Page 48 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2040

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

  1. #1176
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Thoughts on what I'm reading:

    I don't want T.J. Ford, unless I can trade Tins + not much for him. Ford's played 251 games in 4 seasons for an average of ~63 games/year. Tinsley has played 398 games in 7 seasons for an average of ~57 games/year. In short, Ford is not any less of an injury risk than Tinsley.

    I think we can trust Bird to draft the best available player within reason. I think he'll draft the best player that's not a 3. I think that's a very reasonable strategy. We need help at every position other than SF. The only other concern I have would be taking a PF with JO, Ike, Shawne, and Foster still on the roster. If we draft a PF, we better have a plan to move at least one of those guys. It won't do us any good to draft Arthur or Speights or Love to have them competing with Ike and Shawne to be the 4th wheel behind Foster, O'Neal, and Murphy. And don't kid yourself into thinking that we can find a way to move Murphy.

    I like Dunleavy a lot, but I can certainly see plenty of reasons to trade him. If I got offered a PF/C or guard of equal or slightly lesser ability than Dun, I'd take them provided they could bring qualities to the table that this team is missing: rebound and shot-blocking from a PF/C and strong perimeter defense from a guard.

    In looking at who we might draft this year, we should look at Bird's stated vision for the team and the qualities he's liked in players in the past. I think that Larry looks for effort first and foremost in a player. I have a very hard time seeing him take a player like Jordan who has a questionable heart/work ethic.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  2. #1177
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if Batum, Randolph, & Speights all turn into 20/10 guys and Augustine turns out to be a bust?
    That's not a good argument. You could turn it around and say the same thing, what if the three above are run of the mill and Augustin is a 15ppg, 9apg, 3spg, point guard? You never really know.

    You make what you think is the best move possible at the time.

  3. #1178
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,336

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And as I just said I'd also move Dun. Ultimately my vision of the team features Danny, Foster till he retires, probably JO till his deal ends or during it's final year, and then the kids you add this and next year.

    That's the team I want to see them try to win with. So I draft and trade in order to fill ALL those spots, not just PG for next year as if that's all it's going to take.

    This is why I don't draft W'brook to "learn" PG. He doesn't have the vision, doesn't have that PG sense, and just is a huge risk away from SG/combo status I think. There you are counting on that HR attempt at a PG solution and you haven't solved any other issues. However I do take him if you are moving Dunleavy.

    That would mean that technically I'm passing over the PG spot with that pick. But then if Mike gets you Chalmers at say 22 or so then you just turned Tins/Mike into Chalmers/Westbrook and they fit much more naturally with what Granger does. Both those guys would work off Danny better than Dun because in many ways Dun is a duplicate of Danny on offense.

    I mean for all his faciliating of offense Mike's assists aren't exactly through the roof. I don't see Westbrook as a PG, but I do think he could see 3-5 assists from the SG/combo to match Mike's output. The defensive improvement would be drastic.
    Why is moving Dunleavy a requirment to picking a SG/Combo-Guard like Wesbrook in the upcoming draft?

    Looking at our upcoming roster for the 2008-2009 season, we only have 1 SG that has a guaraneteed Contract in Marquis. If Marquis is moved in the offseason as an Expiring Contract , Rush and Flip aren't resigned, Shawne isn't moved for PR reasons ( all of which I think is a possiblility ), and Tinsley and Dunleavy are still on the roster ( both likely to remain given the length of their contract ), we could have enough minutes at the Guard rotation to play a rookie SG/Combo-Guard for the next season or two.

    PG - Tinsley / Diener
    SG - Dunleavy / "SG or Combo-Guard that we draft"
    SF - Granger / Shawne

    If a Guard had to be chosen in this draft, my preference is to draft Westbrook at the 12th spot ( as opposed to Collison or Augustine ) and have him fill the backup SG role or even the role that Flip is filling now ( doing a poor-impersonation of a PG ) IF Tinsley goes down with yet another injury.

    The good thing is that Westbrook can be brought in as a backup SG off the bench behind Dunleavy and net a consistent 10-15 minutes a game in his rookie season while filling the role of SG while possibly learning how to run the point without significant pressure behind Tinsley and Diener.

    I'm speculating here....but I think that is one of the reasons that Bird wanted Marquis and why he ultimately pursued Flip....he likes to have those Combo-Guards that can score ( frustratingly inconsistently at times for both Flip and Marquis ) the ball like a SG while handling limited PG duties ( which I don't think either of them can effectively do at the level that we need them to do it at ).

    That's why I can see Bird choosing Westbrook if Love or some other top Prospect ( a la Granger ) falls to him. Westbrook has the potential to become a better player, he fills a positional need that we have ( assuming that we don't resign any of our current FA Guards and move Marquis in the offseason ) and is the type of Combo-Guard that Bird likes to have on his roster. More importantly, Westbrook apparently can do a decent job at defending the perimeter and effectively pressuring the opposing PG.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-14-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #1179
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    I just want to ask - and this is no offense to CableKC - I liked your post a lot---

    Has there ever been a good "combo-guard" that has really ever done much as a point guard? Again Fred Jones, Marquis Daniels, Jalen Rose and such names come to mind and these guys really aren't cut out to translate into point guards.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  5. #1180
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,336

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to ask - and this is no offense to CableKC - I liked your post a lot---

    Has there ever been a good "combo-guard" that has really ever done much as a point guard? Again Fred Jones, Marquis Daniels, Jalen Rose and such names come to mind and these guys really aren't cut out to translate into point guards.
    You can ask that question to Bird as well He seemed to think that Flip was either a PG or ( at the very least ) a Combo-Guard when he signed him

    I'm not saying that Westbrook can become the next Wade or AI ( the closest players that I can think of that remotely resembles a Combo-Guard...which I can completely be off base about ), I'm just thinking that this is the type of player ( specifically a Guard that is more of a SG that can score while being capable of handling some PG duties ) that Bird seems to like having in his roster.

    As many have suggested here....if we had to draft a PG....I would much rather draft Westbrook at the 12th spot then draft Augustine or Collison. I don't like to draft players that only popped up on people's radar during the NCAA Tourney ( as opposed to more established players that have played well all year long as welll as in the Tourney, ie Brandon Rush ), but I can honestly say that I would prefer taking a risk on Westbrook ( something that I do not want to do ) then picking Augustine or Collison.

    At worst, we would have a decent backup SG and continue to look for a PG....at best...we have a solid Guard that can primarily play SG and provide some solid minutes at the PG spot.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-14-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. #1181
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,177

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to ask - and this is no offense to CableKC - I liked your post a lot---

    Has there ever been a good "combo-guard" that has really ever done much as a point guard? Again Fred Jones, Marquis Daniels, Jalen Rose and such names come to mind and these guys really aren't cut out to translate into point guards.
    a bit tough to answer because once a guard proves he can play the point, he'd lose the "combo" tag.

    one example that comes to mind is kirk hinrich. another is delonte west. heck, anthony johnson probably qualifies as well. other names - leandro barbosa, louis williams. but perhaps they don't play pg all that much.

    i like westbrook (or weaver for that matter) because i think our perimeter defense really needs a boost. if either could learn to play the pg position then that would be a bonus.

  7. #1182
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    a bit tough to answer because once a guard proves he can play the point, he'd lose the "combo" tag.

    one example that comes to mind is kirk hinrich. another is delonte west. heck, anthony johnson probably qualifies as well. other names - leandro barbosa, louis williams. but perhaps they don't play pg all that much.

    i like westbrook (or weaver for that matter) because i think our perimeter defense really needs a boost. if either could learn to play the pg position then that would be a bonus.

    It seems like with a guy like Dunleavy on the team we could afford to run a combo type at the point. Someone like westbrook who would be great in transition would do great in Obie's system, than you could always have dunleavy run the offense in the half court set. Meanwhile Westbrook plays excellent defense on the perimeter.

    As somebody mentioned, Randy Foye is another guy who could fill this role, he is also a better jumpshooter than westbrook. If westbrook was gone when we pick I would like to see what combo of williams, diogu, and the #11 pick could fetch him. Minny getting Rose would make this more feasable.

    you know playmaking is not a huge problem on this team, we are 7th in the leauge in assists per game.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 04-15-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  8. #1183
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    I guess I have disdain for the term "combo" guard. I don't get it. Any guard should be able to handle the ball, but it takes a different type of player to actually "see" the floor and set people up for shots.

    I agree wintermute with your point about losing the tag once they prove pg skills.

    I think that maybe that is what the term is used for then - a guy who teams would like to play point guard if he is able to develop the skills. So far the guys I've seen try have all failed.

    Now a couple guys who were bonified superstars could play point - guys like Pippen, TMac, Penny Hardaway and such players.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  9. #1184
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not a good argument. You could turn it around and say the same thing, what if the three above are run of the mill and Augustin is a 15ppg, 9apg, 3spg, point guard? You never really know.

    You make what you think is the best move possible at the time.
    Do you see the Pacers being able to move Tinsely & JO7 in the off-season? Here is my logic you have Jeff Foster, IKE, & JO7. If the Pacers make a move at the trading deadline next year it will have to involve Foster (expiring contract, quality player). You already have a replacement in the wings.

  10. #1185
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    When I hear "combo guard" I think of a shooting guard with a body of a point guard and who has at least one person convinced he has even a small chance of learning to be a point guard some day through coaching.

  11. #1186
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,485

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    If Combo guard means they can play both well, I'm all for it, but it never does. Mal is right and this draft is littered with guys like that. Its why I keep coming back to Augustine despite his size.

  12. #1187
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Combo guard means they can play both well, I'm all for it, but it never does. Mal is right and this draft is littered with guys like that. Its why I keep coming back to Augustine despite his size.
    What's the difference between a combo guard and a scoring PG who's between 6'2" and 6'4"? Gilbert Arenas was considered a combo guard coming out of college. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that a guy like Chauncey Billups was also. Really, any guard with decent but not ideal height gets labeled a combo guard coming out. Some guys learn to play PG and that's how we think of them, but they're not "pure" PG's like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, etc. I'd bet that you could find some pundits who referred to Deron Williams as a combo guard because he mainly played off the ball in college.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  13. #1188
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Why is moving Dunleavy a requirment to picking a SG/Combo-Guard like Wesbrook in the upcoming draft?
    Because a top 15 pick needs more than 8 minutes in his main role. JOB is still coach and if Mike is here he's the SG. The only reason you take W'brook with Mike here is because you plan to move him during the year or at the latest prior to the next draft.

    That's me, a guy who doesn't see W'brook as a PG.

    I also think you 100% cash out on Dun now while he's at the top of his game. He's redundent, he's NOT a defensive SG solution and Danny just showed that he's starting to feel comfortable as the #1 scoring option, including from 3.

    So Dun becomes a 3-4 assist extra Danny with little ability to defend the SG spot? How's that help this situation?

    OTOH he currently has value, not every team is sitting with a 3pt ace young star at SF. Not every team is riddled with defensive issues. Some of them could use A vet with lots of offensive punch.

    Dunleavy is for a team that is PLAYOFF READY, and not one that counts on him as the guy leading the team into the playoffs (obviously, see GS/IND recent years). The Pacers aren't that team, they are SUPPOSED TO BE REBUILDING.

    I'd move Jeff too except that he does do something you badly need which is play smart big man defense and get rebounds, plus it comes at a lower cost.


    I'm not anti-moving JO. I really like what JO can be, but I would also move him and Troy if possible. All 3 of those guys, plus Tins, are players that ultimately don't make sense if you are really rebuilding.

    Look, here's the hard fact on it, Mike looks great NOW. But consider the times when we wouldn't have traded JO or Tins and look where that ended up.

    As much as Mike improved his 3pt shot, he still didn't really improve any other aspect of his game. Frankly when you look at his per36 at Basketball-Reference I don't think his MIP case looks all that strong. OREB is down, assists are average for him (3.5 per36), everything is about the same otherwise.

    So if the perception on him is that he had this big improvement and is now earning his deal and perhaps some outsiders think this the first step to bigger things, then you deal him before people find out this is all you get.

    I wish Troy, JO and Tins had that outside view but they don't. On Tins I think you just punt for team chemistry sake because the cost won't be nearly as high as "eating" the Troy or JO deals on a bad trade.


    When I hear "combo guard" I think of a shooting guard with a body of a point guard and who has at least Kofi convinced he has even a small chance of learning to be a point guard some day through coaching.
    fixed

    Sorry Kofi, but I've made the point all year that UCLA put Collison, not Westbrook, into the PG role nearly all the time. If Westbrook is truly an NBA PG just waiting for some coaching then wasn't this the year to see that? Why wouldn't UCLA just go ahead and make that happen and let Collison come off the bench or flank off to the combo spot himself most of the time?


    Westbrook as the DEFENSIVE SG with a knack for loose balls/rebounds and at least the Fred Jones ability to drive to the rim for a score is fine with me. Move Dun for another pick (say PORT if possible) and let Westbrook see as much time as possible right away. Maybe he goes behind Quis or Rush or something to start, but ultimately you are placing him into this system.

    Also you could draft Love with an eye toward ultimately moving JO/Troy, and this should be a goal in a rebuild, then deal Mike to get a guy like Rush as your defensive SG.

    Maybe the awful to think about JO for Marbury fills the PG spot next year and then you address that issue. Maybe you trade Shawne for Lowry.

    PG - Marbury, Lowry, Diener
    SG - Quis, B Rush
    SF - Danny
    PF - Troy, Love
    C - Foster, Troy

    Then Marbury goes and either Lowry is working out or you look to make a move for that solution. By then Troy's deal is also movable. Draft a big, maybe sign a PG or SG and you have a ton of young talent with just a few vets sprinkled in, Danny being one of them by then.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-15-2008 at 01:16 PM.

  14. #1189
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    One thing again on Love and potential. The dude is a FRESHMAN. Everyone is willing to see improvement in all these other guys, but why not Love?

    Because he already plays a smart game? Sure, but since when was there a cap on that. To me learning and game smarts are skills just like jumping. When Love learns to pull the chair on guys in the post, learns even slicker ways to lock guys out on rebounds, how to draw fouls on offense, reading potential charge situations ala JO, etc he'll be even better.

    To me he's proven that he understands the game and can learn the game just as much as Rose proved he could score and dribble or Beasley proved he could go to either hand.

    Unlike some of these guys with physical abilites that have yet to be properly applied, Love has shown he can apply some of his NBA caliber skills to the game. You aren't crossing your fingers that he can translate his IQ test and SAT scores to the game like you are hoping a guy with a great vert and size can via "potential".

    He's already made good on some of his potential. He's not the only one, but I'm just saying that why hope that Thabeet can learn stuff he's yet to learn when Love has already proven that he can learn and improve at a young age?

  15. #1190
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,485

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the difference between a combo guard and a scoring PG who's between 6'2" and 6'4"? Gilbert Arenas was considered a combo guard coming out of college. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that a guy like Chauncey Billups was also. Really, any guard with decent but not ideal height gets labeled a combo guard coming out. Some guys learn to play PG and that's how we think of them, but they're not "pure" PG's like Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, etc. I'd bet that you could find some pundits who referred to Deron Williams as a combo guard because he mainly played off the ball in college.
    I see PG as old school/make guys around you better. Deron is a PG. AI and Arenas aren't. They do transcend their size cuz they can score and bunches, but they are much better when coupled with another guard who is a facilitator (Eric Snow in Phillie with AI.)

    I don't consider AI or Arenas as combo guards or a Point Guard by any stretch just because they are that size, they are undersized scorers.

    If you like Mayo or Eric Gordan at the next level, I think you like there scoring ability, regardless. I don't think you go into it and think they can run a team. Maybe Foye is the same way, we'll see.

    Chauncey is the main exception, but struggled mightily in the early going in his career until he made himself a true point guard, which is a complete mindset change from how these guys are the star of each of there respective teams their entire life. My point is, its really really hard to become a true Point Guard.

    Things you have to think about wit these combo guards, can they guard either position effectively on most nights? Can they lead a fast break or run the offense, unselfishly, putting their own scoring aside for the good of the team. Or conversely, can they get their shot off over bigger players at the 2 guard spot.

    I'm dating myself, but Shaun Respert was like college player of the year, but he was a college shooting guard who couldn't play big enough to play shooting guard at the NBA level and in no way would be confused with a point guard.

    Is Ben Gordan a combo guard or just a small scoring/shooting guard.

    I guess my whole point (pun intended) is that true Point Guards are really rare and the term Combo guard means nothing to me, if part of the combo is not a point guard who can run a team and sacrifice his glory for his teammates.

    I'd rather have a Jose Claderon vs a Marcus Banks, just for a tangible example.

    Fred Jones was about as far away from a Point Guard as you can get, I rather not revisit that whole deal again.

  16. #1191
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,485

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing again on Love and potential. The dude is a FRESHMAN. Everyone is willing to see improvement in all these other guys, but why not Love?

    Because he already plays a smart game? Sure, but since when was there a cap on that. To me learning and game smarts are skills just like jumping. When Love learns to pull the chair on guys in the post, learns even slicker ways to lock guys out on rebounds, how to draw fouls on offense, reading potential charge situations ala JO, etc he'll be even better.

    To me he's proven that he understands the game and can learn the game just as much as Rose proved he could score and dribble or Beasley proved he could go to either hand.

    Unlike some of these guys with physical abilites that have yet to be properly applied, Love has shown he can apply some of his NBA caliber skills to the game. You aren't crossing your fingers that he can translate his IQ test and SAT scores to the game like you are hoping a guy with a great vert and size can via "potential".

    He's already made good on some of his potential. He's not the only one, but I'm just saying that why hope that Thabeet can learn stuff he's yet to learn when Love has already proven that he can learn and improve at a young age?
    My biggest fear is Bird has already fallen in love with Love and will be duped to moving up to get him. I think his ceiling is lower for the reasons you state. He is smart, but he's not physically going to get any bigger, at least height wise.

    I suppose maybe he can really really bulk up and be a Boozer/Karl Malone type body, but I worry he's going to be a step slow and blocked shot waiting to happen, while guys shoot over and around him all day. He has the body to look like he may get really fat or really strong. He has tree trunk legs.

    I just don't see him more than a back up power forward playing 18 minutes a night, in his prime. And absolutely its too early to say that, but thats what we are looking at.

    Maybe I'm wrong, and smart is valuable at the next level, but can you see him guarding the other power forwards in the NBA, at all?

  17. #1192
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Ben Gordan a combo guard or just a small scoring/shooting guard.

    I guess my whole point (pun intended) is that true Point Guards are really rare and the term Combo guard means nothing to me, if part of the combo is not a point guard who can run a team and sacrifice his glory for his teammates.
    I agree with you for the most part. What the term "combo guard" means to me is "a guy who's too small to play shooting guard, but doesn't have traditional point guard skills."

    It's all a bit pointless as it's nothing more than a label. There aren't 30 highly talented "true" PG's in the world, so not every NBA team can have one. That's why you invent a term like "combo guard" so you can talk about guys like Monta Ellis, Leandro Barbosa, Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas, etc.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  18. #1193

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Combo guard? Simple explanation in today's basketball climate. It's a two-guard who has enough handle to bring the ball up the court.

    Players get this label not because they're short, but rather because they can dribble but can't run an offense.

    Edit: I don't really consider guys like Iverson or Arenas in this area. Those guys, and a few others, are special talents. There's no reason to pigeonhole them into any sort of term. AI is AI. Gil is Gil.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-15-2008 at 02:10 PM.

  19. #1194
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,023
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Combo guard? Simple explanation in today's basketball climate. It's a two-guard who has enough handle to bring the ball up the court.

    Players get this label not because they're short, but rather because they can dribble but can't run an offense.

    Edit: I don't really consider guys like Iverson or Arenas in this area. Those guys, and a few others, are special talents. There's no reason to pigeonhole them into any sort of term. AI is AI. Gil is Gil.
    So a combo guard can't be a special talent?

    Dumars was the best combo guard I can think of. Are you saying that a Combo Guard is a Guard whose best position is the off guard, but he can play the point?

    Ot is it that the guard is not a scorer, but can facilitate the offense when the point is out?

  20. #1195

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    intridcold-

    Good call on Dumars. He was the guy I thought of too when
    pondering the quintessential, 'combo' guy.

  21. #1196

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So a combo guard can't be a special talent?
    That's not what I'm saying. What I mean is that the term combo guard, nowadays, is used to describe the 99 percent of guards forced to bring the ball up the court because no one else on the team could. And most of those guys aren't real facilitators.

    Joe Dumars? Certainly a special talent. But there's just not many like him. Whereas, there's all sorts of true swingmen that can play the 2/3. And there's all sorts of forwards that can be effective off the bench at the 3/4 and 4/5. But real multi-dimensional guards? Mostly, my brain hurts watching a lot of the pretenders.

    And if you look around the country at the college ranks, it just shows how there's a real lack of players who can run an offense. Just look at my alma mater, Purdue. The Boilers, even in a largely successful season, used all sorts of players to bring the ball up the court because they just didn't have a true point.

    Down the road at IU, Armon Bassett wasn't too much the offense coordinator, either.

    So when it comes time for the draft, there ends up being a lot of guys that never really developed point guard skills. But since they dribbled the ball up the court in college ...

    Viola! A combo guard.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-15-2008 at 03:48 PM.

  22. #1197
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Dumars was the best combo guard I can think of.
    The Big O!

  23. #1198
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,336

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because a top 15 pick needs more than 8 minutes in his main role. JOB is still coach and if Mike is here he's the SG. The only reason you take W'brook with Mike here is because you plan to move him during the year or at the latest prior to the next draft.

    That's me, a guy who doesn't see W'brook as a PG.

    I also think you 100% cash out on Dun now while he's at the top of his game. He's redundent, he's NOT a defensive SG solution and Danny just showed that he's starting to feel comfortable as the #1 scoring option, including from 3.

    So Dun becomes a 3-4 assist extra Danny with little ability to defend the SG spot? How's that help this situation?

    OTOH he currently has value, not every team is sitting with a 3pt ace young star at SF. Not every team is riddled with defensive issues. Some of them could use A vet with lots of offensive punch.
    I'm not disagreeing with you that Dunleavy should be traded for the various reasons that you suggest. The problem is that I just don't think that any team is going to pay that much to get a player that is paid Starter $$$ that is best suited to be a 6th Man without giving us back something that we don't want or is somewhat equal in value.

    I completely agree with you that IF we have the opportunity to move Dunleavy, then we should. If he could be traded where we don't get back a useless player that not only fits some need that we have ( ie, perimeter defender, PG or Defensive Big Man ) but doesn't further erodes our Salary Cap situation, then no problem.......trade Dunleavy. I'm just realistic enough to realize that this ( more then likely ) won't happen. I'm not suggeting that we should keep Dunleavy cuz I like how he plays and how well he fits onto this team, I'm suggesting that we keep him cuz we won't have any choice but to keep him.

    But for argument's sake, approaching this from the "It's going to take time to get out from under this mess" POV, let's assume that we don't move Dunleavy ( which I don't think is likely ). If Dunleavy, Murphy, Tinsley and JONeal isn't moved....then what do you do?

    Draft the best player available?

    or

    Draft the best player at a position of need?

    At the 11th/12th spot, I don't think that any player that we draft at the 11th/12th spot is going to be good enough to immediately warrant playing significant playing time in their Rookie season. The key for me in drafting a player and then developing them is simply trying to find a minimal amount of consistent minutes for him to play. As I mentioned before, if we move Marquis ( which I think has a better chance of happening then moving Dunleavy ) and we don't resign any of our existing FA Guards ( Kareem and Flip ); then I don't see why we wouldn't anything more then a consistent 10-15 minutes as a Backup SG ( which I prefer to start Westbrook as ). This way, he can start getting his feet wet by getting consistent minutes as a Backup SG with the secondary objective of learning how to run the point. As long as that is a consistent set of minutes that he gets...regardless of how we are doing in the game...then I am okay with that in his rookie year. By the 2009-2010 season, we can then re-evaluate where we stand. At that point....assuming that Dunleavy continues his current performance....it maybe easier to move him.

    BTW....if Kevin Love is available at the 11th / 12th spot...then I agree with you...I would choose him over Westbrook.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-15-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  24. #1199
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    We can't choose Westbrook over Love. Westbrook can at the least be effective as a perimeter defender/penetrator - two things this team sorely lacks.

    And who knows, kid might develop some decent play-making skills/big scoring skills.

    Westbrook is a good pick on overall talent/potential

    I seriously doubt he falls to 13.
    Last edited by rexnom; 04-15-2008 at 05:26 PM.

  25. #1200

    Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

    I think we have to build for when JO isn't here. That could be this summer or when his contract runs out.

    The argument over perimeter defense vs. interior is insignifant. We just need defense and I might add a post presence outside of JO.


    I agree with you rexnom that westbrook will probably be gone. He has that upside that makes all the gms drool.

    I personally would take Love over Westbrook for just two reasons. He has size and is smart. Westbrook has so much more potential but to me the safest pick is Love.

    The best case scenario for me is to snag Love and Robin Lopez. I doubt it will happen but I can dream right.

    This would provide future interior D and and offense threat that could spread the floor for our sg/sf.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-15-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Good article on the draft
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
  2. Dunleavy, The Pacers, and Top Draft Picks
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •