Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small lineup for Quickness Article - Indystar

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Small lineup for Quickness Article - Indystar

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...03/1247/SPORTS

JOB indicates that the small lineup is for quickness at the 2 spot as Dun and Danny apparently aren't quick enough.

So why doesn't he just insert Rush into the 2 spot, slide Dun over to the 3, and bring Granger and Williams off the bench at the backup 3 and 4?

Think that the current lineup is too small for most games and that we will get killed on the boards.

Also, move Foster into the starting center spot and move Murphy to the bench...

But, hey, what the heck do I know...

Default Re: Small lineup for Quickness Article - Indystar

I think small ball is the way to go for this team. My only problem is that Murph is playing instead of Foster

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think small ball is the way to go for this team. My only problem is that Murph is playing instead of Foster
    Amen

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I guess with small ball neither will be playing that much.

I think Murphy is playing instead of Foster because of his ability to draw his defender out along the perimeter. In other words, he's a shooter! I understand most fan's mentality with wanting to stay w/Foster, and I can't say I disagree. Maybe the right thing to do is to play Murphy and Foster together, but you'd be taking a huge risk in having little to no interior defense. Still, w/this team going w/the long-ball so often, they could use Foster's rebounding ability to get them some 2nd-shot opportunities.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 01-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Reppin the 317

A lineup of Tinsley, Rush, Dun, Grange, and O'Nizzy is good for the fast lineup...anything to get us out of the slump.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    I guess with small ball neither will be playing that much.
    Foster has the ability to run the floor in the small ball system. Murphy bulked up way too much in the offseason on the other hand and is too slow.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Sports Logo

I really think that expanding the Small-Ball rotation from 9 to 10 ( by including Foster ) will not only help alleviate the amount of minutes that JONeal play but allow us to spread the minutes around for the rest of the "Smaller" lineup.

I think that one of the problems that we encountered in the last 2 games was that key players in the Small Ball rotation ( like Granger, Rush, Marquis and JONeal ) were tired towards the end of the game...which can affect their ability to implement the "up/down" system that JO'B plays.

Small Ball may work IF JO'B is able to effectively manage when key players should be playing and when they should be resting. Adding "Fresh legs" at key moments of the game ( like during the 3rd or 4th QTR ) is going to be something that is critical.

One thing to keep in mind and what some of us forget is that Foster was a key player that was used in the Suns/Pacers game. Just like when Nelson put in Barnes and Biedrins towards the end of the Warriors/Pacers game, I think that adding his energy to the lineup will make a huge difference.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would love to see Foster do more than focus on rebounding and putbacks while he's on the floor. If he would just put the ball on the floor and go strong to the basket under control he'd be one helluva asset! But as it stands, I'd be afraid to use him in this small-ball lineup because he doesn't posse a threat on the offensive end. If teams start seeing him score the ball more, maybe he'd garner more attention and would move way ahead of Ike for playing time.

Of course, there's aways the X-Factor when considering Foster. Maybe having teams forget about him and letting him score more from the field while his defender is out double-teaming somebody else could work to our advantage. Still, I don't understand why Foster won't take advantage of the "green light" JOB gave him at the beginning of the season. It's really up to him to take that open shot if it's there, and so far, he's failed to truly take advantage of those opportunities instead preferring to defer to others to do the scoring.

With the volume of jumpshots we put up on a nightly basis, it makes sense to me to have Foster in there. The other 4 guys could jack up shots to their heart's content, and Jeff could rebound his a off.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I think Murphy is playing instead of Foster because of his ability to draw his defender out along the perimeter. In other words, he's a shooter! I understand most fan's mentality with wanting to stay w/Foster, and I can't say I disagree. Maybe the right thing to do is to play Murphy and Foster together, but you'd be taking a huge risk in having little to no interior defense. Still, w/this team going w/the long-ball so often, they could use Foster's rebounding ability to get them some 2nd-shot opportunities.
    I think Jeff will get some minutes with Murph when we need Jeff to guard a big guy. But I want jeff to get any miunutes that Murph would get.

Plus we know JO will miss several more games this season,

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    With the volume of jumpshots we put up on a nightly basis, it makes sense to me to have Foster in there. The other 4 guys could jack up shots to their heart's content, and Jeff could rebound his a off.
    That's what I am thinking......is it good to have a lineup where everyone shoots the ball? Sure it is, but now when we have a Big Man that can't stop a wet paper towel.

I would much rather give the few shots that Murphy takes ( and periodically misses ) to Rush/Granger/Shawne/Marquis and have Foster pull down a "2nd chance rebound" and adequately defend the opposing Big Man then have the opposing team continually drive to the hoop when Murphy is on the floor doing his best impression of a lamp-post.

The other option is to make Murphy one of the "4 that shoot" then the "1 that rebounds/defend the paint". I still don't understand why we can't run a 2nd unit where Murphy and Foster are in the same lineup.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-15-2008 at 02:41 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

To start the season Foster had an 6-10' shot he was hitting. Then I missed some games, especially during Dec, and now I've yet to see anything but scores at the basket for Foster.

Soooooo did that shot go south for Foster or did he just quit looking for it?? ...Or did defenses actually scout that and put a stop to it?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm so anti-Murphy, that I would rather Shawne get minutes at the 5 if Foster isn't going to play at all. No argument could make me change my mind on this. Shawne's a better shooter, better finisher, better rebounder, and the main concern is his D, but remember we're comparing it to Murph's D which is a joke.

Tinsley, Daniels, Dunleavy, Granger, and Williams could really spread the court and do some damage.

Since it's the 2nd unit it would look something like: Diener, Daniels, Rush/Dunleavy/Granger (2/3), Williams
    Last edited by bnd45; 01-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally I think it should go something like this:

Normal lineup:
    Diogu
    O'Neal
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Tinsley

Small Ball:
    O'Neal
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Rush
    Tinsley

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Soooooo did that shot go south for Foster or did he just quit looking for it??

-Bball
    Tinsley took them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Personally I think it should go something like this:

Normal lineup:
    Diogu
    O'Neal
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Tinsley

Small Ball:
    O'Neal
    Granger
    Dunleavy
    Rush
    Tinsley
    I'm with you on the "Normal" lineup, but the only way that works is IF Ike can finally come around and begin to be a force underneath the basket, as well as, a decent interior defender. He just comes across to me as being too indecisive and timid underneath. I'd rather see JO/Foster than JO/Ike at this point.

Maybe all this practise time will help him get back to where he left off before his injury.

As to the absence of Foster's 6-10' shot, yeah...Tinsley took 'em!

Seriously, I think he just stopped taking them and went back to doing what he does best. Personally, I'd like to see him impose his will out there and try to score more from the field rather than just settle from gimme-putbacks. He has a nice shot and he's got a strong, quick first step to basket. If he'd only use it more he'd be pretty darn good!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 01-15-2008 at 04:36 PM.

We've started off games better with this line up. Foster needs to be the back up centre, not Murphy, Murphy has been playing like crap lately. Rebounding won't be a problem if we'd take it to the hole a few times per game
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

Doesn't matter how fast or slow/big or small our line up is if we don't take care of the rock and play defense.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    To start the season Foster had an 6-10' shot he was hitting. Then I missed some games, especially during Dec, and now I've yet to see anything but scores at the basket for Foster.

Soooooo did that shot go south for Foster or did he just quit looking for it?? ...Or did defenses actually scout that and put a stop to it?

-Bball
    He's hit it consistently throughout the year. He's also been finishing better at the rim. I've been really impressed with his offensive game this year.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The Pacers need to go large.

Put Shawne, Dunleavy or Troy at point. It's the point guard that needs to be changed on our team.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    The Pacers need to go large.

Put Shawne, Dunleavy or Troy at point. It's the point guard that needs to be changed on our team.
    You laugh but I would have zero problem with using Dunleavy as the ball handler and initiator of offense.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

We don't have the shooters to run "small ball", you rebounds a dramitically decreased with this type of basketball. You need great shooters to run this type of basketball. At this point though, why not?

I don't know why I am choosing this thread to put this in or for that matter why I am even saying this at all.

But I am beginning to feel like Naptown Seth here.

You know how he is always claiming that he is not a Stephen Jackson fan but feels the need to defend Jax from the unfairness of the Pacers fold?

Well I now sympathize with him because I feel the same way about Troy Murphy.

I am not realy a fan of Troy's, in fact I am very dissapointed in his play here as I always thought he was more of a physical player than he ended up being.

But frankly the absolute hate that he gets on this board is just amazing to me.

Guy goes out about a week ago and grabs 15 rebounds, most of which were actual rebounds not just picking a loose ball up off of the floor and yet everyone longs for Jeff "The Stilt" Foster.

Guy has single handidly offensively taken over a game for us and was more responsible for a win against a very good team this season than any other player that night (Dallas) and yet we long for Foster. Can the words Jeff Foster and took over the game offensively even be uttered in the same sentance without some part of the cosmos dying? I've probably killed countless molicules just in typing that.

Look, I have nothing against Foster. He is a good basketball player, but nothing more.

Troy Murphy is a good basketball player but nothing more.

Both are equal as rebounders in my eye and Troy and Jeff are polar opposites of each other on the offensive and defensive ends.

Yes, Jeff is a hustler who does a lot of little things that don't show up on stats. Guess what? If you can take off your "I hate Troy Murphy" glasses for a min. you will see Troy does a lot of little things as well.

He is the best pick setter on the team. Someone asked me in another thread if that wasn't setting the bar to low? My answer is hell no!!!! Setting Picks and good screens is a huge huge huge part of an overall offensive scheme. It's like the offensive lineman in football. He doesn't get the glory of the QB or RB but without his blocking very littel will get done.

Jeff after 8 years in the league still cannot set a screen on the wings without moving and getting a foul called on him.

I like both player equally.

That is why I disagree with the small ball lineup per say.

What I would like to have O'Brien do is use the entire bench. I'm not kidding I mean go 10-12 deep every single game. Nobody should play more than 35 min. a game and the two people who should be at 35 are of the last name Dunleavy and Granger.

We supposedly have depth, well if you are going to have a running game you should use it.

Don't be predictable. Use Foster every night, not just on nights when we have to guard Shaq.

Anyway that is getting away from my Murphy talk.

Look Troy has problem, no doubt. But the fact that some of you think that Troy Murphy is the biggest problem on this team is just mind boggling to me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

^^^^Why can't we just pair Foster with Murphy in the 2nd unit and have a Tinsley/Rush/Dunleavy/Granger/JONeal Starting lineup?

I know that it's not small-ball.....but Murphy can do the same thing that Shawne, Granger or Dunleavy are basically doing.....shoot the mid-range or perimeter jumper and just have Foster man the paint.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.