Thread: Battery - electrical question

Default Battery - electrical question

I have no idea what the title of this thread should be.

But I have a very specific question, maybe someone can help me out. I am looking to provide power to an electrical appliance where there isn't an electrical outlet anywhere near. I don't want to run a long cord to an outlet either. So I am wonderng if there is a such thing as some type of battery adaptor, that I can buy where I can plug my appliance into it and it will use the battery for power. Is there such a thing. And if not, why isn't there.

Anyone have any ideas. Seems like this should be a common problem.

Default Re: Battery - electrical question

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what the title of this thread should be.

But I have a very specific question, maybe someone can help me out. I am looking to provide power to an electrical appliance where there isn't an electrical outlet anywhere near. I don't want to run a long cord to an outlet either. So I am wonderng if there is a such thing as some type of battery adaptor, that I can buy where I can plug my appliance into it and it will use the battery for power. Is there such a thing. And if not, why isn't there.

Anyone have any ideas. Seems like this should be a common problem.
    I know a professional photographer who uses a portable power pack that has standard plugs for his lighting...It is about the size of a loaf of bread and is heavy. Not sure if it is just for spot use, like firing flash lighting every once in a while, or would/could be for constant power use. I have no idea what the capacity or amount of time it could provide continuous power, and I'm sure it would depend on how much juice was being required.

Portable, plug-in power is out there, but I bet it is expensive for the application you suggest.

Here is a link to a device that would suffice, but not sure how long the charge would last....

http://www.4lots.com/index.asp?PageA...odID=1008&HS=1
    Last edited by heywoode; 01-10-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added link

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

So how are you going to charge the battery?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    So how are you going to charge the battery?

No, I have power to the area, but the nearest outlet is either in the next room or clear across the room - and I just didn't want to have a cord across the room or the walking area

The one from Target should work.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-11-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would check the specs on the Target one before using it. Most of the info I found stated that it was for recharging batteries more than extended use. It may not hadle the higher flow needed for your appliance.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I would check the specs on the Target one before using it. Most of the info I found stated that it was for recharging batteries more than extended use. It may not hadle the higher flow needed for your appliance.
    Concur w/ Ken...mostly you see AC to DC converters...you want DC to AC (often called inverters, and less common), and the best source for those is probably an RV dealer. You hook a car battery to 'em. Umm, at least you could put a box over it and call it an end table? They're used for the on-board RV appliances.

You didn't specify a wattage (important), but here's an example:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-inverter.htm

If your appliance is a lamp with a 25-watt bulb, maybe the Target product will work. But if the appliance has moving parts, a heating element, a compressor for cooling, or just pulls a lot of juice (TV, stereo, PC) then you'd want to look at the RV products, I'd think.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-11-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

I think your best and cheapest option is a 150 foot orange extention cord and some nice wire covering. Run it from a plug along the baseboard around the room. The covering sticks to the wall and clamps shut.

He should probably rip the drywall out and run electrical throughout the room putting an outlet every 2 ft. That would be the ideal situation. Then you would NEVER have a problem with the outlet being in the wrong place.

Or you could pickup the appliance and move it to the side of the room with the plug?

J/King of course. I have no idea Buck. What kind of appliance is it? Thatmight be helpful to know so we know how much Juice its gonna pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    He should probably rip the drywall out and run electrical throughout the room putting an outlet every 2 ft. That would be the ideal situation. Then you would NEVER have a problem with the outlet being in the wrong place.

Or you could pickup the appliance and move it to the side of the room with the plug?

J/King of course. I have no idea Buck. What kind of appliance is it? That might be helpful to know so we know how much Juice its gonna pull.
    I appreciate all of your responses, I really figured the thread would die a quick and painless death.

Sorry I didn't mention what the item was earlier, I thought I had. It is just a lighted pedestal, that probably would have maybe a 60 or 75 watt light bulb in it and it would even be on very much. I need to put it in my bathroom - or I want to, but the nearest outlet is on the other side of the bathroom near the sink or out of the bathrrom and down the hall into the living room. Neither really are an option. So I just wanted an inexpensive battery I could plug into. I'm surprised there isn't a really simple and inexpensive soultion to this. it has to be a common problem.

Hmm, I have no idea, maybe one of our resident electricians can answer this one....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've seen new plugins ran before and they don't seem to be too difficult. You might be able to find a handy man or maybe you could do it yourself after reading up. But it does all depend on the construction of your home/room.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I appreciate all of your responses, I really figured the thread would die a quick and painless death.

Sorry I didn't mention what the item was earlier, I thought I had. It is just a lighted pedestal, that probably would have maybe a 60 or 75 watt light bulb in it and it would even be on very much. I need to put it in my bathroom - or I want to, but the nearest outlet is on the other side of the bathroom near the sink or out of the bathrrom and down the hall into the living room. Neither really are an option. So I just wanted an inexpensive battery I could plug into. I'm surprised there isn't a really simple and inexpensive soultion to this. it has to be a common problem.
    Unfortunately, the answer is either an extension cord (AC Cable) or it's wiring a new circuit into the wall near where you need power.

AFAIK, there's no practical way to do what you want utilizing any type of battery.

Adding outlets is not that hard, whether it's putting a hole in the drywall and stealing power from an existing circuit, or utilizing "Wiremold" surface mount 'conduit'. That said, being in a bathroom (near water) can require a GFI receptacle.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    That said, being in a bathroom (near water) can require a GFI receptacle.

-Bball
    What? Do a home improvement project on your own and make it up to code!?