Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

I grew up in small town Indiana, and when I went to college in Washington, D.C. four years ago I swore to myself that I'd never go back to the land of cornfields again.

As I've lived here in D.C. longer I've been able to tolerate it less and less. Snobby, distant people, packed Metro trains, high cost of living, and the number of dangerous parts of the city have really turned me off as I've been here longer. It seems like most people are either really, really ghetto or a snobby government employee. It's sort of like a third world country, there's no middle class.

I have a longterm girlfriend here who I plan on living with after college, and I recently told her that in a year or so I want to move back to Indiana eventually. I expected sparks to fly at this suggestion, but actually she's open to the idea and said that if I wanted it, she would move there with me and not have any problem with it at all.

This is something I have thought long and hard about. In a way moving to Indianapolis is like moving somewhere entirely new for me, because while I have lived in the Indianapolis area for a large part of my life I was never able to experience it as a real adult, since I left when I was 17 and don't really come back too frequently due to work and school.

IF I can find a job I think I would really consider it. My only concern is that there are "no things to do" in Indianapolis as my girlfriend and I have enjoyed the cultural amenities here. Some people say that is not true, some people say that it is. What do you think? Have any of you moved back to Indianapolis from somewhere else, what brought you back? I admit that part of it has to do with the Colts and the Pacers, I miss my family's season tickets.

So what drove you out forever/brought you back?

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

Please, Indy peeps, don't take offense to what I am about to write.

Also, keep in mind that I'm a self-admitted East Coast prick from Boston that went to high school in Indy.

That being said, why in God's name would you want to leave DC for Indy?

There's a huge "middle class" in DC! Sure most of us are "yuppies," but we're there. I have a long-term girlfriend myself and we absolutely love it in DC. It helps that we're both political junkies and such but really what cinches it is places like Adams Morgan and U st.

I could never live in Indy again, personally, because I always feel disconnected when I go back there even for just a few days. I think it depends on the person but I love the feeling of being able to walk everywhere here; I love going on the metro to places (even though there is always track work...always).

To make things better, DC is a whole 'nother beast post-graduation. I don't know how much you like the "yuppie" life style but being someone who loves it, DC has become the clear place to be for me.

Default Re: Thinking about a move "back" to Indianapolis...should I or shouldn't I?

What do you mean by the yuppie lifestyle? I am aware that a yuppie is a young urban professional, which I have always assumed to mean that those are rich kids working for the government living in gentrified neighborhoods. But I never really thought about it other than those couple of characteristics.

Maybe I'll like it more after I graduate. I know after I get out of school I think I'll be here for at least another year because there are some things I have to work out. So it will at least get its fair trial with me.

streets ahead

i agree with with rexnom. i'd find it hard to move back to indiana... if i were to move midwest it'd probably be chicago.

but dc is a breath of fresh air for me (metaphorically, not literally -- i work in chinatown). i grew up in ft wayne then went to school in a town of 3600 surrounded by 12 miles of cornfields in every direction. it is nice not having to drive everywhere -- it is nice being able to walk from gallery place to georgetown if you want. the cost of living is outrageous no question (i rent a single room right now for the same amount i rented a 2bd furnished apt back at school) but its like 3.5hrs to NYC, 2hrs to Philly -- so location is nice.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i agree with with rexnom. i'd find it hard to move back to indiana... if i were to move midwest it'd probably be chicago.

but dc is a breath of fresh air for me (metaphorically, not literally -- i work in chinatown). i grew up in ft wayne then went to school in a town of 3600 surrounded by 12 miles of cornfields in every direction. it is nice not having to drive everywhere -- it is nice being able to walk from gallery place to georgetown if you want. the cost of living is outrageous no question (i rent a single room right now for the same amount i rented a 2bd furnished apt back at school) but its like 3.5hrs to NYC, 2hrs to Philly -- so location is nice.
    Probably my single favorite thing about DC, oddly enough.

I guess the much hyped "Yuppie" life style is a kind of an overgeneralization. I just meant that there are A LOT of young, recent college graduates in DC that give it in an energy Indy couldn't even dream of. It's because of 20-somethings that I think the city has grown in evening/nightlife so much. And by this I don't just mean nightclubs; I mean restaurants, lounges, jazz clubs, etc.
    Last edited by rexnom; 01-16-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Indy is the better place to raise a family. BUT...outside Broad Ripple (which I no longer frequent) almost all entertainment IS family centered and there isn't all that much of it. You'd have to space it out to make it last a year before repeating yourself in venues. Nor, do I find the restaurants anything to brag about. On the other hand, I do not want to live anywhere else except maybe the desert Southwest.

Ergo, if you're not heavily into the night scene, it's a great place to live. But if you really really like getting out and going you may find yourself bored.

Remember this too...once away from school and working, you won't feel like going out all THAT much.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Indy is the better place to raise a family. BUT...outside Broad Ripple (which I no longer frequent) almost all entertainment IS family centered and there isn't all that much of it. You'd have to space it out to make it last a year before repeating yourself in venues. Nor, do I find the restaurants anything to brag about. On the other hand, I do not want to live anywhere else except maybe the desert Southwest.

Ergo, if you're not heavily into the night scene, it's a great place to live. But if you really really like getting out and going you may find yourself bored.

Remember this too...once away from school and working, you won't feel like going out all THAT much.
    You don't necessarily have to love the nightscene to love what a city like DC has to offer, though. I love the fact that if I decided to eat out every Friday night, I could get a different cuisine every week for quite a while in DC.

Also, if you are talking about raising a family, DC-area has A LOT of jobs in a plethora of fields. At the same time, you could easily raise your family in suburban Virginia and Maryland and just commute or drive to work every day. I have a lot of friends in various parts of Maryland and some of the nice neighborhoods there remind me A LOT of Indy. Still, it's 45minutes from DC and Baltimore and a few hours from Philly and then NYC.

Sorry if I seem defensive about DC here, it's just that I spent a lot of time making the decision to come down here and I haven't regretted it for a second. I can easily see me spending the rest of my life in this area.

Are you considering any other places or is it just between DC and Indy?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    You don't necessarily have to love the nightscene to love what a city like DC has to offer, though. I love the fact that if I decided to eat out every Friday night, I could get a different cuisine every week for quite a while in DC.
    and not only that but you can easily avoid major chain restaurants altogether - which is also what thrills me. i just spent 2wks in the midwest and my rule was that i wasn't going to eat at a chain, and it was more difficult/complicated than i originally anticipated. dc, while it doesn't have the restaurant culture of nyc, certainly has its fair share of great/diverse food.

Well I was going to get on here an claim to be the old man and all, but then I look on here and see Geezer posting so now I feel young again.

Anyway, let me just ask DCPacersfan a couple of simple questions.

1. What do you want to do at 8 O'clock at night on the third Thursday in February?

2. What do you want to do at 10 O'Clock at night on the second Friday in July?

3. How many nights of the week do you want to be "out" doing something?

The answer to these questions can help provide you with a guide to where you want to go.

I've gone through both phases of my life of where and what I wanted to do.

I can remember when I was 20 years old (Good God that was 20 years ago, ok forget what I said I am the old man here) I wanted nothing more in my life than to be a Paramedic in the New York City Health System. But somewhere someway somehow I lost all desire to do that and live there. Now I am the exact opposite.

I live in a small city in a quiet neighborhood and have to commute to a big city for any form of real food or entertainment and I wouldn't have it any other way.

However I am a 40 year old man who has a grown son and a wife of 22 years. So going out to partys to "hook up" is not on my menu and really never was.

BTW, I love Georgetown. Great great part of the DC Metro area. However going a few blocks north and south of there made me very very nervous.

I even accidently crossed into Baltimore once and felt like I entered Baghdad from the looks of it.

Every reason you stated for wanting out of there is logical and every reason that Rexnom and ATC gave for staying also is logical.

It really just kind of depends on what you need/want.

Do we have arts and culture here? Yes, you have to look for it but it does exist. Not on the scale of DC or Chicago or NYC, etc., etc.

But it does exist.

Is there nightlife here? We will never be confused with southbeach but again it is there.

Are there good food joints here? Hundreds of thousands of fat Hoosiers can't lie. Again, you have to look for it. But the food is there.

Do we have sporting activities? Yip, however I would not recommend our local professional basketball team.

Traffic is no real problem. Believe me when we b@tch and moan about 465 and all of the other artery roads we really don't have a clue. I know people who have to sit for up to 2 hours almost every Monday trying to get on the Dan Ryan in Chicago.

Cost of living is reasonable. Job market is.... well that can be tricky. Depends on what you do for a living.

Decent schools? Well the metro area is actually better than some other inner city systems but the outlying suberban schools have more money than they know what to do with.

But the down side is this. On that third Thursday in February, there really isn't going to be much to do. You can eat out, you can see a movie, you can go to a game if the Pacers are playing, you can go to bar. But that is about it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

dcpacersfan,

I left Indiana the day after I graduated from college with no intention of ever going back. Having spent about 22 years there, I was more than ready to leave.

I packed up the car and moved to DC unemployed. Long story short, things worked out and I stayed in DC for a year before moving up to Boston.

Having lived close to water and in cities with actual public transportation and cultural amenities, I am probably even more set in never moving back to Indiana.

There are about a million things you'll miss having in Indianapolis. I understand what you didn't like about DC, as those things wore on me as well, but you also might realize all the little things you like about it when you're gone.

Indianapolis is a good place to raise a family if you're set in a career. But it's not all that great if you're not both of the above (raising a family and are already in your career).

Also to echo the weather sentiments: There are a couple months in the winter in Indiana that you really won't want to leave your house. In DC, you can always go out. It's pretty hot in the summer in DC, but it's not exactly cold in Indianapolis.

So many good points being made, pro and con about living in Indianapolis vs a bigger city. Living in urban areas vs. rural or suburban areas.

I like things about both lifestyles.

But the deal clincher for me is that the Pacers are here, so I stay here. (I won't admit to that in my real life, but in this forumn, I'll admit the truth - pacers are a big reason why I stay

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

But the deal clincher for me is that the Pacers are here, so I stay here. (I won't admit to that in my real life, but in this forumn, I'll admit the truth - pacers are a big reason why I stay
    Think how much better even THAT will be once we are rid of our sinuspoutinitis problem.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Think how much better even THAT will be once we are rid of our sinuspoutinitis problem.
    There is always hope for the future.

I'm not suggesting that I would never move away from Indianapolis, but the Pacers are a major factor why I still live here.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    BTW, I love Georgetown. Great great part of the DC Metro area. However going a few blocks north and south of there made me very very nervous.
    when i think of sketchy parts of dc, bethesda tops the list...

what do you mean by nervous? north along wisconsin avenue you go georgetown to american university / tenleytown then to bethesda/chevy chase to rockville and gaithersburg (the last 3 are similar to the castleton-carmel area). south you get to the national mall or the potomac and arlington. when was the last time you were in DC, because a lot has changed. 10 years ago the area i work in (gallery place / chinatown) was quite seedy and unsafe. but now the verizon center is right here, the new convention center, streets are lined with stores/restaurants ... it has changed dramatically.

i'm not gonna say DC is really safe: the bank in the bottom of our building has been robbed 6 times (not to mention various other fatal stabbings and shootings) in the 16 months i've been here.

Is there nightlife here? We will never be confused with southbeach but again it is there.
    just find foul monday, you'll have a blast

Traffic is no real problem. Believe me when we b@tch and moan about 465 and all of the other artery roads we really don't have a clue. I know people who have to sit for up to 2 hours almost every Monday trying to get on the Dan Ryan in Chicago.
    oddly traffic isn't horrific in DC. it is mainly that the people on the road don't know how to drive. DC/MD/VA also have no idea how to handle snow. the federal gov. completely shuts down after an inch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    oddly traffic isn't horrific in DC. it is mainly that the people on the road don't know how to drive. DC/MD/VA also have no idea how to handle snow. the federal gov. completely shuts down after an inch or two.
    *nods head*

Today should be really fun...can't wait to leave work...thank god I can walk and take the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this mindset.

Personally, I'm from Chicago, I live and go to school there now. So I'm totally used to being in a massive city, and I really prefer that type of a life. However, I am moving to Indianapolis to work in talk sports radio after I graduate, and I have been there extensively. I love the downtown Indianapolis area as much as almost any city I've been to, and I've been all around the world frankly. I've honestly had (almost) as much fun in Indianapolis as I have in Hong Kong, Barcelona, Chicago, New York, even Amsterdam and Vegas.

I love that the downtown area is very compact, because it is so lively and has such a nice small big city feel. Leading up to Colts games is so cool, their success has done wonders for Indy's atmosphere.

Its also really amazing to me how much the city is developing. I remember Indianapolis very well the first time I came for a Pacers game over 15 years ago, and the city has changed so much. I think in 15 more years it will be even better, it really is a city on the rise.

Granted though, if it weren't for the Colts and especially for the Pacers there is no way I'd be moving there. I'd probably live in San Diego, Seattle or here in Chicago if the Pacers were to not exist.

woman without a team

I've lived in Indy, Detroit, and New Jersey. No way do I want to ride a commuter train. My brother did it when he lived in Chicago. I don't think he minded it. It's just not for me. When I lived in Detroit walking ANYWHERE was the LAST thing I would have done.

I moved from Indy to Charlotte, NC in 1999 due to my job relocating. The first year or two we hated it. Now I wouldn't change the move for anything. I love the Charlotte area, there is lots to do, although we're not the partying kind, we're the raising a family and set in our career types.

We loved Indy too and it was hard to move away from family, but over time, most of my family has moved away due to jobs or retirement. Out of my 5 siblings, only one remains in Indy now, all the others have moved all over the country.

I had the opportunity about 2 years ago to move back to Indy, with a really good job offer. But after my wife and I talked about it, we decided that we enjoyed the Charlotte area too much and decided to stay here.

The weather was a factor in it, as the weather in Charltte is great. There is a long spring summer and fall, and very little winter. I started playing golf when I moved down here and thanks to living in Charlotte, I play pretty much year round now. As a matter of fact, I was on the golf course on Christmas eve.

Also we are less than 2 hours form the mountains and 2.5 hours from the beachs. So we can go either route for quick get aways with completely different activities.

The fact of the matter is the decision has to be based upon what you are looking for out of your city. We liked Charlotte alot because the city is similar to Indy, but not overgrown yet. Still a lot of areas where you can be out of the hustle of the city, but still have access to all of the city amenities.

I didn't give the Pacers or Colts any thought at all when I decided to move down here to Florida. I kept getting a bad cold every winter and it started hanging on longer and longer. The last winter it happened I vowed I was moving to Florida the next time I felt one coming on. I moved down here Dec. 11, 1994 and I haven't really regretted it. The main reason is I truly think I would be dead if I had stayed in Indiana.

I've been here over 13 years now and only had one mild cold, and my sister brought that down here with her on a visit.

I decided to bump this because I am still weighing my options.

I was looking at real estate in Broad Ripple yesterday online and was just amazed by how low some of the prices are.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I decided to bump this because I am still weighing my options.

I was looking at real estate in Broad Ripple yesterday online and was just amazed by how low some of the prices are.

1. Indianapolis is THE most affordable large city in the US. That is a solid, perennial fact.

2. Peck's comments above still hold true. Indianapolis doesn't offer you as many things to do as Washington, but there is plenty to do here -- more than you will ever be able to actually keep up with. The theater does really well here. We've got enough venues for live music to keep you interested, with the same caliber of artists as come to Washington. Indy has a great variety of community activities, from the ordinary to the eclectic. There is ballroom dancing with a live orchestra every Friday night at Fountain Square. There is a huge interest in canine agility and herding trials. There are folk music societies of all kinds. If you like car racing, we've got some of that, too.

3. I'm not sure what work you do or what you've studied. But the job market here is pretty good, and is expanding in several lucrative industries.

4. No beaches? No mountains? No problem. Living here, you can afford to travel to Colorado for a week every winter, or to the Eastern Shore for a week every summer. That is more than 95% of the residents of Denver/Washington do in a typical year, anyway. If theater is your thing, you can save the money and take a trip to New York a see a couple of shows every year more easily than you can save the money living in Manhattan. And I might add that we've got magnificant forests here, and plenty of recreational water.

5. I left Washington DC in 1992 after living there 5 years. I attended Georgetown grad school and then worked on K Street. I loved the Red Line train and wish I was riding mass transit today instead of driving 96 miles a day from the country to downtown Indy. My wife had never lived in Indiana before, but she says it is just fine. The worst thing about Indiana, she says, is that Hoosiers can be annoying with the way they moan about not being as good as Ohio.

6. If you decide to move, be sure and spend a lot of time at ALL of the Smithsonian buildings. There is nothing like the Smithsonian Institution and you're lucky to be near it. Don't move until you've exhausted those opportunities.

What town did you live in before moving to Washington?
    Last edited by Putnam; 07-10-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post

2. Peck's comments above still hold true. Indianapolis doesn't offer you as many things to do as Washington, but there is plenty to do here -- more than you will ever be able to actually keep up with. The theater does really well here. We've got enough venues for live music to keep you interested, with the same caliber of artists as come to Washington. Indy has a great variety of community activities, from the ordinary to the eclectic. There is ballroom dancing with a live orchestra every Friday night at Fountain Square. There is a huge interest in canine agility and herding trials. There are folk music societies of all kinds. If you like car racing, we've got some of that, too.
    When I was a kid my parents would always get seasonal tickets to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. I always enjoyed that, I was really into Symphony on the Prairie, and a few times a year we would go see something at Clowes Hall. As long as those things are still there and the live music is to the caliber it was a couple of years ago before my sister moved to Chicago, I think everything in that regard will be okay. Besides, from talking to her I know there is way more than that out there. With more disposable income (I think I will have more) I'd even looking into possibly getting Pacers season tickets in a couple of years. Also I come from a pretty close family, most of who live in Indiana, and frankly at times I get frustrated listening to the small trips and other things they go out and do together because that was an important part of my childhood and I know now I am missing out. So I think everything will be fine regarding entertainment.

3. I'm not sure what work you do or what you've studied. But the job market here is pretty good, and is expanding in several lucrative industries.
    I was an IR major in college but I sort of lost interest near the end of my time at GW and just finished it out because of the time and money it would have cost to switch majors during the second semester of my junior year. Really, I am unsure of what I want to do...what I can say is I guess I am more social science oriented.

One quick question, though. Did you get a job in Indiana before moving there or did you start searching for a job when you moved?

4. No beaches? No mountains? No problem. Living here, you can afford to travel to Colorado for a week every winter, or to the Eastern Shore for a week every summer. That is more than 95% of the residents of Denver/Washington do in a typical year, anyway. If theater is your thing, you can save the money and take a trip to New York a see a couple of shows every year more easily than you can save the money living in Manhattan. And I might add that we've got magnificant forests here, and plenty of recreational water.
    One really frustrating thing for us is that we can't travel hardly at all, mostly because of money. Not to mention she hasn't left the DC area in a couple of years now, she is just working constantly, and I can tell that it is eating at her more every day. So more disposable income to be more fluid would be great. Her family is in Jamaica so we need to have more money to travel.

5. I left Washington DC in 1992 after living there 5 years. I attended Georgetown grad school and then worked on K Street. I loved the Red Line train and wish I was riding mass transit today instead of driving 96 miles a day from the country to downtown Indy. My wife had never lived in Indiana before, but she says it is just fine. The worst thing about Indiana, she says, is that Hoosiers can be annoying with the way they moan about not being as good as Ohio.
    I have a love/hate relationship with Metro, that will be the hardest part about leaving if I decide to. I am incredibly tight with money, and while I hate the constant darn train delays Metro is a cheap option and I love not having to pay car insurance or have a car payment like I did back in High School. I guess though, with the extra money, it will be affordable.

6. If you decide to move, be sure and spend a lot of time at ALL of the Smithsonian buildings. There is nothing like the Smithsonian Institution and you're lucky to be near it. Don't move until you've exhausted those opportunities.
    The Smithsonian is awesome and will be hard to leave behind if I choose to go. I love art and the art collections they have there are top notch.

What town did you live in before moving to Washington?
    Shelbyville, which if you don't know it, is the seat of Shelby County, has about 18,000 people, and something like 25-30 miles southeast of Indianapolis.

streets ahead

One quick question, though. Did you get a job in Indiana before moving there or did you start searching for a job when you moved?
    most big cities (like DC, NYC and Chicago) want you to be there before they'll consider you for something other than an internship or the like. i'm not sure if indy would be the same way because indy isn't nearly as transient as the other places.

One really frustrating thing for us is that we can't travel hardly at all, mostly because of money. Not to mention she hasn't left the DC area in a couple of years now, she is just working constantly, and I can tell that it is eating at her more every day. So more disposable income to be more fluid would be great. Her family is in Jamaica so we need to have more money to travel.
    oddly, i actually find it to be the other way around. my friends on the east coast travel significantly more than anyone i know in the midwest. i think it can be done much easier (when young - it would be significantly different with children, etc) in a place like DC.

example: i had built up a couple grand in savings while in college which i emptied my three months working as an intern here because of the cost of living (i wasn't being paid to intern.) however, in the year in a half since actually getting on the payroll i've been able to save a quite a bit more because i make (as a communications temp at a nonprofit) about $15k+ more than a friend in IL that is a full time middle school math teacher (in her 3rd year.) [one caveat - she is a math teacher in a town of about 2,000 - it'd be a different story in places like Chicago; Springfield, IL or right outside St. Louis.]

i think it comes down to knowing how to convert the increased wage rate in places like DC and NYC (thanks to cost of living, etc) and knowing how to limit your expenses. i'll use my IL teacher friend again here: we recently compared expenses and essentially she pays the same for gas each week i pay for metro, she pays $700 for a 2bd furnished apt with all utilities and i pay $750 for a furnished bedroom in someone's house... ultimately it turned out that our monthly expenses were identical but i was making a significant amount more per year.

I know, you see a million dollar townhouse in Foggy Bottom and then a much bigger home in Broad Ripple for like a 10th of the price, it gets very tempting.
    i live in a house that has a host of problems (fairly old, wet unfinished basement, etc.) and would be sold out here for at least $750,000. freaking crazy.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.

When I dream about the moonlight on the Waaaabash . . . then I looooong for my Ind-i-ana home

Does this help?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    My wife had never lived in Indiana before, but she says it is just fine. The worst thing about Indiana, she says, is that Hoosiers can be annoying with the way they moan about not being as good as Ohio.

What?