Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 98

Thread: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

  1. #1

    Default do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    i'm real impressed with him, for sure, but i think he lacks the seasoning. looked a little discombobulated against illinois the other day.

    seems to me a second year at IU would serve him well.

    like others, i'm back to watching a lot more IU and .. sorry, a lot less pacers.

  2. #2

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I think that Eric could come in and produce off the bench.

    I think he is more ready than Derrick Rose is right now.

    But I think another year or two would serve him very well.

  3. #3
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,258
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I just had this arguement today actually. And yes i believe he would produce and depending where he goes, be the ROY. He already had the NBA Range and he's an athletic FREAK. Its not like he's gonan grow 3 inches after one more yr at IU. And honestly his size is his only NBA downfall. But even at 6'4 he can hold his own at the 2.
    Last edited by Robertmto; 01-15-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  4. #4
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Yes, and honestly he could start for the Pacers right away. He was taken "out of his game" yesterday, only because Sampson didn't do anything to try and free him up. Illinois' main goal yesterday was to keep him from blowing up on them so they rotated guards on him all night and made him work his *** off on the defensive end and i think it wore on him a bit. Still, he managed 17 points and made a killing at the free throw line. I love Sampson but offensive plays and utilizing the most out of your players on that end of the court isn't his strongest gift. In the NBA Gordon would be playing next to 4 other people who collectively are much smarter an gifted players than the team he is on now (another reason why I think DJ White will do just fine in the league if he keeps up this beast of a year) and add in the extra court spacing and room to work that goes along with the NBA you got yourself a legit player for a long time. I know the room on an NBA court isn't THAT much greater, but Gordon only needs inches. We will see how he responds vs. Minny on Thursday, I expect more than 17 for sure.
    Last edited by jmoney2584; 01-15-2008 at 01:06 AM.

  5. #5
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,355
    Mood

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I'd like to see him stay one more year at IU, but if the Pacers could somehow get him with a pic this year I'D be jumping for joy.

  6. #6
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Haha yea I think we would all love to see him stay one more at IU, but in this day an age that is highly unlikely when significantly less skilled players are making the jump the same year and collecting their checks. As much as it would help, in all honesty, you can always go back to school...but if you blow out your ACL you MIGHT not ever have the same basketball career. In this line of work when opportunity knocks you have to answer the door in your work clothes and get after it.

  7. #7
    Member BruceLeeroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Gordon's ready. Would it help if he stayed another year in college? Of course, but you could say that about any freshman player. IMO he's better and more ready than any of the other highly touted freshman guards in this years draft.

  8. #8
    Member Hailey12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    29
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just had this arguement today actually.
    Hey you argued with ME!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoney2584 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the NBA Gordon would be playing next to 4 other people who collectively are much smarter an gifted players than the team he is on now (another reason why I think DJ White will do just fine in the league if he keeps up this beast of a year) and add in the extra court spacing and room to work that goes along with the NBA you got yourself a legit player for a long time.
    Personally I think that DJ would be a better NBA player right now. I don't get to watch many IU games so I can't really make a good evaluation of Gordon. All I have to say is that it's very difficult to determine that he will do better in the NBA just because he will have better teammates, because you also have to consider the fact that he will also be playing much better players at the NBA level.
    As for the pacers going out of the way to get him in this years draft if he does go, might not be a bad idea. But, I think the first thing the pacers might want to do is find themselves a new PG. Because if Gordon was on the same team as Tinsley he might never see the ball.

  9. #9
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Of course it would serve EG well if he stayed another year at I.U but this is 2008, MONEY MONEY MONEY. He isn't staying at I.U, he can compete at the NBA level and will be a high draft pick which equals dollars. The PG position is lacking in the NBA so I see him getting playing time right off the bat. He's definitely a 1 not a 2.

  10. #10
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hailey12 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey you argued with ME!



    Personally I think that DJ would be a better NBA player right now. I don't get to watch many IU games so I can't really make a good evaluation of Gordon. All I have to say is that it's very difficult to determine that he will do better in the NBA just because he will have better teammates, because you also have to consider the fact that he will also be playing much better players at the NBA level.
    As for the pacers going out of the way to get him in this years draft if he does go, might not be a bad idea. But, I think the first thing the pacers might want to do is find themselves a new PG. Because if Gordon was on the same team as Tinsley he might never see the ball.
    Basically DJ is playing like a MAN this year. He seriously goes glass on da.m.n near everything, whether he is snatching it up with two hands or just getting a tip on it, his hustle and determenation this year are really a joy to watch. He had a steal off an inbounds and dunk all over some poor chap in this Michigan game AND he had a similar hustle play off an Illinois inbounds where he ganked the ball and layed it in too. He is really giving 110% on both ends of the court. I haven't had an IU player get me pumped like DJ white in awhile. Sure i revel in Gordons brilliance at times and just shake my head at some of his acrobatic feats, but the raw passion and intensity of DJ this year is what makes me get out of me seat. Anyone notice we lack that on the Pacers ? Sure JO does his little Gamecock strut after blocking someone, but we don't have any players that just get the crowd juiced. Watching DJ dunk all over people with his bajingles in their faces is like a shot of steroid straight to the neck muscle. AHH! Excuse me while I go get a glass of muscle milk...
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

  11. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,880

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Any player that is a sure fire NBA pick is foolish to not come out.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,685

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I don't know, haven't seen enough of him yet. At first glance he almost in a little way reminds me of Jay Edwards. Don't yell at me, I know he's much better than Jay Edwards

  13. #13
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I'm more impressed with him every time I see him play. He's got such body control and athleticism. I would like to see him be more physical on defense, but I think that'll come.

  14. #14
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    He's as ready as Conley was. He absolutely has NBA shooting range.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  15. #15
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any player that is a sure fire NBA pick is foolish to not come out.
    Amen. Take the millions. As long as you don't waste it, you can always go back and get your degree and a "real job" if you want.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  16. #16
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy and we all know how NBA ready he was.

    His combination of outside shooting and athleticism is rare. I think his lack of height is a negative though. At best he'll be Kevin Martin at worst he'll be John Starks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  17. #17
    Member mb221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OC, MD
    Age
    30
    Posts
    300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I would like to see EJ improve his handles in traffic and his decision making throughout the rest of this season if he is indeed going to forgo his Soph season and go pro. He seems to try to force it a lot through double teams and worse, although it can definitely be said this has something to do with Sampson's offense. A lot of the time it appears he just puts it in Gordon's hands and says "make it happen." If you saw some better offensive structure from IU I think you would really get to see what Gordon is made of.

  18. #18
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,114

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Do I really need to say anything?

    I would trade anyone, and I mean ANYONE, on this roster for EJ. Without a second thought. He's going to be special.

  19. #19
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do I really need to say anything?

    I would trade anyone, and I mean ANYONE, on this roster for EJ. Without a second thought. He's going to be special.
    I Co-sign to this Shade, let's make it happen.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

  20. #20
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,258
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    But now the question is, how do you sink to the first pick to snag EG without being noticed?
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  21. #21
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,880

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I personally still have questions about how his game will translate to the NBA.

    He's listed as 6-4... which means he's probably not 6-4.

    I think he will be burned by being a tweener... Another of a long line of SG's in a PG's body. How well he can work on his game as PG will probably go a long way toward deciding his ultimate fate in the NBA.

    In HS and college his athleticism and strength allow him to be a notch above other players. In the NBA his strength won't be such a factor, especially when it's negated by 6-6+ players defending him. And there's obviously more concentrated athleticism in the NBA than there is in HS or even college.

    He won't be able to use his strength and athleticism nearly as much to bail himself out of a bad decision or bad place in the NBA.

    Obviously, there are some players that transcend their size and are able to play outside of where their size would normally have them penciled in. I've yet to truly see that from Eric Gordon tho.

    In fact, if I was him that is another reason I'd bail on college after this season... Leaving HS it's all about 'potential'... the longer you are around college the scouts tend to expect that potential to be fulfilled and even expand into new horizons.

    He's almost a project player. Can he be an NBA PG? ...Or is his ceiling so high that he can be an undersized SG and turn his size into an advantage?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  22. #22
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,419

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I project him to be a Steve Francis type of player with a better ability to distribute the ball, and much better intangibles. Steve Francis, though his recent exploits taint his reputation, had a load of talent and could have been an All-Star caliber player if he had any work ethic and a better head on his shoulders.

    It would be stupid for any freshman leading the Big 10 in scoring and getting as much cred as Gordon to not come out after one year in college. What if he destroys his knee against Northwestern next year and can never play in the pros? Education can always wait, athletics not so much. He needs to cash that check. Could he improve in college, sure, anyone could. But is it the best business decision for him to stay one more year? Hell no.

  23. #23
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy and we all know how NBA ready he was.

    His combination of outside shooting and athleticism is rare. I think his lack of height is a negative though. At best he'll be Kevin Martin at worst he'll be John Starks.

    Well the way the Pacers play I think he would be perfect in our offense, in that we need the drive and kick and the long range J. I think he'll be just fine once he utilizes a little more mid range game. The way he is doing things now, it is either 25+ ft away or right at the rim. He has mid range ability, but you rarely see him use it. I've been his biggest fan all year and thats one thing i would like to see more of. It would make him more effective on the screen and rolls as well. Also maybe a nice little floater. A well known floater would draw the defense just far enough from the rim, forcing them to challenge him slightly earlier in penetration, he could use his athletic ability to get an inch on them and draw contact more when taking it to the hoop against the NBA bigs.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

  24. #24
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,258
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally still have questions about how his game will translate to the NBA.

    He's listed as 6-4... which means he's probably not 6-4.

    I think he will be burned by being a tweener... Another of a long line of SG's in a PG's body. How well he can work on his game as PG will probably go a long way toward deciding his ultimate fate in the NBA.

    In HS and college his athleticism and strength allow him to be a notch above other players. In the NBA his strength won't be such a factor, especially when it's negated by 6-6+ players defending him. And there's obviously more concentrated athleticism in the NBA than there is in HS or even college.

    He won't be able to use his strength and athleticism nearly as much to bail himself out of a bad decision or bad place in the NBA.

    Obviously, there are some players that transcend their size and are able to play outside of where their size would normally have them penciled in. I've yet to truly see that from Eric Gordon tho.

    In fact, if I was him that is another reason I'd bail on college after this season... Leaving HS it's all about 'potential'... the longer you are around college the scouts tend to expect that potential to be fulfilled and even expand into new horizons.

    He's almost a project player. Can he be an NBA PG? ...Or is his ceiling so high that he can be an undersized SG and turn his size into an advantage?
    Dwayne Wade?

    But no he can't run the point effectively enough to be a starting NBA Point Guard. He would be able to play backup for about at the position tho.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  25. #25
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: do you all really think eric gordon will be ready for NBA next year??

    I look forward to EJ being passed on by teams because of a lack of size.

Similar Threads

  1. Hollinger's "All Break Out" and "All-Decline" Teams
    By JayRedd in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •