Thread: Windows Movie Maker question

Hybrid View

Post Windows Movie Maker question

My wife wants to make a DVD for her sister, for her birthday, of a photo slideshow with music. I don't have Windows Vista, but a friend said I could make the DVD on Vista. I have Windows XP.

So, my question is...

Can I make a DVD, which is playable on a home DVD player (such as hooked up to your TV) on XP Movie Maker, or can I do it with Windows Vista Movie Maker, or neither?

The key is that I want to make a DVD that plays just like one you buy at Blockbuster. I made a DVD like my wife wants to make, for my parents 5-6 years ago, but I had a special program for it. If I can do it with Vista or XP Movie Maker, like would be so much easier.

So, any of you PC video dabblers have an answer for me?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Windows Movie Maker question

Windows movie maker is designed for that, supposedly. I have XP also.

Everytime I tried to build the movie by dragging and dropping clips into the MovieMaker GUI, the program crashed, however. Never even got close to the DVD burning stage.

Looking at reviews of the program at download.com, I saw that the crashing seems to be it's most notable feature.

I'm still looking for something else...but it looks like anything worth a darn is going to cost money.

Would be glad to hear otherwise from someone on PD that knows a good program.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Look for Movie Edit Pro by Magix. It should be available at Frye's (among other places). It's usually on sale and if you get really lucky they'll be running a rebate.

I think I got mine for like 20.00 on sale. A friend got his free (after rebate) due to his lucky timing.

It's powerful and will do exactly what you want. Don't let the low price fool you. One thing about it, the more you use it, the more you learn new things it can do that you wouldn't think would be in such an inexpensive product. But even without digging out those gems, just getting some pics (with Ken Burns' zooms and pans even), along with crossfades and other transitions is awfully easy (plus importing a soundtrack is easy too). You can also bring videos into it (if you have some you'd like to integrate (obviously they need to be on digital media already or you need a way to get them there so the program can read them (IOW: You can't just get a VCR tape out and expect it magically get on your hard drive)).

As for Windows Movie Maker (XP version)- This is as easy to use as that and WAY more powerful. And without the lockups and crashing that WMM always put me thru. With any of these programs it is a good idea to save your work as you go along, but with WMM you need to save it about every time you add a new photo!!

I was thinking WMM would NOT burn directly to DVD and needed another program to do that... but it's been a while since I messed with it. It was easy to use for basic stuff, but sucked because of the crashing. I haven't used the Vista version. I punted on Vista and went back to XP Pro.

-Bball
    Last edited by Bball; 01-06-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking WMM would NOT burn directly to DVD and needed another program to do that... -Bball
    You may well be right there BBall, because I never managed to get a movie built, so the question never came up. Do you know if Movie Edit Pro works w/ AVIs? Or do you have to convert the format?

I've got one of those Flip video cameras (Christmas!) and AVI is the format it kicks out.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    You may well be right there BBall, because I never managed to get a movie built, so the question never came up. Do you know if Movie Edit Pro works w/ AVIs? Or do you have to convert the format?

I've got one of those Flip video cameras (Christmas!) and AVI is the format it kicks out.
    Yes, Move Edit Pro works with AVI's. It even works with VOB's directly off a DVD.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I was thinking WMM would NOT burn directly to DVD and needed another program to do that... but it's been a while since I messed with it. It was easy to use for basic stuff, but sucked because of the crashing. I haven't used the Vista version. I punted on Vista and went back to XP Pro.

-Bball
    I was afraid of that. Funny thing about the crashing. I loaded it for the very first time today and after 5 minutes...it froze up. Unbelievable. Sounds like I'm heading to Fryes.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

WMM is absolutely terrible. Unless your time is worth like $2 per hour, avoid it like the plague.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

I do a little DVD work on the side of my usual job and in the past I have been given projects other people have created in WMM for burning. Since the type of file WMM projects are never read by other DVD & video editing software I use I have found it easier to burn them in WMM. I have never (in the few times I have used WMM) had a problem or found that WMM crashed.

You should be able to create what you want with WMM

Alternatively, if you have purchased a video camera or camcorder you probably recieved some software with it that will also let you make a DVD. Sorry if this next comment sounds stupid but you will need a DVD burner to create a DVD disc. If you don't have that you can burn onto a CD as a VCD format. Most DVD players will play that file type
    Last edited by Haggard; 01-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Thanks for the help guys. I just bought Movie Edit Pro 12. Looks like an unbelievable program. No rebates or sale price, but, ya know, I don't mind. This looks like a great investment. Can't wait to get started.