Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2040

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Need to invite Shaun Pruitt from U of I to camp. A potential sleeper who was on a team with bad guard play. Has size and decent low post game. No character issues with either as far as I can remember.

The thought of DJ White in the 2nd round is growing on me. A banger like him or Dorsey or Hendrix would be nice. I think DJ has more offense than those two, but less defense.
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 04-17-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Suggested Randle too but he shoots 20% 3PT

Shaun Pruitt was benched, IIRC, twice this year because of behavior. He was just a pain in the arse for Weber. Later in the season, he admitted to not listening and being in the wrong mindset for most of his Illini career. Many players on the team thought it was hard to develop team chemistry because of the way he -- a would-be leader -- acted. Perhaps his late-year revelation helped him out, but he's kind of a headcase.

Oh, and he was schooled by Nemanja Calasan in the first game against Purdue this year. Calasan repeatedly kept him from getting the ball in the post, and he's likely only 6-foot-6.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-17-2008 at 12:16 PM.

I think the Pacers need to take a good look at this STEVE Forbes kid form UMASS. I know we do not need another 2/3 but this guy really scores the ball. I watched him in the NIT and was impressed w/ his offensive game. He also is having a good showing at Portsmouth. He will provide our team with instant offense off the bench.

My non drafted invitee hopefull is Jaycee Carroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Pacers need to take a good look at this STEVE Forbes kid form UMASS. I know we do not need another 2/3 but this guy really scores the ball. I watched him in the NIT and was impressed w/ his offensive game. He also is having a good showing at Portsmouth. He will provide our team with instant offense off the bench.

My non drafted invitee hopefull is Jaycee Carroll.
    This team doesn't really need instant offense unless it comes from inside the paint. We didn't lose games this season because we couldn't score enough points. We lost them because we couldn't stop anybody.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I just searched every mock draft I could find on google. NBADraft.net has us taking McGee and every other one has us taking DJ Augustin. I don't know who's Mock draft is the best but I know I would be happy with Augustin.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and Will Purdue was saying he had just worked out the Lopez twins and he said Brook is more NBA ready but he said Robin was more atheletic and the he think Robin is going to be the better twin. He says he is better than Anderson Varejao is right now. That is something to look at IMO I like him over alot of the other bigs in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This team doesn't really need instant offense unless it comes from inside the paint. We didn't lose games this season because we couldn't score enough points. We lost them because we couldn't stop anybody.
    I apologize his name is Gary Forbes not Steve Forbes. Here is what draft express says about him after Portsmouth.
    Standing just a shade under 6-7, with a nice build at 216 pounds, good strength, an excellent 6-10 ¾ wingspan, and solid, although not freakish athleticism—Forbes was well equipped to overwhelm virtually any defender that was thrown at him on the wing. The fact that he’s tough, aggressive, an excellent ball-handler and has a very advanced scoring instincts clearly did not hurt. Forbes can go either left or right with excellent body control and loves to use crafty spin moves and hesitation dribbles to keep his defender guessing about his next move. He’s strong enough to just bully players to the rim at the collegiate level, and gets to the free throw line at a superb rate, but at times isn’t quite explosive enough to finish around the rim. At times he got caught over-penetrating into the lane, looking a bit out of control in the process. Forbes is also a very adept passer as his outrageous 8.7 assists per game in this tournament would indicate—his court vision is strong and he seemed very motivated to create shots for others, which wasn’t always the case at times at the collegiate level—where his shot-selection often seemed questionable. He shot just 41% from the field and 29% for 3 at UMass, dominating the ball on a team that probably needed him to play a bit selfishly at times. Forbes can hit 3-pointers, as he showed at this tournament and by connecting on 1.6 attempts per game, but he’s still way too streaky and will surely need to improve this part of his game if he’s going to stick at the next level.

Defensively, Forbes did not have to guard power forwards like he did at UMass often his senior year, which helped us evaluate his pro prospects more effectively. His size, length and strength are all impressive for a swingman, and will clearly help him at the next level, but his average lateral quickness raises some doubts about whether he’ll be trusted enough on this end of the floor to see many minutes. Shedding some weight, getting smarter and improving his footwork will be a must for him to stick in the NBA down the road, but he has the tools to do so if he commits himself.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    He will be slightly bigger than Jeff with more defensive energy that is why I like him. I think with the Pacers that we always need a hustler/energy guy. Someone to be a catalyst for a defensive mindset. Armstrong was that 2 years ago but now we don't have that guy.
    Although I do not mind having another "Jeff Foster-like" player in our Big Man rotation ( given the way our offense/defense works, we can never have enough of those ), I think that Frontcourt Hustle/Energy type players that can come in and do a decent job of defending in the Low-Post while providing energy and rebounding can be found through FA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Will, when I watch Robin play I think Jeff Foster. What is it about his game you find
    appealing for the Pacers? I want a big who at least is great in at least one area and
    capable at some point in the others. In this draft that means Thabeet, Love and maybe
    Arthur off the top of my head at least from where the Pacers are picking.
    Guard wise I see no one available at 11 who would not be a reach.
    A Jeff Foster that blocks shots too, wouldn't be bad.

Maybe it's a reach, but really what I'm thinking is theres really not much difference in twins potential, so if Brook is worthy of the 3rd pick in the draft why not try for Robin with our second round pick? (#41) He's already an excellent defender and his offense was getting better at the end of the year.

Chad Ford has him ranked 31st, but I think he will go in the first round, probably around 18-30, so we would have to make a trade. Thabeet and Love appeal to me too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...had&page=InOut

Brook Lopez, C, Stanford
    Brook Lopez has the physical tools and offensive abilities to be an excellent NBA player. He has great size, length and above-average athleticism. He's an effective scorer in the paint and can stretch the defense away from the basket. Right now he projects as the top center in the draft and a potential Top 5 pick.

Robin Lopez, C, Stanford
    Robin Lopez is more athletic and has a better motor than his brother. He's an active rebounder and excellent shot-blocker. He lacks any real polish on the offensive end of the floor, but he has improved in that area this season. Right now teams see him as a defensive stopper in the Anderson Varejao mold. He's probably a late first to early second-round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Although I do not mind having another "Jeff Foster-like" player in our Big Man rotation ( given the way our offense/defense works, we can never have enough of those ), I think that Frontcourt Hustle/Energy type players that can come in and do a decent job of defending in the Low-Post while providing energy and rebounding can be found through FA.
    You could say that about any position.

To me this draft is all about the safest pick that will provide the long term building blocks that will get us past the 1st round playoffs. I think most of the time we look at the draft and see potential with alot of question marks. Is the guy big/tall enough? Does he have a good work ethic? Is he just a tweener or can he develop pg skills. With Robin Lopez you know what you are going to get. High energy, offensive rebounds and a 7'0 defensive presence in the middle. He has the potential to eat more and get bigger so he will surpass Jeff Foster in his ability to be an actual Center.

Offensively he has as much rust as a high school urinal but thats not to say we can't throw a mint in there and freshen him up abit. Certianly he can be more than Jeff "The Clank" Foster.

Lastly Bigs cost more. The FA is the last place I would want to get a big man. MOst of them just pad their stats in their contract year anyhow.
    Can someone say Erick Dampier.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-17-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Sports Logo

Offensively he has as much rust as a high school urinal but thats not to say we can't throw a mint in there and freshen him up abit. Certianly he can be more than Jeff "The Clank" Foster.
    Good one....

Lastly Bigs cost more. The FA is the last place I would want to get a big man. MOst of them just pad their stats in their contract year anyhow.
    Can someone say Erick Dampier.
    Erick Dampier...there, I said it

If we draft Westbrook at the 11th spot...,and somehow acquired a 2nd 1st rounder....then I wouldn't mind drafting Robin Lopez as some pseudo-hybrid-lovechild of Anderson Varajeo and Joakim Noah. But Robin Lopez at the 11th spot is too high for him to be drafted.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Well Love and Rush are both in the draft now.

Sports Logo

Interesting....when I read Ford's blurb about Marreese Speights, I'm thinking that this is the type of player that Bird would want to replace JONeal with.

ESPN.COM
    Written by Chad Ford

Marreese Speights, F/C, Florida*
    Speights is one of the most efficient low-post scorers in college basketball. He's not especially flashy, but can be brutally effective in the paint, both scoring and grabbing rebounds. Scouts question his position a little and his conditioning, but overall they project him as a late lottery to mid first-round pick.

Exclamation ESPN's 2008 NBA Mock Draft

The machine tendency is the Pacers drafting D.J. Augustin with the 11th pick. Wanna play? Here's the link. Tells us your results.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2008/mockdraft

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN's 2008 NBA Mock Draft

We've been doing this for months now. It is neat, though.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Top pick after about 5 tries. Had us picking Rose. Mostly comes out at number 11, selecting Augustin.

I did it 129 times last night and got B. Lopez 4 times with the 3 rd pick, and the rest were all Augustine at the 11, 12, and 13, spots.

However, I think Bird is going big from what was said in the Simon transcript and on the Jim O'B show.

O'B siad on his show they didn't think there was a point guard that would start for them in the draft other than Rose.

So the thing to do is look at the bigs after the Pacers pick and you will get a better idea of who the Pacers will pick.

Interesting....when I read Ford's blurb about Marreese Speights, I'm thinking that this is the type of player that Bird would want to replace JONeal with.
    Sounds like another version of IKE to me.

Good one....

Erick Dampier...there, I said it

If we draft Westbrook at the 11th spot...,and somehow acquired a 2nd 1st rounder....then I wouldn't mind drafting Robin Lopez as some pseudo-hybrid-lovechild of Anderson Varajeo and Joakim Noah. But Robin Lopez at the 11th spot is too high for him to be drafted.
    I totally agree thats to high for Robin.. I also think its to high for a undersized shooting guard who you hope can develop into a pg.
    There are no easy choices here but drafting off of a second string pg is risky at best.

There are a couple of Aussies projected to go late first round to second round in the coming draft.

Nathan Jawai 6-10 280 PF/C 1986

a flat out bruiser, a developing offensive game. might lack the quickness to play in Ob's system. Could be David Harrison without the crazy.

Joe Ingles 6-8 195 SF 1987

the lefty, aussie version of dunleavy. smart player, good offensive instincts, can shoot from range, deceptive quicks. needs to improve his lateral movement on defense, right handed ball handling and consistency on his shot.

Sounds like another version of IKE to me.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe just a little bigger

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe just a little bigger
    Wait, what? Isn't he listed at 6'10"? That makes him at least 2 inches taller than Ike.

Is Lopez better than Hibbert?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I did it 129 times last night and got B. Lopez 4 times with the 3 rd pick, and the rest were all Augustine at the 11, 12, and 13, spots.

However, I think Bird is going big from what was said in the Simon transcript and on the Jim O'B show.

O'B siad on his show they didn't think there was a point guard that would start for them in the draft other than Rose.

So the thing to do is look at the bigs after the Pacers pick and you will get a better idea of who the Pacers will pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    Is Lopez better than Hibbert?
    Brook Lopez is higher rated than Hibbert, but Robin Lopez is lower rated. I think most of us on here would rather have either Lopez.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Speights is not Ike 2.0.

He has a greater chance at being a starter than Arthur inmho.

speights defense is terrible. i'd rather take a chance on ibaka or ajinca than speights