings. indiana, if you like and want to travel with a family, would probably be a better.

DC also asked about jobs and moving. In my instance, I moved before I had the job. Today it would be much easier to avoid that risky step.
    for indiana and certain industries this is probably true but what i've found is that most organizations want you to be in the city - otherwise they assume you're wasting their time. after graduating (from a school in central southern IL) i applied to jobs in chicago, indy, nyc, la and dc and never got any response until i applied for an internship.

clearly, one might think that was due to my lack of capitalization but as i have moved into the industry i've learned it is partially about trust - if you're not in the area you could easily flake out and never end up moving. and secondly larger cities have plenty of people in those industries currently living there that are looking for jobs. why not simplify the process?

streets ahead

Oh the joy of advanced search...

I remembered having a discussion on here about DC to see if there was anything to add to Jose's thread. And found this:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Please, Indy peeps, don't take offense to what I am about to write.

Also, keep in mind that I'm a self-admitted East Coast prick from Boston that went to high school in Indy.

That being said, why in God's name would you want to leave DC for Indy?

There's a huge "middle class" in DC! Sure most of us are "yuppies," but we're there. I have a long-term girlfriend myself and we absolutely love it in DC. It helps that we're both political junkies and such but really what cinches it is places like Adams Morgan and U st.

I could never live in Indy again, personally, because I always feel disconnected when I go back there even for just a few days. I think it depends on the person but I love the feeling of being able to walk everywhere here; I love going on the metro to places (even though there is always track work...always).

To make things better, DC is a whole 'nother beast post-graduation. I don't know how much you like the "yuppie" life style but being someone who loves it, DC has become the clear place to be for me.
    You don't necessarily have to love the nightscene to love what a city like DC has to offer, though. I love the fact that if I decided to eat out every Friday night, I could get a different cuisine every week for quite a while in DC.

Also, if you are talking about raising a family, DC-area has A LOT of jobs in a plethora of fields. At the same time, you could easily raise your family in suburban Virginia and Maryland and just commute or drive to work every day. I have a lot of friends in various parts of Maryland and some of the nice neighborhoods there remind me A LOT of Indy. Still, it's 45minutes from DC and Baltimore and a few hours from Philly and then NYC.

Sorry if I seem defensive about DC here, it's just that I spent a lot of time making the decision to come down here and I haven't regretted it for a second. I can easily see me spending the rest of my life in this area.

Are you considering any other places or is it just between DC and Indy?
    Looks like someone is a lying sack of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Oh the joy of advanced search...

I remembered having a discussion on here about DC to see if there was anything to add to Jose's thread. And found this:

Looks like someone is a lying sack of ****.

Love it.

Listen, douchebag. I hate leaving DC. Unfortunately (or fortunately), graduate school beckons - that's why I'm in Chicago for god knows how long. I'd love to go back to DC when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i agree with with rexnom. i'd find it hard to move back to indiana... if i were to move midwest it'd probably be chicago
    Look at the big brain on Ed!
    Last edited by rexnom; 07-02-2009 at 02:14 AM.

So..any updates? Still considering Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    So..any updates? Still considering Indy?
    I would love to get back to Indy some how, some way, but right now I don't see it happening. A few months after I started this thread I got a really good job here and with the way the economy is right now I'm not about to give it up. Not to mention the wonders I think it will do for my resume.

There are things I love about Indianapolis the city- cheap, good housing, more entertainment than what meets the eye, traffic is not bad, people do not get killed in public transportation accidents, ect.

The one thing Indy doesn't have going for me right now? A job that would replace the current job that I have. Like I said, I really can't give this position up.

Right now I am looking at buying my first house in the next year. I love some of the townhouses in DC, but I really don't feel like investing half a million into some gentrifying area 2 blocks from the hood. I don't mind it when I'm paying rent, but when its my own money...

My most realistic goal right now: start up a successful political consulting firm, base it in Chicago, get a chopper or small plane, and take the quick ride to Indy for every Pacers game, Bernie Eckelstein style

streets ahead

Love it.

Listen, douchebag. I hate leaving DC. Unfortunately (or fortunately), graduate school beckons - that's why I'm in Chicago for god knows how long. I'd love to go back to DC when I'm done.

Look at the big brain on Ed!
    Hahaha, yeah I'm down with Chicago. I bet you can't wait to experience a 'real' winter again.

I would love to get back to Indy some how, some way, but right now I don't see it happening. A few months after I started this thread I got a really good job here and with the way the economy is right now I'm not about to give it up. Not to mention the wonders I think it will do for my resume.

There are things I love about Indianapolis the city- cheap, good housing, more entertainment than what meets the eye, traffic is not bad, people do not get killed in public transportation accidents, ect.

The one thing Indy doesn't have going for me right now? A job that would replace the current job that I have. Like I said, I really can't give this position up.

Right now I am looking at buying my first house in the next year. I love some of the townhouses in DC, but I really don't feel like investing half a million into some gentrifying area 2 blocks from the hood. I don't mind it when I'm paying rent, but when its my own money...

My most realistic goal right now: start up a successful political consulting firm, base it in Chicago, get a chopper or small plane, and take the quick ride to Indy for every Pacers game, Bernie Eckelstein style
    You're also not a giant tool, like say Rexnom.

Actually if you're interested in purchasing a house, there is a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house right around the corner from me and it can be yours for $535,000. The lot size is 8,875 sq ft. It was built in 1960 and the estimated property taxes for the first year are $9,570.

There's also a 1,015 sq ft 2 bedroom, 1 bath condo a couple blocks away for a cool $319,000 if that's more you're speed.

Either way, it's the People's Republic of Takoma Park - we're the end of the Red Line with all the cool **** happening!!

When I dream about the moonlight on the Waaaabash . . . then I looooong for my Ind-i-ana home

Does this help?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I may be wrong, but from what I read you're about to leave college. If that is the case, I submit this to the you should come back to Indy side of the argument: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/workl...ads/index.html

Indy is not a good place to be looking for a job. It's not the worst, but I have some friends that have been out of work for a year.

Also, I can relate on doing wonders to the resume. I look at living out of Indy (or moreso, living in a large city) as an investment. What would take me 15 years to accomplish professionally in Indy I've done in 14 months in L.A.

Indy is a good place to live, as many others have stated. The cost of living is #1, but there are other benefits. The Pacers don't hurt . I'd love to have a spot in Real Silk (though I don't plan on moving back), and I check about 5-10 properties every time I'm in Indy for fun.

Re: Real Estate. It may be more beneficial to save more and wait until 2011.
    Last edited by imawhat; 07-03-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    I may be wrong, but from what I read you're about to leave college. If that is the case, I submit this to the you should come back to Indy side of the argument: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/workl...ads/index.html
    Three top jobs listed are "sales, customer service, health care"

In other words: Dunder Mifflin, Dunder Mifflin, and Dunder Mifflin Hospital.

No thank you.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I went to college with a very specified major (International Relations) and my professional interests are even more narrow than that. I do love Indianapolis and while I can think of a few options where I may be able to work there, given most of the opportunities in my field it is unlikely.

Miraculously, I was able to find a job, doing something I love at that, in this economic climate.

My interests have confined me to probably either DC, New York, or overseas. Not that there is anything wrong with that, hell I should probably be more thankful than I am. The world is getting smaller and airfare to Indianapolis is always manageable.

As for real estate, thanks for the info ATC. Right now I don't think I am in the position to buy anything but I am saving for an eventual down payment. I actually pay a really fair rent for my current neighborhood, Columbia Heights (around $1,500 a month including utilities for two bedrooms) and am able to save a good amount of money month-to-month.

Rexnom, it is shameful that you left DC for that icebox known as Chicago. Nice city, but Indianapolis is about the limit of what I can stand for a winter.

Developments since I started this thread: the girlfriend I mentioned is now my wife, and Rexnom moved to yet another city that is not DC.

I foresee myself changing jobs at the end of this year and am once again looking at Indy at least as a trial option. The "insert random social science" and law classes I have taken in graduate school have made me realize I should have considered law school more closely than I did, and I have some connections with local law firms and may try to use them to get a paralegal job to see whether or not law is for me. I have also made a couple of cuts and may get a chance to interview for a couple of really good government jobs here in DC, it will probably enable my wife and I to afford a much nicer place here if that actually works out.

The problem is I know that if my wife and I bought a condo out here, space would always be somewhat limited and I don't know if we could afford to live in a decent place and send our future kids to a private school (DCPS is basically not an option). The other option is sending our kids to public school and living in the suburbs, but then you're stuck in commuting hell for the rest of your life.

My wife and I want to start a family in the next couple of years, Indy is obviously better for that. We could live close to downtown/wherever we worked with relative ease and while traffic in Indianapolis can suck (I commuted from a doughnut county to a high school in Indy so I know) it is not like traffic in DC. My family is also in Indy which is a plus when you have kids. Living in Indy for a year or so to start may be good to see whether or not I like being close to my family, whether the city has enough cultural amenities for us (we are both quiet homebodies but still like to go out sometimes), and whether or not I can still take the winter. After looking at a couple of places in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square a few months ago my wife now actually wants to leave DC for Indy, but I am convinced she would need the "trial" period as well.

As much as DC gets on my nerves, it would still be hard to leave though. I am reading through these posts again and the advice is still helpful and great, thanks guys.
    Last edited by idioteque; 04-27-2012 at 08:38 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keep in mind that if you lived in Broad Ripple or Fountain Square, those are in IPS School districts, so not good. I would imagine that private school here would be about the same % of your income as it would in DC. Believe me, if you are starting a family and you don't think you will have the money for private school, the location of the house you buy will absolutely be the single most important decision you will have to make. There's nothing worse than having to send your child to a school you hate. Our son starts Kindergarten this fall and we are desperately scrambling right now trying to get him into any neighboring school we can so that he doesn't have to go to the schools in our district. When we bought this house, we thought we'd have plenty of time and opportunity to move before our son was school age. Then the housing market bombed and we're still here. You never know what's going to happen. If family is your goal, and private school is not an option, really do your research on the schools and go where the ones you like are. This is solid advice no matter which city you choose to live in.
    Last edited by travmil; 04-27-2012 at 09:28 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This threads cracks me up, and it is sad seeing ABADAys post in here.

This thoughts of this thread runs through my mind 10 times a day. I hate Northern Virginia, and missing living in Florida, but I have a great job and I have got accustomed to the lifestyle of the DC metro area.

I will ad to what Travmil says, stay the **** out of Broadripple and Fountain square area if you are planning on starting a family. IPS school system is terrible. If you want to live close to broad ripple. IE Walking or Biking distance. Then probably the best place to live is in Washington Township. Housing is still very affordable here. I bought my first house at the age of 26 here in Washington Township. Its smaller 3bed room home with a full unfinished basement for only 100K, that was 4-5 years ago. Great starter house for a young family, and these types of homes are plentiful in Washington Township. You are close to Broadripple, Castleton, and Nora communities. Nora has alot of eclectic food offerings and decent small shops, Broadripple has great bars and night life (though Broadripple is more hassle then its worth now-days, but I'm 30 years old now and settling down this year so that probably has much to do with it!) I'm also a 15 minute drive to Butler University and Clowes Hall and there are so many great concerts and productions put on there.

Best of all I can make it to BLF in about 20 minutes.

Low cost of living, property taxes in Washington Township are acceptable, good school system and best of all not in Carmel or Fishers where you can expect to spend an hour driving to and from work every day.

Fountain Square is an interesting neighborhood, lots of cafes and antique stores, art galleries, you can literally ride your bike downtown from there. But the reality is that Fountain Square is about a 5 block radius if that, and everything outside of those 5 blocks is the Ghetto. Poor run down neighborhoods, bad schools lots of crime. I know this first hand as I grew up just East and South of Fountain square around English Ave and Southern Ave. - formerly know as IPS school# 21. Outside of Fountain Square those neighborhoods have not changed for the better in 30 years.

There is probably only one city I would consider leaving Indy for and that would be the Seattle area, I visited family there a few years ago and I just simply loved it. But when I compare the cost of real estate, my house in Seattle would be around $300K!
    Last edited by graphic-er; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Someone talk me out of my itch to move to NYC for a period of no longer than 2 years.