Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Sports Logo

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

UConn played IU on Saturday. I'm guessing that some of you watched the game. How did Thabeet look?

His box score didn't look that great....but how was his defense and overall game?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't that what they said of last years draft?

Besides....the only way that we can get an additional draft pick is if we trade Granger....and that's not likely to happen. No one is going to trade their draft pick for any of our vets/long contracts. Ike and Shawne don't have any real value. If anything....the next closest player that may get us a draft pick...which is still unlikely is Foster....and I doubt that he could even fetch us a pick....unless it's in the late 20s to early 2nd round.
    foster, granger, and jo could all land us 1st round picks...nothing great but 1sts nonetheless...but you also realize that teams last year were essentially willing to sell their 1st round picks. i'd be willing to bet that phoenix would trade their atl 1st rounder for jeff in some sort of deal...and as far as last year's draft, yes, it was top heavy but there has never been the amount of freshman dominating college basketball as there has been this year. even if half of those players come out, this draft will be litered with potential. so i stand by my comment that this could be one of the better, deepest, most potential filled drafts in history...

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again: Mayo is the next Steve Francis/Stephon Marbury. Great player when it comes to individual stats, but a locker room cancer for sure. Best case scenerio is he has an Allen Iverson attitude, Iverson has matured over the years but did cause his fair share of problems during his early years in Philadelphia.

Mayo will never win an NBA title, mark my words.

I'd love to have Thabeet here. I think he has the ability to be one of the best defensive presences in the league for a long time, and be a 15-18 ppg scorer during his peak years.
    Wow, He sounds like a perfect fit for the Pacers.
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

lmao at dcpacersfan completely TRASHING oj mayo yet hyping arguably the most raw player in college basketball as potentially the great center...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    lmao at dcpacersfan completely TRASHING oj mayo yet hyping arguably the most raw player in college basketball as potentially the great center...
    I don't necessarily see what dcpacersfan wrote as a contradiction .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Regardless, if it comes down to the Pacers having their chose between those two players you know they will pick Thabeet.

As for the talk of trading Granger for a pick, the Pacers will never do that either. I could see them trading him for the draft rights for someone like Gordon though.

My thinking there is Danny is a favorite, but they would be trading him for someone who should be another favorite, while thinning the small forward ranks and trading for a need.

Sports Logo

foster, granger, and jo could all land us 1st round picks...nothing great but 1sts nonetheless...but you also realize that teams last year were essentially willing to sell their 1st round picks. i'd be willing to bet that phoenix would trade their atl 1st rounder for jeff in some sort of deal...and as far as last year's draft, yes, it was top heavy but there has never been the amount of freshman dominating college basketball as there has been this year. even if half of those players come out, this draft will be litered with potential. so i stand by my comment that this could be one of the better, deepest, most potential filled drafts in history...
    If Foster or JONeal can get us a 1st round pick next season....I would definitely consider it. Although I disagree about the trade of both player....Foster is the only one that can probably get us a late 1st round pick. Unless JONeal is able to return to ( the closest thing ) his regular self.....he has a 40 mil anchor tied to his injury-prone body ( which severely negates any value that he has ). As for Granger, unless he is traded alongside Tinsley or Murphy to get a 1st round pick and a very good player in return....he's one of our core players that we are rebuilding around.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Regardless, if it comes down to the Pacers having their chose between those two players you know they will pick Thabeet.

As for the talk of trading Granger for a pick, the Pacers will never do that either. I could see them trading him for the draft rights for someone like Gordon though.

My thinking there is Danny is a favorite, but they would be trading him for someone who should be another favorite, while thinning the small forward ranks and trading for a need.
    I completely agree with you on this.....if Bird doesn't at least pick up the phone and call whatever team drafted Gordon and offer Granger....I will be upset. It's at least worth a try.

Sports Logo

So.....did anyone watch the UConn/IU game?

Does anyone have any opinion of Thabeet based off of what they saw of him in the game?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anyone have any opinion of Thabeet based off of what they saw of him in the game?
    It's hard to have an opinion of any center who plays against IU because IU doesn't have a legit center, and hasn't for some time now (Marco was good for about half a season).

streets ahead

i've never been terribly impressed by thabeet. at the beginning of the game he played solid defense on dj white -- good footwork. but eventually he'd just get caught and dj or cutting player would be wide open and thabeet would be nowhere close. so he still relies too much on being 7'3".

gordon had a few impressive moments but his defensive weaknesses were easily exposed.

EDIT: shade is right about the size. dj is 6'9" and i think deandre thomas is like 6'8" . so ultimately it is difficult to judge.
    This is the darkest timeline.

He's good. Just not for us. And not for Obie.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I don't necessarily see what dcpacersfan wrote as a contradiction .

Regards,

Mourning
    it's the fact that he's willing to knock a player who's proven himself at every level as at least a big time scorer/player, and then hype of somebody who has only proven to be an occasionally solid defender. the draft is a toss up either way, that's the contradiction. dc has no clue what oj mayo will turn out to be yet seems to think he knows exactly what thabeet (again most raw player in college basketball) will become...i don't want mayo on my team but nobody knows how any of the players will turn out...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

My Tivo puked on that one so I didn't get it.

I noticed low rebounds which would seem to be bad, but then you are looking for how more than how many.

As for Mayo, I've been catching up with some games I only saw part of. I was watching some more of the Wash St/USC game and I still think Mayo is going to get overlooked by some people and slip into someone's hands.

His game is NBA ready. In that game he showed an NBA-caliber pull up and shoot, an Isiah-esque spin, the ability and desire to set back screens for OTHER players, the ability to properly attack and dish on the break, a willingness to get up and defend (as he did vs Rose in that Memphis game), and a desire to BANG for rebounds rather than settle for long ones to fall into his lap.

I don't see him as a stat grabber, I see him as a player that is much better than a lot of the talent around him. Now it could be that if he gets paid his game will fall off, but right now his defensive and rebounding attitudes suggest a team type of player to me.

My only question on his game is his leadership knowledge. He can do his part but he doesn't seem ready to lead others. That's where staying in college another year could help him. But he's not the only player that could benefit from that for various reasons (Thabeet, Gordon, Rose all come to mind right away).

I'd swap Tins out for Mayo in a heartbeat. He doesn't strike me as Marbury at all, but then I'm not hanging out with him. Who knows what dirt he has on Floyd. Seriously though he hasn't come across as a cocky punk in the least when I've watched him, just impressive.

I'm no pro scout and could be way off. This is just our impressions mostly from TV viewing, right. So if they pick him and he's a disaster there's no "see dummy". We all know the draft is nuts. This one does seem deeper than last year but I thought last year was getting a ton of hype based on the top end power. Acie Law was a lottery pick. Who really thought of Acie Law a guard in the Gordon/Rose/Mayo category? I wasn't sold that Conley was for that matter, and I like his game. To me Conley should have gone closer to where Law went, maybe 8-9.

And of course it's the first year. Gotta give drafts 3-4 years to mature.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-27-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Thabeet is listed at 7'3" and is probably pretty close to that in real life. He's pretty damn tall.
    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Both of them are legit 7 footers.....both of which are listed as 7 foot 2 ( Hibbert ) and 7 foot 3 ( Thabeet ).
    BTW, my comment on his height wasn't that I didn't believe people, it was that it surprised me. Let's face it, TV viewing isn't the same as seeing up close. I guess Hibbert just played more upright and Thabeet was in a more athletic/agile stance when I saw them. As I said, Thabeet struck me as a young Antonio Davis perhaps (raw).

Mood

I wouldn't touch Mayo. Has headcase or malcontent written all over him IMO.

UConn played IU on Saturday. I'm guessing that some of you watched the game. How did Thabeet look?

His box score didn't look that great....but how was his defense and overall game?

I've seen Thabeet a few times - he obviously doesn't have the basketball skills of all these other 1st rounders, but c'mon, the man is 7'3" and athletic! A very rare combination. I still don't know if he's someone I'd build a team around, but I'd like to have him on my team. He has pretty good footwork and appears to be a hard worker, and from what I've seen I'd project him to have a Mutombo-type career with better offense. He might not be an NBA All-Star, but he'll be solid.

If Thabeet can provide some scoring, rebounding and defense AND be durable, he would be
    a great fit for the Pacers. One draft is not going to fix what ails the Pacers but it will be a
    start. That and a couple of years(contracts expiring or being traded ie JO) will also help
    tremendously.

If we are talking raw and talented the Pacers should also consider Serge Ibaka or
    Kevin Love would be a Diogu replacement and be a much better passer and rebounder.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't see him as a stat grabber, I see him as a player that is much better than a lot of the talent around him..
    I honestly don't know that much about Mayo, but to me he's more of a guy that just seems to know he's better than everyone else than a punk. It's a fine line I suppose, but a good percentage of the All Time greats (MJ, Bird, Lebron, Barkley, GP, Kobe) have made quite a career out of dedicating their careers to making sure than everyone in the game knew that they were the best player on the court at all times.

Obviously, I'm not saying that Mayo is anywhere close to that type of talent...hell, I've only seen him play three times and some youtube clips. I'm just saying that from what I've seen he's just a dude that knows he's better at basketball than everyone else he's ever played against and not some sort of malcontent.

Confident moreso than arrogant...Cocksure more so than cocky.

What exactly are the issues with him? I've seen the clip of him throwing the ball into the stands and ending a game when there was still like 20 seconds left or whatever. And I've heard the story about how he told Tim Floyd he was coming to USC and would do the recruiting himself. But neither of those seem damning, even if the first one is mildly ridiculous.

Again, this is probably too much for me to write about a guy I don't have a huge opinion on from a basketball standpoint or mentalitywise...but from my limited purview, he seems more in that realm of Rudy Gay, who was a guy I always wondered why people considered him a malcontent. What was it that made people stay away from Rudy other than the continued mention of the term "shaky character" in draft previews? McCants was a little like that too. The questions on both their characters seemed like rumor, speculation and innuendo with those guys based upon old white guy sportwriters watching their facial expressions and demeanor on TV...and so far that's what Mayo feels like.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 01-28-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote=owl;648686]
    If we are talking raw and talented the Pacers should also consider Serge Ibaka [quote]

Yeah that kids intrigues me so much. For those who don't know him I will repost somethings.
    Last edited by Major Cold; 01-28-2008 at 10:45 AM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I like BEasley and Gordon. I agree with Seth that Rose has some polish to do. If he stayed in one more year that may be the best thing for him.

Batum???? Lopez????

I love this kid.

Serge IbakaCongo

Birthday:9/18/1989
    NBA Postion:PF/C
    Class:N/A
    Ht:6-10
    Wt:220
    Int Team:LHospitalet
    Hometown:Congo
    High School:N/A

NBA Comparison: Shawn Kemp
    Strengths: A tremendous athlete blessed with insane length and leaping ability ... Conjures up memories of Shawn Kemp. Ibaka reportedly had a higher vertical than any of the players drafted in the 2007 draft. Which is extremely unusual for a taller player ... Despite his immense physical gifts, Ibaka hustles at all times and works hard on his game showing a lot of improvement in a short time ... He's currently playing in Spain for L'Hospitalet ... Has solid footwork in the post, and an improving turn around jumper ... He can even extend out to the 3 pt line and knock down shots on occaision ... Has the tools to become a first round pick in the next year, as he is not far from having an NBA ready body, and plays hard ... He's relentless on the boards and his length and athleticism makes him a formidable shot blocker ... Has good touch on his shot, and solid mechanics, he just needs to become more comfortable with his offensive game so it becomes second nature ...

Weaknesses: Coming from the Congo, his age may come into question ... He appears to be young and at least close to his listed age so it likely won't be to big a deterrant, but teams are normally wary of the age of young African players who seem "too good to be true". But unlike some other recent African draft picks who did not play NCAA ball (Saer Sene, Malick Badiane and Desagana Diop) Ibaka is already showing offensive abilities ... Ibaka also needs to work hard on his skills, while he shows nice potential with his ball skills and post moves, they are far from refined ... Learning a few moves that he can consistently go to in the post will greatly improve his offesnive abilities ... Needs to add some muscle to his frame. Right now, he's too lean and will get pushed around under the basket ... But he's still very young, and appears to be able to put weight on without any problems ... At the adidas Global camp in New Orleans, Ibaka suffered with cramps, so staying hydrated and improving on his stamina are important ...

He appears to have an offensive game. Folks I know that the unknown is intriguing and often overrated. But this kid seems different. Raw talent with and offensive game. Too bad we can't see him in FIBA cause he played junior ball with the congo. France is out of the question.

I don't see the Pacers picking him up. Tim Duncan caught my eye his sophmore year and I have followed him since, I might just do the same with this kid.

He is projected to go late 1st round. Trading Diogu to get him would be nice. Send him to the NBDL for a year and see what happens.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

it's the fact that he's willing to knock a player who's proven himself at every level as at least a big time scorer/player, and then hype of somebody who has only proven to be an occasionally solid defender. the draft is a toss up either way, that's the contradiction.
    Maybe he should win a few BIG games then
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I just went through the first half of the USC/UCLA game and Packer agrees with me, Mayo gets after it on defense. He did it vs Wash St, vs Memphis and UCLA. They put him on Rose, they put him on Collison and then moved him to Westbrook when he had an early impact (and he went bye-bye with Mayo on him).

I have no agenda with the guy, I just have been watching as much of any of these guys I can to get past the hype and stats and see what they can do. This kid is legit. My biggest worry is his FG%, not his FGA.

He's not be-all, but he's a legit NBA talent that plays PERIMETER defense like he cares and comes to traffic to fight for a rebound. When you see a guy like Owens get down into his attack defense stance, that's how Mayo plays defense all the time.

It would be a massive mistake to pass on him based on hype. Now look, if they interview the kid, look into his past, and they see Tins part 2 or something then sure you pass on him. My thing is that a lot of fans are dismissing him off of some vague impression, often without seeing him even play.

How he plays doesn't mesh with prima donna.
    Maybe he should win a few BIG games then
    Um, the win AT UCLA? And USC played tight vs several elite teams (4pts vs Memphis and Kansas, both certain #1 seeds). Their schedule hasn't been for the faint of heart. UCLA, Memphis, Kansas, Wash St, all ranked 4th or better at the time.

That's one thing I like about the Mayo situation, that team has gone after tough competition, or had it come to them thanks to the Pac-10 strength. That's how you get better.

Now personally I still like the Kansas kids and Love at UCLA, at least for where the Pacers will likely pick.

Collison again underwhelmed me in that USC game (again, Tivo from a few weeks ago). He's okay, but I'm not sure he's an NBA starter. I think I still prefer Augustin perhaps. There are times Collison makes nice plays, but mostly he's just a sound NCAA fundamentals type of player rather than a pure talent.

You know who's making an impression on me lately is Josh Shipp at UCLA.

I need to finish up the USC/UCLA game (halftime) and I have another I forget on Tivo, plus I add the UConn/L'ville game tonight. Beats watching some parts of Pacers games, and I can FFWD when the prospect sits.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-28-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Banned

I would jump for joy if we ended up with O.J. Mayo. I think he's every bit as good a prospect as Gordon, and in fact his game is more complete and he's a better defender.

For those saying Mayo has a bad attitude or is a team cancer, could you please post facts to back up your claims?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I was pretty impressed with what I saw of thabeet, For as tall as the guy is he can really move. He isn't what you think of when you picture a slow moving 7-3 guy. I just watched some sportscenter highlights where the guy had some really impressive blocks too. Even if he never develops much of an offensive game, he could be a great asset just as a defensive anchor.

I think if you can't get gordon, I would go with Thabeet and than trade granger for a point gaurd. Maybe a young guy. Conley perhaps? maybe someone better? possible lineup of the future...

conley
    rush
    dunleavy
    williams
    thabeet
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports