Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Colts make the playoffs next season,

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Should the Colts make the playoffs next season,

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't always backfire, and like I said, it's preference, just like fouling with a three point lead in the NBA. But if you want to get technical, and try to snipe your point across without actually posting any figures, you came up with one example of a team that may have benefited from resting starters, and I can think of one example of a team that suffered due to resting it's starters (Colts), and another two teams that benefited by not resting starters in week 17 (Pats, Giants).

Who's right? Probably nobody. But I didn't need sarcasm to try to make people feel stupid about their opinion to get my point across.
    How do you know they benefited? No more than I know the Packers did. For all you know the teams that didn't rest only made it closer than it would have been, or the Packers 2 early TO's were due to rest.

Frankly the Colts were at their best to START the game, as in when the rust should have been there. And I'm not sure how playing the week before helped the Chargers with Gates hurt and then LT and Rivers added to that list.

I mean the Colts rested the starters the final week of the pre-season. Then they pounded the snot out of the Saints.

"Rust" is intangible, it's impossible to be sure if it's helped or hurt to play. Only one aspect is certain, you don't get injured if you don't play. Again, just ask LT or Rivers.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-14-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Mood

I can't believe all of the negative stuff so far. The Colts will be the Colt's next year, just like they were this year. We'll be getting Dwight Freeney, Booger, Morris back from IR and we'll be real good on D next year with our young guns getting this year as true experience. On offense our O line will be better with some more time to get continuity within the unit. Another year in the offense of Joe Addai, Tony Gonzales and Kenton Keith will show a big upgrade. We'll be ok, well not ok, really damn good. Some minor tweaks with special teams and possibly a heir apparent to Marvin, someone like James Hardy if he slips to the 2nd round. If not make a trade for a plethera of late picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    How do you know they benefited? No more than I know the Packers did. For all you know the teams that didn't rest only made it closer than it would have been, or the Packers 2 early TO's were due to rest.

Frankly the Colts were at their best to START the game, as in when the rust should have been there. And I'm not sure how playing the week before helped the Chargers with Gates hurt and then LT and Rivers added to that list.

I mean the Colts rested the starters the final week of the pre-season. Then they pounded the snot out of the Saints.

"Rust" is intangible, it's impossible to be sure if it's helped or hurt to play. Only one aspect is certain, you don't get injured if you don't play. Again, just ask LT or Rivers.
    Do I need to go into all the ways you can be injured by not playing? People get injured in practice all the time, and I've heard several reports over the years where players injure themselves simply by tripping over a coffee table and breaking a toe or something similar. At best, you can say that you reduce the likelihood of being injured by resting. Then again, you can reduce the likelihood of being rusty by playing.

Look, we can go all day back and forth on this. Let's agree to disagree. For the record, thank you for actually showing up to support your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Do I need to go into all the ways you can be injured by not playing? People get injured in practice all the time, and I've heard several reports over the years where players injure themselves simply by tripping over a coffee table and breaking a toe or something similar.
    Or a wife/girlfriend might stab you in the leg before a big game...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, of course we will be in the playoffs. We will probably end up with the #2 seed again. But I agree with you that I rather not have that because we always seem to be a little slower after the bye weeks.

Freeney being out also hurt us.. And remember, we had the biggest guy on the team out the whole year.. Booger will be back next year.

Peter King talked about the rest/don't rest issue in his Monday Morning QB column:

Still think it's a good idea to rest your players for the playoffs in Weeks 16 and 17?

The Bucs and Colts went to a spa the last half of December and lost to underdogs at home in their first playoff games. That's the second time in three years it's happened to Indy.

The Packers barely rested their guys and looked like the '58 Colts in whipping the Seahawks.

New England, Green Bay and New York rested no one; they're 4-0 combined. The Giants, in fact, were badly slumping entering Week 17 with nothing to play for. Since then, they nearly knocked off the best team in the league and have won two road playoff games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nal/index.html