Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a trade

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default We need a trade

I have come to the conclusion that Obie and co. are getting the best they can out of the team as currently constructed. We're just an average team. That's all we're going to be until some roster changes are made.

Default Re: We need a trade

In other news... the sky is blue.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yes, but has the team quit?

Anyway, we seem to make trades that make us worse, so why bother? The only chance we have to improve in a trade right now is to trade big for small because we have a lot of front court players.

1 answer. Stephen Graham. We need to play him, he is our most athletic player, and he ain't a punk that would just shoot jumpshots. He'd take it to the Rack and get to the foul line
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our hands are tied, we aren't going to make a trade that actually benefits this team without giving up too much.

We need a scoring 2 guard that can slash/create his own shot/draw fouls.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

It's going to have to be through the draft. Lateral trades are not the answer.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think this team is really in a tight spot when it comes to making a trade.

You can't trade Jamaal. He has done pretty well for us and you won't get a better point guard than him IMO.

As far as getting any bigs I don't see that happening. Sure, i'd like to trade Jermaine in a way because i'll admit i'm really worried that it won't be long before he has some type of injury. I also am worried that we need to cut salary to keep some guys like Danny, Shawne, and Ike.

Danny has been inconsistant. But he is cheap, talented, and still will get better so we won't deal him.

I think that Mike is playing at a spot that we could use a better scorer, a better defender but the problem is who are we going to get that is better than Mike? Can you really justify trading Mike?

I think the best thing to do is let this team play it out and see what they do. Then in the off season maybe you make a change or two but right now I think it's best to be wait and see what happens.

OMG, the SKY is falling!!

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our hands are tied, we aren't going to make a trade that actually benefits this team without giving up too much.

We need a scoring 2 guard that can slash/create his own shot/draw fouls.

So what you're saying is we need to get our hands on Eric Gordon...I'm glad we are in agreement here.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need to do something soon, we needed a bigger trade over the summer but didnt get one.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I wish we could make a trade for youth or another all star. But I know we lack the pieces to get a deal done. I would almost rather have us blow it up, yes blow it up than watch this current team win a game and then lose a game, all season long. I will still watch, cause I am a fan. But I only pray something happens.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Um, did I miss something? We lost to an Atlanta team that is hot right now and has a better record than us and we now need a trade?

Honestly, coming into this season what did you expect? This is now and has always been a transitional year. It's not even a rebuilding year.

What kind of trade do we need to make? I know many people want to thin out our front court but let's look at that for a min. Ike has been out all year, Jeff is having constant back spasms, Jermaine is always banged up, Troy missed several games due to injury and David is always always always injured in some fashion.

Going to the wings you have Daniels who can play about 5 games and then has to sit out a couple.

Danny & Mike have both been healthy.

Now if you are wanting to make a trade for long term, great, but I don't know how you go about doing that with the assets we have.

Only O'Neal would bring in anything of substance and even then you have to wonder how much you could even get for him.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Yes, but has the team quit?
    Y'know, I stand behind saying that when I did, especially since it was confirmed that that team did indeed quit at times.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    OMG, the SKY is falling!!
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

After Craig Sager's sideline report on TNT, no doubt someone will say "Hey, Damon Jones is available. Who can we trade to get Damon?"

Go ahead. You know you want to.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

A trade might help, but don't expect much out of this group. Just enjoy the team for what it can do.

The team is now decidedly average..maybe slightly above average..but that's it... and will be that way until we get an injection of talent via the draft or a few excellent moves. Perhaps in a few years when we get out of the contract situation we can sign a free agent. Just sit on it for a couple years and hope the right moves are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Honestly, coming into this season what did you expect? This is now and has always been a transitional year. It's not even a rebuilding year.
    Exactly! Good post Peck. This team has some talent, and will beat some teams it probably shouldn't and lose to teams it shouldn't. Finishing a few games over 500 and a brief playoff experience is about the best we should expect in all fairness.
    In other thoughts rebuilding is exactly what the team needed to do, but I understand the factors that have lead the team to this point.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmoney2584 View Post
    So what you're saying is we need to get our hands on Eric Gordon...I'm glad we are in agreement here.
    I'm rather not go winless the rest of the year, though.....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

no trades needed!
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Banned

J.O. to Chicago

Ben Wallace to the Lakers

Tyrus Thomas, Jordan Farmar, and Kwame Brown to the Pacers

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    J.O. to Chicago

I don't think that it would work financially.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Damon Jones would be a great fit into this team.

Wouldn't Need Diener if we can pick up Jones.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    J.O. to Chicago

I would try for a better deal from the Pacer pov, but we may not find a better deal for a rebuild. The Pacers lose talent, but I think the much younger Thomas and Farmar would do well in this system...and it clearly helps the salary situation. With the upcoming resignings and obvious need for a rebuild, I would consider it.

Lakers will do it obviously. Chicago probably too.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

any trade we do will probably make us worse in the short term, like last season's golden state trade.

simply, we don't have the short contracts that rebuilding teams are looking for. we do have young players that other teams may like, but they're not good enough to offset the bad contracts they'll have to be paired with.

actually, some people will argue that the golden state trade made us worse in the long term too, since it reduced our nearly non-existent financial flexibility to zero.

we're getting close to the point where we need a trade, not to improve the team, but to improve the bottomline. otherwise better expect more brad miller situations, where tptb just hold up their hands helplessly and say "how could we have expected david or danny or ike or shawne to have gotten such a big offer?"

truth is, in the luxury tax era, salary management is nearly as important a gm skill as talent evaluation. joe dumars is a master at this. like other gms, he's signed his share of duds, but somehow he has always found a way to move them (see nazr trade to charlotte)

Mood

I have to say we don't need a trade right now, just some patience. Remember we are less than half a season into a new system with new role players. The best thing we have right now is chemistery starting to develop. We have guys playing well and we are playing better than all "experts" expected. The tide is starting to turn and a good sign that the fans are coming back by recent ticket sales. In the new era of the NBA trades do one of 2 things, make you better talent wise or make you better financial wise. To be above 500 with the type of schedule we have played and all of the change that took place is very encouraging to me.