View Poll Results: Who would you rather the Colts play?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • San Diego

32 88.89%
  • Jacksonville

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jags or Chargers?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question Jags or Chargers?

Who do you want to play?

If you've been paying attention, you already know my answer...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jags or Chargers?

Chargers. I don't think motivation will be a problem for our guys, but it will be easier to get up for San Diego then for the Jags.

1.) Play a team that hates your guts and really wants to beat you that you would have to beat for a 3rd time in one season.

2.) Play a team that beat you in a embarrasing loss where we should have won dispite an unbelievable amount of injuries.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

See, this is tough, both will be formidable opponents, we've struggled with San Diego at times, but this year, even after Peyton throwing 6 INT's and giving up like what was it? 2 or 3 punt returns/kick returns? We somehow manage to keep the game close, and end up giving our self a chance to win and we blow it.

Then you have the Jaguars, a very hot team along with the Chargers, who we've beaten solidly and in a close game at home this year, our fellow division rivals would love nothing more than to beat us.

I think I would take San Diego at home, Rivers has been shaky at times this year and it will be tough on him in his 2nd postseason game of his career(I think?) and we could probably get to him with that roaring home crowd.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Our defense was terrific against them during that loss. They'll have the benefit of playing at home this time. And also, even if our offense isn't playing that great, our defense will keep us in it, long enough for our offense to start clicking.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

streets ahead

playing a team like jax three times a year is tough regardless of how little they might scare you. we were a blown field goal (well, er, two) and a blown call from beating the chargers with 6INTs and playing them with a junior varsity squad. and other than the blown special teams plays, the chargers offense did little against us. i'd prefer san diego.

snip
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-06-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: duplicate post

SD has better & smarter players who are less likely to self-destruct.

It also seemed Ward, Miller, and Holmes were always open, but Pittsburgh didn't get good enough O-line play.

Jones-Drew is a tough cover, but on the other side of the ball, their secondary can be picked apart.

I think Jax is less likely to BEAT a team than is SD, but admittedly more likely to BEAT A TEAM UP.

Still, I'd rather have a easier win and accept the injury risk.

Bring on the Jags.

This one is easy. Rivers has never shown himself good in pressure situations and their defense this year isn't close to Jacksonville's.

In fact, I'm mentally preparing my "I told you so" post in case Tenn beats SD. I don't think they will but I think they have a much better shot than Cleveland would have. Tenn is tough against the run and can put a lot of pressure on Rivers, who has shown a tendency to panic in those situations. The Colts may regret not going all out to beat the Titans last week.

I can't see any way The Colts want to play the Jags a 3rd time over SD - plus I gotta think they want the Jags beating up NE - and the Jags are also a team with a chance to win up there, particularly if the weather's bad.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This one is easy. Rivers has never shown himself good in pressure situations and their defense this year isn't close to Jacksonville's.

In fact, I'm mentally preparing my "I told you so" post in case Tenn beats SD. I don't think they will but I think they have a much better shot than Cleveland would have. Tenn is tough against the run and can put a lot of pressure on Rivers, who has shown a tendency to panic in those situations. The Colts may regret not going all out to beat the Titans last week.

I can't see any way The Colts want to play the Jags a 3rd time over SD - plus I gotta think they want the Jags beating up NE - and the Jags are also a team with a chance to win up there, particularly if the weather's bad.
    This is pretty much my thinking, exactly. Except I think the Titans WILL beat SD.

Man, I lose my financial aid, lose my job, and now I'm thinking exactly like a Knicks fan. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

If Tennessee beats the Chargers it's going to be because VY ran wild. They have some key injuries so I don't see that happening. I didn't want Jax because getting beat up isn't my idea of getting ready for the AFCCG. I'm not sure the Jags would win in NE but they are going to put the hurt on the Pats.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    If Tennessee beats the Chargers it's going to be because VY ran wild. They have some key injuries so I don't see that happening. I didn't want Jax because getting beat up isn't my idea of getting ready for the AFCCG. I'm not sure the Jags would win in NE but they are going to put the hurt on the Pats.
    I think if TN beats SD it's because they stack the line against LT and force Rivers to beat them, and he doesn't. I can see them winning a 13-10 game where their only TD is either by, or directly because of, the D.

IMO Jacksonville has the best chance of any playoff team of beating NE if it's a bad weather game (Indy will have a good shot too). If it's good weather the only team I think with a shot is Indy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'd rather play Jax we've beat them twice and we'll be them again. Plus, with the ESPN hype I'll get a VERY good Vegas line

OK, after seeing LT bottled up, Gates hurt, and Rivers trying to be Manning/Brady, I'd have to reverse my opinion and say Jacksonville.

The Jags are are the ony one of the 4 AFC teams playing this weekend that is better than the 4 NFC teams.

Maybe parity is returning, except at the very top.

I voted after SD won, but my answer would've been the same. We lost by 2 to them with all the fluke mistakes that happened, those won't happen again.

Jags have all the momentum and playing them a third time is not ideal.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton needs to take his time with the passing game this time around, we can not afford 6 INTs...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I also voted after SD won their game, but my answer also would've been the same before as it is now.

I think it is a no-brainer that you want to avenge a BS loss to SD. After we made so many mistakes and Peyton has the worst game of his career, it STILL takes a blown chippie by the most clutch kicker in NFL history to lose......AT SAN DIEGO.

I'm not trying to overlook the Bolts and take it for granted that we will win. I WANT to play them so we have the opportunity to show them that we are the superior team. We beat Jax twice already; we've got nothing to prove to them. We owe SD, and that is how I would approach the game.

I know Dungy will be preaching business-as-usual, let's just play our game regardless of the opponent, but I guarantee the players want some payback. They at least want to redeem themselves for their horrible performance. I hope Manning comes out gunning and throws for 500 yards!

Also, I don't care who the Patriots play, I don't want them to be banged up and I don't want them to lose. Until the AFC Champ. game. I want the best that they've got, and I hope we get the opportunity to beat a healthy, 17-0, record-setting, most-prolific-team-ever, MVP-having Patriots team at Foxboro.

If things happen to play out like I want them to, and we make it to the Super Bowl again, I also relish the opportunity to play a quality opponent in a non-rain game. IMO, the season the Bears had this year makes me feel less good about SB XLI. I know it shouldn't, but a little splinter in the back of my mind lets it tarnish it for me just a bit. I want a no-excuses, recognized-across-the-board run to another Super Bowl title. I want to hang a WORLD CHAMPIONS banner the first year Lucas Oil Stadium is open.

That's what I want.

Oh, and we need to find a good name for that stadium. It will be way too cool of a place to keep calling Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not calling it the Oil Can either....How about "Tha Luke"?

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    I also voted after SD won their game, but my answer also would've been the same before as it is now.

I think it is a no-brainer that you want to avenge a BS loss to SD. After we made so many mistakes and Peyton has the worst game of his career, it STILL takes a blown chippie by the most clutch kicker in NFL history to lose......AT SAN DIEGO.

I'm not trying to overlook the Bolts and take it for granted that we will win. I WANT to play them so we have the opportunity to show them that we are the superior team. We beat Jax twice already; we've got nothing to prove to them. We owe SD, and that is how I would approach the game.

I know Dungy will be preaching business-as-usual, let's just play our game regardless of the opponent, but I guarantee the players want some payback. They at least want to redeem themselves for their horrible performance. I hope Manning comes out gunning and throws for 500 yards!

Also, I don't care who the Patriots play, I don't want them to be banged up and I don't want them to lose. Until the AFC Champ. game. I want the best that they've got, and I hope we get the opportunity to beat a healthy, 17-0, record-setting, most-prolific-team-ever, MVP-having Patriots team at Foxboro.

If things happen to play out like I want them to, and we make it to the Super Bowl again, I also relish the opportunity to play a quality opponent in a non-rain game. IMO, the season the Bears had this year makes me feel less good about SB XLI. I know it shouldn't, but a little splinter in the back of my mind lets it tarnish it for me just a bit. I want a no-excuses, recognized-across-the-board run to another Super Bowl title. I want to hang a WORLD CHAMPIONS banner the first year Lucas Oil Stadium is open.

That's what I want.

Oh, and we need to find a good name for that stadium. It will be way too cool of a place to keep calling Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not calling it the Oil Can either....How about "Tha Luke"?
    Last years we played a tough Baltimore team on the road, biggest AFCCG comeback against the Patriots at home and then beat the Bears in a rainy Dolphins stadium.

We earned that Super Bowl last year, especially with the quality opponents we faced. The Bears defense was pretty good, the Patriots were...the Patriots, Ravens were 13-3 with one of the best if not, the best defense in the league last year and then Kansas City was just the warm-up where Larry Johnson was supposed to run for 53654376536538768475 yards and we didn't allow them a first down until the 3rd quarter.

Never feel less about a Super Bowl win.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 01-06-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Last years we played a tough Baltimore team on the road, biggest AFCCG comeback against the Patriots at home and then beat the Bears in a rainy Dolphins stadium.

We earned that Super Bowl last year, especially with the quality opponents we faced. The Bears defense was pretty good, the Patriots were...the Patriots, Ravens were 13-3 with one of the best if not, the best defense in the league last year and then Kansas City was just the warm-up where Larry Johnson was supposed to run for 53654376536538768475 yards and we didn't allow them a first down until the 3rd quarter.

Never feel less about a Super Bowl win.
    I wrote that I know I shouldn't...

Thing is, a good amount of SB losers tank the next year. You'd have a lot of fans feeling this way if people held to this.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Thing is, a good amount of SB losers tank the next year. You'd have a lot of fans feeling this way if people held to this.
    Maybe you do have a lot of fans feel this way.....

I'll try to put the issue to rest by stating that I am a Colts fan first and foremost and that I'm very proud of them for winning the Super Bowl. They went on an incredible run in the playoffs last year and earned everything they got. The defense stepping up with Sanders' return got it done for them and when they had finally won the Super Bowl it was the proudest moment of my Colt fan life.

I wasn't making a statement as though I was a fan of another team who was trying to belittle the Colts fantastic season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't see this until after the Chargers won but I voted anyway and would have voted for them even before. I'd rather play the Chargers, simply because I want to see New England have to play the Jags. Even in New England, Jax will give them a good game. They are good enough to beat the Pats, but I don't think they will. I do think they will give them all they can handle, especially if the weather is bad. Maybe we can get lucky and win our game and also have Jax beat them up just enough to make them more vulnerable.

Now with the Chargers, you have a team that the Colts will want to beat badly to prove that the loss to them was a fluke. I think the chargers are hot, but I don't think they are hot enough to beat the Colts in the dome. Plus, the Chargers are still in the process of climbing their mountain, and I don't think they get to the top this year. Maybe they can beat the Colts, but there's no way they are going through New Engalnd too to get to the Superbowl. One of those two teams will beat them.

Maybe you do have a lot of fans feel this way.....

I'll try to put the issue to rest by stating that I am a Colts fan first and foremost and that I'm very proud of them for winning the Super Bowl. They went on an incredible run in the playoffs last year and earned everything they got. The defense stepping up with Sanders' return got it done for them and when they had finally won the Super Bowl it was the proudest moment of my Colt fan life.

I wasn't making a statement as though I was a fan of another team who was trying to belittle the Colts fantastic season.
    I know. I think the same thing, sometimes. Actually the Patriots are the only team we beat that is even decent this year. But you just gotta remember that they were all pretty great teams last year (sans KC), and that last year was actually the first time a team beat the top 3 defenses to win the SB.

-----

We just gotta hope for bad weather in the Jax/NE game. I'd like to see another Colts/Pats matchup, but I'd like tix to another AFCCG even more. I want one last championship game at the dome!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I know. I think the same thing, sometimes. Actually the Patriots are the only team we beat that is even decent this year. But you just gotta remember that they were all pretty great teams last year (sans KC), and that last year was actually the first time a team beat the top 3 defenses to win the SB.

-----

We just gotta hope for bad weather in the Jax/NE game. I'd like to see another Colts/Pats matchup, but I'd like tix to another AFCCG even more. I want one last championship game at the dome!
    A noble goal, for sure. But wouldn't you feel just a little bit better about beating NE at their house, and not after they got beaten down the previous week by Jax?

If the Colts don't have to go through NE and a healthy Patriots team to win the Super Bowl, I can already hear the excuses coming from other teams' fans who don't like the Colts....

"well, the Patriots got beat up and then there was bad weather, so...."

or if we don't have to face NE at all,

"Well, the Pats were the best team all year and then lost a fluke game, or the Colts wouldn't have won the SB."

I want to hear none of that, so bring on the hardest road we could possibly have to make it back to the Super Bowl. It will mean that much more anyway....

A noble goal, for sure. But wouldn't you feel just a little bit better about beating NE at their house, and not after they got beaten down the previous week by Jax?

If the Colts don't have to go through NE and a healthy Patriots team to win the Super Bowl, I can already hear the excuses coming from other teams' fans who don't like the Colts....

"well, the Patriots got beat up and then there was bad weather, so...."

or if we don't have to face NE at all,

"Well, the Pats were the best team all year and then lost a fluke game, or the Colts wouldn't have won the SB."

I want to hear none of that, so bring on the hardest road we could possibly have to make it back to the Super Bowl. It will mean that much more anyway....
    I don't think we need to worry about what the other fans think. What does that get them any way? When we lost the Chargers game during the season most Chargers fans weren't saying well Peyton threw 6 INT's, they are thinking what a nice win. The Chargers didn't get an asterisk by that win because of sloppy and un-characteristic Colts play.

Neither will we if we advance to play the Jaguars at home instead of having to play the Patriots.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Let them say what they want. If NE couldn't even show up that's not our fault.

That's like saying the Patriots should feel ashamed because they only beat the Colts to get to the Superbowl two different times. Or that all they did was beat the Panthers/Eagles. I mean after all, those Colts teams had no D and were just "chokers" lead by Peyton "can't win the big one" Manning. Let's dismiss their runs.