Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game 35 Post-Game Thread: WE NEED TO TRADE JO

Default Re: Game 35 Post-Game Thread: WE NEED TO TRADE JO

Although I don't remember everything I posted from over the summer, I would have been fine with the pacers trading JO for Bynum and whoever else, bad contracts from the Lakers, OK. But now we see why the Lakers didn't want to trade Bynum

I'm starting to think that my joke thread title backfired on me.

I didn't watch the game, so I'd like to solicit opinions on this question:

If the Pacers had not give 21 more free throw attempts (for 19 points), how does the game change?

Would the Lakers have run away with the game even more? Or would the Pacers have stayed in the game without those freebies?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't watch the game, so I'd like to solicit opinions on this question:

If the Pacers had not give 21 more free throw attempts (for 19 points), how does the game change?

Would the Lakers have run away with the game even more? Or would the Pacers have stayed in the game without those freebies?
    It is really impossible to know. The fouling isn't something that you can just take away - that is what the pacers do. Other teams know that so they play for it and the refs know it to, so they are prepared for it. It is a major problem

Banned

We were spanked for the second time this season. Had the Lakers not removed their starts early in the 4th, we would've likely lost by 30+. We're a truly pathetic team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    At this point why not. I mean I don't think this team can get worse. I like Odom and Crittenden.

But I would really like to move Murphy's contract with Jermaine. But that is much easier said then done.

I really wonder if Jermaine gets a lot of serious trade interest. Maybe that is about as good as offer as the Pacers will get for him.
    I'm positive there's no way LA will do this trade now. They may want JO but all we'll get from them is a package of Radmonovich and Kwame Brown and Sahsa Vujacic.

Actually, that'd be a good salary reduction trade if they're interested in that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I truly doubt Bynum was ever on the table in a LAL/IND deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    We were spanked for the second time this season. Had the Lakers not removed their starts early in the 4th, we would've likely lost by 30+. We're a truly pathetic team.

I would just note that the Pacers.....

got 11 more field goal attempts than the Lakers
    scored 1 more field goal than the Lakers
    tried 7 more 3s than the Lakers
    scored 1 more 3 than the Lakers
    got 4 more rebounds than the Lakers
    got 3 more steals than the Lakers

The Pacers lost this game at the free throw line. They gave up 21 points at the line, and lost by only 16.

I'm not saying it was a good performance. But it was not entirely dismal.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Sorry Will but JO is ALWAYS recovering from something.
    I cannot tell you the last time I saw him put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole. I'm betting that during the course of a season you could count that move on your hands.
    Have you been watching the games? Go back through the recaps on ESPN.com and check out Jermaine's shot chart. Now, I'm not sure if you think the only thing that constitutes "taking it to the hole" is a big gorilla slam, because if so, then yes JO has laid off that a bit even though it does still happen. The most common move you will see from JO is the sweeping finger roll across the lane. You see this move at least a few times per game.
    Last edited by mb221; 01-07-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm starting to think that my joke thread title backfired on me.
    You know you weren't joking when you created the title of this thread
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    Have you been watching the games? Go back through the recaps on ESPN.com and check out Jermaine's shot chart. Now, I'm not sure if you think the only thing that constitutes "taking it to the hole" is a big gorilla slam, because if so, then yes JO has laid off that a bit even though it does still happen. The most common move you will see from JO is the sweeping finger roll across the lane. You see this move at least a few times per game.
    Here is his shot chart from last night's game:

Although it's just a sample of one game....overall...I think it's a good representation of where JONeal takes most of his shot.

IMHO....I consider JONeal less of a Low-Post scorer ( like the way that he used to be way back when ) and closer to the type of scorer that Murphy is....basically an occassional Low-Post scoring Big Man that actually earns his butter by scoring 1 or 2 feet away from the basket but more of a jumpshooter that takes shots further away from the basket. I'm sure that he does that "finger roll" move more often then not and does ( on occasion ) "takes it to the hole" ( either against a weaker Frontcourt or really bad defender ).....but unless he takes about 10-12 of those "finger rolls" a game or we play teams that has really bad defenders in the Frontcourt all the time........I'm gonna side with indygeezer on this.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-07-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    The most common move you will see from JO is the sweeping finger roll across the lane.

CableKC gives the shot chart from last night. JO wasn't working the inside very hard, clearly. And if you look at his stats on 82games, you'll see that 71% of all shots this season have been jump shots. About 6% are dunks and those "sweeping finger rolls across the lane" you speak of (and all other manner of close shots) are about 23% of all JO's shots.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07IND13A.HTM

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

yea JO didn't work the inside last night because if he did, he would have gotten his shot beat up by Andrew Bynum. Jermaine is repeatedly getting owned by anyone he plays against this year it seems. I used to think only Brendan Haywood had his number, but he doesn't even TRY to take it hard anymore...you can at least get a foul or something i mean ftw. One advantage JO used to have was that he COULD take his man one on one, he doesn't have that anymore unless he is being guarded by the likes of Jake Voshkul or Mark Madsen. His "sweeping finger roll" is about a 33% effective move...and sadly his best one.
    Last edited by jmoney2584; 01-07-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Don't type so well before my morning cup o'coffee

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

To me this game was a simple as it could be. The Pacers just don't have the talent.

Despite great energy by Indy, ultimately they were getting more tired because scoring for them comes hard and with their weak perimeter defense scoring for the Lakers came easy.

At one point in the 3rd or 4th Farmar (not Nash, not Paul) went easily from the arc to the charge circle for a short jumper (which he missed, but still). That's par for course.

JO's game was killed by Bynum because of Bynum's length. This is why he can't beat Sheed either, it's his main weakness.

JO's defense and effort were great. During the comeback in the 4th it was he, Dun and Quis making things happen, often cleaning up after out of control ballboy who's +/- I'm sure benefited from who he was out there with (haven't looked at it yet).

Where JO needs to adjust is his jumper. That's a valid shot, especially in this offense. Right now he just can't make it, but he SHOULD be able to hit that at 50%. I think Jeff is showing that he can, so why not JO.

If JO could get that shot then it would help the offense a ton.

One other thing, once JO figured out that he could do better with quickness on Bynum his game improved a bit. Unfortunately most of the offense kept setting him up in the high post jumper after a Dun or crazy-kid Diener run to the lane. And as for the assertion that he only took jumpers by the shot chart, that doesn't include the 3 fouls he drew on offense, all at the rim IIRC.

One positive - Quis for 99 rating on 2K8 "Shot in Traffic". Seriously, you find me a player that makes traffic "layups" better than him. Did he make any shot that wasn't a twisting, athletic, contested layup of some fashion? Amazing. Quis has flaws, he's not a PG answer for example, but damn do I like to see him 6 feet from the rim with 3 guys around him. That's money.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-07-2008 at 02:39 PM.

JO had the worst +/- stat yesterday!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

The fouls were a result of lack of ability to defend the perimeter and a lack of answer for Bynum's size. Either foul or give them the FGM, either way you are already beat.

Did I mention Diener stinks? I know people like that he's "feisty", but it's small college going for the #3 seed upset in the tourney feisty, ie not applicable to the NBA (certainly far less than Saras was).

An example, TD runs down a loose rebound. Great hustle they say...here's the problem though. It was JO that tipped away the rebound of TD's own miss with 3 Lakers around him, and when this backtip went out to where he expected teammates there was only a 4th Laker instead. So TD comes flying in out of control and knocks it away.

My problem is why isn't a guy just there already, why is it JO vs 4 Lakers for an offensive rebound? Why do you need slop to save the day when a guy wins the tip battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    One positive - Quis for 99 rating on 2K8 "Shot in Traffic". Seriously, you find me a player that makes traffic "layups" better than him. Did he make any shot that wasn't a twisting, athletic, contested layup of some fashion? Amazing. Quis has flaws, he's not a PG answer for example, but damn do I like to see him 6 feet from the rim with 3 guys around him. That's money.
    Not to discredit your one positive, though that's exactly what I think I will do, I believe Marquis Daniels was the one who completely missed the rim on a shot from 6 feet. I'm surprised he only got 3 turnovers, because he played terribly last night. He can't run an offense at all, and he doesn't look to past as much as he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    JO had the worst +/- stat yesterday!
    JO was certainly mediocre, primarily on offense. But clearly he's not the only problem. The only issue I'd have with JO right now is bang for buck. He's giving you $8-10m of PF for 19m bucks. But unfortunately there really aren't any good deals on the team, save perhaps Dunleavy, sorta Rush, and sorta Danny, and those 2 are on very low deals right now.

In other words, just a total lack of talent as I mentioned at the start. Taking JO out of the mix could help, maybe, but it's a far cry from solving the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Not to discredit your one positive, though that's exactly what I think I will do, I believe Marquis Daniels was the one who completely missed the rim on a shot from 6 feet. I'm surprised he only got 3 turnovers, because he played terribly last night. He can't run an offense at all, and he doesn't look to past as much as he should.
    As I said, he's not PG, but he had at least 3 extremely contested makes in the 4th. So strong that you just want to see him drive every time. Add to that the passing issue you mention and it's only moreso.

In that tit for tat run in the 4th he was about the only guy showing a solid ability to score, which is exactly why they were unable to tie it up. Dun, Danny, TD, JO...you couldn't get anything from them. Just look at the brutal stretch from 6 min to 3 min left in the 4th in the play by play.

He went 3 of 3 in that quarter. The miss you mention was in the 2nd and it was his only other FGA in the paint. I'll take 3 of 4 and have him pass up the jumpers and 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Did I mention Diener stinks? I know people like that he's "feisty", but it's small college going for the #3 seed upset in the tourney feisty, ie not applicable to the NBA (certainly far less than Saras was).

Sure he made a lot of mistakes and missed a lot of shots (but those two things are normal for a player who never plays, especially a young player who has very little experience to begin with) however, I thought he made a several nice hustle plays and made a number of really nice passes. I still see something in him that is positive. (just wish we could Diener into Owens body - then we would have a real backup point guard. Because I like Owens size and defense, but I like Diener's passing ability and I know he can shoot the ball if he played enough

I think Owens is a solid passer and he's getting better at 3-pt shooting, I think with time he'll be quite the serviceable backup PG

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    I think Owens is a solid passer and he's getting better at 3-pt shooting, I think with time he'll be quite the serviceable backup PG
    Owens had 2 assists in 30 minutes while Diener had 4 in 10 minutes.

Can we rent the machine from The Fly and combine the two?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Owens had 2 assists in 30 minutes while Diener had 4 in 10 minutes.

Can we rent the machine from The Fly and combine the two?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

***** CAUTION SPECULATIVE TRADE CONTENT*****

(sorry can't find the random trade thread)

Eddy Curry, Malik Rose, and Fred Jones for JO

this worked even with Curry having a trade kicker.

(Rose 1 yr remaining and FJ is in his last year)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

well, i'm serious about trading jo...i'd even go as far as trading jo for hughes, snow and 2 unprotected 1sts...