Thread: Pat Riley is such a weasel

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs down Pat Riley is such a weasel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,4744307.story

MINNEAPOLIS - After committing in the offseason to coaching the Heat through 2009-2010, Pat Riley is leaning toward stepping aside after this season.

With his team struggling and in need of a significant roster overhaul, Riley said it might be in the franchise's best interest if he focuses solely on his role as team president.

"But that's after this season," Riley stressed, as he looked ahead to Tuesday night's game against the Timberwolves at Target Center. "That's not now."

Riley, 62, said he was torn by the commitment he made to owner Micky Arison to hold the dual roles over the remaining two-plus seasons on his Heat contract.

"Sometimes, just with me, I feel like now, more than ever, I might be butting heads with both jobs," he said. "And I've revisited that over and over again."

Several NBA coaches have final say on personnel decisions, ranging from the success of San Antonio's Gregg Popovich to the failure of New York's Isiah Thomas.

But Riley said he now sees why the majority of teams divide the responsibilities.

"I was much better, I believe, just as a president," he said, "because I wasn't having to deal with the personalities."

Just over a year ago, Riley left the team for six weeks to undergo knee surgery and a hip replacement, with assistant Ron Rothstein guiding the team back into playoff contention.

Riley insisted there would be no such break this season, but backed off considerably from the statement he issued on Aug. 18, when he said, "I'm going to coach another three years, the terms of my contract. … I don't want to be a one-and-done guy every year. I have three years left on my contract and I will coach those out."

At the time, Riley thought the Heat would return to title contention. Instead, it has sunk to the bottom of the league, in part because of front-office decisions that have stripped the team of much of its 3-point shooting, defensive grit and quality depth.

"As a coach," he said, "there's a real personal attachment that I have had with players that is not as objective on the other side."

Given the opportunity by Monday's deadline to clear the Heat of two non-guaranteed contracts, Riley retained forward Alexander Johnson and center Joel Anthony, leaving his roster at the league-limit of 15 and denying the team the opportunity to try out prospects on 10-day contracts.

"I grow very close to guys, young guys that might not be performing for me, because I've always been that way," he said. "That's how I sort of related to guys as coach."

Riley has spoken of selecting his successor from his staff, with Erik Spoelstra, 37, considered the front-runner among the current assistants. Riley also is particularly close to longtime coach Mike Fratello, the former Heat television analyst who has been out of the league since being dismissed last season by Memphis.

Riley's anticipated enshrinement into the Basketball Hall of Fame would be in September, a ceremony that could provide closure to a coaching career that produced four championships with the Showtime Lakers in the '80s and a 2006 title for the Heat.

"I think this has to be addressed," he said of a full-time return to the front office. "It has to be addressed by me in an honest, objective way."
    This bandwagoning BS of his sickens me.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Pat Riley is such a weasel

Pathetic. Seriously, did he not hear the sports talk when he returned? And now SVG is over in Orlando winning games.

Worst of all is that he got a ring out of Wade drawing fouls out of nowhere for 4 games, and for that he was labeled genius all over again. At times he may have been, but much of his work in Miami lately seems questionable in spite of the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pathetic. Seriously, did he not hear the sports talk when he returned? And now SVG is over in Orlando winning games.

Worst of all is that he got a ring out of Wade drawing fouls out of nowhere for 4 games, and for that he was labeled genius all over again. At times he may have been, but much of his work in Miami lately seems questionable in spite of the title.
    Riley might be a weasel, but he's done plenty well for a Miami franchise that pretty much was still considered an expansion team going nowhere when he took over them in 95'.

He brought in Zo. He brought in Tim Hardaway. He got stopped cold by the Bulls. Then he got Wade and Odom. Then he got Shaq and went for it all. He won a title. He wouldn't have won that title by playing it conservatively.

And with his luck, a good chance he's going to wind up with Rose or Beasley this year.

It's not a pretty situation for them right now, but Riley is a guy who's succeeded more than he's failed, so I'm not about to doubt that in 2 years he's back to being competitive again.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Riley might be a weasel, but he's done plenty well for a Miami franchise that pretty much was still considered an expansion team going nowhere when he took over them in 95'.

He brought in Zo. He brought in Tim Hardaway. He got stopped cold by the Bulls. Then he got Wade and Odom. Then he got Shaq and went for it all. He won a title. He wouldn't have won that title by playing it conservatively.

And with his luck, a good chance he's going to wind up with Rose or Beasley this year.

It's not a pretty situation for them right now, but Riley is a guy who's succeeded more than he's failed, so I'm not about to doubt that in 2 years he's back to being competitive again.
    You could make the argument that if he had stuck with Wade/Odom/Butler/Haslem core he would still be contending in the East. They likely wouldn't have won the title, but that core would be in the top 4 in the East.

That argument is worthless. Not because it isn't correct, but because it being correct does absolutely nothing to the stance it objects against. No one would change 4th place in the East for a Championship. Not even Seth.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    You could make the argument that if he had stuck with Wade/Odom/Butler/Haslem core he would still be contending in the East. They likely wouldn't have won the title, but that core would be in the top 4 in the East.
    Overlap in positions of those players as Butler is a SF, Haslem is a PF, and Odom is a SF/PF. No center and no PG, the two most important positions in the NBA. He did right in getting Shaq, but they should have blown it up right after.

I imagine they still make a trade before Feb. 21.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Thus the "lately".

And I mean his status as genius coach, not his GM work. LA, NY, MIA 90's, he was great. This last run was all the talent. What made it worse was the sudden surge in the playoffs that made it seem like he'd flipped a switch in them. But I actually think it was brilliant that he could go from Showtime to Mugtime and do both at nearly the same caliber of winning.

But coming out of retirement as a token coach was cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    That argument is worthless. Not because it isn't correct, but because it being correct does absolutely nothing to the stance it objects against. No one would change 4th place in the East for a Championship. Not even Seth.
    How big a 4th place are we talking? Penthouse suite 4th place or Motel 6 4th place? Is it a 4 game sweep championship or 4 point play bad call in game 7 kind of championship.

(no, I don't exactly know what that means either )
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-09-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Sports Logo

When the going gets tough......the tough get going.

When the Heat starts losing games....Riley gets going.

When the Heat starts winning games....Riley gets the urge to coach.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    When the going gets tough......the tough get going.

When the Heat starts losing games....Riley gets going.

When the Heat starts winning games....Riley gets the urge to coach.
    My exact sentiments.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    But coming out of retirement as a token coach was cheap.
    I guess it is easier just to rehash the ludicrous "Heat only won cause of fouls" opinion that was oh-so popular among 15-year-olds and poor sports reporters from a few years ago. Sure, that was the only factor. Had nothing to do with Wade being really good, or Shaq playing well, or Gary hitting game winners or Zo playing inspired ball.

And it certainly had nothing to do with Pat Riley. Right. An NBA legend with 4 rings and like 6 trips to the Finals had no effect on these guys. Sure. Stan Van Gundy would have been just as inspirational. Obviously.

http://www.nba.com/features/15strong_060713.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dwyane Wade
    When Coach Riley took over, I didn't know what to expect, but I had faith. When one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game becomes your coach, you know you are in good hands. It was an honor. One of the first things he told us was that we were going to turn into more of a power team, which was a departure from how we had played under Coach Van Gundy. After three games, however, I knew I was going to love our new style because I was getting more opportunities and fast breaks. Coach Riley helped me improve my overall game. If I played poorly or if I played well, he always pointed out something to show me the way it was supposed to be done.

"If you want to be a winner," he said, "this is what you are going to have to do and what you should try to do."

Who am I to argue with him?
    So, I always tried to do it.

It took us awhile to adjust to the new style. Things didn't really click for us until, coincidentally, a 36-point loss to the Mavericks in Dallas on national television February 9. We were embarrassed and humiliated. In the team meeting after the loss, I remember Gary Payton standing up and asking what it was going to take to get better.

Coach Riley answered, "It's time to follow the leader."

We did.
    Any individual agendas — ranging from who shoots, who plays, what the rotation is — all took a back seat. The loss was a wake-up call, and we collectively decided to play as a unit beginning with our next game, three days later, versus the Pistons. We came from behind to win that game and immediately rolled to nine more victories. In those 10 consecutive wins, we came back eight times during the fourth quarter.

Even though we sort of sputtered toward the end of the regular season, losing six of our last 10 games, we knew we had the second seed in the Eastern Conference wrapped up.

Once the playoffs came around, there was a fair amount of people predicting that we would get knocked off, and that Chicago could be the team to do it, especially after they came back to tie the series. I think we really underestimated the Bulls, but we took their best punch. Outside of The Finals, that was probably the hardest series we played and one of the hardest that I've ever been a part of in my young career.

The next series against the New Jersey Nets started off poorly for us, as we lost Game 1 by 12 points. Once again, our downfall was predicted. But, we bounced back after realizing that our problems were coming from the defensive side of the ball — too many transition points and not enough rebounding. The key was to get back to playing as a team, which we did with the help of a huge performance from Antoine Walker in Game 2. From there, we rolled into Detroit, the series we had been waiting for all season long. We knew we could defeat this team if we played well. We had a lot of confidence in ourselves, and with Cleveland playing them so tough in the previous round, we saw the way they could be beaten. It took six games, but we got it done.

After the first two games of the NBA Finals, the doubters were out again with talk that the series wouldn't make it back to Dallas — a point that bothered us, but one that didn't surprise us since we had been underestimated all year. In fact, it lit a fire under us to go out and prove our point. Even during Game 3 when we were down 13 with 6:34 left, we still believed. We believed, becoming only the third team in NBA Finals history to win four straight against a great Dallas team.

In the end, it really was about "15 Strong" for us, a motto that came to represent togetherness and dedication to one another. No matter if we were high or low, through thick and thin, we always stuck together as a team. A lot of the guys on this team — Alonzo, Gary, Antoine — were doubted because they had never won a championship despite their individual success. It's just great when you can go out there and prove people wrong, and do it the right way. We all made plays to get to this point and achieve this goal, and that is what team basketball is all about … 15 Strong."
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

He needs to man up and accept responsibility cause his teams suck!!!
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Come on, no one is questioning that Pat Riley is a better coach than Stan van Gundy or Ron Rothstein. It's just that Riley seems to take the easy way out a little too often.

woman without a team

I think Pat should step aside and hire Scott Skiles. I can't wait to have Shaq give Scott a hard time so Scott can say "I fought you once. Don't think I won't do it again."