Thread: OT: Anyone listen to Dan Patrick today between 1:30 and 2?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT: Anyone listen to Dan Patrick today between 1:30 and 2?

Just curious to see any thoughts on what was discussed.

He had Hugh Hollins on and he asked him about what happened last night at the Lakers game when the one ref came to the scorer's table and asked how many fouls Shaq had.

Hollins basically came out and said that preferential treatment is given to marquee players.

I wish I had a transcript of what was said.

Default Re: OT: Anyone listen to Dan Patrick today between 1:30 and 2?

Did that really happen? It wouldn't surprise me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NBA slips more and more each day.

Preferential treatment = CHEATING

And yet, Stern does NOTHING about it. I wonder why. ed:

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Just curious to see any thoughts on what was discussed.

He had Hugh Hollins on and he asked him about what happened last night at the Lakers game when the one ref came to the scorer's table and asked how many fouls Shaq had.

Hollins basically came out and said that preferential treatment is given to marquee players.

I wish I had a transcript of what was said.
    THAT is why the Lakers will win the title. Whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not the NBA leaves conspiracy talk up in the air with their deplorable officiating.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Not to disagree with you, but I don't think it's all on Stern's shoulders...There are a lot more involved with not bringing up the issue. If the owners really cared, they would do something about it.

Nerd.
    Mood

Did that really happen? It wouldn't surprise me.
    Yes, it did really happen...It was kinda sickening to listen to....

I'd laugh like hell if Wolves fans filed a class action lawsuit vs the NBA.

How long until the league starts being referred to as "Sports Entertainment?"

BTW - I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist, but NBA games are the most poorly officiated sporting event on the planet. Between blown calls and preferential treatment ...
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

[size=24:9bd1d7cee4][color=green:9bd1d7cee4]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[/color][/size]
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

[size=24:637e5538ac][color=green:637e5538ac]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[/color][/size]
    It was a rhetorical statement. But thanks.

It's not on Stern as much as it is on Stu Jackson. Stern has butted head many times with the officiating league.

sweabs

BTW - I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist, but NBA games are the most poorly officiated sporting event on the planet. Between blown calls and preferential treatment ...
    And is probably the hardest game to officiate on the planet.

But I agree - I can do without the preferential treatment. The whole idea of an "all-star" getting certain calls is just stupid.

[size=24:4d848ce4ff][color=green:4d848ce4ff]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[/color][/size]
    It was a rhetorical statement. But thanks.
    Sorry, didn't catch the rhetoric. I did, however, wonder how you could make that statement. My opinion of your opinions has gone right back up
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

But I agree - I can do without the preferential treatment. The whole idea of an "all-star" getting certain calls is just stupid.
    Especially since our All-star doesn't!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Yeah, let me ask you guys:

Would you like to see everyone get equal calls?Meaning that there would be NO super-star calls at all or would you just like to see certain guys like JO get more calls?

Nerd.
    Mood

Would you like to see everyone get equal calls?Meaning that there would be NO super-star calls at all or would you just like to see certain guys like JO get more calls?
    Everyone gets equal calls.

You see a foul, you call it.

Plain and simple. That's the rules.

I don't care if the game takes 8 hours to play or if over half the roster fouls out. The players will and should adapt.

Mood

I don't care if the game takes 8 hours to play or if over half the roster fouls out. The players will and should adapt.
    Yep. You'd get games where everyone's in foul trouble at first, but then the players would learn they just can't grab and hold anymore.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

AGREED!!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I don't think it would be all bad for the refs to call a foul a foul. They don't have to wait to see if the ball goes in the bucket and then make a call. They don't have to ask the scorer's table how many fouls a player has to determine how they should call a game. They don't have to check at halftime to see which team has had the most fouls called against them so they can even things up. They don't have to change the way they call a game from quarter to quarter or half to half. What is the problem with giving EQUAL calls?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

DTropps

Over the last few days I have posted I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Still don't. But even I have to admit this conversation does hurt my theory a bit and helps support the consipiracy people.

That said if the Pistons make it to the NBA Finals I'm not going to be whining about conspiracy theories if we lose.

Possibly - maybe not. Hockey's not simple. Lot of speed, players all over the floor and quite a few judgement calls - boarding vs a clean check, hooking vs just having a stick up there, etc.

What bothers me is the league doesn't seem to feel any urgency to improve it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I guess I see it less as conspiracy and more as a human error, or peer pressure thing. Not sure I'm saying it right but they may have been concerned about fouling out the best player in the game (according to many, not my personal feeling) on his home floor in such a big game. Does that make it right, NO! But does it explain it a little bit, maybe. Same reason KG doesn't get suspended for game 7 inround 2 and Peeler gets 2 games! Or Malone only getting fined (that was really bad IMO) It stinks but that is the way it is and the NBA doesn't seeem to mind the critisism of a double standard enough to be fair.

When JO got his 5th foul the other night, Rick told him try not to foul, I can't take you out now or you won't be able to get warm again (knee). I think Rick and JO knew the ref's wouldn't hesitate to call his 6th foul with 6 minutes to go in the game, esp. seeing how it had gone all night. It killed us because JO couldn't defend like he would have and they took advantage of it. If it was Shaq, they don't make that call (to foul him out)unless it is so blatant, and maybe not even then.

It stinks when other players are getting star treatment and your players, who are legitamate star's, aren't, but that has been the case all year. Rick spoke about it publicly many times this year and the team filed (I think) 2 complaints to the league and it hasn't made a bit of difference. Don't know what it will take, maybe a year of very good behavoir from JO to get rid of his whining reputation, another year of good behavior from Ron to help overcome last years troubles. Lets hope it gets better cause I really don't think it could get any worse.

We aren't losing this series because of the refs, but they haven't helped us much either. It is so frustrating to see our post guys hammered when they go to the hoop and Rip have someone barely touch him on a drive and get the call. The touch fouls against us this series have been unbelievable compared to Detroit. I think it must even out somewhere and I'm sure I don't even notice many calls that go against Detroit because I am not focusing on them, but it has been tough to watch. Just call it the same on both ends!! I'm not looking for special treatment, just equal treatment.

Whew I feel better now.

A little more background on what was said.

This all started over Eddie Rush (one of those refs I USED to think was good) asking the scorers bench last night how many fouls Shaq had. Brent Musberger and Tim Legler were doing ESPN radio, and Legler was not happy, and let everyone know it. I haven't seen any TV, so I don't know if it's been discussed or not.

Anyway, Dan couldn't get anyone from the league office on, so he got Hue Hollins, who retired a couple years back after 27 years officiating. When asked if refs keep track of fouls, Hue said of course they do, they just discuss it amongst themselves, instead of going to the scoring table. He pointed out that Dick Bavetta was the lead offical of last night's game, and it was his job to keep track of such things and let the other two know what the game situation was.

He said the biggest problem with officiating today is them throwing together these teams who don't ref together in the regular season. They don't know each other's tendancies that officating tandems get by being together over a number of games, and that leads to the unevenness of games (Sunday night, perhaps?)

So, as for the prefential treatment thing. Hue did say flat out that when a guy gets 5 fouls, the refs absolutely make a point to not foul him out on a "cheap" foul, what other people call "ticky-tack". And with a star player like Shaq, or Kobe, or Garnett, or Sprewell, it's even moreso.

Dan kept trying to put the words "preferential treatment" in his mouth, and Hue kept fighting against that. So he brought up the argument of an Oliver Miller, which is where Hue really buried himself. He said that the refs "know" that someone like Miller is just in there to foul, so they're treated differently than a marque player like Shaq. I think Hue was going for a hack-a-Shaq, intentional foul thing, but it wasn't coming off like that.

Hue did try his best to argue against the notion that refs can fix games. "We're not that smart, at least I never was. The game goes to fast to keep track of such things." To which Dan retorted with the whole foul thing they'd started on. And Hue tried to make it like that wasn't "preferential treatment", per se.

To sum up, Hue tried his best, but he was in over his head. As much as I knock Patrick, he's a very good interviewer, and can very easily lead you to places you don't want to go if you're not careful.

After the interview, I wasn't terribly surprised by what had been said, but Dan and Dibble sure acted like they were. They acted totally shocked that a ref would actually say that different people are treated different ways, depending on the circumstances. Duke joked that he might lose his pension. Dibble said that it puts the journeymen at a real disadvantage, drawing up a scenario where, "Mark Madsen makes a really great block, but gets called for the foul because that's what the refs are expecting to call before the play happens." He asked Dan if NBA refs are part-timers, to which Dan replied that, no, that's only the NFL. Dibble surmised you should expect a lot more from professionals.

I was tempted to call in and talk about Game 4 of the 2000 Finals, where Shaq got his 5th early in the 4th, but wasn't fouled out until the OT period, well after Dale and Smits had fouled out and Sam had 5, but I figured I wouldn't get on.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!