Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tough game for Augustin, but you never judge a player based on one game. The fact is, Texas isn't a very talented team outside of D.J., whereas Memphis is stacked.
    I hadn't realized how little he was until I saw him playing against all those Memphis guys who all have 19-foot wingspans. DJ looked outclassed out there. Couldn't find anyway to score. Couldn't finish at the rim. Couldn't even really blow by anyone. Tough to judge him on one game, but I didn't see much Big 12 this year so....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I hadn't realized how little he was until I saw him playing against all those Memphis guys who all have 19-foot wingspans. DJ looked outclassed out there. Couldn't find anyway to score. Couldn't finish at the rim. Couldn't even really blow by anyone. Tough to judge him on one game, but I didn't see much Big 12 this year so....
    Well then you can't really have a valid opinion on him. He just took a team of scrubs to the Elite 8. That's impressive enough for me.
    Last edited by Kofi; 03-30-2008 at 07:22 PM.

That happens a lot to a whole lot of prospects people look at.

Well then you can't really have a valid opinion on him. He just took a team of scrubs to the Elite 8. That's impressive enough for me.
    That's definitely true and he deserves his props for taking his team as far as he did, but the truth is that the type of guards he's going to face in the NBA are going to look a lot more like the ones from Memphis than the ones from Stanford.

That's no knock on him, tho. He's going to be in the NBA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't call Abrams a scrub...

I do agree on principle though. I'm not going to judge DJ based off this game. I though Rose was getting away with ALOT particularly in the first half.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Well then you can't really have a valid opinion on him.
    I don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    That's definitely true and he deserves his props for taking his team as far as he did, but the truth is that the type of guards he's going to face in the NBA are going to look a lot more like the ones from Memphis than the ones from Stanford.
    Yes, but in the NBA he'll have quality teammates to take the pressure off of him, so it evens itself out.

I think he can certainly have a valid opinion on him. He doesn't have to be a certified NBA scout to have a valid opinion. He saw the man play basketball and then formulated an opinion based on that. I'd say that's valid. Yes, it's JayRedd...but still, valid nonetheless.

Your arrogance is wearing really thin. I enjoy reading your opinion on prospects, but quit acting like you are the only one here with any basketball knowledge.

C'mon, you guys didn't know that Kofi is Marty Blake's
    PD handle ?

Yes, but in the NBA he'll have quality teammates to take the pressure off of him, so it evens itself out.
    Of course, that applies to everyone.

But if he can't drive around a defender, he can't drive around a defender. There's not a lot your teammates can do for you in that regard, especially if you're the PG. I mean, you're the guy people are relying on to do most of the creating.

From where the Pacers are picking they need to go with a big man.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I do not think D James will get drafted. We should def give him an invite to participate in summer ball.

I hope we can land D Rose the kid will be a better pro than Beasely IMO. I heard Bird say Beasely is hands down the best player in college in an interview. So if we land the number one pick he will draft Beasely over Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I do not think D James will get drafted. We should def give him an invite to participate in summer ball.

I hope we can land D Rose the kid will be a better pro than Beasely IMO. I heard Bird say Beasely is hands down the best player in college in an interview. So if we land the number one pick he will draft Beasely over Rose.
    I hope not, but you're probably right. Rose is an awesome PG, and I hold steadfast to the belief that a franchise PG is much harder to come by than another wing player.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 03-31-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    From where the Pacers are picking they need to go with a big man.

Maybe, I'm just being impatient right now and big men take such a long time to acclaimate. I really don't want them to reach for Thabeet or Hibbert and watch them ride the bench for 3 years.

I'm thinking the best prospect thats a non small forward. Any time I see teams draft for need they usually seem to passover a better player, it seems.

Of course if your sold on a Love type at the next level, he's already basketball smarter than half the guys in the league now, so I guess it depends.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I heard him say that too, but Rose is getting his air-time now, & at the EOD, adding another SF over a PG is not smart - unless he thinks Beasley is the next "IT". If so, Granger needs moved & the question them becomes:
    "Is what Granger could bring in return better then Rose?"
    I say very doubtful, & I like Rose better. (+ there are some "character issues" questions w/ Beasley from what I've heard)
    Besides:
    Ask Atlanta how picking hype over skill & need worled out for them!
    Larry, Do not make the M.Williams/ C.Paul mistake - Rose will be a star!

(lets pray we have the opportunity to worry about such a choice!)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

no way in hell we get a shot at drafting rose or beasley. we probably won't even be picking top 8. it sucks being stuck in no mans land.

honestly i'm on the Danilo Gallinari bandwagon

Danilo ! Danilo ! Danilo !

Hey, if we take him, at least maybe they'll upgrade the conscession
    stand pizza down at Conseco !

Seriously though, isn't he probably just another SF (who, being a
    Euro dude, probably can't defend to save his life) ?

Lots of love for Love recently on the board. I don't see him as a top 10 choice for us, maybe someone else. I do like his game as he reminds me of a young version of Bill Laimbeer. Can pass, shoot, rebound and is a smart player, but I don't think we need him and Murph both. Dissimilar yet too similar game styles.

IMO we need to:
    1) make a few major trades on draft day to get multiple 1st round picks before #15 and one needs to be top 3 with the ultimate goal of it being top 2
    2) with those major moves, no one and I mean no one on our current roster should be exempt
    3) Rose is our #1 priority in the top 2 scenario
    4) we clean up the logjam at SF with these moves
    5) we give whatever new players we bring in the playing time to mature. I don't care if they are rookies and we lose 65 games, I want to see development of our future.

Lets face it, if JO/Quis/Tinman/Murph stay for next season, they'll get significant playing time so that the Pacers can have the "best" team on the floor. Well it's time for the "best" team to take a backseat for our future imo. Look at how Philly and Portland's young players have responded to getting minutes. How do we accomplish this? We need to move those 4 or significant parts of those 4 along with anyone else necessary to facilitate starting a new team direction.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerzfan View Post
    Lots of love for Love recently on the board. I don't see him as a top 10 choice for us, maybe someone else. I do like his game as he reminds me of a young version of Bill Laimbeer. Can pass, shoot, rebound and is a smart player, but I don't think we need him and Murph both. Dissimilar yet too similar game styles.

IMO we need to:
    1) make a few major trades on draft day to get multiple 1st round picks before #15 and one needs to be top 3 with the ultimate goal of it being top 2
    2) with those major moves, no one and I mean no one on our current roster should be exempt
    5) we give whatever new players we bring in the playing time to mature. I don't care if they are rookies and we lose 65 games, I want to see development of our future.

Lets face it, if JO/Quis/Tinman/Murph stay for next season, they'll get significant playing time so that the Pacers can have the "best" team on the floor. Well it's time for the "best" team to take a backseat for our future imo. Look at how Philly and Portland's young players have responded to getting minutes. How do we accomplish this? We need to move those 4 or significant parts of those 4 along with anyone else necessary to facilitate starting a new team direction.

Thoughts?
    I completely agree, but do they have the assets to move up that far. If you can move into the top two, but you have to trade Granger, is that a step forward.

Concept wise I think you are right, but I just don't know if they have the juice to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerzfan View Post

IMO we need to:

Thoughts?
    I agree with this post 100%. I love danny granger but if he has to be one of the ones to go, so be it. Our team is not constructed to win the way we are now.

tim
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Speed-

It's worth it to net Rose. Otherwise, no. DG is all we have that anyone
    up in the top-2-3 might theoretically want. But even those teams
    surely wouldn't part with a top-2 pick for DG. We'd have to cough
    up SG + a future 1st and even then, given that SF's like DG can be
    had every year in the draft, it likely wouldn't get it done.

Bottom line, we can forget Rose.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I completely agree, but do they have the assets to move up that far. If you can move into the top two, but you have to trade Granger, is that a step forward.

Concept wise I think you are right, but I just don't know if they have the juice to pull it off.

I agree that we need to get a quality PG like Rose. He is showing that he is a guarantee Starter at the minimum. To move up there would have to be a three way deal sending JO to a team and taking poor contracts and sending a prospect to MINN for example. Then we would have to send our pick and a player like Shawne. Depending how good the prospect sent by the third team we might be able to send Foster or Diogu.

Or maybe sending Foster and Daniels to a third team and taking back a poor contract and sending a prospect to a Minn.

Or maybe sending Shawne this years pick and next years 1st pick top 5 protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

That would depend on who gets the top two picks. For instant if Portland got really lucky, and they have less of a change than we currently would, they would probably deal. Other teams there would be nothing we could offer them.

Another thing we should root for is Dallas making the playoffs. New Jersey has their pick as long as it's not lottery. If NJ has two picks we might me able to get one via trade, but it would be much harder if they have only their own.

The only way we have a top three pick is if the Lottery Balls bounce our way. I have faith; but believe If we did land in the top three Stern would call the New York Knicks as our ball much like the coin toss with Jerome Bettis on Thanksgiving Day.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    I hope not, but you're probably right. Rose is an awesome PG, and I hold steadfast to the belief that a franchise PG is much harder to come by than another wing player.
    I agree with this. But it's not relevant. We're not going to have the chance to choose.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!