Page 54 of 82 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2040

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Banned

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

I could definitely see Kevin Love becoming another Troy Murphy.

Here's a thought for the Kevin Lovers -

Love took 82 three-point attempts this past season. Troy Murphy averaged 64 three-point attempts per season in his three year college career. If that doesn't send a shiver down your spine, you're more man than I.

In fact, their freshamn production is very similar across the board. Their size would be very similar as well, if Kevin Love weren't 30 pounds overweight. You have to question the guys dedication and work ethic with all those excess pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could definitely see Kevin Love becoming another Troy Murphy.

Here's a thought for the Kevin Lovers -
    Kevin Love's game and his physical build are nothing like Troy Murphy. The only thing he and Murphy have in common are that they're both white. They're totally different types of basketball players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Kevin Love's game and his physical build are nothing like Troy Murphy. The only thing he and Murphy have in common are that they're both white. They're totally different types of basketball players.
    Actually, they were very similar in college. Least we forget Troy Murphy didn't become the 3 point chucker until his 4th year in the NBA.

And of course their builds are different. One is 30 pounds overweight, the other is not. That'll do it.

You crack me up Kofi. Seriously, all Kevin Love has to do is lift his arms above his head and he is already a better defender than Troy.

You act like he is a bum and that he has no dedication to his craft. The mere fact that he is so polished offensively shoots your dedication argument down. ITs also not like he can't lose weight.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Actually, they were very similar in college. Least we forget Troy Murphy didn't become the 3 point chucker until his 4th year in the NBA.

And of course their builds are different. One is 30 pounds overweight, the other is not. That'll do it.
    One guy is actually a low post player. The other isn't, even after years of trying and putting on weight in the summer. Despite it all, Murphy still can't post up on a 6'5" guard.

One guy can hold his position down low, the other can't. Murphy simply lacks lower body strength and stamina.

One guys looks like he's going to be one of the best passing bigmen in the game. The other is a below average passer.

The reason Murphy became a 3 point chucker in the NBA is because the Warriors eventually figured out that he was never going to be a factor in the low post, no matter how much time he put in the weight room or how many protein shakes he consumed.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Those other Memphis players declaring are pretty dumb.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3363956

Banned

One guy is actually a low post player. The other isn't, even after years of trying and putting on weight in the summer. Despite it all, Murphy still can't post up on a 6'5" guard.

One guy can hold his position down low, the other can't. Murphy simply lacks lower body strength and stamina.

One guys looks like he's going to be one of the best passing bigmen in the game. The other is a below average passer.

The reason Murphy became a 3 point chucker in the NBA is because the Warriors eventually figured out that he was never going to be a factor in the low post, no matter how much time he put in the weight room or how many protein shakes he consumed.
    Who's to say the same wont happen with Kevin Love? He's a nice low-post player in college, but he's also above average size and strength for an NCAA big man. He can bully people around. That wont be the case in the NBA. Does he have the skills to overcome it? Maybe, maybe not. Considering I also don't like his defensive potential, he's not exactly at the top of my wish list.

Troy Murphy's 2001 scouting report sure does sound familiar....

Or how about this thread? Replace the name Troy Murphy with Kevin Love and it would be valid today.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Those other Memphis players declaring are pretty dumb.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3363956
    Thats why they didn't sign with an agent. Sort of a practice round for next years draft. Pretty smart actually.

Who's to say the same wont happen with Kevin Love? .
    Love physically has a very different build. He's able to hold position. He's got a strong lower body. Murphy has what a Warrior fan called a long time ago a "skinny-fat" body. He's 240+ Lbs, but just not that strong despite the fact.

And that's to say nothing about how much better a passer he is than Murphy.

I'm not saying Love is the next great thing or that the Pacers absolutely should draft the guy if he's available. If he and Westbrook were both there for the Pacers, Westbrook would probably be a better pick. I'm just saying that he's absolutely nothing like Troy Murphy. They're both tall and white and that's about the only things they have in common. Totally different types of games.

I know this because I actually watch games and how invididual players play in the context of those games. I don't just go by stat lines and reports from NBADraft.net, who once made Dale Ellis the NBA comparison for Monta Ellis.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/montaellis.asp

If you were around to watch Dale Ellis, you'd know that Dale and Monta weren't even close to being close to being the same type of player.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-23-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Hey Kofi. Are you still digging or should we wait alittle longer.

Banned

Love physically has a very different build. He's able to hold position. He's got a strong lower body. Murphy has what a Warrior fan called a long time ago a "skinny-fat" body. He's 240+ Lbs, but just not that strong despite the fact.

And that's to say nothing about how much better a passer he is than Murphy.

I'm not saying Love is the next great thing or that the Pacers absolutely should draft the guy if he's available. If he and Westbrook were both there for the Pacers, Westbrook would probably be a better pick. I'm just saying that he's absolutely nothing like Troy Murphy. They're both tall and white and that's about the only things they have in common. Totally different types of games.

I know this because I actually watch games and how invididual players play in the context of those games. I don't just go by stat lines and reports from NBADraft.net, who once made Dale Ellis the NBA comparison for Monta Ellis.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/montaellis.asp

If you were around to watch Dale Ellis, you'd know that Dale and Monta weren't even close to being close to being the same type of player.
    People make mistakes. Why should your opinion hold any more weight than those that dedicate most of their life to scouting?

Love is undersized and overweight. Not a recipe for success in the NBA, especially not for low-post players. He may be forced to rely on jump shots. Sounds familiar.
    Last edited by Kofi; 04-23-2008 at 07:09 PM.

People make mistakes. Why should your opinion hold any more weight than those that dedicate most of their life to scouting?

Love is undersized and overweight. Not a recipe for success in the NBA, especially not for low-post players.
    Most guys from NBAdraft don't scout for a living. They're fans like us. They do these reports for fun. The aren't pro scouts. Now if you still put all kinds of stock into their reporting, see which NBA player they compared Love to. Hint: it's not Troy Murphy.

Love is probably going to measure out at somewhere between 6'8" and 6'9" without shoes. If that happens, he' not undersized. That's right in the range of what guys like Amare, Drew Gooden, Al Horford and Brandan Wright measured out at. If Love measures out at under 6'8" without shoes, then I'd call him undersized, but I don't thik that's going to be the case.

Hmmm. Every heard of a bank shot or a hook shot to get an edge.

Look! Tim Freaking Duncan uses his jump shot to get by.

ITs funny becuase those scouts you just talked about have a good impression of Love that is why he is going early in the draft.

Banned

Most guys from NBAdraft don't scout for a living. They're fans like us. They do these reports for fun. The aren't pro scouts. Now if you still put all kinds of stock into their reporting, see which NBA player they compared Love to. Hint: it's not Troy Murphy.

Love is probably going to measure out at somewhere between 6'8" and 6'9" without shoes. If that happens, he' not undersized. That's right in the range of what guys like Amare, Drew Gooden, Al Horford and Brandan Wright measured out at. If Love measures out at under 6'8" without shoes, then I'd call him undersized, but I don't thik that's going to be the case.
    And who did those same scouts compare Troy Murphy to? Hint: it's not Stan Love.

I'll believe the height when the measurements are done in June. Until then, I'm predicting just over 6'7" barefoot, 6'8.5" in shoes.

And who did those same scouts compare Troy Murphy to? Hint: it's not Stan Love.

I'll believe the height when the measurements are done in June. Until then, I'm predicting just over 6'7" barefoot, 6'8.5" in shoes.
    So far, you and maybe somebody else in this thread have compared Love to Murphy and that's it. Neither NBADraft or Draftexpress or any other publication has made that comparison. That's all I'm saying, not that I would take any of NBADraft's player comparisons seriously, because a lot of them are just plain garbage.

And again, I'm not saying Love is some surefire prospect that is guaranteed to succeed in the NBA, just that his style of play and approach to the game are completely different from Murphy's. They play absolutely nothing alike.

Kyle Singler (Love's HS rival) measured out last year at 6'9" in shoes at last year's Nike hoop summitt according to draftexpress.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...2007-Analysis/

In all the pictures of them next to eachother, Love is taller than Singler, like this one for example

Now if that Singler measurement was accurate, that would probably make Love about 6'10" in shoes, which means somewhere close to 6'9" without shoes. Whatever Love's problems will be in the NBA, height won't be one of them.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-23-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Kofi-

Love is 19. That's 1-9, as in still a kid. Murphy will be 28 in a
    couple weeks. He's a fully mature adult.

I suppose it's possible that Love will always be 'fat'. But given
    that he's got another several years to physically mature, it's
    more likely that he won't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Kofi-

Love is 19. That's 1-9, as in still a kid. Murphy will be 28 in a
    couple weeks. He's a fully mature adult.

I suppose it's possible that Love will always be 'fat'. But given
    that he's got another several years to physically mature, it's
    more likely that he won't.
    Why make excuses for him? He shouldn't be "fat" in the first place. He needs to show some dedication and self-discipline.

Banned

So far, you and maybe somebody else in this thread have compared Love to Murphy and that's it. Neither NBADraft or Draftexpress or any other publication has made that comparison. That's all I'm saying, not that I would take any of NBADraft's player comparisons seriously, because a lot of them are just plain garbage.

And again, I'm not saying Love is some surefire prospect that is guaranteed to succeed in the NBA, just that his style of play and approach to the game are completely different from Murphy's. They play absolutely nothing alike.

Kyle Singler (Love's HS rival) measured out last year at 6'9" in shoes at last year's Nike hoop summitt according to draftexpress.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...2007-Analysis/

In all the pictures of them next to eachother, Love is taller than Singler, like this one for example

Now if that Singler measurement was accurate, that would probably make Love about 6'10" in shoes, which means somewhere close to 6'9" without shoes. Whatever Love's problems will be in the NBA, height won't be one of them.
    You're problem is you're comparing NCAA Love to NBA Murphy. You're forgetting that Murphy spent plenty of time in the paint at Notre Dame, and only became the soft jump shooter he is now once it became clear that he couldn't hack it down low in the NBA. I have a sneaking suspicion the same will be true of Kevin Love.

As for his size - I'll believe it when I see it. I actually watch the games, so pictures aren't enough evidence for me.

Kofi-

Ok, I hear ya. What was I thinking. Kids who are chunky at 19
    like say, a kid named Barkley never amount to anything in the NBA !

Byw, I'm not lobbying for Love. I don't really think he'd be all
    that good a fit in O'B's system. Just trying to provide a rational
    counter-balance to your commentary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Kofi-

Ok, I hear ya. What was I thinking. Kids who are chunky at 19
    like say, a kid named Barkley never amount to anything in the NBA !

Byw, I'm not lobbying for Love. I don't really think he'd be all
    that good a fit in O'B's system. Just trying to provide a rational
    counter-balance to your commentary.
    Barkley was a freak athlete, even with an excess 25 pounds. If Barkley had the self-discipline of Karl Malone, he might have a championship ring today. Think about how good Barkley could've been with a better body (no homo). How much quicker, stronger, and more agile he could've been with 25 less pounds of fat and say, 10 more pounds of muscle.

Mood

As for his size - I'll believe it when I see it. I actually watch the games, so pictures aren't enough evidence for me.

Banned

Going by pictures...

There's Derrick Rose, who measured in at 6'3.5" in shoes. Going by this photo, Gordon is a legit 6'5", thus I'd be all for taking him if he's available, or even moving up to land him.

jason thompson > kevin love ;-)

If Kevin Love is available I think they should take him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

One other thing it occurred to me that you guys could be missing. We're talking about 19 and 20 year olds, we know they will fill out but they could see grow taller too.