Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Developments since I started this thread: the girlfriend I mentioned is now my wife, and Rexnom moved to yet another city that is not DC.

I foresee myself changing jobs at the end of this year and am once again looking at Indy at least as a trial option. The "insert random social science" and law classes I have taken in graduate school have made me realize I should have considered law school more closely than I did, and I have some connections with local law firms and may try to use them to get a paralegal job to see whether or not law is for me. I have also made a couple of cuts and may get a chance to interview for a couple of really good government jobs here in DC, it will probably enable my wife and I to afford a much nicer place here if that actually works out.

The problem is I know that if my wife and I bought a condo out here, space would always be somewhat limited and I don't know if we could afford to live in a decent place and send our future kids to a private school (DCPS is basically not an option). The other option is sending our kids to public school and living in the suburbs, but then you're stuck in commuting hell for the rest of your life.

My wife and I want to start a family in the next couple of years, Indy is obviously better for that. We could live close to downtown/wherever we worked with relative ease and while traffic in Indianapolis can suck (I commuted from a doughnut county to a high school in Indy so I know) it is not like traffic in DC. My family is also in Indy which is a plus when you have kids. Living in Indy for a year or so to start may be good to see whether or not I like being close to my family, whether the city has enough cultural amenities for us (we are both quiet homebodies but still like to go out sometimes), and whether or not I can still take the winter. After looking at a couple of places in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square a few months ago my wife now actually wants to leave DC for Indy, but I am convinced she would need the "trial" period as well.

As much as DC gets on my nerves, it would still be hard to leave though. I am reading through these posts again and the advice is still helpful and great, thanks guys.
    Just a little info....I have been showing some new downtown condos for $300K +/-....I am also showing nearly 3000 sq. ft homes in the burbs for $150K....Cathedral High School (a private Catholic HS) is currently about $11,000 a year for tuition. There are cheaper ones but Cathedral is not supported by the diocese while the others are. Then there are the exclusive private schools that are way outta my league. There are beautiful places/neighborhoods north, northeast, and northwest of downtown. Nice areas exist all over town but especially as I mentioned. I love the downtown canal and what they are doing there.

(small warning...be prepared for what your auto license plates will cost you. It can be hundreds of $$$ per year).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Yeah, public schools are definitely an issue for me. My wife and I will never make a lot of money, but it is possible that we would be able to afford to send our kids to Catholic school in Indianapolis. Even the cheapest Catholic schools in DC tend to cost at least $20,000 a pupil, whereas Catholic schools I have looked at in Indianapolis tend to charge around that for two kids. So I think what we would probably do is rent downtown to begin with and pick the neighborhood we eventually move to (if we decide to stay) basically on the sole basis of whether we will have the cash or desire to send our kids to private school or not.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Just a little info....I have been showing some new downtown condos for $300K +/-....I am also showing nearly 3000 sq. ft homes in the burbs for $150K....Cathedral High School (a private Catholic HS) is currently about $11,000 a year for tuition. There are cheaper ones but Cathedral is not supported by the diocese while the others are. Then there are the exclusive private schools that are way outta my league. There are beautiful places/neighborhoods north, northeast, and northwest of downtown. Nice areas exist all over town but especially as I mentioned. I love the downtown canal and what they are doing there.

(small warning...be prepared for what your auto license plates will cost you. It can be hundreds of $$$ per year).
    Thanks for the info, we may be in contact in the future! Also I had no idea Cathedral was 11k a pupil, always thought it was way more than that.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Thanks for the info, we may be in contact in the future! Also I had no idea Cathedral was 11k a pupil, always thought it was way more than that.
    Brebuf would be higher (Jesuit Prep School on NW side) and then there is Park Tudor where the Lilly execs and such send their kids....that would be expensive.

Cathedral increases tuition about $500/year....and no longer gives academic scholarships nor do they give a break for more than one child.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Heritage Christian is another good private school option. We went to their orientation events, did our research, and if it was feasible at all this is where our son would be going. Currently their tuition runs from $6600 for Kindergarten to $9300 for high school years. They also let you break your annual tuition fees up into 11 monthly payments.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Developments since I started this thread: the girlfriend I mentioned is now my wife, and Rexnom moved to yet another city that is not DC.

I foresee myself changing jobs at the end of this year and am once again looking at Indy at least as a trial option. The "insert random social science" and law classes I have taken in graduate school have made me realize I should have considered law school more closely than I did, and I have some connections with local law firms and may try to use them to get a paralegal job to see whether or not law is for me. I have also made a couple of cuts and may get a chance to interview for a couple of really good government jobs here in DC, it will probably enable my wife and I to afford a much nicer place here if that actually works out.

The problem is I know that if my wife and I bought a condo out here, space would always be somewhat limited and I don't know if we could afford to live in a decent place and send our future kids to a private school (DCPS is basically not an option). The other option is sending our kids to public school and living in the suburbs, but then you're stuck in commuting hell for the rest of your life.

My wife and I want to start a family in the next couple of years, Indy is obviously better for that. We could live close to downtown/wherever we worked with relative ease and while traffic in Indianapolis can suck (I commuted from a doughnut county to a high school in Indy so I know) it is not like traffic in DC. My family is also in Indy which is a plus when you have kids. Living in Indy for a year or so to start may be good to see whether or not I like being close to my family, whether the city has enough cultural amenities for us (we are both quiet homebodies but still like to go out sometimes), and whether or not I can still take the winter. After looking at a couple of places in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square a few months ago my wife now actually wants to leave DC for Indy, but I am convinced she would need the "trial" period as well.

As much as DC gets on my nerves, it would still be hard to leave though. I am reading through these posts again and the advice is still helpful and great, thanks guys.
    Wow. Just re-read my posts earlier in the thread. Yeah, broke up with my long-term gf (for what it's worth, she's now happily married in DC) that I was with at the beginning of this thread. Graduate school took me to Chicago and then New Haven. Trust me, if I had my choice of location, I wouldn't choose suburban Connecticut.

Congrats on all your family success, by the way. All the other stuff matters so much less in the big picture if you're happy at home.
    Last edited by rexnom; 04-30-2012 at 02:28 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post: