Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2040

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

I wanted to say one more thing about Koufos.

He is an absolute nightmare for defending centers. Unlike Jeff Foster if he sees an open shot he takes it and makes it alot. He would be perfect for JOB's system. Okur "like" is probably the best description I could give him as well. He has a really good turn around jumper for a big man and a good basketball IQ.

Draftnets description of him not being as much of a banger is true. But he is much more of a banger than JOrdan, McGee or Thabeet.

It will be interesting where he will be projected at. Probably mid 1st.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nbadraft.net currently has us slated to pick Bill Walker out of Kansas State in the second round. I don't think I'd be too terribly upset if this happened. I think getting more athletic at the guard positions would be a good idea.
    Last edited by DGPR; 04-22-2008 at 01:24 AM.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wanted to say one more thing about Koufos.

He is an absolute nightmare for defending centers. Unlike Jeff Foster if he sees an open shot he takes it and makes it alot. He would be perfect for JOB's system. Okur "like" is probably the best description I could give him as well. He has a really good turn around jumper for a big man and a good basketball IQ.

Draftnets description of him not being as much of a banger is true. But he is much more of a banger than JOrdan, McGee or Thabeet.

It will be interesting where he will be projected at. Probably mid 1st.
    And unlike Okur, he's Greek and not Turkish... Just kidding! Love ya Belli!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

CostaK should have stayed one more year. He only could have climbed the board.

I like him for the Pacers more than Love. Even though Love is a better talent imo. I really think we are drafting big. With that in mind there are more promising prospects in the front court, than in the back court with picks 11-20.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

With an extra pick in the mid first round we could really come out solid from this draft. We should really look into that.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man, I just didn't see it with Koufus at this point. Not impressed at all and I thought for sure he'd stay another year. To me he hasn't shown anything that he can do at the next level yet.

JMO.

Love CAN make those outlet passes in the NBA and since he already does all his work below the rim I don't see how that goes away at the next level. Far different that a guy like Hibbert who seemed to depend on his size to get it done at times.

If Bill Walker falls to the Pacers in the 2nd round I'll eat a hat. Not mine, I want to still wear those, but someone's hat.

I've been the one talking about his attitude (Jack Jr) and I do think it's a factor, but at some point the talent level overshadows behavior that might tone down with age/environment. I didn't love Jackson's game, but I certainly liked parts of it and clearly he is NBA capable for 30+ minutes. So I'd take that with a 2nd round pick or even a mid-20s.

Of course mid 20s and I'd still want Rush instead. I like Lee and Weaver too, but not more than Walker when it comes to pure talent if not maturity.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN's 2008 NBA Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I like Brook. Could see him being a really good pro.

But his college career does remind me quite a bit of Chris Mihm. I could see him turning out like that.
    Agreed.

Randolph - I just didn't get to see him play so I have no comments on him. He wasn't even on my radar to watch based on projections back in December.

As I mentioned a few times, now that declarations are showing up the draft is thinning out a bit. With a guy like Thabeet leaning toward staying (and AJ Price too it seems), along with several others, the choices start getting a lot lighter by the mid-first. The Pacers will still get a shot at a solid player though, and you still might cherry pick into something nice if you get back in as we've discussed.

But it's not "the strongest draft ever" either. I think I have real confidence in 4 guys - Beasley, Rose, Bayless and Mayo. The rest might be more like Lopez=Mihm, etc.

I really hate the risk on Jordan. This team can't afford a Sene caliber risk.

If we luck into the third pick I really hope we take Bayless instead of Lopez.
    Would that even be on the table at all? I just can't imagine that if you have #3 you don't take Bayless given the team's needs. Beasley over Bayless probably, despite attitude concerns, but Rose-Bayless are your top 2 hopes going into this draft.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-22-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Man, I just didn't see it with Koufus at this point. Not impressed at all and I thought for sure he'd stay another year. To me he hasn't shown anything that he can do at the next level yet.

JMO.

Love CAN make those outlet passes in the NBA and since he already does all his work below the rim I don't see how that goes away at the next level. Far different that a guy like Hibbert who seemed to depend on his size to get it done at times.

If Bill Walker falls to the Pacers in the 2nd round I'll eat a hat. Not mine, I want to still wear those, but someone's hat.

I've been the one talking about his attitude (Jack Jr) and I do think it's a factor, but at some point the talent level overshadows behavior that might tone down with age/environment. I didn't love Jackson's game, but I certainly liked parts of it and clearly he is NBA capable for 30+ minutes. So I'd take that with a 2nd round pick or even a mid-20s.

Of course mid 20s and I'd still want Rush instead. I like Lee and Weaver too, but not more than Walker when it comes to pure talent if not maturity.
    i see you've been reading my pre-season posts about rush, walker, and lee ;-)

doubt koufus is in the nba next year. if he does leave o$u, it'll most likely be to europe as opposed to the nba. love's passing ability and smarts won't leave him, but he's too short, too fat, too unathletic to compete as a high-quality player at the next level. that's not somebody you draft at #11. if love falls to 20-25, sure i'd take him. but not any time before...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    i see you've been reading my pre-season posts about rush, walker, and lee ;-)

doubt koufus is in the nba next year. if he does leave o$u, it'll most likely be to europe as opposed to the nba. love's passing ability and smarts won't leave him, but he's too short, too fat, too unathletic to compete as a high-quality player at the next level. that's not somebody you draft at #11. if love falls to 20-25, sure i'd take him. but not any time before...
    Thought Koufus had already been offered a 5 mil contract for europe and he left it. What makes you think he would change his mind other than more money?

I trust Koufus stats over say David H. becuase he doesn't have to rely on power. He is a center that fits better in JOB'S system than any of the ones that we currently have. I am not counting JO as a center.

I think Love will be better than you think. He certianly isn't going to be a defensive stopper but he won't be a liability either.

love's passing ability and smarts won't leave him, but he's too short,
    At least year's Jordan camp, Kyle Singler (Love's highschool rival) measured out at 6'9" with shoes. In most side by side pictures, Love is easily taller than him by at least an inch. So he's probably 6'10" in shoes.

Which has to make him at least 6'8" w/o shoes. I imagine he'll measure out close to 6'9" w/o shoes. Being tall enough won't be Love's problem.

koufus would change his mind because believe it or not, his draft stock dropped after this past yr at o$u. started off strong to somewhat falter and lose name rec towards the end. he may have come to the realizatoin that europe would offer him the most $ and best chance to increase his value for the nba...

kevin love at 6'9 or 6'10 is too short imo, especially considering the position he's best suited for. today's nba power forwards would have wet dreams going up against a kevin love at pf. he just won't be able to keep up. kevin love at a legit 7ft is a top 5 pick. kevin love at 6'9 6'10 is a waste of draft pick unless that pick is btwn 20-25 as i stated...

Does Love = Sabonis?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Does Love = Sabonis?
    a shorter, not as good of a passer version maybe
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

lol was sabonis not 7'3? game wise sure...but height is a HUGE factor when it comes to love and how he'll pan out in the league...

lol was sabonis not 7'3? game wise sure...but height is a HUGE factor when it comes to love and how he'll pan out in the league...
    Sabonis didn't play in the NBA until he was well past his prime. There are some scouts that think in his prime he was the best center ever, and they've seen Wilt, Russell and Jabar.

If Love turns out just 90% as good as Sabonis he'll be an all star.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Sabonis didn't play in the NBA until he was well past his prime. There are some scouts that think in his prime he was the best center ever, and they've seen Wilt, Russell and Jabar.

If Love turns out just 90% as good as Sabonis he'll be an all star.
    oh i wasn't saying anything negative about sabonis at all...i understand very well he probably would have been a hof lock had he played his entire career in the nba...i'm laughing at the comparison between the two. one of the main reasons sabonis was so good is because of his 7'3" frame. love can never be so dominant for that very reason. he's a center traped in a short power forward's body...

oh i wasn't saying anything negative about sabonis at all...
    I knew that I was just adding my two cents.

I think people put a little too much stock in height sometimes. I don't really have an inclination one way or another on the Love debate here, but I just want everyone to remember, 6'4-6" (depending on the source you use he varies 2 inches) PF Charles Barkley would be the best player on our team, easily, probably the second best Pacer ever, and even that would be argued by some people for him being the best.

The right player is the right player sometimes, height notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I think people put a little too much stock in height sometimes. I don't really have an inclination one way or another on the Love debate here, but I just want everyone to remember, 6'4-6" (depending on the source you use he varies 2 inches) PF Charles Barkley would be the best player on our team, easily, probably the second best Pacer ever, and even that would be argued by some people for him being the best.

The right player is the right player sometimes, height notwithstanding.
    Chuck isn't in this draft.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Like I said, I don't really care one way or the other, I'm not nearly informed enough (although I'd argue all the arm chair scouts here aren't either) I'm just saying, height isn't an end all be all physical characteristic.

I don't know about Sabonis, just a question. I know his prime was overseas. I know he was effective after he came over as a super smart player, great passer, could hit a three, but ssssllllllllooooowwww as molasses.

I think Love could probably shoot from outside, he's very heady for a young player, but its a good point that 6 inches could make a big difference. Although Sabonis was really wide, big lower body and Love seems to have that make up as well.

I'm just trying to get my mind around where Love fits in the league and what he'd have to be like to be sucessful.

Typically, underheighted, somewhat average athletic guys don't fare well in the big boy league. We'll see, I keep getting the feeling he'll be with the Pacers.

Banned

Kevin Love will be a poor defender. Not exactly what we need.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    Kevin Love will be a poor defender. Not exactly what we need.
    It is excessive to say that he would be a poor defender. Is Foster a poor defender? Love is not a dominating presence on the block. But he is not poor. Average at worst for those who have seen him play.

When healthy, Foster is much more athletic than Love.
    I suspect that Love will be a decent defender at the NBA
    level due to his smarts, anticipation and proper positioning.
    But he doesn't have the speed, agility or lateral quickness
    that Foster does.

Plus, Jeff is a legit 6-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    When healthy, Foster is much more athletic than Love.
    I suspect that Love will be a decent defender at the NBA
    level due to his smarts, anticipation and proper positioning.
    But he doesn't have the speed, agility or lateral quickness
    that Foster does.

Plus, Jeff is a legit 6-11.

They say and I'd agree that he's a good defender, not in shot blocks or steals, but by contesting position and shots and anticipating moves. So I think he could be sound defensively. What you worry about is guys like JO shooting over him, I suppose. I think Love getting legit 3 point range would really make him valuable in today's NBA.