Default Sam I Am?

Straight up trade:

JT for Cassell

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...1~12&te=&cash=

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sam I Am?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way. JT is better and has 4 yr. contract left.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Better? How?

Cassell would bring the needed attitude and leadership so this team would finish off teams when they have the chance.

I think we'd do it, but why would they?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    It's the 4yr contract that is bothering me and atleast Sam I Am knows how to run a team without going on a "I'm gonna shoot now!"-spree.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

At least Sam I Am can shoot.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

I'd be ok with that. Not a big commitment and we don't have to endure the 4 years of Tinsley. Sam gives leadership and could teach our young guys some things about being a professional athlete.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SIGN ME UP.

Kinda doubt the Clippers do it.

I've actually wondered if the Clippers would have any interest in Tinlsey.

Sam is not a long term answer for them. Neither is Brevin Knight, Dan Dickau, or Shaun Livingston (injuries). Hasn't there been some rumors of Sam being on the block or wanting a trade?

I think the Pacers do this for sure. Have doubts that the Clippers would although the Clippers are one of the very few teams, IMO, that may have some interest in Jamaal.

Sam's in the last year of his deal right? Sign me up. I wouldn't if I were LA, but it wouldn't be outlandish if they were interested.

I'd only do it if we got a verbal commitment to see the testicle dance at least once while wearing Pacers blue.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Say we do it, Sam retires very soon, it doesn't bring us under the cap to attract another quality pg
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    Say we do it, Sam retires very soon, it doesn't bring us under the cap to attract another quality pg
    Actually, it would.

That is, we would be under the luxury tax cap. (Very few teams are below the cap, which is ~$55 mil. The lux tax threshold is ~$69 mil. Someone will be able to report on the actual amount better than I.

Pacers current salaries for this year is $66.8 mil and next year would be $68.7 mil with Harrison and Tinsley, but without Rush, Graham, and Owens, according to hoopshype. I believe we can sign players to the minimum to fill the roster and it doesn't count. I am not quite sure about this.

However, if Tinsley is traded for Cassell, whose contract expires and possibly wouldn't be resigned for next year, then that frees up Tins' $6.8 mil. Harrison probably won't be back so that frees his $2.0 mil qualifying offer amount. So that's $8.8 mil there to fill 5 spots (Harrison, Tins, Graham, Owens, and Rush) - sign 4 to a min and that's about $4.8 mil for a quality point guard. Plus, we can sign someone for the 5 mil exception.

List of PGs that are FAs next summer: Lue, Duhon, Beno, AJ, McInnis, Barea, Anthony Carter, Lindsey Hunter, Troy Hudson, CJ Watson, Diaz, Arroyo, Navarro, Quinn, Ivey, Armstrong, Ollie, Louis Williams, Juan Dixon, Jose Calderon, Darrick Martin, Roger Mason, John Lucas, Steve Francis. (This list was generated by looking at hoopshype and some of these guys might have been released already.)

Pargo of NO has an option at 2.0 mil that I think he might opt out of.

Portland has a bunch of draft picks and PGs and needs to clear some roster spots, so Blake, Jack, Rodriguez or Green may also be available.

Some FAs that are not PGs that I would like to see the Pacers bring in: Antoine Wright, James Augustine, Francisco Elson, and maybe CJ Miles.

Other possibilities would be Bonzi and Melvin Ely, if you want to deal with baggage.

Of the PGs above, I would look at Calderon, Navarro, Duhon, Lue... preferably Calderon, who I'm sure Toronto will resign, and Navarro, who I'm sure Memphis will resign... so Duhon or Lue.

And this obviously doesn't consider who we pick up in the draft.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

However, if Tinsley is traded for Cassell, whose contract expires and possibly wouldn't be resigned for next year, then that frees up Tins' $6.8 mil. Harrison probably won't be back so that frees his $2.0 mil qualifying offer amount. So that's $8.8 mil there to fill 5 spots (Harrison, Tins, Graham, Owens, and Rush) - sign 4 to a min and that's about $4.8 mil for a quality point guard. Plus, we can sign someone for the 5 mil exception.
    Even still $8.8 mil isn't a lot to throw at 5 players. If Kareem keep s playing like he is he will command more than the min and he will probably deserve it. The you need room to sign your draft pick (assuming you are keeping them)

I still dont see how this will make the Pacers any better. We trade a point guard for another point guard who will come off the books at the end of season leaving us with Diener as our only point guard on the roster.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Mood

With as many PGs that will be FAs and the chance of playing time in Indy, we won't have a problem finding someone willing to play for a small amount and short contract, much like Diener's situation last summer.

And we'll be in a good spot in the draft to get a player like Collison.

We wouldn't have $8.8M to throw at anyone. If you're not under the cap, all you get is the MLE, worth around 6 million, which is also usable by a lot of teams that are in a position to contend. All of those "good" PGs will sign there first, and we'd get whatever's left.

And we only get to use it once, there wouldn't be any "$4.8 mil for a quality point guard. Plus, we can sign someone for the 5 mil exception." It doesn't work like that. Now, if we were actually $4.8 mil below the cap, then yes, we could sign someone, but we're not.

Just some perspective when discussing this. Hey, on the bright side, if we had got Kwame Brown or another huge expiring for JO, we'd be right there, likely.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Hey, on the bright side, if we had got Kwame Brown or another huge expiring for JO, we'd be right there, likely.
    So we get cap space if we get Kwame's expiring contract, but not Sam I Am's?

So we get cap space if we get Kwame's expiring contract, but not Sam I Am's?
    I meant in addition to Sam's

Yep, it's that bad!

I'd send Dunleavy for Sam and some sort of other reward, say Quinton Ross and a future pick. Knowing the Clippers, it'd be in the top 10 eventually.

Dunleavy lovers -- and I'm certainly no hater -- won't like this. But I think it'd show some foresight.

And then ship JT anywhere for a second-rounder. Maybe LA for Kwame and a pick. I'd bet Phil and Kobe could knock enough sense into Mel for a stretch playoff run.

I'm sold. And I'm dreaming. Open your eyes, man.
    Last edited by Kraft; 02-01-2008 at 04:01 AM.