Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champs No More

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Champs No More

Congrats to the Chargers. They simply outplayed us today and deserved the win.

Congrats to the Pats. I don't like them, and I don't respect them, but there's no doubt they'll be winning the Super Bowl now.

Farewell Dungy, and thanks for bringing us a championship. Even though your career ended in disappointment, I will never forget that we are the 2006 Super Bowl Champions.

Farewell Marvin? I really think his career may be over.

R.I.P. RCA Dome

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Champs No More

We'll always be the 2006 Champs, and to be honest with you I always just begged for one championship, and now of course I'm getting greedy but I guess that's only natural.

And how are you sure that Dungy is leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll always be the 2006 Champs, and to be honest with you I always just begged for one championship, and now of course I'm getting greedy but I guess that's only natural.

And how are you sure that Dungy is leaving?
    I only really ever wanted one as well, but more than one is always better.

Just a gut feeling about Dungy. I just think he's burned out.

Well, at least the Colts managed to win one. Before that, I wasn't so sure I'd live to see any Indiana sports team win any championship. I was really hoping that the Colts would win and establish themselves as one of the better teams of the decade. But now New England is gonna go and make a dynasty of themselves and completely overshadow the Colts. It's like adding insult to injury. This one is going to sting for a while.

I'm not so sure Dungy's leaving. But if he is, the Colts need to beg the hell out of Bill Cowher to come step in. I don't see it happening though. #1, I think Cowher really wants to spend at least a couple seasons away from the game and #2, I think the Colts would rather have Jim Caldwell step in and not have changes to a system that's already in place.

That said, I think an offer to coach a good team like the Colts would have to be pretty tempting to Cowher.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

I still can't comprehend how it is possible to lose this game, but with that said I figured we'd either win by 14+ or lose a close game. As soon as Marvin fumbled and they went down to score, I had a bad feeling all game long.

We made so many mistakes on defense it wasted all the help the officials gave us. It looked like they were trying to help us win to get that premier matchup, but no we somehow kept finding ways to mess it all up. Just feel like throwing up!

As for Dungy....not sure... but my gut tells me he won't like going out this pathetic way and come back to open up the new stadium he and his players helped build with their success on the field.

I thought we were the only team that had a shot at taking out the Patriots, but obviously we can't even beat an average San Diego team to get there. The only way the Pats lose now is if Brady goes down with an injury.

Still can't believe we lost.....can't grasp it....no way this should have happened...but it always seems to happen............................................ .........

water

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'm happy we won one, and to do it against the pats on our way through the way we did last year you couldn't have scripted a dream year any better.

The only reason I wanted us to win one more is cause I really refuse to believe Brady is better than Manning you can dig up stats, flash his rings, and call me a homer, whatever Manning is better. It also tickles me that I bet the network covering the AFCCG is pissed that they won't get the matchup they wanted and their won't be a crazy tremendous amount of hype going into the game.

I'm just gonna look forward to our next season in our pimp new stadium and hopefully a 2nd championship.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I'm happy we won one, and to do it against the pats on our way through the way we did last year you couldn't have scripted a dream year any better.

The only reason I wanted us to win one more is cause I really refuse to believe Brady is better than Manning you can dig up stats, flash his rings, and call me a homer, whatever Manning is better. It also tickles me that I bet the network covering the AFCCG is pissed that they won't get the matchup they wanted and their won't be a crazy tremendous amount of hype going into the game.

I'm just gonna look forward to our next season in our pimp new stadium and hopefully a 2nd championship.

Homer.

What it really came down to is the Colts defense and Marvin Harrison really didn't show up all game. And Peyton Manning didn't show up with the game on the line. San Diego is a very talented team, and they somehow always manages to get an ugly win against you guys much like Denver had done to NE the past few years. I'm somewhat disappointed now because I really think the Pats are going to blow the Chargers out. But I also thought the Colts would end up winning in a blowout...so you never really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Homer.

What it really came down to is the Colts defense and Marvin Harrison really didn't show up all game. And Peyton Manning didn't show up with the game on the line. San Diego is a very talented team, and they somehow always manages to get an ugly win against you guys much like Denver had done to NE the past few years. I'm somewhat disappointed now because I really think the Pats are going to blow the Chargers out. But I also thought the Colts would end up winning in a blowout...so you never really know.
    Pats-Chargers will be ugly, yes.

As for Marvin, I think he's done. I'd be really, really surprised to see him on the team next year. For WR right now we have a big hole that will hopefully be addressed.

Manning is a very, very good QB and might have somewhat better numbers than Brady, but I'd still rather have Brady for a big game like today. Peyton Manning to me is the second best QB in the league, he may have more talent so to say than Brady, but Brady is always there when it counts. Manning, not so much. But Peyton did play pretty well today, he wasn't the reason we lost and we should have never been in that position to have to win the game for us. It was a combination of bad defense and some bad breaks.

If we don't address our nascent pass rush and don't fill any hole at WR during the offseason, enjoy your few years of AFC and probably league dominance. And I called you a troll one time I think, which you're not, sorry about that

No pass rush was teh killer on D. Cover-2 only works well when
    the DL generates pressure. No Freeney hurt a ton.

Offensively, too many points left on the field in the red zone.

No clue if Dungy will be back. If not, Caldwell will be da man.

Marvin ? That'll be interesting. If he was any other WR at his
    age and compensation, he'd probably be cut to save a bunch
    of $$$. But considering his career here, that likely won't
    happen.

We are the champs of 2006. I don't care if Dungy leaves. I HOPE the Giants or GB upset the Pats. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats have two straight undefeated seasons, though. Unless we start spending some money in the free agency market, signing big time Defensive players and Tall receivers no one is stopping them.

I would be suprised to see Marvin back, Dungy too. More of a gut feeling with Dungy.

Will be interesting to see what is done this off season. Not just because of the Marvin situation but because the Colts don't have their first round pick this draft.

What wide receiver should the Colts go after? Draft, trade, free agency, whatever. Who do you guys think would be good to add to the team?

Harrison was awful today and couldn't even play the most 2 important drives of the season. But that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has followed his injury for the past 3 or so months. It's not like he was going to magically swoop in there and pick up 100 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

Harrison clearly wasn't ready to play today. We would have been better off without him. I can't help but think the spin move was to show everyone that he could be effective. He wasn't even hit that hard.

Thanks for everything, Marvin, but there is a time for every athlete to hang it up. Maybe your time has come, though I certainly hope not.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-14-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I think we need to re-sign and get as many players that we want under contract.

We should continue to draft defense, get healthy, look forward to 2008 campaign.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Harrison was awful today and couldn't even play the most 2 important drives of the season. But that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has followed his injury for the past 3 or so months. It's not like he was going to magically swoop in there and pick up 100 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

Harrison clearly wasn't ready to play today. We would have been better off without him. I can't help but think the spin move was to show everyone that he could be effective. He wasn't even hit that hard.

Thanks for everything, Marvin, but there is a time for every athlete to hang it up.

Yeah as much as it hurts to say it's time for Marvin to step down. Anthony G looks like he should be able to step in and I've been impressed with Houz with the time he's in there. Offense will be fine, it's the defense and we are going to have to find a corner that has some height and speed.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

We got beat by their scrubs.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think Dungy and Polian thought they were cute by keeping opponents guessing about Harrison. That kind of backfired today.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    We got beat by their scrubs.
    That's what stings the most. LT didn't play the 2nd half and Rivers sat out most of the half too. And the defense STILL couldn't get some necessary stops. I don't care if Billy Volek is a solid backup, he's still a backup.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Dream Big

Wtf happened to Peyton in the last minutes of the 4th? What a choke job, he should be ashamed of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    Wtf happened to Peyton in the last minutes of the 4th? What a choke job, he should be ashamed of himself.
    Why because he went for the home run play? It's not like we could still score once we got inside the 20.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    Explain this to me?
    Was it the dropped pass to Clark, or the drop pass to Wayne? The fumble by Marvin, the Dropped pass by Keith? Peyton couldn't of thrown them any softer or better to any of those receivers. This isn't Peyton's fault, give me a break, blame it on anyone expect Peyton.

No matter what happens, someone always wants to lay the blame on Peyton.

Nobody's perfect (except Brady, apparently). But this loss was 90% on the defense.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    Explain this to me?
    Was it the dropped pass to Clark, or the drop pass to Wayne? The fumble by Marvin, the Dropped pass by Keith? Peyton couldn't of thrown them any softer or better to any of those receivers. This isn't Peyton's fault, give me a break, blame it on anyone expect Peyton.
    i'm blaming it on my friend beth. feel free to join me.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i'm blaming it on my friend beth. feel free to join me.
    You suck, Beth!

Beth has been shaky all year! It really caught up with the team today.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Yeah as much as it hurts to say it's time for Marvin to step down. Anthony G looks like he should be able to step in and I've been impressed with Houz with the time he's in there. Offense will be fine, it's the defense and we are going to have to find a corner that has some height and speed.

I'm not ready to entirely send him out to pasture yet, but I have a feeling there's a knee surgery in his future that was put off because it would've certainly ended his season and the Colts didn't want to do that... and there was a chance time and rehab could get him well enough to contribute.

But at Marvin's age, does he really want to go thru all of that? He doesn't need to unless this season bother's him as being the final chapter. And, even IF he does WANT to do whatever it takes to comeback next season, is his body going to cooperate? Maybe part of the problem this season was that Marvin didn't want the surgery in the first place?

And lastly, can we (Colts) afford to wait and find out?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden