Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry Joe Legend interview

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Joe Legend interview

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting that he specifically mentioned PG, PF, and C as positions to improve. He didn't say we needed depth, he said we need the players.

There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He wants to replace Tinsley and O'Neal.
    Yes, those comments were directed at JO and Tins, particularly because we have a very serious hole at SG as well.

Hmmm, on second thought..maybe he thinks our SF's can play that position.

One of the two, folks.

I must say, the honesty we've heard from Larry Legend and JOB is pretty refreshing. Lets us all know they aren't living in fantasy land thinking this is a championship team.

Interesting that he specifically mentioned PG, PF, and C as positions to improve. He didn't say we needed depth, he said we need the players.

There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He wants to replace Tinsley and O'Neal.
    Or wants to get solid back-ups...which we don't have.

Mood

Talking up Ronnie Artest, is this the buffer for a return of Artest to Indiana?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Or wants to get solid back-ups...which we don't have.

I don't think so, based on him comments. He said we need A point guard who can distribute and shoot, and A center who can rebound and block shots. And those are the basic skills of the position. It's not like he said we need a PF who can pass well and hit the three.

If he was looking for a backup, he would say that we need another big man, or more centers, or some depth at the point guard position. But the context of his statements, to me, indicated that he was looking for his starters, not bench players.

This is all conjecture and interpretation on my part, he didn't literally say this.

I don't think so, based on him comments. He said we need A point guard who can distribute and shoot, and A center who can rebound and block shots. And those are the basic skills of the position. It's not like he said we need a PF who can pass well and hit the three.

If he was looking for a backup, he would say that we need another big man, or more centers, or some depth at the point guard position. But the context of his statements, to me, indicated that he was looking for his starters, not bench players.

This is all conjecture and interpretation on my part, he didn't literally say this.
    OK. I couldn't get the link to work so I'm on board with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Talking up Ronnie Artest, is this the buffer for a return of Artest to Indiana?
    Im ok with that.....

I still miss Ron-Ron's game

"We dont have a guy like Ronnie" -Larry Bird
    Last edited by edc; 01-11-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

He also said Artest was our best player, not JO.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    Im ok with that.....

I still miss Ron-Ron's game

"We dont have a guy like Ronnie" -Larry Bird
    You know, as crazy as it sounds, I hated to see Ron go. I think JOB is enough of a disciplinarian to handle Ronnie, and I think he would thrive in this system. The fanbase wouldn't go for it, but I'd love to see Ronnie in a Pacers uni again. When Jermaine issued the "him, or me" ultimatum, it sounds to me like Larry made the pr move above the basketball move, as evidenced by his comments in the interview.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He said the wing players are in abundance and are easier to find.
    Says the guy who personally scouted and apparently drafted another wing after they'd just drafted Danny.

I love Shawne's game, but I didn't make the above statement or draft this roster.

Sometimes Bird gives me this impression that he's cleaning up the mess that some other guy left. Even on Donnie's work I assume Larry has been involved. He was the Euro guy that scouted Saras and Baston (though in his defense those both look close to what he thinks are important pieces).

On JO's trade value being low right now: "There's no question about that."
    ie, "would someone please return my calls, I wasn't pranking you, I'm totally serious, why is that funny to you?"
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Haven't listened to the interview yet but just reading this it sounds like what Larry wants is

1. Rik Smits
    2. Dale Davis
    3. Mark Jackson
    Who doesn't.
    Not hard to figure why. Heck, with Foster here I'd take Smits and Jax. Actually I'd be fine even with just Jax.

But he's a half-court PG that creates open shots for players and finds them when they get there. I hope people would be willing to return to "slog ball" where Jax backs down the PG for 5 seconds before passing to Dun for the open 3.

Personally I'd love it, but I was never living in this dream world where you instantly have great offense just by shooting jumpers early in the shot clock. I loved the detailed offensive sets Rick designed for the 98-2K teams. They punished teams and anticipated their adjustments to your first set with a counter move for quarter 3 or 4. And Jax not only could make good on it, he lived for it.

If only JO could make the mid-jumper like Rik. That's what really hurts. Or having a total defensive force like Dale next to JO rather than the partial force that Jeff is (let's face it, he's not a shot blocker or an intimidator).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    That was a nice interview. Larry said the most important things for a team in his mind are:

1) A center who can score, hold his own, and block shots
    2) A power forward who can play the physical game who can guard people.
    3) A point guard who can distribute the ball and hit shots.

He said the wing players are in abundance and are easier to find.
    The irony of this statement blows my mind. Who have we drafted since Larry returned? James Jones, Danny Granger, Shawne Williams....etc.

I'm not saying these guys aren't great players, or that they weren't even the best available at the time we drafted them, but we had far bigger needs for two of those picks. We had Artest, Jones, AND Jackson when we drafted Granger.

I've always thought Bird's weakness was the same as a lot of GMs. When it comes to getting players, they get players that resemble themselves in a few ways. Bird was a small forward.

Look at Isiah with the Knicks. How many small, shoot first guards can they have? At one time, Marbury, Francis, Robinson, Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    The irony of this statement blows my mind. Who have we drafted since Larry returned? James Jones, Danny Granger, Shawne Williams....etc.

I'm not saying these guys aren't great players, or that they weren't even the best available at the time we drafted them, but we had far bigger needs for two of those picks. We had Artest, Jones, AND Jackson when we drafted Granger.

I've always thought Bird's weakness was the same as a lot of GMs. When it comes to getting players, they get players that resemble themselves in a few ways. Bird was a small forward.

Look at Isiah with the Knicks. How many small, shoot first guards can they have? At one time, Marbury, Francis, Robinson, Crawford.

Come on, we HAD to take Granger at #17. It was a no brainer.

Ya know I've heard all this before.

All it is is the same ole song & dance.

Larry, shut up & just do it!

JO is going to be difficult to trade this year making what he does. We would probably have to give up Williams or Granger with him in order to get Gasol/Stoudamire from Grizzlies. Stoudamire has basically been benched as Conley is the future there. Gasol would fit nicely here imho.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)