Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Smith has a couple Pacer Blurbs

Default Sam Smith has a couple Pacer Blurbs

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ulls-headlines

The Knicks' knack

They'd prefer to Fire Isiah in New York, so I'll have to work on rebuilding the team.

The Knicks need a point guard. A lot of teams do, but the Knicks really do—they're stuck with Stephon Marbury, and he should be a shooting guard. Jamal Crawford is a sixth-man shooter.

As Houston's Rafer Alston, a shooting point guard from New York, noted last week: "They need a floor general. Right now they have score-first guards. Some nights in the Knicks' box score, the guards only have two, three assists." I'm not sure it would be a great idea as New Yorkers returning home often hasn't worked. But it appears the Pacers are done with Jamaal Tinsley and are about to make some moves.

Travis Diener replaced Tinsley over the weekend, and while Tinsley had been having something of a revival season with Rick Carlisle gone, he probably cinched his exit last week.

The Pacers were playing the Suns tough in Phoenix, taking them to overtime. But Tinsley missed eight shots in the fourth quarter and still took 10 of the team's 11 shots in overtime.

A package including an activity player like Renaldo Balkman or Mardy Collins and an expiring contract ought to be enough for the Knicks to get him.

New Nets executive Kiki Vandeweghe, a great shooter in his time, listed his top shooters for the Newark Star Ledger: "There's no question Jerry West belongs there. He had the picture-perfect jump shot. You have to put Mark Price in there. He was textbook. Reggie Miller was one of the best, but he had his elbow out a little bit. Larry Bird had it behind his head a little bit. I would also put Dale Ellis in there: He was the best 'simple' shooter there ever was—just put it on his shoulder and shot-put it up. Jerry Lucas was like that—on the shoulder, bang."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sam Smith has a couple Pacer Blurbs

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ulls-headlines

The Knicks' knack

They'd prefer to Fire Isiah in New York, so I'll have to work on rebuilding the team.

The Knicks need a point guard. A lot of teams do, but the Knicks really do—they're stuck with Stephon Marbury, and he should be a shooting guard. Jamal Crawford is a sixth-man shooter.

As Houston's Rafer Alston, a shooting point guard from New York, noted last week: "They need a floor general. Right now they have score-first guards. Some nights in the Knicks' box score, the guards only have two, three assists." I'm not sure it would be a great idea as New Yorkers returning home often hasn't worked. But it appears the Pacers are done with Jamaal Tinsley and are about to make some moves.

Travis Diener replaced Tinsley over the weekend, and while Tinsley had been having something of a revival season with Rick Carlisle gone, he probably cinched his exit last week.

The Pacers were playing the Suns tough in Phoenix, taking them to overtime. But Tinsley missed eight shots in the fourth quarter and still took 10 of the team's 11 shots in overtime.

A package including an activity player like Renaldo Balkman or Mardy Collins and an expiring contract ought to be enough for the Knicks to get him.

New Nets executive Kiki Vandeweghe, a great shooter in his time, listed his top shooters for the Newark Star Ledger: "There's no question Jerry West belongs there. He had the picture-perfect jump shot. You have to put Mark Price in there. He was textbook. Reggie Miller was one of the best, but he had his elbow out a little bit. Larry Bird had it behind his head a little bit. I would also put Dale Ellis in there: He was the best 'simple' shooter there ever was—just put it on his shoulder and shot-put it up. Jerry Lucas was like that—on the shoulder, bang."

I thought somebody around here had theorized that JT took all of those shots with JOB's knowledge if not blessing.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

That is interesting. I have to give it some thought .

There was something about Tinsley's game last night against the Warriors that reminded me of the Jamaal from the past two or three seasons than the Jamaal from this season. Not sure why, but his defense was behind bad again and he seemed to have a really weird look on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I thought somebody around here had theorized that JT took all of those shots with JOB's knowledge if not blessing.
    I think it was with O'Brien's blessing that JT had the ball and was trying to create offense, I hardly think that Jim was happy with every shot that Jamaal took.

I wonder if Sam is getting this info from his sources or if he is just making a stabb at a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    There was something about Tinsley's game last night against the Warriors that reminded me of the Jamaal from the past two or three seasons than the Jamaal from this season. Not sure why, but his defense was behind bad again and he seemed to have a really weird look on his face.
    He starting playing grudge ball when Ellis intercepted his pass.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take Balkman over Collins.

Smith is off the mark on this one, however, with our situation at PG, I don't think we'd trade Tinsley unless we got a PG (even if it is only backup caliber) in return. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking only about the lack of talent at PG, but moreso the lack of even warm bodies to play the position.

I wonder if Sam is getting this info from his sources or if he is just making a stabb at a rumor
    It is Monday.

TD didn't replace Tinsley either.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I'd take Balkman over Collins.

Smith is off the mark on this one, however, with our situation at PG, I don't think we'd trade Tinsley unless we got a PG (even if it is only backup caliber) in return. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking only about the lack of talent at PG, but moreso the lack of even warm bodies to play the position.
    I agree, unless we are planning and have in the works a couple of trades one of which will bring in a point guard.

Tinsley and Harrison for Collins and Malik Rose?

or just Tinsley for Collins and Jerome James?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

knowing the knicks we would get some picks

Though we don't exactly need another SF, Renaldo would be oh so fantastic for us. That's our lockdown perimeter player right there, and his energy and knack for rebounding/grabbing loose balls is both uncanny and infectious. I would absolutely love a deal where we give up JT and Quis for Balkman and Q.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

I'd be all for getting Balkman and an expiring contract, but I'll believe it when I see, which means I never will.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I see where Starbury was inexplicably DNP last night.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Does NY still own their 1st rounder this year ?

I would love this. 2 contracts that end after next year same time we will need it to resign granger, Diogu or go after a free agent. I would be happy if we did this and just told Starbury to stay home. See if we can buy him out or just wait it out. Malik we could use he knows the what defense is at least. Curry would do better closer to his home town and in a smaller market. NY is hard to play in. Plus we cut the connection to the brawl and we get rid of the franchis killer aka Murphy. We go young and see what happens with Williams and Diogu at the PF spot with Curry and Foster at Center. We will probably in the hunt for a top 3 pick but the way I see it I think I could live seeing Gordon or Rose in a pacers uniform next year.

Change in Team Outlook: -9.3 ppg, -8.6 rpg, and -7.4 apg.

Incoming Players
    Malik Rose
    6-7 PF from Drexel
    1.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.5 minutes
    Eddy Curry
    6-11 C from Thornwood (HS)
    14.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 27.7 minutes
    Stephon Marbury
    6-2 PG from Georgia Tech
    13.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.7 apg in 33.5 minutes
    1st Round pick

Outgoing Players
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    13.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 8.5 apg in 34.4 minutes
    Troy Murphy
    6-11 PF from Notre Dame
    10.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 26.1 minutes
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS)
    15.8 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 32.0 minutes

streets ahead

given how hard JOB runs practices... i kinda think trading for curry is a bad idea.

Former Bull Eddy Curry took a shot at Chicago GM John Paxson for his timing on the Scott Skiles firing.

"It was crazy they let him go Christmas Eve," Curry said.

Paxson would not give Curry a long-term deal because of his irregular heartbeat. Curry is not a fan of Paxson - or of Skiles.

"He's extremely hard on you, especially (when) you're going as hard as you can and he continues to push us," Curry said. "I'm pretty sure you can only take so much."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01082008...nch_457512.htm

also, when was the last time sam smith was right about anything?
    This is the darkest timeline.

I strongly dislike Curry. I'd rather something like this.

JO/Murph/Tins/Hulk for
    Starbury/Rose/Lee/Balkman/Collins/Morris.

NY has no picks this year, and no 2nd-rounder next year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I strongly dislike Curry. I'd rather something like this.

JO/Murph/Tins/Hulk for
    Starbury/Rose/Lee/Balkman/Collins/Morris.

NY has no picks this year, and no 2nd-rounder next year.
    New York actually has their own first round pick this year. (#3 right now)
    Utah only gets it if it's 24th or beyond. It's top 23 protected.

There's just no way I see the Knicks not having their own pick.

More on NY.

The following article speculates that Isiah is wanting to get fired.

I've thought for some time isiah's been messing up to get a good pick in the draft and Dolan was down with it, thus the reason Isiah hasn't been fired.

It would appear everyone in NY wants Isiah out of the Knick job, including Isiah, and Dolan. The difference is Isiah wants to be fired so he can collect his full contract, and Dolan wants him to just quit, so he won't have to pay him. That means this could get interesting.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/

Question: Has there been conjecture about an Artest/Shareef (Abdur-Rahim)/(Kenny) Thomas trade to New York for Stephon Marbury with David Lee and/or a first round pick? This would free-up $21 million after next season. It would also allow the Kings to trade Bibby to Miami for Udonis Haslem, Jason Williams and a draft pick reducing salaries by $9 million after this season. When Kevin Martin's new contract kicks-in next year, the Kings will have to pay a luxury tax. Marbury, Martin, Salmons, Haslem, Miller starting with Beno, Francisco Garcia and Mikki Moore/Lee off the bench is solid and the picks and cap room after 2008-09 facilitate a major improvement in the roster. - H Cardinal, Carmichael, Calif.

Answer: Truthfully, I don't have the time to check all your work but I like where you're going for the most part. First off, I'm wondering if everything regarding New York is on hold again. Numerous league sources have informed me that embattled Knicks coach Isiah Thomas has been turning down decent deals left and right, meanwhile driving those around him in Knicks Land batty and, according to the New York Daily News, possibly pushing owner Joe Dolan to fire him. They have been dangling Jamal Crawford in discussions, but I'm told they still won't give up David Lee. That much is bad news for the Kings, who have shown an interest in Lee in the past and would certainly want him in any Artest deal.
    -------------

So, what if Isiah is wanting to make trades, but Dolan is telling him no? Thus Isiah secures a good draft pick for the Knicks and then Dolan fires him after the season, or after the Knicks are assured or a good lottery pick.

Mood

That is interesting. I have to give it some thought .

I thought the same thing UB. I think he might have taken it personally when Deiner went nuts against the Kings and Tins only got 5 minutes in the second half of that game.

Not sure of this speculation, but maybe he has a power trip, whether it be AJ, Saras, Army, McLeod, or now Deiner and Owens getting his minutes. Maybe he sees he is not the heir apparent again and feels threatened again. If thats the case, then he has proven again that he can be a horrible teammate. Kills chemistry on the floor and in the locker room.

As I mentioned in the postgame thread Tinsley was somehwere else last night. That was the first game he's really given less than 100% in a long time. (The lazy passing, no d, and bickering with Dunleavy and Granger would be my 3 examples of him mailing it in). I have it on good authority that he bolted from the locker room very quickly last night. If these type of games start piling up than we definitely have to move him. It's sad because the Pacers have given Tinsley chance after chance to turn it around and he refuses to change.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd take a chance on Marbury for at least the rest of the season. We only have two ways to go with Starbury running the point: He either a) turns it around, plays up to his potential and gets us to the playoffs or b) continues to be the same old Starbury, meaning we continue to suck and drop down even farther record wise which would give us a legit shot at Eric Gordon.

Mood

I want david lee....
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

JT is about as stable emotionally as T.O. is. He's only happy
    when he's being coddled and everything is going his way.

If the Knicks want him, I'd be on the phone ASAP.

Could it be Tinsley is uncoachable.. Isiah was finished with him. Rick was finished with him. Now there's friction and we're on our 3rd coach??

This is the kind of crap that has the Pacers in the mess they are in now with fans. We try and coddle the problem rather than just taking our medicine, cutting out the cancer, and then moving on.

We hold out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY past the expiration date on a player, likely over-valuing him along the way, and then end up thoroughly behind the 8-Ball when the festering problem is spotlighted for the whole league to see.

Until management and/or ownership changes that modus operandi, we're screwed. And if they don't change it they'll end up blaming fans for their need to move the franchise when in reality to find the real reason, all they need to do is look in the mirror.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bnd45 View Post
    As I mentioned in the postgame thread Tinsley was somehwere else last night. That was the first game he's really given less than 100% in a long time. (The lazy passing, no d, and bickering with Dunleavy and Granger would be my 3 examples of him mailing it in). I have it on good authority that he bolted from the locker room very quickly last night. If these type of games start piling up than we definitely have to move him. It's sad because the Pacers have given Tinsley chance after chance to turn it around and he refuses to change.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd take a chance on Marbury for at least the rest of the season. We only have two ways to go with Starbury running the point: He either a) turns it around, plays up to his potential and gets us to the playoffs or b) continues to be the same old Starbury, meaning we continue to suck and drop down even farther record wise which would give us a legit shot at Eric Gordon.

My Tinsley tolerence level is very low. I do not like hearing that. I hate doing this and I often criticize others for making such assumptions based upon a very short glimpse - but Tinsley did not look too happy on the bench in the second half of the Kings game. He probably was not happy with being replaced by Travis.

The Pacers basically gave this team to Tinsley this season - he's been allowed to play exactly as he always wanted - but it appears he might be throwing one of his notorious fits. (anyone want to make any bets on whether he plays Wednesday night)