Thread: Letter to Pacers' coaching staff (Jim O'Brien)

Default Letter to Pacers' coaching staff (Jim O'Brien)

Somebody...ANYBODY...Please get this message to coach Jim O'Brien or anyone on the Pacers' coaching staff IMMEDIATELY!!!

URGENT NOTICE!!!!

Why in the world would you allow this team to continue to take jump shots with the score so close, their opponent in foul trouble and the game clock at or near 3-minutes? I just don't understand how the coaching staff could allow the players to continue to self-implode in such a way. Respectfully request you implement the following 3-Minute Rule in end-game situations:

"If the game clock is at or near 3-minutes and you're within 10 points (+/-), DO NOT SETTLE FOR JUMP SHOTS! EVERY POSSESSION from this point on should be a drive to the basket!!!"

The only exception should be if the shot clock is running down and you are forced to take a shot.

In the closing minutes of the fourth quarter in tonight's game against the Phoenix Suns (1/9/08), the Pacers settled for jump shot after jump shot after jump shot and missed them all!!! The Suns were one foul away from being in the penalty, and yet the Pacers did NOT capitalize on this one advantage!!! I'm so tired of watching this team blow games they should have won because they failed to play smarter, not harder! You put unnecessary pressure on yourselves because you played right into the hands of your opponent and in doing so gave them the advantage. The Suns did exactly what the Pacers should have done - ATTACK THE BASKET knowing the Pacers were in deep foul trouble.

Now, while Jamaal Tinsley did attempt to post-up against the Suns in overtime, it was too much! He took it upon himself and took each and every shot in overtime. Why didn't he get his teammates involved? Shawne Williams, Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy were performing well. As much as Jamaal was a benefit to the team for most of regulation play, he was a complete liability in overtime because he tried much too hard to put the team on his shoulders and be the hero. Hindsight is 20/20, but the smartest thing he could have done was get back to what got the team the lead and got his teammates involved - ATTACK THE BASKET and move the baseket ball around. Too much isolation play along with too many jump shots at the end of regulation play cost you the game.

I'm so disappointed with this team tonight, moreso than I've been all season because this game was yours and you blew it because you played harder, not smarter!!!

Not so Sincerely,

"A very angry Pacers fan!!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Letter to Pacers' coaching staff (Jim O'Brien)

Not to nitpick you, because you are clearly very upset.. but when you end with "Not so sincerely," it would mean you WEREN'T being sincere... meaning you didn't mean anything you just wrote... yeah....

8 double-digits leads lost. We will miss them all very dearly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    24-13 >>>>>>>> 16-21

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    Not to nitpick you, because you are clearly very upset.. but when you end with "Not so sincerely," it would mean you WEREN'T being sincere... meaning you didn't mean anything you just wrote... yeah....
    Ok, "Not Sincerely" Yours...

Somehow, I think the point I was trying make will speak volumes for itself, formality/format/ediquette notewithstanding.

And yes, I'm so very f.....g p....ed off at this team right now. It's the same MO whether they're winning or losing. I'd venture to guess they've lost several games that they could have won or closed the gap and perhaps won had they implemented the 3-Minute Rule and just played smarter. They gave this game away and there's just absolutely NO excuse for it...NONE...ZERO!

woman without a team

Correct me if I'm wrong but when JOB was hired didn't he say that his philosophy is shoot first and only drive to the basket if there isn't a jump shot to be had? Obviously JOB thinks this is the way to go. Dip **** Larry Bird hired him so Larry must believe in it too.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when JOB was hired didn't he say that his philosophy is shoot first and only drive to the basket if there isn't a jump shot to be had?
    I don't think that's accurate, Grace. It was 'over the timeline in 3 secs and shoot within the first 6 secs' as I recall...meaning strike before the defense is set up. And yes, he said he likes the 3, but I don't remember him saying 'jump shot first, drive if jump shot not available.'

If someone pulls out a quote and proves me wrong, well, there you go.

Anyway, the coaching decision (however he wants to put it) down the stretch in the PHX game was ludicrous, for sure.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

good post .. o.p.

I keep tellin people about Tinsley.. but will they listen? nooooooo .. I hope this game proves my point on JT being a cancer to this ballclub..

Ya also see that Diener got hurt..?? geee I wonder who has a big partial fault in THAT ....?!?!? No Playing Time .. and when you play him he gets hurt... what's that say about the coaching staff??

you cant just NOT play a guy.. then when you DO decide to play him and expect him to win the game... or that there's not gonna be an increased chance of injury. to the player that is not as conditioned in actual games this year as he SHOULD be... under normal circumstances..

As far as the game .. yup JT lost us another one to PISSPOOR decision making..

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Ya also see that Diener got hurt..?? geee I wonder who has a big partial fault in THAT ....?!?!? No Playing Time .. and when you play him he gets hurt... what's that say about the coaching staff??

you cant just NOT play a guy.. then when you DO decide to play him and expect him to win the game... or that there's not gonna be an increased chance of injury. to the player that is not as conditioned in actual games this year as he SHOULD be... under normal circumstances..

This statement just simply isn't fair. Maybe if Diener had a strained muscle, or something. But he came down awkwardly and twisted his ankle. That had nothing to do with JOB not playing him. That can, and does, happen to players who play all the time. But I do think that Diener showed he should be playing more. I have my own JOB things that irk me, but the injury to Diener can't be put on him.

LOL. . .your sig is funny
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    This statement just simply isn't fair. Maybe if Diener had a strained muscle, or something. But he came down awkwardly and twisted his ankle. That had nothing to do with JOB not playing him. That can, and does, happen to players who play all the time. But I do think that Diener showed he should be playing more. I have my own JOB things that irk me, but the injury to Diener can't be put on him.

ok man .. maybe you are right bro.. I am just so disgusted.. that maybe im letting my anger talk.. and venting out....

Sorry bout that...
    But you cant deny that a player is more injury prone, when he doesnt go out there every game and have himself "game conditioned" .. mistakes can be made and things happen when a player is put into a situation to play alot more minutes all at once than they have been getting...
    I guess I have some resentment on a few players not getting any PT , yet players like JT .. in my opinion should be comin off the bench as a backup instead of starting..

I am really hoping that Diener and Rush got lucky , and that they'll be back soon...
    Last edited by Kemo; 01-10-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Sports Logo

Overall, I completely agree with you on the concept of "not taking too many 3pt shots when we have a lead or simply trying to keep pace with the other team".

However, there's a few things here to note in the Suns game ( in particular ) that I think that many people have ignored:

1 ) I really think that fatigue was a huge factor towards the end of the game. Maybe the Suns are better conditioned to run like this ( since they are used to it )....but I honestly think that everyone was close to "empty" at that point.

2 ) The Suns went with their best defensive lineup that they had ( Banks, Bell, Stoudamire, Marion and Barbosa ) to close out the game and used it VERY EFFECTIVELY to shutdown our ability to drive to the hoop and move around.

Fatigue
    +
    Suns solid interior/perimeter defense
    --------------------------
    = Pacers settling for 3pt shots

Although I do think that JO'Bs philosophyof taking 3pt shots has sunken in.....when a player is worn down and the perimeter defense has pretty much cut off any avenue to the paint...it's easier to settle for the 3pt shot then it is to continually move around and drive to the hoop.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Again, if fatigue was such a factor, the smart thing to do would have been to pull somebody and play Owens. We had Tinsley, Granger, Daniels, Murphy and Quis on the floor to end OT after both Williams and Foster had fouled out. The score, according to the play-by-play, was 122-125, Suns after Stoudemire made his free throws when Foster fouled out.

Had JOB called a time-out and replaced Tinsley w/Owens, maybe Owens would have been more effective and knocked down the shot on fresh legs instead of tired legs, ala, Tinsley.

Again, hindsight is 20/20.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

No we won't.

Draft Pick #1 >>>>>>>> Draft Pick #11