Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: Great, I just lost my job

  1. #26
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,662

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I do hope you feel better...but I'm a Packers fan.

    Don't hate.
    The Packers are my second-favorite team, so I would be ecstatic to see a Colts/Pack SB.

  2. #27
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,850
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Packers are my second-favorite team, so I would be ecstatic to see a Colts/Pack SB.
    Yep, that'd be cool.

    When I was growing up in Indiana, the Colts were in Baltimore. Everyone seemed to either be a Packers fan, or a Bears fan, or STL Cardinals (where they belong!)...later Cincy picked up a few, and Dallas, because they had so much TV coverage.

    Once I became a Pack fan, I was stuck (gladly). I do go with the Colts in the AFC.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  3. #28
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't this belong on the main board?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Maybe it's just the state of mind I'm in right now, but I don't get it.
    Not your fault, Shade, it's just not funny. And that, really, is the lesson you can take away from this thread.

    Things might be looking down now, buddy, but just always remember that at least you are not LoneGranger. So no matter what you're going through, it could be worse.

    Sorry to hear your place got shut down, and good luck finding a new gig at the cracker factory.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  4. #29
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,328
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Do not let THEM smell blood. If they do,they will beat you down. That is my personal #1 axiom from my divorce many years ago. Joblessness...divorce it doesn't matter...the same they are out to get you.

    Funny sidenote....

    Many....no, MANY years ago, a buddy of mine and I used to dress up and grab clipboards. We'd walk into some area of the plant where we weren't known and then start measuring things and making notes. We always ended by shaking our heads, conferring over the clipboards, and silently/solemnly walking away.

    We were janitors.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 01-06-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  5. #30
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Not to be mean, but there are plenty of jobs out there, you just have to look.

    Any fast food restaurant, grocery store, etc.

    Good luck. Keep your head up. Everything will turn out alright.

  6. #31
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Bummer, and good luck.

    The saying is that when God closes one door, he opens another.

    Truth is, the other door is open all the time.

    So, now is as good as time as any to figure out what you want to do, and start doing it (or at least working toward it).

    If the group of people you worked with were good, and the business was viable but just mismanaged, can the group of you put together a management team, find financing, and buy it?

    I know that sounds fairly ambitious, but stranger and more outlandish things have happened.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  7. #32
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Shade, I'm very sorry to hear about this, I know you liked your job and I know you needed this job.

    If I can help in anyway, I will. I don't know anyone in the resturant industry though.

  8. #33
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Drag. Hey shade, you just need a job "for now" so don't sweat it too much. The next one is right around the corner and if worse comes to worse you can get additional student loans. Yeah yeah, I know nobody wants to borrow money but I'd rather have loans and a degree than neither.

    In your last semester, we should talk about getting your portfolio ready and work on finding you an internship.

    You'll do fine.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #34
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,662

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drag. Hey shade, you just need a job "for now" so don't sweat it too much. The next one is right around the corner and if worse comes to worse you can get additional student loans. Yeah yeah, I know nobody wants to borrow money but I'd rather have loans and a degree than neither.

    In your last semester, we should talk about getting your portfolio ready and work on finding you an internship.

    You'll do fine.
    Yeah, I know any jobs I get are just "for now," and this is yet another reminder of why I went back to school in the first place. But I really liked it there, and really didn't want to spend the beginning of a new semester looking for and getting acclimated to a new job. Plus, the fact I'm in school certainly won't work in my favor while I'm trying to find a new job because it will limit my hours a bit, which I'm sure will make potential employers hesitate.

    I'm trying to see if there are any paid internships out there. That would be perfect considering my current situation, even though I'm sure the pay wouldn't be too hot. It's not like I was making a Fortune at the MM ($7.50/hr.). But so far, all the internships in my field are non-paying, and I just need the money too much right now.

    I plan on spending the summer putting together my portfolio, and am even trying to plan a big film project with some friends that I can use as a centerpiece, showcasing all the skills I've learned so far. It's a big reason I chose to have my graduation in December rather than May.

  10. #35
    Member Raoul Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philawarepraguacago
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I know any jobs I get are just "for now," and this is yet another reminder of why I went back to school in the first place. But I really liked it there, and really didn't want to spend the beginning of a new semester looking for and getting acclimated to a new job. Plus, the fact I'm in school certainly won't work in my favor while I'm trying to find a new job because it will limit my hours a bit, which I'm sure will make potential employers hesitate.

    I'm trying to see if there are any paid internships out there. That would be perfect considering my current situation, even though I'm sure the pay wouldn't be too hot. It's not like I was making a Fortune at the MM ($7.50/hr.). But so far, all the internships in my field are non-paying, and I just need the money too much right now.

    I plan on spending the summer putting together my portfolio, and am even trying to plan a big film project with some friends that I can use as a centerpiece, showcasing all the skills I've learned so far. It's a big reason I chose to have my graduation in December rather than May.
    I take it you're in Informatics if its New Media? If you're decent with web design you should be able to find some work. Have you had any kind of experience. I think you are looking in the wrong places for internships. I'm in Informatics (just regular Informatics in Bloomington) and I've had some bad ***, pretty high paying ($15/hr) internships.

  11. #36
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,662

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by PF Chang View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you're in Informatics if its New Media? If you're decent with web design you should be able to find some work. Have you had any kind of experience. I think you are looking in the wrong places for internships. I'm in Informatics (just regular Informatics in Bloomington) and I've had some bad ***, pretty high paying ($15/hr) internships.
    Yeah, I'm in Informatics at IUPUI. I have some basic web experience. I've worked with HTML, XHTML, and CSS, and some basic form validation. But I don't know that I feel comfortable (yet) with trying my skills on a real-world client.

  12. #37
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,662

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but I have a question.

    I just went to the Music Mill website to see if there was any announcement about the restaurant closing, and found this:

    Music Mill Restaurant
    Temporarily Closed

    The Music Mill Restaurant will be
    temporarily closed while we renovate.
    You can still purchase tickets at the
    box office located here at the Music
    Mill. Box office hours are 11:00am -
    7:00pm Monday through Saturday.

    So, my question is, if this is in fact temporary, can those of us who were laid off draw unemployment off of them if they decide to reopen the restaurant but not give us our jobs back? Even if they keep the restaurant closed, can we draw unemployment due to the fact that the venue is still open?

    Also, is there any way to realistically salvage the week's vacation I was supposed to get because I had been there over a year (it's in the employee handbook)?

    I'm totally willing to wait them out if my job is waiting for me after "renovation" is complete. I really liked my job and I'm willing to fight for it if I have to.


  13. #38
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but I have a question.

    I just went to the Music Mill website to see if there was any announcement about the restaurant closing, and found this:

    Music Mill Restaurant
    Temporarily Closed

    The Music Mill Restaurant will be
    temporarily closed while we renovate.
    You can still purchase tickets at the
    box office located here at the Music
    Mill. Box office hours are 11:00am -
    7:00pm Monday through Saturday.

    So, my question is, if this is in fact temporary, can those of us who were laid off draw unemployment off of them if they decide to reopen the restaurant but not give us our jobs back? Even if they keep the restaurant closed, can we draw unemployment due to the fact that the venue is still open?

    Also, is there any way to realistically salvage the week's vacation I was supposed to get because I had been there over a year (it's in the employee handbook)?

    I'm totally willing to wait them out if my job is waiting for me after "renovation" is complete. I really liked my job and I'm willing to fight for it if I have to.



    You should file for unemployment, I don't have the website here at work. But you should be able to file and collect because you did not quit and were not fired. There is a 4 week (I think waiting period) and your benefits are dependent upon past earnings. But it is easy to file and collect online. - Look under Indiana unemployment insurance.

    Not sure about the week's vacation. If I were you I would call one of the managers and see what they say. Have there been any offers of severance packages. The managers i would think have been offered something. I would look into it.

    I assume the Music Mill was not owned by some larger corporation or entity, but if they are you should be trying to find our who actually owns it.

    I wouldn't get your hopes up about the place re-opening a lot of places claim to be closed for renovation and never re-open.

  14. #39
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

    Sorry to hear about your job loss Shade. Travmil and i went through the same thing when we worked at Columbia House. We knew it was coming, and one day it did. We sat around while the head hunter called us in one at a time and let us go. My wife, we were just dating at the time, kept working up until they called her in. The rest of us sat and waited. We ended up getting married and living with her parents for a year while she went to school and I substitute taught.

    I would encourage you to take all the positives you can from the experience and move forward. It sounds like you have a great game plan for the future, so don't let this bump in the road get you down too much. Remember, you always have your buddies here to keep you company.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 01:50 AM
  2. Post-Game: Great Win for Minnesota
    By LoneGranger33 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
  3. Post Game Thread #9 - Lost but with positives
    By bellisimo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •