Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitter thoughts after the loss to the Suns

Default Re: Bitter thoughts after the loss to the Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll say this, while they were kid gloves too, Denari and Clark were "noticing" this issue during the game. It felt like if they were just hanging out with you that they would have been going off, but for the Pacers they played it soft.

Buck, he wasn't hitting them. One score was a Troy tip-in. And on all of those plays he didn't even look for a teammate, he clearly went full-on Mel Mel. Peck is right on ripping this, it was very forced offense, no natural flow to it at all, no real touches for teammates. Even his "well the clock was running out" long 3 was with 3 seconds left. He didn't even look to step in closer or anything. It wasn't a Jack moment of early in the clock, but considering where the shot was from it wasn't as smart as "clock running out" implies.

You are right that earlier he'd gone to the post effectively for some assists. But then it went to his head like it always seems to...or worse yet JOB told him to do this.

I'm of the opinion that JOB ripped on Tins for this back in the locker room.
    If you are right here, and I have no way of knowing one way or the other, then I hope that as soone as Tinsley left from being ripped that Larry Bird was right in Jim O'Briens face ripping on him.

If he has no more control of the team than that then really where are we from last season?

Ok gang, it's been several hours now since I've watched the game and written this statement and if anything I am more bitter and mad now than I was then.

But I will try and add something positive to this.

I was very happy last night with Jeff Foster and Troy Murphy. I thought Troy played some of his best defense of the season last night and I thought Jeff was actually part of the offense other than just tipping the ball.

Ironically Troy couldn't shoot and Jeff was in foul trouble so they both weren't as affective as they normally are at their strengths.

Both were hitting the boards hard.

One more thing for Troy, he is gettting better and better every game at setting picks. Last night on a play in the 4th quarter he set a pick that actually took out two players from Phoenix.

Just another reason why I am still so p!ssed at O'Brien. He blew a great overall team effort by that one on one crap at the end of the game.

Diener had, by far, his best game of the regular season last night.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I have a feeling I am being blessed by not being able to see the games this season.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Troy still f-ed up the double team a couple of times, leading to easy lay-ups or offensive rebounds for the Suns.

There are some good posts in this thread. I especially liked Buck's 1st post. Those of you with pitchforks and torches in hand need to step back and go thru the other door labeled reality. The game plan in the overtime was obvious. The other four players on the floor cleared out and remained stationary. It's not like Jamaal just took it upon himself to do this and the rest of the team just happened to clear out for the final 5 minutes. The idea was for JT to take Marion every time. It didn't work. Jamaal should've hit a couple more of those shots but I have a feeling he was dead tired. JOB is gonna have Jamaal on the floor in those situations but this is where lack of depth hurts this team. They didn't have anyone to turn to earlier in the game after Diener went down. How anyone can expect a player to play the final 19 minutes in his second game back from injury and be the go to guy is beyond me.

This was one of the more exciting games this season even though it ended in a loss. It was fun to watch for the most part. I enjoyed the players JOB put on the floor and the pace of the game. I liked seeing Rush & Foster starting. Dunleavy had some great defensive plays down the stretch in regulation. Shawne Williams and Travis Diener broke out finally ( although I'm not sure if they were breaking out of slumps or JOB's doghouse). Turnovers were kept in check. Foster had some huge hustle plays and Troy did grab 15 boards. Granger played quietly but filled the stat sheet.

With all of that said, Jermaine O'Neal, Marquis Daniels & Ike Diogu are the three players that the Pacers should be focusing on when the phone rings in Larry's office.

Losing sucks. Go Pacers!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Those of you with pitchforks and torches in hand need to step back and go thru the other door labeled reality.
    God, I love that. That could be used in response to SO many things in this world.

I know many people are just venting but patience is in order. I like Obrien and think with
    time and maybe a little luck in the draft could turn this franchise around.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    That's not how it happened at all.

REGGIE was the one talking up JO being "the man" since the end of the 2001 playoff series with Philadelphia. Reggie retired four years later in 2005 for a combination of wanting to leave while he could still compete as a starter and IMO because that year the Brawl et al along with that roster in general wore him out. Now that last part is speculation by me, but the first part is not.

Right on man , thanks for correcting me... I had heard it was bird that said that.... but i think it still had an effect on the team as a unit..

but i still stick with what i said about it being a HUGE mistake to stroke Tinsley's ego .. and tell him he's the QB ..

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

One more thing for Troy, he is gettting better and better every game at setting picks.
    Thats setting the bar pretty low, no?

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Thats setting the bar pretty low, no?
    Don't worry none. He'll find some way to limbo it.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I know many people are just venting but patience is in order. I like Obrien and think with
    time and maybe a little luck in the draft could turn this franchise around.
    time and little luck.....

Sometimes the only way to learn something is to let someone f' it up themselves. There are days where you have to let people screw it up and take some lumps for it in hopes that they start to "get it". Maybe this was one of those days. I don't know, just sayin...

Mood

I don't see all of the doom and gloom over this game myself. The Pacers hung with a top tier team and took them to overtime.

Having a 15 point lead on Phoenix is like having the Colts at 3rd and 10. For other teams it is a hard task to come back, but for a team with that kind of offense it is not that big of a deal. I thought they fought hard and in the end we showed our youth/inexperience and that some guys were gassed from playing the back to back.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Peck, I'll agree that while Troy is a problem due to the contract vs output situation, he is busting it. He needs Jeff money, and then those 2 could be your tandem PF/C. He's struggling on defense, but really he's like Jeff in that he has some things he does well and then some real holes to his game.

I've defended JO a ton, and I'm not bailing on him now. I like the guy and I still like his defense, but unless he's been hiding an injury that's really bad but somehow still fixable it looks like his prime is truly over. He needs to go like Webber finally had to move on in his career. Not because I don't want him here, but because this team just can't afford him now.

In the "who do you get rid of" thread I sincerely answered all but Dun and Quis, though I'd keep Jeff if possible. I like a lot of the guys, I love what I see out of Shawne and still think Danny is just a slow progression but high top end player, but this team has problems that will require losing good players to solve.

Diener had, by far, his best game of the regular season last night.
    Did you notice that he stepped inside the arc for his jumpers? I think that made a big difference. So far this year he looked like he was really struggling to get the ball to the rim, putting a ton of body motion into his shots rather than looking smooth. I know he's knocked the 3 down previously at a great rate, but that was in limited time and regardless for whatever reason he'd been struggling this year.

He's still probably worse than Quis as a passing PG though.

Exclamation Re: Bitter thoughts after the loss to the Suns

Is there any doubt that we play more uptempo and better as a team without J.O.?

Wow

This is by far the angriest / frustrated I have seen the board.

For some unknown reason the tivo shut off with 1.1 in regulation.
    I left thinking that they had an exceptional game by recent standards, albeit a little confused about the drought that moved in towards the end. I definitely wondered where Owens and Shawn were at one point, but did not expect the debacle that apparently took place.

May be I have become jaded, but there were bright spots. Perhaps it was painful enough to inspire change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

The only thing missing was for there to be the guy with the mic running up and down the court with Jamaal yelling "Mel Mel in da house" or we might as well have been at Rucker park. However who needs the carnival barker when you have a head coach over on the sidelines playing pick up stix with his butt cheeks instead of coaching the game.

Classic. I agree with the above 100%. That is signature material. LMAO.

I'll add this...

At the end of regulation nobody on the team was playing well... from what I can remember at least. How many wide open jumpers got missed, Tins missed shots but nobody else was doing anything but standing around the 3pt line. Even at that they were getting good looks but failed to deliver... I'll say it again but this team just doesn't have anybody that can carry this team, hit the big shots, make the winning play, wants the ball when the games on the line, refuses to lose.... dare I say it.... dare I utter his name....

well, I for one worshipped him as a basketball GOD, now I hate him with such passion as I didn't know existed.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Classic. I agree with the above 100%. That is signature material. LMAO.

LMFAO !! way ahead of ya bro
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    The last couple of times JT has totally dominated the FGA stats (vs MIA, 1st half, 2nd game; vs ATL, 2nd game) he followed with games of 3 FGAs and 8 FGAs. Maybe an attempt to take the lesson to heart?
    I think it has more to do with JT pouting than taking the lesson to heart. He wouldn't continue doing the same crap decision making if he learned his lesson those other times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    There are some good posts in this thread. I especially liked Buck's 1st post. Those of you with pitchforks and torches in hand need to step back and go thru the other door labeled reality. The game plan in the overtime was obvious. The other four players on the floor cleared out and remained stationary. It's not like Jamaal just took it upon himself to do this and the rest of the team just happened to clear out for the final 5 minutes. The idea was for JT to take Marion every time. It didn't work. Jamaal should've hit a couple more of those shots but I have a feeling he was dead tired. JOB is gonna have Jamaal on the floor in those situations but this is where lack of depth hurts this team. They didn't have anyone to turn to earlier in the game after Diener went down. How anyone can expect a player to play the final 19 minutes in his second game back from injury and be the go to guy is beyond me.

This was one of the more exciting games this season even though it ended in a loss. It was fun to watch for the most part. I enjoyed the players JOB put on the floor and the pace of the game. I liked seeing Rush & Foster starting. Dunleavy had some great defensive plays down the stretch in regulation. Shawne Williams and Travis Diener broke out finally ( although I'm not sure if they were breaking out of slumps or JOB's doghouse). Turnovers were kept in check. Foster had some huge hustle plays and Troy did grab 15 boards. Granger played quietly but filled the stat sheet.

With all of that said, Jermaine O'Neal, Marquis Daniels & Ike Diogu are the three players that the Pacers should be focusing on when the phone rings in Larry's office.

Losing sucks. Go Pacers!
    Dude, he never even looked to pass. You seriously think that was JOB's game plan?

I think it's you who needs to walk through that door.