Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,680

    Default Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Let me see how does that go again? Never get to up after a win and never get to down after a loss.....

    Well what do you do when you haven't won in awhile and the losing has been, how to put this politely, decisive.

    People I watched every single solitary brutal moment of this game and all I can say is "I don't have a clue".

    Is it offense? Is it defense? Is the the system? Is it the players? Is it coaching?

    My answer to all of the above is yes. However right now I don't know of one true thing to do to change any of that.

    Also for those of you that are voting to blow it up, and believe me if you would have asked me that 9 min. into the third quarter I would have provided you the match, I want to ask you this.

    Blow it up and do what?

    Look I make no seceret to this I have wanted Jermaine O'Neal traded for years. However I am now seeing trades suggested on here that even I am cringing at.

    Cap room mean nothing & I mean nothing if you can't attract free agents to come here.

    Well here is the news on that, young big name free agents are not going to be lining up to play for a team that they consider has zero chance of winning in the very near future.

    Yes, you can use the money to pay some of your players down the road. But even then I have to wonder if we really should.

    Right now does anybody really want to invest big money in Ike? I know Shawn has a lot of fans but in truth as of now does he deserve a long term extension? I realize that both of them are far more deserveing the Jon Bender who got his deal with far less on floor production, but aren't we trying to avoid that again?

    By no means am I on here trying to say "stay the course" but I just want everybody who wants to ship J.O. off for two stiffs with expiring contracts to actually think this through. Now throw in a high unprotected draft pick and we can talk.

    Or if somebody wants to tell me that just getting rid of J.O. will benefit the team I am willing to hear them out. But to do it purely for money? No thanks.

    I don't pay to see dollar bills run up and down the floor and the Pacers have zero track record of being able to attract free agents.

    As I stated in the "we need a trade" thread that Shade put up, this season is a transitional season. Sadly, and believe me I hate this more than most of you, it probably for management is a season where they just want to make the playoffs.

    Look I would just prefer to not make the playoffs as opposed to get in the first round, lose in the first round and none of the young players play big roles.

    But I know that to the Pacers management this is the gold standard and frankly they have reason to beleive this for financial reasons. Remember they get to share in that playoff money if they get in.

    I guess where I really want to go with all of this is this. There is no "one sure way to win a title" in the NBA.

    If anything the one sure way you could argue is you have to have one of the 4 best players in the league. Only Detroit really hasn't had that over the past 20 some years.

    But even then it's not a sure fire thing.

    While Ainge is rightfully getting credit for his moves and it makes his past moves look good, never forget this one thing. If Kevin Garnett was not disgruntled with the Wolves and the Wolves weren't ready to be out of that contract Danny would still be sitting on the same team that is falling apart now up north. Oh he may have added Ray Allen but really would that have mattered?

    In other words loading up on draft picks is not a sure fire way to win either, if that were the case the Clippers, Bucks & Hawks would have won titles already.

    I think the thing that dissapoints me the most right now is that I think we are seeing regression on the offensive end. I feel like right now we are only ever in a game if we are hitting our jumpers and as anybody knows jump shots are not going to go in even half of the time.

    Now if this is coaching or players I am not sure. I don't feel like we are seeing the movement on offense or even the helping with picks and screens on offense like we saw earlier this year.

    Jamaal being out obviously hurt that, but I think I started to see that before he left.

    On defense I have no idea what we are doing? Look I understand the attempts at trying to draw charges but right now I think we are trying to do that a little to often instead of actually trying do defend the man.

    Troy Murphy is a soft defender, there is no arugment about that, however I can't say that any of our starting five are worth a d@mn really on the defensive end. Jermaine is what he always has been, Jamaal gambles more than Art Schlichter, Mike is just blah on defense and Danny is about average for his position.

    Foster off of the bench is above average, however unlike everybody else who fawns over him I still point out that his ineptness on the offensive end is no better than Troy's ineptness on the defensive end.

    Quis is avg., Kareem is better than I thought he would be but still just avg. at best, Owens for a person who is supposed to be the third string p.g. is actually acceptable, Ike doesn't even try, Harrison is well... hell I don't know. Sometimes he shows that there is the devine spark of life in his eyes and other times he proves that he is nothing more than one of the backup zombie dancers in Michael Jacksons thriller video. Williams I have no real clue on. Diener and Graham are non-factors.

    In other words we have a lousy defensive team. But even saying that I will still not contend that defense is our sole problem.

    You can NOT go min. after min. in this league without scoring a basket and right now we often have 4-5 min. a quarter where we don't get a field goal and don't get to the line.

    Some of it is stupid turnovers, no doubt. However some of it is purely bad shooting and some of it frankly is poor coaching.

    Look by no means am I turning on JOB, but right now I don't see any real offense at work here. Sometimes I see what looks like a set play or even crisp ball movement that leads to a good play. But those times are coming fewer and fewer each game.

    Sorry gang this really isn't one of my better posts but to be honest with you I am just flabbergasted by how we are losing.

    I guess I could take this a little more if we were playing Ike, Danny & Shawn a lot more because at least then I would feel like we were trying to see what we had.

    But I question in games like this why J.O., Troy and Jeff play so much.

    I'm sure we'll just beat the h@ll out of the Suns tonight.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    [quote=Peck]

    By no means am I on here trying to say "stay the course"

    Bird has said he won't make a move unless it improves us. He's also said he doesn't believe in tearing a team down and starting from scratch. So, unless we can find a trade that improves us, staying the course is just what we will do. It's also what we should expect. There were only three trades at the deadline last year.

    Myself, I don't want to make a trade unless we get a first rounder in it. As I said in another thread, unless it's a no brainer, a trade won't help us. What we need more than anything is a guy that can finish and defend the perimeter. We're not going to find that in a trade, only in the draft.


    I'm sure we'll just beat the h@ll out of the Suns tonight.

    I think it will be another double digit loss, but what's ironic about it is it wouldn't surprise me if we beat the Suns. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Suns doubled the score on us, something I thought possible last night when Utah has us down 50-22.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-09-2008 at 05:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,301
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    What purpose is there in keeping JO assuming we could find someone to take him? Is he a player that can take over and dominate a game? Does he put a team on his back and will them to victory? Or is he just another VERY expensive piece of a broken wheel? I asked some time last week if this team had growth potential to it...IOW if left alone would this team grow and mature as the Smits/Miller/Jackson/Davis team did? If not then why hang on to him...it is obvious the crowds aren't coming out to see him play like they would a LeBron. I know that none of this sounds fair but he is a very very expensive part and we're going nowhere with or without him So I ask again, what is the purpose of keeping him? Hang on to him for a couple more years so his massive contract comes off the books then? What good is that? We are so far over the cap that his departure would still not allow us space to go after a top tier player.
    Perhaps some will say that the pieces are in place and all we need is that one player that makes it all click. If so, then WTH do we do to get that player because in all likelihood 3/4 of the teams in the NBA would like to have the same guy and most have more to offer to obtain him.

    As to making the POs this year...attendence is down so far that the PO money will only slow the bleeding. PO money on top of decent attendence is a big plus, but this year it is putting a band-aid on an evisceration.

    Nope, IMO it is necessary to do whatever needed to bring the fans back to the gym and build for the future. I believe the fans are shouting that they do not like this team and will not support it (what was attendence like during the recent win streak???) and if mgmnt wants butts in the seats it will take more than just winning to get them back. Rightly or wrongly the Colts are winning but also have a poster boy that everybody loves. They sell out. The Pacers are not winning and like it or not, the populace hates this team...or many of the players.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blow it up and do what?
    Start over. Clear the 6+ years of crap the franchise has been through, erase all memories of the brawl and any past troubles with the law. Get rid of J.O. and Tinsley. Try and get rid of Murphy's contract. Hang on to Danny and Shawne. Then bring in the best talent you can acquire, and try to make sure they're not future criminals.

    The Pacers have drafted very well under Bird, that's the most important thing for a rebuilding team. Just one top-10 pick could easily land us our next franchise guy for the next decade, and he, along with Danny and hopefully Shawne, can have us back on our way to relevancy once again.

    Basically, follow Portland's lead. Of course it's easier said than done, but it's very doable if you have a plan in place and follow through with it.
    Last edited by Kofi; 01-09-2008 at 07:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    I thought this was the offense everyone wanted, ball movement, player movement, quick shots, a lot of threes - no set plays, and most of all the last thing we ever wanted again was a coach that called all the plays. Afterall wasn't the argument that because every team knew our offensive plays, we needed to go to a passing game/triangle type of offense, where players read and react to the defense.

    That is exactly what the Pacers are trying to run.


    Things are never as bad as they seem, and never as good as they appear. I'm not ready to give up on this years team, I think they are still getting used to the new system. (Peck, I wonder what you were saying in 1994 when the Pacers were 17-24 - don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting a huge turn around then - there were signs however but with this years team - I don't see those signs of a turn around. But I only bring up 1994 to suggest it does take time to turn things around under a new coach.

    Tonight in Phoenix will be very ugly, but then they have two days without games and I expect them to play very well in Sacramento.

    I do want to say one thing about Jeff Foster. With a player like him, you cannot just say that he is bad on offense, and then say Troy is just as bad on defense - so it is a wash. That is completely discounting the impact Jeff's effort, hustle, energy, enthusism, and leadership has on his teammates. You really cannot measure his true value - but I think it is rather obvious when he's on the floor the Pacers play with more energy - there is a certain spark.

  6. #6
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Doesn't Jeff's offensive rebounding count as offense? How many extra possessions has he gotten us? And most of his offensive rebounds aren't just rebounds of his own misses or to himself for a lay-up he'll miss.

  7. #7
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't Jeff's offensive rebounding count as offense? How many extra possessions has he gotten us? And most of his offensive rebounds aren't just rebounds of his own misses or to himself for a lay-up he'll miss.
    The rebounds of his missed shots are more than made up for by the number of tips he gets that allows his teammates to get the offensive rebound.

  8. #8
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,244

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was the offense everyone wanted, ball movement, player movement, quick shots, a lot of threes - no set plays, and most of all the last thing we ever wanted again was a coach that called all the plays. Afterall wasn't the argument that because every team knew our offensive plays, we needed to go to a passing game/triangle type of offense, where players read and react to the defense.

    That is exactly what the Pacers are trying to run.


    Things are never as bad as they seem, and never as good as they appear. I'm not ready to give up on this years team, I think they are still getting used to the new system. (Peck, I wonder what you were saying in 1994 when the Pacers were 17-24 - don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting a huge turn around then - there were signs however but with this years team - I don't see those signs of a turn around. But I only bring up 1994 to suggest it does take time to turn things around under a new coach.

    Tonight in Phoenix will be very ugly, but then they have two days without games and I expect them to play very well in Sacramento.

    I do want to say one thing about Jeff Foster. With a player like him, you cannot just say that he is bad on offense, and then say Troy is just as bad on defense - so it is a wash. That is completely discounting the impact Jeff's effort, hustle, energy, enthusism, and leadership has on his teammates. You really cannot measure his true value - but I think it is rather obvious when he's on the floor the Pacers play with more energy - there is a certain spark.
    I want a lot of ball and player movement... true. I'm not one for a lot of 3's though. I also only want quick shots when they are there... which isn't often. If you can beat the defense, great... but taking a quick shot when the rest of the team isn't setup at all isn't exactly my cup of tea.

    I don't like momentum killing, bad decision, quick shots.

    As I said in my other post, our offense is looking dull and indecisive. Where are the solid screens? Where are the sharp cuts? Where is the crisp ball movement? Where are the smart decisions?

    BUT... even if the offense was a well-oiled machine, the defense is lacking, lacking, lacking... We need to do something to pick it up. Are we THAT slow that we can't keep up with the other team's ball movement and the rotations? Are the wings just too ineffective? Do we lack that one bulldog on defense that inspires the others to bring up their level of play?

    Watching possession after possession of a Pacer frantically running to try and catch back up with the open man as he takes an uncontested shot is telling. Team defense is nice, but maybe it is overrated when you look at the individual needs. Usually, the Pacer player is so late closing out that he might as well stay under the basket and block out in hopes that the shot will miss and at least we'll have a shot at the board. At least that way he wouldn't foul the guy after the shot and put him on the line for the "and 1...".

    I realize we're trying to take away the inside, but either we're doing it to a fault or else we're a very lacking team on the defensive end (either athletically or mentally... or both).

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #9

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    taking a quick shot when the rest of the team isn't setup at all isn't exactly my cup of tea.

    The Pacers most efficient scoring this season is on quick shots. 82games.com shows the Pacers effective scoring per attempt is highest on the shots that come early in the clock.

    clock eFG%
    00-10 .529
    11-15 .451
    16-20 .490
    21-24 .402


    I also note than, even in the last 10 games, when the Pacers are 2-8, the Pacers outscore their opponent on fast breaks half the time.

    So, may I suggest that the Pacers KEEP the emphasis on running, and strive to do that better. It is one thing that doesn't need fixing. They ALSO need to get smarter about recognizing an opportunity for a quickie versus a wasted shot. That does need fixing, and it shows up in the big dip between 11 and 15 seconds. Those are the dumb jumpers that need to stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought . . . everyone wanted . . . ball movement, player movement, quick shots, a lot of threes - no set plays, and most of all the last thing we ever wanted again was a coach that called all the plays. Afterall wasn't the argument that because every team knew our offensive plays, we needed to go to a passing game/triangle type of offense, where players read and react to the defense.
    I don't know about everyone. It's what I wanted, and still do.




    http://www.82games.com/0708/0708IND3.HTM
    Last edited by Putnam; 01-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  10. #10
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want a lot of ball and player movement... true. I'm not one for a lot of 3's though. I also only want quick shots when they are there... which isn't often. If you can beat the defense, great... but taking a quick shot when the rest of the team isn't setup at all isn't exactly my cup of tea.

    I don't like momentum killing, bad decision, quick shots.



    BUT... even if the offense was a well-oiled machine, the defense is lacking, lacking, lacking... We need to do something to pick it up. Are we THAT slow that we can't keep up with the other team's ball movement and the rotations? Are the wings just too ineffective? Do we lack that one bulldog on defense that inspires the others to bring up their level of play?


    I realize we're trying to take away the inside, but either we're doing it to a fault or else we're a very lacking team on the defensive end (either athletically or mentally... or both).
    I agree with all of the above. The defensive scheme is set up to take away the inside but because the rotations are so poor, it doesn't work. They end up giving up a lot of wide open jumpers to teams that are willing rotate the ball or drive and kick the ball out to the perimeter.

    I also have noticed that the defense gambles a lot on the perimeter which leads to a breakdown of the "D", which often leads to fouls or another easy shot in the lane.

    I think coaching is to blame in a lot of these instances. The team is capable of pulling it off because they had a decent stretch of games when they defended well. However, I think since Foster started playing less minutes and was pulled from the starting lineup, the defense has gone down hill. That falls on the coaching staff, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  11. #11
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    I think we need to do our very best to ride these players into the playoffs for the money involved, the experience whomever's left after this summer will gain, and the fact that from a P.R. perspective I think it will help to have us in rather than out (especially having not made it last year). I also think as soon as mid-July hits you hit the market hard with blowing this team to hell. Take the short-term high of the playoffs to pump a little oxygen back in the franchise's lungs so it can live off of that air while we rebuild.

  12. #12
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was the offense everyone wanted, ball movement, player movement, quick shots, a lot of threes - no set plays, and most of all the last thing we ever wanted again was a coach that called all the plays. Afterall wasn't the argument that because every team knew our offensive plays, we needed to go to a passing game/triangle type of offense, where players read and react to the defense.

    That is exactly what the Pacers are trying to run.
    Come on, that's a cheap statement because you know very well that part of the problem is that there is NOT a lot of ball or player movement right now. No, running in a large circle around the outside of the paint, and passing it back and forth does not count. As for quick shots, personally I like them if it's an "in-rhythm" shot that's an honestly open look, especially off of a kick-out from the post or a driving player, but not when it's done just for the sake of shooting early (of which Tinsley and Murphy are quickly becoming masters).

    Secondly, and this is a general statement not related to quoting UB, but if we're going to have an offense that treats anyone with an outside shot like their Reggie Miller (in regards to how enthusiastically they are encouraged to shoot the ball), why not set as many screens as you would for Reggie Miller? I mean it's not like this is a roster filled with shooters that can create their own shots/looks. Give Mike 2 or 3 screens along the baseline. Kareem too. Danny and Shawne.

    I mean if what Jim said is true (and I have no reason to say he's making it up) that we hit over 50% of our open shots while making only like 18% of our contested shots, then why the hell wouldn't you set more screens for these guys? They can't create their own shots and they're usually slower than the guy on the other team. They NEED this as far as I can tell.

  13. #13
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Cap room mean nothing & I mean nothing if you can't attract free agents to come here.
    I don't want them to get cap room, I want them to get salary RELIEF.

    I don't buy into a big name signing, but I do think it would be nice if you could sign a KAPONO when you needed a 3pt ace rather than settling for Mark Price aka ball boy and Rush.

    This team is toast for 3-4 years unless this current group recovers somehow. If what we've seen lately is where it's headed then blowing it up is what must be done. Tins/JO for Wally, fine. Stuff like that is just to clear out the roster, not to solve anything.

    And isn't it ironic that I'm now saying "move JO" and Peck is saying "don't move him"? Try that 2 months ago.


    Mal, some of what you say is true, but even back when things were "good" I noted on several nights that really the good offense was just a hot shooting night on the same old looks.

    The Atlanta game, guys couldn't miss. I saw plenty of open shots vs Utah, it's not like there were hands in faces all the time.

    Troy comes down on a trailer and gets a wide open look that he can even step into...clank. Dun or Danny spot up open for a catch and shoot...clank.

    That ain't "contested shots", that's "need new talent".


    What part of ANY of these player's history suggested that they would be over 40% from 3? That's many systems and many teammates worth of data too. In fact this is why I have been so complimentary of Dun, he was way above expectations this year.

    But when you look at those preseason expectations the one constant among naysayers like me was "mismatch of system and talent". What was winning me over was a hint that lots of the talent had changed, but it's starting to look like as the season wears on and games pile up that guys are reverting to what they've always been.

    Even Hulk was flipping out last night.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-09-2008 at 11:33 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we need to do our very best to ride these players into the playoffs for the money involved, the experience whomever's left after this summer will gain, and the fact that from a P.R. perspective I think it will help to have us in rather than out (especially having not made it last year). I also think as soon as mid-July hits you hit the market hard with blowing this team to hell. Take the short-term high of the playoffs to pump a little oxygen back in the franchise's lungs so it can live off of that air while we rebuild.
    Sounds great. My only concern with that line of thinking is that TPTB will consider making the playoffs this year as an improvement over last year. As a result, they'll decide to keep the team together and make a couple more Kareem Rush / Travis Diener/Andre Owens type free agent signings.

    I really think it's going to take missing the playoffs for a second straight year for them to realize that there needs to be some changes. That said, I don't think the Pacers will miss the playoffs. This isn't a bad team; it's a mediocre .500 team that'll hit high points and low points throughout the season. Right now, we're in a trough. In a few weeks though, they'll play better and we'll start having better feelings again before they hit another trough.

  15. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    clock eFG%
    00-10 .529
    11-15 .451
    16-20 .490
    21-24 .402

    Huge problem with this stat to prove this point. The first category includes all TO scores, and even slow-down teams look good on that number.

    Pull out the 0-5 and see even what 6-10 on it's own looks like, and that still include baseline TO's and crazy rebounds that just take everyone longer to get down court. I mean 1 second? That's a steal at their rim, not a "quick shot in motion offense".

    But then you have a contradiction. The true "early" clock, the one where you might not get to HC within 3-4 seconds and then spend 3-4 more with at least a few passes and end up into the 11-15 range which is quick shooting in terms of any level of HC set at all, the team isn't as good.

    In fact they are better, acceptably so even, when they run a LONGER set, getting into the last stages of the clock.

    And then obviously no one shoots well when they've only got 4 or less left, that's breakdown time, not what you meant to do.

  16. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on, that's a cheap statement because you know very well that part of the problem is that there is NOT a lot of ball or player movement right now. No, running in a large circle around the outside of the paint, and passing it back and forth does not count. As for quick shots, personally I like them if it's an "in-rhythm" shot that's an honestly open look, especially off of a kick-out from the post or a driving player, but not when it's done just for the sake of shooting early (of which Tinsley and Murphy are quickly becoming masters).
    Mal, you are correct, it was a cheap statement, I was trying to be a a little tongue-in-cheek a little ironic. My only real point is that I'm not all that concerned about the style of the offense, as any style has its good and bad qualities. Running the type of offense this year has some drawbacks, as did the offense we ran the past 4 years - and they each have good points to them. I do reject the notion that the offense we ran under Carlisle was bad in concept as it seems many Pacers fans believe to at least a certain degree

  17. #17
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cap room mean nothing & I mean nothing if you can't attract free agents to come here.

    Well here is the news on that, young big name free agents are not going to be lining up to play for a team that they consider has zero chance of winning in the very near future.
    It's curious that you say this after losing to Utah. A team, nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, wants to go to. However, they were able to get Boozer and Okur, two all-stars, via free agency. Sure, we can say that they lucked out now, but when they signed those guys, everyone was saying that they overpaid.

    Then they've rebuilt through the draft with guys like Williams, Kirilenko, and Brewer. Seems like an ok way to rebuild to me. And you don't have to be a FA hot spot to do it.

  18. #18
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,779

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't want them to get cap room, I want them to get salary RELIEF.

    I don't buy into a big name signing, but I do think it would be nice if you could sign a KAPONO when you needed a 3pt ace rather than settling for Mark Price aka ball boy and Rush.

    This team is toast for 3-4 years unless this current group recovers somehow. If what we've seen lately is where it's headed then blowing it up is what must be done. Tins/JO for Wally, fine. Stuff like that is just to clear out the roster, not to solve anything.

    And isn't it ironic that I'm now saying "move JO" and Peck is saying "don't move him"? Try that 2 months ago.
    Okay....who stole Seth's login? I don't believe he wrote this post.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. #19
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,297

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Secondly, and this is a general statement not related to quoting UB, but if we're going to have an offense that treats anyone with an outside shot like their Reggie Miller (in regards to how enthusiastically they are encouraged to shoot the ball), why not set as many screens as you would for Reggie Miller? I mean it's not like this is a roster filled with shooters that can create their own shots/looks. Give Mike 2 or 3 screens along the baseline. Kareem too. Danny and Shawne.

    I mean if what Jim said is true (and I have no reason to say he's making it up) that we hit over 50% of our open shots while making only like 18% of our contested shots, then why the hell wouldn't you set more screens for these guys? They can't create their own shots and they're usually slower than the guy on the other team. They NEED this as far as I can tell.
    This a great observation and I don't know why this has not been done. OB said the defense was his the players could run the offense. Maybe they need some coaching here also.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  20. #20
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,779

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's curious that you say this after losing to Utah. A team, nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, wants to go to. However, they were able to get Boozer and Okur, two all-stars, via free agency. Sure, we can say that they lucked out now, but when they signed those guys, everyone was saying that they overpaid.

    Then they've rebuilt through the draft with guys like Williams, Kirilenko, and Brewer. Seems like an ok way to rebuild to me. And you don't have to be a FA hot spot to do it.
    Just like the Bulls did a couple of years ago when they had a boatload of $$$...the best FA that they were able to sign was Eddie Robinson. I could see the Pacers FO doing the same because I have little confidence in them that even with a huge bankroll of $$$ that they couldn't get a solid FA.

    Maybe the change that we have to look for in the coming year has to not only come from a change in the lineup....but a change in the FO.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #21
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,779

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's curious that you say this after losing to Utah. A team, nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, wants to go to. However, they were able to get Boozer and Okur, two all-stars, via free agency. Sure, we can say that they lucked out now, but when they signed those guys, everyone was saying that they overpaid.

    Then they've rebuilt through the draft with guys like Williams, Kirilenko, and Brewer. Seems like an ok way to rebuild to me. And you don't have to be a FA hot spot to do it.
    Just like the Bulls did a couple of years ago when they had a boatload of $$$...the best FA that they were able to sign was Eddie Robinson. I could see the Pacers FO doing the same because I have little confidence in them that even with a huge bankroll of $$$ that they couldn't get a solid FA.

    Maybe the change that we have to look for in the coming year has to not only come from a change in the lineup....but a change in the FO.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  22. #22
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,205

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on, that's a cheap statement because you know very well that part of the problem is that there is NOT a lot of ball or player movement right now. No, running in a large circle around the outside of the paint, and passing it back and forth does not count. As for quick shots, personally I like them if it's an "in-rhythm" shot that's an honestly open look, especially off of a kick-out from the post or a driving player, but not when it's done just for the sake of shooting early (of which Tinsley and Murphy are quickly becoming masters).
    It's a cheap statement because only the coach was changed. We don't have the players to run that type of offense, which is exactly why RC didn't run one, which has been my argument for nearly 2years.

    Look at the offense RC ran under Bird, look at what he ran during the Brawl season. He isn't this mechanical robot that keeps his egg timer in his pocket like some on this board would like you to think he is.

    He's a very, very smart coach who doesn't try to fit square pegs into round holes. He evaluated what type of players he was given and ran the best offense suited for them. It just happened that the most important position was held by a pouting immature man that felt like he should be able to play like he was on the And-1 tour.

    Everyone knows it, but I'll say it again, this is a players league. That is two fold for the Indiana Pacers. They have players that want to run, but don't have the phsyical ability nor the mental ability to do so. So they got their wish, ran a coach out who saw them for what they were, and are reaping the benefits of it.

    With that said, do I believe they would be better off with Rick as the coach? Nope. I think they still would be lousy, just for different variables. They still wouldn't have the talent to be good, and they wouldn't want to play for him.

    Giving a pig a bath and placing it in a dress doesn't change the fact that it's a pig, which is what they did in the offseason. Getting rid of Rick for JOB supposedly cleaned up the situation, and Rush/Diener/Owens are the new dress.

    Retooling by changing your 12-15th men doesn't do a damn thing. The "leaders" have only lead this team into losing and legal problems. What great examples.


    I think the most telling thing about the past few years is how much this board changed. As the team sank into either legal problems or kept losing posters who were big upfront mainstays on the board have shifted to the back, we've lost the diehards who would spice things up, get banned but still find ways to come back, and the overall energy has hit rock bottom. I look at it as a pure reflection of the team. There's not much hope, and what little there is feels manufactured because we want to believe.

    Something big needs to happen, whether it turns out positive or not. Risks have to be taken because at this pace high school games will have bigger turnouts.

  23. #23
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,395

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    I know what our problem is, Peck. It's a lack of talent.

    Most nights, I don't blame the lack of effort, just the lack of consistency and play-making ability.

    We have lots of good/okay/bad players. No great players, and nobody with exceptional upside (except, maybe, Shawne Williams). Tinsley is very good (when he's healthy and playing in the right system), and is easily our best player. But he doesn't have the right players surrounding him.

    I was never big on Ike, which is one reason I was so vehemently opposed to the GS trade.

    We have a lot of solid guys who are also inconsistent. Granger, Dunleavy, and Quis being the most notable.

    JO is not the same player he once was. The system doesn't really suit him, but it's not just that.

    It's time to rebuild, not retool.

  24. #24
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,395

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bird has said he won't make a move unless it improves us. He's also said he doesn't believe in tearing a team down and starting from scratch.
    This has also been the Knicks' philosophy, and look where it has gotten them.

    The problem with "staying the course" with an average team is that you're never good enough to win anything significant, and never bad enough to get a much-needed talent-infusion.

    People are making fun of the Heat, but they're in a MUCH better position than we are. They won a title, and are now bad enough to get a very high draft pick next season. And they still have a very young Dwayne Wade. When Shaq's massive contract comes off the books in a couple years, Miami is going to be able to rebuild in one fell swoop ala Portland. The Blazers are the proper model for how rebuilding should be done. And if they could manage to purge those hideous contracts that they had within a couple or three years, we should be able to do the same.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,439

    Default Re: Odd thoughts after being trounced by Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what our problem is, Peck. It's a lack of talent.

    Most nights, I don't blame the lack of effort, just the lack of consistency and play-making ability.

    We have lots of good/okay/bad players. No great players, and nobody with exceptional upside (except, maybe, Shawne Williams). Tinsley is very good (when he's healthy and playing in the right system), and is easily our best player. But he doesn't have the right players surrounding him.

    I was never big on Ike, which is one reason I was so vehemently opposed to the GS trade.

    We have a lot of solid guys who are also inconsistent. Granger, Dunleavy, and Quis being the most notable.

    JO is not the same player he once was. The system doesn't really suit him, but it's not just that.

    It's time to rebuild, not retool.
    I would say that the biggest downfall for the Pacers has far and away been Jermaine O'neal really falling off from what he used to be. He used to be sort of the Eastern Conf Tim Duncan.

    Not as good as Duncan, but still probably one of the two best bigmen in the conference. He was a workhorse. A guy who could really anchor the frontcourt who made it easier to put complementary/role playing guys on the floor.

    He's just not the same as what he used to be, which is too bad because he's not that old. Two years ago, the Pacers could have demanded premium value in return for Jermaine. They can't do that any longer, and that's definitely a blow to the franchise.

Similar Threads

  1. 01/08/2008 Guess The Score - Pacers at Utah
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
  2. Your thoughts on Kareem Rush
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
  4. The Utah Metric: How valuable is player X?
    By kester99 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
  5. 11/17/2007 Guess The Score - Pacers vs. Utah
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •