Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great, I just lost my job

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unhappy Great, I just lost my job

The restaurant in the Music Mill (where I work(ed)) just closed today.

I can't say I'm totally surprised. Some of us had been speculating about it for a bit because of weird things going on (people coming in and measuring stuff, etc.).

I'm pissed because (A) I really liked my job, and (B) the owners could have done a lot more to improve business, but just didn't seem to give a damn.

Looking for a new job when a new semester is just starting and right after losing a substantial amount of financial aid for school is just really hard to take right now.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Great, I just lost my job

What's your major, Shade? Not that I have any connections in Indy anymore, but someone here might. Would be good info to get out there.

And uh, bummer, as we used to say.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

We will start a fund if necessary.

BTW, I will also be unemployed by the end of this semester, my last in college.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's your major, Shade? Not that I have any connections in Indy anymore, but someone here might. Would be good info to get out there.

And uh, bummer, as we used to say.
    I'm on the verge of getting my BD in New Media. I'll likely be looking for something in the realm of film or web design when I finish in December.

I'm really upset because I really, really liked my job, which had a lot to do with the people I worked with. It's almost like losing friends/family. And I absolutely dread starting a new job from scratch.

Sad as it may sound, my job was probably the best thing I had going in my life right now. Now it's gone, and all that's left is...crap, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    We will start a fund if necessary.

BTW, I will also be unemployed by the end of this semester, my last in college.
    I'm living with my parents right now, but I've been trying pretty hard to save as much money as I can to get out. But every time I save a little, something comes up; like losing all of my state funding for school, and then losing my job. And I still have two more semesters of school to go.

I seriously just feel like I'm going to lose no matter what I try to do. It's really depressing.

Mood

Well, I can't say much that won't seem like a bunch of cliches, BUT...three years ago I was in a job that just made me cringe whenever I realized it was almost time to go to work: doing phone tech support for Cox cable, about 50 calls a night, one after the other from enraged people whose internet or tv were out and they "pay GOOD MONEY FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE!!!" Etc, etc.
    50 calls a night. Jesus God.

Then out of the blue I got a call for an interview for my current job. Best darn job I ever had. But if you'd asked me about the future some time during my phone tech support gig, I'd have probably said there wasn't one. You just never know what's around the corner.

But one thing that is in your control is your steely determination, homes. (That even sounds good, right?) No defeat, no surrender. No ******. As Hunter Thompson said: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, going for your degree. So keep your head in the game. Coach may call you off the bench anytime.

Well, I can't say much that won't seem like a bunch of cliches, BUT...three years ago I was in a job that just made me cringe whenever I realized it was almost time to go to work: doing phone tech support for Cox cable, about 50 calls a night, one after the other from enraged people whose internet or tv were out and they "pay GOOD MONEY FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE!!!" Etc, etc.
    50 calls a night. Jesus God.

Then out of the blue I got a call for an interview for my current job. Best darn job I ever had. But if you'd asked me about the future some time during my phone tech support gig, I'd have probably said there wasn't one. You just never know what's around the corner.

But one thing that is in your control is your steely determination, homes. (That even sounds good, right?) No defeat, no surrender. No ******. As Hunter Thompson said: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

It sounds like you're going in the right direction, going for your degree. So keep your head in the game. Coach may call you off the bench anytime.
    Very good advice. Most of the time, cliche's become cliche's because they are so true...

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, Shade. Hope something does open up for you...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I seriously just feel like I'm going to lose no matter what I try to do. It's really depressing.

Welcome to the club. Just remember that you are never allowed to catch up. Every windfall is followed by a surprise bill... or two... or three... or four... or sudden loss of job or contract.

But once you accept that, then you can just laugh when you get home from depositing that bonus/overtime check in the bank and then you open the mailbox and find a major tax bill, rising property taxes, etc... or the car breaks down in a major way on the way home from the bank!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Welcome to the club. Just remember that you are never allowed to catch up. Every windfall is followed by a surprise bill... or two... or three... or four... or sudden loss of job or contract.

But once you accept that, then you can just laugh when you get home from depositing that bonus/overtime check in the bank and then you open the mailbox and find a major tax bill, rising property taxes, etc... or the car breaks down in a major way on the way home from the bank!
    Thanks for the uplifting words!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

I haven't worked a real job since last August.... yee haaaaa! Don't think I'll be going back to "work" till it warms up next spring at the earliest... hopefully I can manage to hustle money well enough to not go back to work at all... I really really really hate working.. I tried it, and it sucks.

Mood

That's the ticket! Shade could become a fisherman, pulling 80-lb salmon out of Eagle Creek.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    I haven't worked a real job since last August.... yee haaaaa! Don't think I'll be going back to "work" till it warms up next spring at the earliest... hopefully I can manage to hustle money well enough to not go back to work at all... I really really really hate working.. I tried it, and it sucks.
    I hate work and I've never had a job!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I can't say I'm totally surprised. Some of us had been speculating about it for a bit because of weird things going on (people coming in and measuring stuff, etc.).
    Very nice, they tell you guys at the last minute? If that's the case and there are more of those resteraunts around I'd like to know so I don't go there anymore. Good luck finding a new job, they're out there.

Sorry to hear that, Shade.

True words. Keep your head up, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    Very nice, they tell you guys at the last minute? If that's the case and there are more of those resteraunts around I'd like to know so I don't go there anymore. Good luck finding a new job, they're out there.
    Of course! Do they ever NOT tell everyone at the last possible minute?

But, like I said, the writing was on the wall. The only real question was when the hammer would drop. I was hoping I would have until at least the summer so that I could focus exclusively on school instead of also having to start a new job from scratch. No such luck.

In fact, we had a staff meeting scheduled for this Thursday, which had me worried, because we haven't had one of those in a long time, and with all the other weirdness going on (people coming in and measuring parts of the restaurant, constant meetings of random people with the owners), I was thinking that this exact thing might happen. At least they just had the store manager call everyone instead and saved me the time and gas to drive all the way up there just to effectively be fired.

I didn't sleep hardly at all last night. This really was more than just a job to me, and it hurts to lose it, because I know the odds of seeing any of the people I used to talk with and work with almost every day are very slim. And our current staff was one of, if not the, favorite staffs I've ever worked with. And I liked the atmosphere, too. I actually felt comfortable when I went into work, which is rare.

But, hey, stuff like this is why I decided to go back to school in the first place.

I really have no idea what I'm going to do now. Living out in the middle of nowhere (Pendleton) really doesn't help my job prospects much, either.

Ugh.

Doesn't this belong on the main board?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Doesn't this belong on the main board?

Maybe it's just the state of mind I'm in right now, but I don't get it.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

That's the ticket! Shade could become a fisherman, pulling 80-lb salmon out of Eagle Creek.

Don't let everything happenning around you get you down, Shade. Live has it's twists but, yeah, it's a cliche, perseverance mostly does pay off .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sad as it may sound, my job was probably the best thing I had going in my life right now. Now it's gone, and all that's left is...crap, pretty much.

Look at the bright side. Now you can become a professional mtg player!

Man, I feel for you. Been there.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I hate to hear it, Shade. However, going by what I know of you and what the others are encouraging, you're pretty obviously to me a survivor who will land on his feet somewhere in the near future. Keep giving fate the finger until it's on your side!

Mood

One thing I thought of, Shade, was that you might try to get with some of the other folks losing their jobs there to see if they've got any lines on restaurant gigs opening up. Networking, eh? They'll all have their feelers out, too, and who knows, best case could be you find a job where some of those familiar faces are also getting picked up.

On LG33's main board remark, I think he was just getting at the 'feel like we'll lose no matter what we do' thing, and applying it to the Pacers, BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A FUNNY GUY.

Anyway, hang in there. Who knows? We may cream the Lakers tonight, and absolutely everybody will feel better. (Or we can all be miserable together, as the case may be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Look at the bright side. Now you can become a professional mtg player!

Man, I feel for you. Been there.
    Well, as long as I can win with all-common decks, since I can no longer afford cards...

I guess I should have been suspicious that I kept getting so many Friday nights off. Well, now I have them ALL off!

Ugh, this just really sucks. I really, REALLY liked my job. Damn idiot owners who don't know how to properly run a damn business...

One thing I thought of, Shade, was that you might try to get with some of the other folks losing their jobs there to see if they've got any lines on restaurant gigs opening up. Networking, eh? They'll all have their feelers out, too, and who knows, best case could be you find a job where some of those familiar faces are also getting picked up.

On LG33's main board remark, I think he was just getting at the 'feel like we'll lose no matter what we do' thing, and applying it to the Pacers, BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A FUNNY GUY.

Anyway, hang in there. Who knows? We may cream the Lakers tonight, and absolutely everybody will feel better. (Or we can all be miserable together, as the case may be.)
    That's actually a great idea. I was just thinking about the same thing a little while ago. In fact, the store owner who called me with the bad news said that he would let me know if anything came up in his network, so that's always good.

I think my main problem is that my job was kind of my "get away place," weird as that is. Otherwise, I'm currently living with my parents again (which is pretty rough sometimes), and have full-time school (which I'm pretty much burned out on; not the classes, just the overall school environment). I don't really have much else going on socially because I live so far away from all my friends and I'm too poor to dive out to visit them/do anything.

The Colts winning another Super Bowl would make me feel a LITTLE better... *hint, hint*

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I hate to hear it, Shade. However, going by what I know of you and what the others are encouraging, you're pretty obviously to me a survivor who will land on his feet somewhere in the near future. Keep giving fate the finger until it's on your side!
    Does that work? Because if it does, I'm going to start flipping off EVERYONE until everyone is on my side!

Mood

The Colts winning another Super Bowl would make me feel a LITTLE better... *hint, hint*
    Well, I do hope you feel better...but I'm a Packers fan.

Don't hate.