Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to lose the Pacers?

Mood

Default Are we going to lose the Pacers?

There's been some discussions before about the Pacers moving out of Indianapolis, and the recent decline in game attendance and the overall lack of interest the team generates from the state made me wonder if it's a realistic possibilty that we might lose the Pacers. The Simons have stepped down, and on top of that, you need not work for the Pacers to realize the dramatic drop in ticket sales. It seems like nobody really cares about the Pacers anymore. I'm just a regular naive Joe wondering. Can somebody provide more substantial input on the matter?

Default Re: Are we going to lose the Pacers?

While not entirely out of the question, it would take several years as a bottom dweller (attendance-wise) before I became seriously worried. I'm positive the fair-weathered fans of Indianapolis and her surrounding territories will begin filing back in after the Colts season concludes.

The Simons have stepped down?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

-Bball
    Ditto. I don't recall hearing about this anywhere.

Though not impossible, I doubt it would happen for quite a few years. Especially since Conseco has only been around 8 years or so, and attendance has only really been down for about 3 years.

Now, if things continue to get worse for the next decade or so? It's a possibility.

I think the Simons stepped down (at least somewhat) from their Simon Malls operations but I didn't think they had abdicated from their PS&E perch.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

1. It is possible. The realm of possibility is vast.

2. It is unlikely.

Sure, if we project the downward trend out several years, the losses become unbearable. But economic trends don't ever continue very long before they alter.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

A couple more years like this and I'll say it's very possible, but it's too soon.

A bigger concern is that with revenue down, you can eventually expect wholesale roster moves driven solely by cost-cutting, to get us in the bottom third of the league in payroll,

i.e. we would give teams good players and draft picks merely to take guys with big contracts like Dun, Murph, even JO off of our hands with not much coming back.

Also this could be augmented by not signing players coming off their rookie contracts (Danny, Ike, Shawne...)

I'd think a move is a longer-term concern

Not going to happen, relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    A couple more years like this and I'll say it's very possible, but it's too soon.
    ditto

I think it is a great idea. The city would get rid of all those "thugs" and I'm sure the crime rate would drop 40-50%.

The city could downsize their police force and the newspapers could cut their sportswriters by 2/3's. Looks like a win-win sitution to me.

The city could hold high school and college games in Conceso and sell the place out everytime.

The thing that worries me is that it doesn't seem to matter who the opponent is or what day of thr week the games are played. Saturday or Friday night crowds are the same as Tuesday and Wednesday night crowds and the opponent doesn't seem to matter too much.

The only two crowds that were a little higher was the Friday post Thanksgiving crowd against the Mavs. (A game that the Pacers have sold out for years. And the Saturday night post Christmas crowd against the Pistons. Typically attendance is very high right after Christmas and before New Years, because most people have a lot of free time and are looking to do something.

The only other crowd that was decent was opening night, but that was falsely inflated because the Pacers decided to include that game in each of the 4 mini-season packages.

When there are 10,000 tickets sold for a Friday night game - that is really sad, and a bit shocking

Banned

No, but they have been hit by a perfect storm.

1.) Colt's success

2.) Economy

3.) off court problems

4.) No superstar players(JO is not)

5.) Medicore roster

6.) Bad marketing

7.) I am tired, add your own reasons

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

When there are 10,000 tickets sold for a Friday night game - that is really sad, and a bit shocking
    You could look at that as a positive. If people stay away in droves it might spur management into making the changes necessary to improve the quality and likability of the team. People have to send a message.

The worst thing fans can do is to blindly support a product that is unsatisfactory. If fans do that, management has little reason to improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post

The worst thing fans can do is to blindly support a product that is unsatisfactory. If fans do that, management has little reason to improve things.

But I still enjoy going to the games. I still enjoy watching the Pacers play, I still enjoy watching NBA basketball in person, so I don't plan to stop going anytime soon.

If the Pacers left Indiana, I'm hoppin on the Blazers bandwagon. LOL!!! I'm An Indiana Pacers Fan not a Oklahoma City Pacers Fan. U know what I mean
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

I feel like this is 90% of the reason TPTB haven't "blown it up."

The popularity is at an all time low (in my lifetime as a knowing fan), imagine what 3/4 seasons of lottery basketball would do to it.

I have said stuff along the same lines before but I don't think people like the NBA much in general.

I know of maybe one person who follows the Pacers. There are some others who did when Reggie played but that's really it. And as far as people paying attention to the NBA well not many do like they use to.

Sure it hurts not having a big time star. All the off court problems hurt. I don't think much of the Pacers marketing from what I have seen, but more then anything, as far as what the Pacers have done, I think what has hurt them is the lack of winning. No one wants to support a loser.

But I also blame the NBA a lot. I feel the NBA is more worried about retro jerseys and having fans from all over the world then they are about having fans attend the games.

You can't go to your local wal mart and buy yourself a Pacer shirt outside of Indy but boy you can sure find plenty of Colts shirts. Maybe this has more to do with demand then the leagues.

David Stern gets a lot of credit for expanding the NBA worldwide. But I also give him credit for the USA's interest in the NBA go down post Jordan era.

I have no clue if Indy will lose the Pacers but if so I blame it on the league itself more than anything.

i, don't think they are going anywhere ( at least anytime soon)
    there are other teams like the hornets and hawks that have had lousy attendance for many years. why the guy moved the hornets to new orleans is something i never understood in the first place i mean its not like that place was ever known for their love of hoops.
    but back to the pacers and the nba in general, i have noticed while watching several games over recent years that the attendance figures must be significantly down as compared to what they used to be. this is league-wide. when i watch other teams games anymore (which isn't nearly as much as i used to) i am seeing many more empty seats than i used to. i think that not only are people getting fed up with their own teams nonsense with players behaving badly and stuff but also that we are seeing the result of ticket prices that are constantly outpacing inflation and people are saying to themselves that the are much better options for their entertainment dollars. i suspect many teams are inflating their attendance numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

-Bball
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Ditto. I don't recall hearing about this anywhere.
    I think what denyfizle is referring to is Simmons Bros relinquishing their position as Board chairmen in their dealings with the Fieldhouse. I recall an article that came out earlier in the season that discussed something to this effect, but can't remember where I read it nor the exact details.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish attendance would improve, it is sad that it has not.

Most of it is an NBA problem, name me one NBA that has as loyal of a following as an NFL team like the Redskins, Steelers, or Raiders. It just doesn't exist.

Part of it is a fickle fan problem. Indiana has terribly fickle fans and that reality mixed with the fact that no NBA team has a loyal following like some of the strong NFL traditional teams bodes very poorly for the Pacers.

However if we didn't band together and we lost the team, I'd probably abandon Indianapolis sports altogether, which would be difficult because I have spent my whole life rooting for the Colts and the Pacers and most of it living in Indiana. I just couldn't root side by side with "hardcore" Colts fans who let a team with a tradition as rich as the Pacers just slip away. I'd become a hardcore Skins fan, now those are some fans who give their team unconditional support. Without getting too far off topic, the "Luke" is going to be embarassingly empty when Manning retires and the Colts suck again. They might have to contact the Pacers about buying some old curtains like they had in MSA.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I really think we're overreacting here. If the Pacers could just somehow do something to generate some "excitement" then I think attendance would get a little better and start to be fine overall.

But seriously, trying to win back fans with Travis Diener and Kareem Rush isn't cutting it, at least the casuals, which is a lot of the fan base.

If the the Pacers could somehow show the fans they are committed to winning a championship, I think things get a little better. Just 4-5 years ago this same thing was thought about the Colts and was probably laughed at if people asked about the Pacers leaving town.

Start winning. Get exciting players. That will get you some fans back. Sorry Larry/Donnie, I know getting that exciting player will be tough, but if you want more fans in the Fieldhouse, you're going to have to find a way.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

No, this will never happen.

if they did move how many of you would still be pacers fans?

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    if they did move how many of you would still be pacers fans?
    I wouldn't. In fact I doubt I'd care about the NBA or basketball at all for that matter.