Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Least interest I have had in years

Default The Least interest I have had in years

I haven't completely fallen off of Pacers Island, but I can not tell you the last time I even watched a part of a game. After years and years in a row of knowing the season's outcome before it is played, it has just taken away all of my desire to watch the games. I only have so much time to watch sporting events, and the Hoosier football interest story, Colts Superbowl defense, and if I had a Dish... Hoosier basketball is also more appealing at the moment.

I don't mean to be a bandwagon fan, nor am I trying to argue against those of you who continue to support the Blue and Gold not only by watching them, but many of you often attend the games. I must say that I marvel and am somewhat envious of that type of patience, loyalty... whatever one calls that behavior.

I lurk on the board more to see how you all are vs. how the Pacers are doing. Well, hopefully I will eventually snap out of it. Is anybody else struggling to watch what they consider to be an exercise in futility? I just find it too painful to watch.

Kudos to those of you who are still rooting them on.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Default Re: The Least interest I have had in years

I've been thinking about posting the same exact thoughts for a couple weeks now. Its really very sad, I've been a fan for a very long time & stating last season I just seemed to loose interest.

It has also changed my posting here. Its difficult to post on the team when you don't watch the games.

I've seen a few quarters here & there but I haven't watched a full game all season. I can't tell you the last time that has happened.

I still check out the ticker to see how the game is going but I just can't seem to get up for a game.

Theres several reasons I guess. Several players I just don't like, the style of play, lack of a direction & inaction by management, just to name a few.

I really can't call myself a Pacer fan right now & its been almost 30 years since I've felt that way. Its nice when they win & not really a big deal to me when the loose. Thats not how its suppose to be & I hope something happens that can alter that.

Sorry to hear your waning interest in the P's. I'm a better lurker than poster, so for me, it's unfortunate when we lose good posters because of how the teams performance (and roster) has affected them.

I tend to automatically set my expectations of the team based on our talent level. Regardless if the team is championship caliber, playoff roadkill or in the race for the most lottery balls, I don't set my sights on achievements I don't think they're capable of. Yea I'm disappointed after a bad loss. I cuss a lot at the TV, find a scapegoat and then view all the stats and quotes to verify how bad it was. But then for me, the next game is around the corner and I'm all fired up for the tip off. Depending on the outcome, I may even have to adjust my expectations again.

Everyone reacts differently to how the team plays and we probably need both types of fans. Those that will follow the P's no matter what to always keep butts in the seats so the team stays in indy and those, like you, to ultimately send a message to TPTB that not everyone is going to watch just because you put 5 guys out on the floor.

Bottom line is, don't be so hard on yourselves, you may actually be doing this team a favor.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

The waning interest is quite understandable. After alot of losing, and dashed
    hopes, and let-downs, it really becomes fatiguing and sometimes downright
    depressing. In our natural quest to be happy, we may start to tune out
    whatever it is that is bringing us down.

It is almost like to remain an optimistic Pacer's fan, you either have to have
    an exceptionally high degree of mental "toughness", or be somehow deranged.

As far as not watching the games on TV goes, I can say that personally ever
    since they dropped televising the games on channel 4, or regular old-fashioned
    "free" TV, I've watched very few televised games all the way through.
    Since watching them on channel 4 was was a beloved tradition of mine for
    many years, I really hated when they moved almost solely to FSI (or
    whatever). While this is a move I know they had to make to bring in more
    revenue, I am one of those who steadfastly refuses to be railroaded into
    having to purchase cable or sattelite TV services. This means to catch a
    TV game all the way through usually involves finding a local watering hole
    willing to tune in the Pacers to watch it over a few cold suds, and I just
    don't have the free time or will to do that as much anymore than I used to.
    So the best way (for me at least) to now watch them is to get down to the
    Fieldhouse and watch them in person, which I've done a few times this year
    so far. If I don't get to somehow see the game, at least always make it a
    priority to listen to Mark & Slick's AM1070 broadcast which is also a very
    long time beloved tradition.

Simply put, things were sky high for Pacers fans back in the late '90s and
    alot of us got spoiled. Now that things suck by comparison, they are being
    tuned out by the masses. If they were to field a championship caliber
    team that was setting the league on fire, folks would become interested
    again really quickly. Until then, they will tune out what is depressing.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

I hate to admit it since i was always loyal, but i am honest aswell and i have to say that i am really starting to feel the same way.... and im sure that many here on this forum feel something similar aswell but are afraid to admit it.

For me at least and where i live its tough to even catch a NBA game live once per week, yet to see the Pacers play! When you finally see them play you become disappointed, because you dont expect the lack of excitement, you dont expect that the team you are rooting for doesnt give 100%, you dont expect to feel that nothing is happening, you dont expect to see and feel that there is no future and so on and so on...

But i will never give up on the Pacers! Hope not...

Banned

Hard to be interested in this mediocre, boring, going-nowhere-in-a-hurry team when the Colts are in the middle of the NFL playoffs, looking to repeat, and I.U. is the best they've been in years.

You are missing some pretty exciting games.

I'm a bit disinterested right now, too.

What's funny is that earlier in the year I thought things were going in the right direction. They were playing hard, the defensive rotations were good, people were cutting, passing, etc. They weren't consistent. There'd be bad quarters, halves, games, where they regressed, but seemed to be making progress. And that's all I wanted, progress. I don't expected them to be a real contender this year.

Now things seem to have gone in the dumpster.

Not sure why.

Hope they snap out of it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Doug, I think most of those things will be corrected.

Jose, I know you were a fan during the 70's, 80's and early 90's, so I just wonder why it is different now from those years when the team either wasn't good at all or average.

The only thing I will admit is that I don't take losses as hard as I used to, probably as a defensive mechanism, more than anything else.

One thing, I've noticed is when you don't watch a game, and the Pacers lose - you figure everything that happended within the game was bad. Same thing when they win, but you didn't watch it - you figure everything was good within the game. But when you watch the game you see things differently, you see the good and bad whether the Pacers win or lose.

I have completely missed 4 games this season and by that I mean, did not even listen on the radio or follow the score throughout the game. Work took me out of the country and family things over Thanksgiving took me out of the state - and it is foreign to me to miss a game or even a minute of a game - it just seems weird, it isn't something I ever want to get used to

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why it is different now from those years when the team either wasn't good at all or average.
    Internet message boards.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Doug, I think most of those things will be corrected.
    I think so, too. At least I want to think so.

My belief is that O'Brien was brought in to build a team that plays "the right way".

That his "no-nonsense", "no-BS" approach and a focus on defense, hustle, effort, on practicing hard, on raising what was expected of the players, would lay the foundation for the return to a team that we can be proud of. And one that would compete (eventually) for a championship.

Someone mentioned that the Pacers should have looked for a coach who could do for the Pacers what Tony Dungy has done for the Colts. I think they did, and I think that's why they picked O'Brien. (Not saying that O'Brien == Dungy and I don't want to take this thread there, but I see some similarities.)

With interest waning.
    Posting frequency declines.
    Elders fade away.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I'm just the opposite. I enjoy watching them play this
    year (particularly sans J.O.) more than I have the last
    2-3 years. As a hoops fan, I enjoy the open, free
    style of ball much more than the Carlisle-led drudgery.

Of course, since I'm rooting for a Lottery pick this year,
    it makes the losses easier to take.

Banned

The only thing I'm really interested in is watching our future grow. Danny, Shawne, and to a lesser extent Ike. I'm also enjoying Dunleavy's season, it's good to see him playing this way after all of the crap he's faced in his career. Other than that, I'm with Rajah, June can't get here soon enough.

I don't understand how anyone cannot enjoy watching Jeff Foster. I find watching him thrilling and inspiring

I don't understand how anyone cannot enjoy watching Jeff Foster. I find watching him thrilling and inspiring
    That explains the restraining order...

- Jimmy Buffett

I should also say that I've enjoyed the games more this year, at least when they are playing "the right way".

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Were you at the game, when that kid ran out onto the court, that was actually me, and I wanted to give Foster a big high five or a hug, and I was almost ready to do so, but then he tripped me.

so I just wonder why it is different now from those years when the team either wasn't good at all or average.
    It's the lack of movement over several years in a positive direction. Several things were allowed to fester until they exploded. JO and JT are no longer seen as the next wave for the franchise. There's very little hope for the future that fans can latch onto right now.

Allowing players like James Jones to get away yet keeping anti-team players on the roster year after year.

Keeping coaches past their expiration date... and keeping the same basic team intact around them.

Having the bar raised with a successful run in the 90's. Also, having the Colts show that a 'small market team' CAN win AND be media players on the natl stage. Also showing a different style of ownership/management.

Pondwater slow management might be fine for times of prosperity but it is a death sentence for down times like these.

That's what is different.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

You are missing some pretty exciting games.
    The only exiciting game that I have witnessed as of late was the Suns/Pacers game which was through NBA.com Audio Pass and Yahoo GameCast ( since I am an Out-Of-State Pacer fan that does not have NBALP ).

But I also turned off 2 recent games that we were doing poorly in during the 3rd QTR. Why? because the Pacers are a team that I have very little confidence in that was incapable of pulling themselves out of whatever hole that they dug themselves into. Every game before that I listened to ( except for the games at the beginning of the season ) just seemed like a rehash of what we saw from the Pacers last year.

One thing, I've noticed is when you don't watch a game, and the Pacers lose - you figure everything that happended within the game was bad. Same thing when they win, but you didn't watch it - you figure everything was good within the game. But when you watch the game you see things differently, you see the good and bad whether the Pacers win or lose.
    I doubt that my opinion would change if I got to watch more then the 2 games that I get to witness on TV this season. TPTB may have changed the proverbial "packaging on the product" on the outside ( by changing to an up-tempo offense ) but they still decided to keep the "same old ingredients" on the inside ( where we see that some players fit and some don't ).

What's the end result? An offense that may seem flashier then last years that may appeal ( in some way ) to the common fan.....but is still the same old mediocre "barely .500" team that we were last year.

Sure, we maybe scoring more points but we're still losing games in the end .
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-11-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Were you at the game, when that kid ran out onto the court, that was actually me, and I wanted to give Foster a big high five or a hug, and I was almost ready to do so, but then he tripped me.

brichard, jose,

Uhm....thanks for testing the water for me. Although I've gone to a couple of games, (BTW, did the all inclusive beers and grub thing at Legends. Suh-weet!!) I feel the same as you guys. I'll watch the TNT lineup on Thursday from begging to end, but you almost have to pay me to stick through a whole Pacer's game. bball pretty much summed up how I feel...

It's the lack of movement over several years in a positive direction. Several things were allowed to fester until they exploded. JO and JT are no longer seen as the next wave for the franchise. There's very little hope for the future that fans can latch onto right now.

Allowing players like James Jones to get away yet keeping anti-team players on the roster year after year.

Keeping coaches past their expiration date... and keeping the same basic team intact around them.
    We have this horrible habit, as a franchise, of not letting people go at the optimum time. We knew when the iron was hot to move JO...but we didn't. Same with Artest. There are some other players that management knew were on downward spirals, but did/do nothing about them.

Back in the 80s and 70's, roster moves and coaching styles were debatable, but you felt the effort was there. It seemed there was a better focus on knowing where you wanted to go. I've always maintained, and will to my dying day that Larry Brown was the best thing to happen to this franchise in forever. Once his guidance was gone, the slow spiral of bad decisions began. (And don't try to tell me that Bird did anything other than ride the tail end of Brown's work.)

We've managed to foster a certain culture with this team and I don't have the stomach for it. I still root for the Pacers, but I just can't get excited about them.

The fact that longtimers like Jose and brichard feel the same prompted me to post, also. I just didn't realize some of the old squad felt the same way. As you've probably noticed I hardly EVER post on the main forum. I may have a post or two in the Shout Box or Entertainment, but that's about it.

I've always had a problems with a JO/Tinsley run team and I still do.

Now, I just don't really care.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 01-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Having the bar raised with a successful run in the 90's. Also, having the Colts show that a 'small market team' CAN win AND be media players on the natl stage. Also showing a different style of ownership/management.

Pondwater slow management might be fine for times of prosperity but it is a death sentence for down times like these.

That's what is different.
    I think it is unfair to suggest James Jones was let go, and instead players like JT, Jax, JO or Artest were kept. You simply cannot equate a second round draft pick at the end of his contract vs a veteran who is on a long term deal - you just cannot get rid of the veterans as easily. And really it came down to JJ or Fred Jones. And in the end it doesn't matter - neither make much of an impact either way.

Banned

And really it came down to JJ or Fred Jones. And in the end it doesn't matter - neither make much of an impact either way.
    Are you REALLY saying that James Jones is not much of an impact player right now? Have you not been paying attention for the past couple months? That's just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The only exiciting game that I have witnessed as of late was the Suns/Pacers game which was through NBA.com Audio Pass and Yahoo GameCast ( since I am an Out-Of-State Pacer fan that does not have NBALP ).

But I also turned off 2 recent games that we were doing poorly in during the 3rd QTR. Why? because the Pacers are a team that I have very little confidence in that was incapable of pulling themselves out of whatever hole that they dug themselves into. Every game before that I listened to ( except for the games at the beginning of the season ) just seemed like a rehash of what we saw from the Pacers last year.

I doubt that my opinion would change if I got to watch more then the 2 games that I get to witness on TV this season. TPTB may have changed the proverbial "packaging on the product" on the outside ( by changing to an up-tempo offense ) but they still decided to keep the "same old ingredients" on the inside ( where we see that some players fit and some don't ).

What's the end result? An offense that may seem flashier then last years that may appeal ( in some way ) to the common fan.....but is still the same old mediocre "barely .500" team that we were last year.

Sure, we maybe scoring more points but we're still losing games in the end .

This years team has little resemblance to last years - that just isn't true. Did you turn the
    Orlando game off when the pacers were dowm 17 in the 3rd quarter, did you turn the heat game off when the pacers were down 7 with about 2 minutes to go. Did you turn off the Clippers game when the pacers trailed in the 4th quarter. The point is that the pacers have had some decent comebacks this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    Are you REALLY saying that James Jones is not much of an impact player right now? Have you not been paying attention for the past couple months? That's just nuts.
    haven't we discussed this. Yes JJ since he has left the pacers franchise is not a difference maker. If he continues what he is doing this season for the rest of this season and next season, then I'll change my opinion.

OK, to those of you who have decided not to pay much attention to the pacers. A common theme seems to be JO and Tinsley, if and when they are traded, will you come back to the team, even if they aren't (at least initially) as good s they are right now