Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

I've been specifically paying attention to top players this year for this reason. We had this going in another thread in fact if someone wants to dig the info out of that one too.

Right now the only player I feel really good about is Mayo. He's ready. I've only seen Gordon once myself and while I like him I'd like to see more and better.

Rose has the athletic talent but when I've seen him he's looked REALLY raw. That TEAM is strong, but he has not stood out just yet.

To me Chase Buddinger has a whole lot of Croshere to his game. He's a solid playmaker and can shoot, but he's not a take over type of guy that you'd take top 10 and he really doesn't solve the Pacers issues. They have Dunleavy already.

AZ other star, Bayless, was hurt when I last watched them. He had an injury in HS too according to draft.net.

Roy Hibbert
    gives you character since he chose to stay in school. That also means extra time on fundamentals. But the odd thing with him is that his game has slipped a bit and is rather underwhelming to me. But then again it reminds me of how Brad Miller finished up at Purdue, and he went on to be an all-star.

Kevin Love is damn impressive. Now he's no athlete and perhaps a bit undersized in a Sean May way. He won't tear up the low post in the NBA, at least not as is. BUT, he's a worker on the boards, modestly crafty, and by far the best outlet passer in the draft. In fact even in the half court he makes strong, long skip passes. He can find guys and get them the ball safely.

Love's teammate Collison...underwhelming. Haven't seen the vision from him in the few games I've watched. Gets himself into tough spots to pass from ala Fred Jones. Just not as ready as you'd like, and could never really click above modest backup. If a guy like Love is on the board I'd take him instead, in spite of "need".

I have to watch again because I wasn't looking for him specifically at the time, but I think it was Chalmers at Kansas that was really impressive the other day (had a good box, but I need to watch to be sure). Both he and Rush are interesting, and that team as a whole plays solid ball. Neither have declared that I know of but I would think either of them could after a title run.

For the same reason I think Douglas-Roberts and Dorsey at Memphis could also become interesting options. Like Kansas they win with quality all-around play and have several good athletes. I almost think Rose should stay more than some of these other players.

Any reason why Draft.net has Clark (Louisville) moved to 2009? Has he said he is staying next year, or just uncertain?

They moved Koufos (Ohio St) to 2009 but if you've seen him play you can see why. Not ready at least so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With a second round pick, I would love to see us draft Mike Green as a back-up pg. I realize this is a homer pick, but I think that he is going to be a solid NBA player...maybe never a starter, but he would be a humongous upgrade over our current backups. Regardless of whether we get a new starter in the draft, we need multiple pgs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Homer pick or not I believe he would be a solid second round pick.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Let's get the Rush brothers together.

Here's your chance to sincerely moan and cheer during the draft for a change. Games on TV

Note to watch -

1-12 ESPN has Georgetown (Hibbert) vs UConn (Thabeat)

1-17 Fox Sports Net has Stanford (Lopez) vs AZ (Bayless/Budinger)

1-19 has several matchup games:
    Kansas St (Beasley) vs Texas A&M (Jordan) on ESPN
    USC (Mayo) vs UCLA (Love-Collison) on CBS
    Tenn (T Smith) vs Ohio St (Koufos) on CBS

1-21 features Georgetown (Hibbert) vs Syracuse (Greene)

Upcoming TV games for some players via ESPN schedule:

IU-Gordon and White
    1-8 ESPN
    1-13 CBS
    1-17 ESPN

Memphis - Rose - Douglas-Roberts - Dorsey
    none in the next 10 days

Louisville - Clark (2009 pick now)
    1-10 ESPN
    1-17 ESPN

USC - Mayo and Jefferson
    1-10 FSN
    1-19 CBS

AZ - Budinger and Bayless
    1-12 ESPN2
    1-17 Fox Sports Net

UCLA - Love and Collison
    1-19 CBS

Georgetown - Hibbert
    1-12 ESPN
    1-14 ESPN
    1-21 ESPN

OK - Griffin
    1-14 ESPN

Syracuse - Greene
    1-19 ESPN
    1-21 ESPN

Texas A&M - Jordan
    1-16 ESPN2
    1-19 ESPN

Kansas St - Beasley
    1-19 ESPN

Tenn - Smith
    1-17 ESPN2
    1-19 CBS

Stanford - Lopez
    1-13 CBS
    1-17 FSN

UConn - Thabeat
    1-12 ESPN

Ohio St - Koufos
    1-15 ESPN
    1-19 CBS

Note that I don't have Kansas listed at all here, though I did mention them as a team to watch. This is just basically the guys at the top of Draft.net and they only have the unimpressive Kaun listed in the 2008 draft right now. Of course you'll get your fill of both Kansas and Memphis during the NCAA tourney.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I normally don't go along with homer crap, actually I'm anti-homer and like to draft out of town players.

But our attendance is terrible, and the fact that this sad reality coincides with a potential superstar coming out of IU this year gives TPTB an opportunity that they need to harness. I'd trade anyone on our team for Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    You know what I would hate? For the Pacers to somehow get the 4th pick in the draft and have Beasley, Rose and Gordon, be the first three picks.

Haha! After thinking about that I realized I'm kidding myself, I'd love to have the 4th pick in the draft even if that happened.
    I know Mayo's attitude was in question but I'm not so sure that's a problem now. He might have some Kobe to him, but I'm not sure he's going to be a legal issue like the Pacers have been dealing with.

As much as Dun is a team player I think Mayo would quickly have fans wanting him to start and either Dun or Danny to be moved to make room. Of course it's early, let's see his impact closer to tourney time. Prima donna or clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I normally don't go along with homer crap, actually I'm anti-homer and like to draft out of town players.

But our attendance is terrible, and the fact that this sad reality coincides with a potential superstar coming out of IU this year gives TPTB an opportunity that they need to harness. I'd trade anyone on our team for Gordon.
    Yeah, but the hard fact we all know is that a top 5 pick seems really unlikely no matter what method to get it is tried. At least with Gordon, unlike Alford, it wouldn't be a reach.

How about Love over White instead to again upset IU fans with a UCLA over IU pick. I'd take it.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip View Post
    I don't see anyway possible Gordon could get picked over Mayo.
    Because Mayo can't even lead his team thru non conference without 3 losses? Or maybe because he hasn't even led his team to a W yet in conference play? OR because of the perceived character issues? OR MAYBE because he's a streaky shooter that has his great days and always has his horrible days.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This years draft is going to rival 03 and 96.

Can't miss stars (assuming all the freshman declare):
    OJ Mayo
    Derrick Rose
    Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    am i the onlly person that see's a size issue with him?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip View Post
    Even if Gordon leads IU to the ncaa championship he won't get drafted over Mayo.
    Homer much?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    To me Chase Buddinger has a whole lot of Croshere to his game. He's a solid playmaker and can shoot, but he's not a take over type of guy that you'd take top 10 and he really doesn't solve the Pacers issues. They have Dunleavy already.
    Yup. His ceiling is a poor, poor man's Corey Maggette. Whoever takes him will be pretty disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth
    Kevin Love is damn impressive. Now he's no athlete and perhaps a bit undersized in a Sean May way. He won't tear up the low post in the NBA, at least not as is. BUT, he's a worker on the boards, modestly crafty, and by far the best outlet passer in the draft. In fact even in the half court he makes strong, long skip passes. He can find guys and get them the ball safely.
    I love Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth
    I have to watch again because I wasn't looking for him specifically at the time, but I think it was Chalmers at Kansas that was really impressive the other day (had a good box, but I need to watch to be sure). Both he and Rush are interesting, and that team as a whole plays solid ball. Neither have declared that I know of but I would think either of them could after a title run.
    SuperNintendo Chalmers and Rush are both gonna be good pros. Rush especially. He has mini-Paul Pierce/Caron Butler potential.

Also...how has Ty Lawson not been mentioned yet? Yall should be embarrassed. He's exactly who we need.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I like BEasley and Gordon. I agree with Seth that Rose has some polish to do. If he stayed in one more year that may be the best thing for him.

Batum???? Lopez????

I love this kid.

Serge IbakaCongo

Birthday:9/18/1989
    NBA Postion:PF/C
    Class:N/A
    Ht:6-10
    Wt:220
    Int Team:LHospitalet
    Hometown:Congo
    High School:N/A

NBA Comparison: Shawn Kemp
    Strengths: A tremendous athlete blessed with insane length and leaping ability ... Conjures up memories of Shawn Kemp. Ibaka reportedly had a higher vertical than any of the players drafted in the 2007 draft. Which is extremely unusual for a taller player ... Despite his immense physical gifts, Ibaka hustles at all times and works hard on his game showing a lot of improvement in a short time ... He's currently playing in Spain for L'Hospitalet ... Has solid footwork in the post, and an improving turn around jumper ... He can even extend out to the 3 pt line and knock down shots on occaision ... Has the tools to become a first round pick in the next year, as he is not far from having an NBA ready body, and plays hard ... He's relentless on the boards and his length and athleticism makes him a formidable shot blocker ... Has good touch on his shot, and solid mechanics, he just needs to become more comfortable with his offensive game so it becomes second nature ...

Weaknesses: Coming from the Congo, his age may come into question ... He appears to be young and at least close to his listed age so it likely won't be to big a deterrant, but teams are normally wary of the age of young African players who seem "too good to be true". But unlike some other recent African draft picks who did not play NCAA ball (Saer Sene, Malick Badiane and Desagana Diop) Ibaka is already showing offensive abilities ... Ibaka also needs to work hard on his skills, while he shows nice potential with his ball skills and post moves, they are far from refined ... Learning a few moves that he can consistently go to in the post will greatly improve his offesnive abilities ... Needs to add some muscle to his frame. Right now, he's too lean and will get pushed around under the basket ... But he's still very young, and appears to be able to put weight on without any problems ... At the adidas Global camp in New Orleans, Ibaka suffered with cramps, so staying hydrated and improving on his stamina are important ...

He appears to have an offensive game. Folks I know that the unknown is intriguing and often overrated. But this kid seems different. Raw talent with and offensive game. Too bad we can't see him in FIBA cause he played junior ball with the congo. France is out of the question.

I don't see the Pacers picking him up. Tim Duncan caught my eye his sophmore year and I have followed him since, I might just do the same with this kid.

From the Boston Globe:

Rivers said he has an "amazing amount of respect" for Boston College coach Al Skinner for developing three NBA players: Charlotte rookie forward Jared Dudley, New Jersey rookie forward Sean Williams, and Timberwolves forward Craig Smith. Dudley made his Boston pro debut last night.

"All of the guys that go in come out to be players," Rivers said. "It's not a coincidence. There are schools that are clear to me, in my opinion, that turn out to be, because of the way they play and the way they are coached, that have an upper hand with their players.
    "Al plays rough, tough defense like the NBA. They're physical and he's a big coach on execution. One of the things a lot of players struggle to do on this end is execute and read. [BC players] seem to all know how to do that."
    Dudley entered last night averaging 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds, and did not score in three minutes. When asked about Skinner's influence on preparing him for the NBA, Dudley said, "We're not buddy-buddy. We don't talk on the phone all the time. I talked to him very rarely at the school. He gives you that coach relationship you're going to have in the NBA. When people come to our practices now, [they say] it could be a joke because you don't do a lot of running. That's how it is in the NBA. We shoot a lot and we scrimmage here and there. That's what we do.
    "He prepared me for the NBA life, practices. You have to make your own work ethic. For someone that's lazy, you're not going to be good at BC and you're not going to be good after."

Tyrese Rice from Boston College in the second round!

Banned

You can just look at the stat sheet and tell this guy has a special overall game. 5.6 rebounds and 3.6 assists in only 26 minutes? Wow. His FG% has blown up, his 3 point shot looks improved, and his turnovers are way down. And he's known as a very good defender who plays with great passion and intensity. I've seen others compare him to Ron Artest, and I can definitely see the comparison. And with his size and athleticism, he could almost certainly be a SG in the NBA. Right now he's #13 in NBADraft.net's 2008 draft, and we're picking #12. If we can't get one of the "big name" players, this guy looks like he'd be a nice consolation prize. Provided he declares.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

If anyone wants to witness the range of EJ take a look at the Film Session thread on the front page of http://www.insidethehall.com/ today. Its a good little IU web page for the die hard fans. Give it a look if you get a chance, you'll be impressed.

Kofi-

There is a critical difference between Smith and Artest. About 35
    pounds of natural, very dense (which is why he looks 230-235, but
    weighs more like 255) muscle.

And he's a SF isn't he ?

Anyone see that Kenny George guy on UNC Asheville? 7'7"+ 360lbs! Dude would make Shaq look small.

He's got a long injury history, but man talk about a cog in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    Anyone see that Kenny George guy on UNC Asheville? 7'7"+ 360lbs! Dude would make Shaq look small.

He's got a long injury history, but man talk about a cog in the middle.
    Yeah, but then Tyler H dunked on him. 2 hands no less. Not quite cog material on that one.

Reppin the 317

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This years draft is going to rival 03 and 96.

Can't miss stars (assuming all the freshman declare):
    OJ Mayo
    Derrick Rose
    Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    Michael Beasley
    Donte Green

Guys with slightly more risk, but star potential:
    DeAndre Jordan
    Blake Griffin
    Nicolas Batum
    Chase Buddinger
    Roy Hibbert
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Darren Collison
    Brooke Lopez

Those 14 guys are going to make huge impacts wherever they go.
    Assuming we keep our lottery bound pick, we need to get Beasely, Gordon, or Roy Hibbert. If JO decides to not pick up the 20M player option on the table, then we need to get Beasely...try and trade a package of Tinsley and 2nd rounders for another lotto pick and pick up Eric Gordon...how sweet would that look for the future...

PG- Eric Gordon
    SG- Danny Granger
    SF- Shawne Williams
    PF- Ike Diogu
    C- Michael Beasely

Ok, maybe the Gordon part was just me getting carried away, but I'm serious about getting Michael Beasely with our pick. JO is going downhill now, and I can't find a better young C who has the potential to be great than him.

Just a bump on the games today, maybe too late for people. I Tivo'd the USC/WS game but did watch some if it. To me Mayo is fine but Floyd and that team overall are not that good. I don't think you judge Mayo on carrying that roster.

Right now I'm recording the big UConn/G'town game and then AZ/Houston, return of Bayless.

It's too bad that Gordon is moving up and out of Pacers range. No different than if the Pacers had kept their pick last year and watched Conley go long before their pick came up.

I caught just a small bit of Lopez (Stanford) the other day. My early impression is that he's got a dash of Noah to him in how he moves. Not sure if that's good or bad as Noah himself has yet to prove himself one way or the other.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-12-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait though, I'm expecting the P's to drop way down in the standings and so insure themselves more "ping-pong balls" in this year's lottery. Who knows what could happen.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

ej is worth much more to this team than what beasley would be

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Homerly speaking Ej is the way to go. But if you have not watched Beasley then you are missing Kemp reincarnated (without the junk).

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Wait though, I'm expecting the P's to drop way down in the standings and so insure themselves more "ping-pong balls" in this year's lottery. Who knows what could happen.
    Our luck, we will finish 11th, and then the three teams behind us will get lucky in the lottery and get the first three picks and push us back to 14th and a good player will slip to 13th.

I'll just reiterate what I said earlier in this thread in post #19.
    I didn't see anything in the Arizona-Houston game to change
    my mind.

My dream draft would be:

1st Round:PG Eric Gordon Indiana
    2nd Round:C Kenny George UNCA (7'8)

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

ATTENTION: Just in case no one is aware, there is one of the bigger college basketball games of the year on tomorow on CBS. IU vs. Illinois is showing at 4:30... if no one knows the story, there is a lot of bad blood between the programs 1) bc most Illinois fans are smug little punks 2) the White vs Pruitt matchup and 3) the whole story of how Gordon "decomitted" from his verbal agreement with U of I to come to IU and how the whole state of Illinois is super bitter bc they missed out on having the best player in the NCAA this year on their team. A lot of people (Illini fans) have expressed a lot of negativity torwards Gordon and Sampson this year and though the two may say it is just another Big Ten game, don't believe it for a second. Look for It to be really physical matchup with EJ putting up a hell of a show. This game should be only second to the 2/7 game AT Illinois where IU will face its most antagonistic crowd of the year for sure. Anyone who is an IU fan or is interested in seeing DJ and EJ perform who normally can't because of the Big Ten Network Nazis should tune in for some hardcore NCAA action following the Colts domination of the Chahhgahs. ...oh yea, Go Pacers???

Kenny George is a waste of height. I can't believe you guys just want another David Harrison on the team.