Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Kings Post Game 38: Pacers snap losing streak

Default Re: Pacers/Kings Post Game 38: Pacers snap losing streak

Technically, he did start the second half. Diener was playing out of his mind and frankly Tinsley looked tired all night long. I still don't see the point in playing someone nearly 20 minutes straight for the second game in a row. Jamaal did that VS the Suns and Travis did that tonight. Surely there's a better way to divy up the minutes.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why didn't Tinsley play in the second half?
    He did. Left at 5:11 of the 3rd. We had a 65-53 lead at half. It was 71-67 when JT sat down. Didn't come back in.

I draw no conclusions, but them's the facts.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-13-2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: bad facts
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Dude, um...why don't you just...go to sleep. It's late and you're obviously cranky. Night-night.

I think perhaps the Pacers could build on this. I doubt they'll win both games against the Warriors, but I'm hopeful that they can. Maybe they've finally found a winning formula in going 1 Big, 4 "small" out there. We shall see over the next 8 games or so.
    Not sleepy, just not lulled into a false sense of hope by a our over achieving squad. It may sound un-fan like of me, but I refuse to get "to up after a win" as Peck always quotes, especially against a team like Sacto. A real fan looks for the future of the franchise, not just the current. I would rather lose for 2-3 and win for 10 than win for 2 years and lose for 8. Just my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation to sleep though, I might just do that now that MSU lost and I'm headed to the IU/ U of I game tomorrow to watch a team with an actual chance to win a championship this year.
    Last edited by jmoney2584; 01-13-2008 at 03:37 AM.

I really, really like the way Diener runs the offense. The way he willingly throws the ball ahead, the leadership and demeanor he demonstrates on the court I think is perfect. Yes, I realize his defense isn't good, and I realize he cannot penetrate against a set defense very well, but I really like his game. He has a certain toughness or confidence that is surprising - he isn't afraid.

I'm liking the small ball

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm liking the small ball
    Yep. Big yep.

I'm wondering if we might quit seeing such a difference in FTAs, us vs them, with the smaller, better spaced, more slashing line-up? True in the Kings game, although, yeh, just one game...but wouldn't that be a nice long-term benefit. That free throw differential has been damaging.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

I'm not all debbie downer on this win, i am definitely pleased with the individual pluses in this game. Diener=bravo, I always like me some Sean Williams, he just always seems smooth. Thats about it, if they can do this against a quality team with this whole small ball game they are running I will be a little more impressed, but when the only two teams you have beaten in the last 10 games are the Kings and the Hawks then that is not saying much no matter WHO played well.

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    I don't get all the JO hate from the game tonight. The Pacers continued to dump it to him because Sac was quickly double teaming any time he touched the ball in the post. They applied some good pressure and forced him to turn it over more times than you would like, but overall he played a pretty quality game. Got to the line 10 times and dished out 5 assists. Isn't that the type of game that all you people whining about him want? Not to mention the fact he probably could have had 8+ assists if the open shots the double team was producing would have been hit.

Funny, how folks who like him see all the good he did and those of us who don't saw the oppostite....guess it goes with the territory. Even the one King fan on the board tonight was happy everytime JO came in because they'd go from 10 down to within a couple points because everytime he came in....we'd force feed him, he'd either have the ball stolen or throw up a bad shot and the other team would come back.

He never goes for offensive rebounds...stands around and watches the ball hit the floor and a Sacremento guy pick it up. Blocks one shot...acts like he's God's gift to basketball and loafs around woofing about it rather than going down court and helping the team score. Then he gets fouled hard and starts woofing at the player that fouled him. Still very immature. A) your supposed to block shots, get rebounds and make shots...stop gloating about one measly block. B) your going to get fouled hard, get over it and knock down the free throws.

As someone suggested, we really need to treat him like Bob Sanders last year and Marvin this year and just keep him out of games until he's near 100% and practicing regularly. Its painful to watch him play at about 50%.

And yes the FTs at the end were important...but he's not bringing his A game anymore.

Water

I think these last 2 games, we've seen the Diener that a lot of us expected after the signing, and the same guy Orlando fans hated to see go. Hope he can stay consistent and healthy b/c he could be a valuable player for us.

Especially at the PG position where Tinsley is hit or miss, both on and off the court.

I actually think we would have won the Suns game had he not hurt his ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    It is a tragedy, though, that Foster only got 2 minutes tonight.
    NO IT'S NOT! WE WON!

Sports Logo

I just got home from the Kings/Pacers game and wanted to upload the few pictures that actually came out half-way decent:

Granger and JONeal came out about 45 minutes before the start of the game to practice some shots:

This is the closest that I have ever been to JONeal:

Here is JONeal shaking Artest's hand before the start of the game:

More Artest sitting and watching:

Tip Off:

Dunleavy taking a FT Shot:

Proof that Foster played:

Marquis, Shawne, Diener, Murphy and Dunleavy:

Dunleavy Jumpball with Francisco Garcia ( I think he lost this jumpball ):

I will post more about the few comments that I have about this game.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-13-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

RONNIE!!!!!!!!

Is the Diener-mobile still running? If not someone needs to put some gas in and fire
    that baby up. :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Dee - ner!!!

Dee - ner!!!

Dee - ner!!!

Very good game from the young man. He looked confident out there also. Can he stay this consistent though? Its just 2 games so far. I certainly hope so. Remember, he was pretty good in pre-season, then fell off after the season started.

I like how Obie keeps tinkering with the lineup, and that he is going with the people that are hot and staying with them until they start to fail. I know its hard to get consistent chemistry with this but still, I think its good for this team. It keeps everybody on their toes.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on Quisy's rebound throw-down. I didn't read the game thread, and I'm sure it got mentioned there. But I think it deserves mention here too. Thats one of the best dunks from a Pacer that I have seen in a long time. It should be on some highlight reels for a while. Did it make sportscenter's top ten? It had to of, didn't it? In relative basketball terms, it was an easy dunk, but it was absolutely sick watching it. Awesome dunk Quisy!!!!

A lot of people were clowning Diener saying he's garbage and stuff. But I knoew he's a good PG. I hope he plays tonight against Golden State.

They should put Marquis at the 1 and Diener at the two. But still have Diener bring it up the floor. We're usually successful when both of them are in the back court.

Jermaine doesn't even need to shoot the ball. He should be used as a decoy, cause no matter what people say, he's still a low post threat. He got our team so many open shots last night, too bad it was during that stretch when we couldn't hit anything.

But small ball works, and I like the fact that Kareem is in the starting line up. He's just going to get better from here
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    Dee - ner!!!

Dee - ner!!!

Dee - ner!!!

Very good game from the young man. He looked confident out there also. Can he stay this consistent though? Its just 2 games so far. I certainly hope so. Remember, he was pretty good in pre-season, then fell off after the season started.

I like how Obie keeps tinkering with the lineup, and that he is going with the people that are hot and staying with them until they start to fail. I know its hard to get consistent chemistry with this but still, I think its good for this team. It keeps everybody on their toes.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on Quisy's rebound throw-down. I didn't read the game thread, and I'm sure it got mentioned there. But I think it deserves mention here too. Thats one of the best dunks from a Pacer that I have seen in a long time. It should be on some highlight reels for a while. Did it make sportscenter's top ten? It had to of, didn't it? In relative basketball terms, it was an easy dunk, but it was absolutely sick watching it. Awesome dunk Quisy!!!!
    Yeah, that dunk was nasty, I think he had two dunks in a row, that one, plus the one Jermaine set him up on
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

This team has been strange for most of the year. Deiner has somewhat looked like a flop... and then last night played like a guy who could lead a team at the point. Rush has been good lately when he also looked bad for a time. Making many of us believe that both were not going to be significant to the team. Quis's dunk was top dunk of the night on NBA.com... it was sick to watch. My local paper wrote an article about Tin and how he basically lost the game in o/t against Phx by taking all the shots. IMHO Deiners going to see more PT if Tin does not become a more pass first PG. It was nice to see the team step up at the end considering we have lost 5-6 games in the last 5 minutes.

Please don't think I'm comparing Deiner to Nash here. Last night he looked a lot like Nash in the way he was getting the ball up the court (very fast). It was somewhat impressive, by far our best PG play of the year. It helps to go 5-7 from 3, but the rest of his game was just as impressive.
    Last edited by aceace; 01-13-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

well, winning surely doesn't help our chances of getting eric gordon...

Sports Logo

About Tinsley not playing....I have no clue as to why he sat out the majority of the game. I heard on the Kings Post-Game radio show that he was listed as questionable. It's possible that there was some valid reason as to why he wasn't playing that many minutes.

As for Diener......I will admit that I was surprised that he took so many shots AND actually hitting them. Watching him play up close, he was trying to direct the players to get to their spots and was vocal. He was super quick and because of his size...he was able to get around. There was a play where Beno and ( I think ) Brad Miller ( or someone big ) was double-teaming him, and he was able to somehow squeeze out between the two of them and pass the ball out to Shawne or Dunleavy.

However, I don't want to take away from how he was doing ( cuz he did a good job ), but I think that his performance would have been different if he was playing against a far better PG like Bibby instead of Beno. Beno is basically the same type of quick and small scoring PG that Diener is....the difference is that Beno drives to the hoop more and Diener scores more from the outside....but in the end...both are backup quality PGs that can work out in the right situation.

I hope that Diener does continue to get some decent minutes as a backup PG....but against the Warriors...I think that he's going to simply be abused by Baron. Baron is simply bigger, way stronger and a way better scorer.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-13-2008 at 03:33 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Two good games from Diener and half the board forgets about the 22 other **** poor performances...

Glad we won, but c'mon people Diener has not done enough to be getting some of the praise he is receiving.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Two good games from Diener and half the board forgets about the 22 other **** poor performances...

Glad we won, but c'mon people Diener has not done enough to be getting some of the praise he is receiving.
    I think its more about finally seeing him come through. There were high hopes of him being a really good backup before the season. There were times I wondered why did the Pacers sign him for 3 years. Obviously the last two games is what DW/Bird saw, potential to be solid.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I think it's because they had no real low-post threat to worry about - might as well put Shawne out there instead. I liked how Dunleavy was guarding Mikki Moore tonight - that worked out surprisingly well.
    Not to be contrary or anything, but "guarding Mikki Moore" doesn't exactly require much defensive prowess.

I was truly impressed with Travis Diener and will give props to Mike Dunleavy who certainly seems to be flourishing in your offense.

As far as Jermaine O'Neal goes, I have him on one of my fantasy teams and he's been a major disappointment. From an outsider's POV, he just doesn't look like he cares. Last minute heroics notwithstanding, he did nothing to even resemble a franchise player.

But that's just my two cents. Now, please go into the Warriors camp and kick some major butt. Thanks ever so.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    I think its more about finally seeing him come through.
    True. And we have the Rush story to base some hope for Diener on. Same bad start, and now a pretty decent utility player, who may be a regular starter now if you believe the scouting report at pacers.com.

The very limited minutes in the other 22 games Diener played in weren't too impressive, but showed a couple of his strengths -- speed and being a spark for the team when he came in.

Maybe, with the extended minutes he's going to be getting (and Shawne) we'll see accelerated improvement from the youngsters. Heck, Ike might even start getting some more minutes and a chance to develop more, also, if O'B thinks he's got the size to be that one big on the floor with small-ball. He's got the mobility.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    Jermaine doesn't even need to shoot the ball. He should be used as a decoy, cause no matter what people say, he's still a low post threat. He got our team so many open shots last night, too bad it was during that stretch when we couldn't hit anything.
    Over the first half....I noticed that JONeal was barely used in the offensive end. At that point...we were able to build a good lead going into the half.

But when we started to try to get the ball to him more in the 2nd half....as expected....he was double and triple teamed whenever he got the ball.

As some have pointed out.....he either turned around and tried to score ( and miss ), turned it over ( which mainly happened ) or would pass it out and the wing player would miss. Although the player movement was slightly better, the rest of the team has to make more of an effort to move around to get into position for JONeal to pass to. I think that this has always been the key to playing JONeal ball, the players not only have to hit the shots when JONeal is able to pass the ball to them...they have to move around and get into the right spot for him to pass the ball to. Unfortunately, I still think that the team has a problem in trying to rotate around the perimeter to try to get to a spot where JONeal can see and pass the ball to.

However, getting JONeal more involved in the offense more is part of the reason why we started to lose the lead. Doing this, coupled with the rest of the team settling for 3pt shots is what lost us the lead AND having no answer for Kevin Martin is what made the game close.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    But small ball works, and I like the fact that Kareem is in the starting line up. He's just going to get better from here
    I think that what we will see more problems with players attacking the basket due to our Small Ball lineup.

When Kevin Martin stepped onto the court, I really thought that he would kill us from the perimeter. But because we only have 1 Big Man on the court......JONeal or a far less effective interior defender like Murphy....it makes it easier for players that are good at penetrating to the hoop to score. The majority of the points that Kevin Martin scored was from him attacking the hoop.

I think that it's going to be difficult for us to effectively implement our "pack it in and have them beat us from the perimeter" defense if we continue to play small ball. At least if Foster plays he can defend the paint ( way better then Murphy ) and Murphy can continue to shoot from the perimeter.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post

I agree with you that Deiner is more of a "situational" PG that can be used against the right lineup....but it doesn't detract from the way that he has played over the last 2 games.

In fact....if he hadn't hit those 3pt shots yesterday in the 4th QTR....I don't think that we would have won the game.

Cable, nice pics. Looks like you had nice seats. I'm curious, what was Tinsleys demeanor during the second half when the Pacers were playing well with Diener at point.