Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One needs only look back at my past claims to see my credibility is phenomenal. In fact, I'd argue my ability to evaluate talent is as good as any NBA scouts.

Um, I didn't even realize a pissing match was breaking out, but how can we know what your past claims on previous drafts were in order to recognize your talent evaluation?

I hate crap like this. I thought a group of us were just wanting to shoot the s*** about prospects and perhaps make a better effort to keep close tabs (at least in my case) than in the past since the team itself wasn't offering as much excitement lately.

But apparently it's a big audition to prove to the secret Pacers trolls that we deserve a paycheck?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

For the real discussion...

Great chance to find out about C. Lee tonight. I'd expect him to see a good deal of Westbrook trying to guard him which is about as close as he'll come to facing an NBA caliber defender (not Weaver, but still).

So let's see how he fares in that situation, and see if he takes anything away from Shipp/Westbrook at the other end.

Speaking of Weaver - here's your chance to see him vs an elite team. He won't go against Psycho T but overall he will be presented with plenty of chances to show that he can stop or at least bother high caliber players (which he's already done before).

Love climbing - to me it's as simple as the latest ESPN piece. He's not a jumper, not quick, and has slight knee concerns, so it was just assumed he'd be nothing much. As a freshman how could scouts have any idea beyond that.

But since playing he just keeps making these really smart plays and showing an overall quality of play that suggests that he can maximize his talent and has awareness that's through the roof.

If Thabeet played like Love he'd be the #1 pick.

Clark vs Smith - Clark's stock remains good, though he never stands out when I watch L'ville. But Smith is slipping back. I like both but each seems like a risk of journeyman swing/big at this point. It will be nice to perhaps see them against each other at times if we get lucky.

And I'll keep a close eye on W Va this time.

You know other than my bracket interests, I could care less who wins these games. I just want to see the prospects in action. I'm an NBA fan pretending to like college ball I guess.

Seth... I might have missed it but how do you feel about Augustine. Did you read the espn article about him & his mom posted earlier. I am growing more fond of him every day. Maybe it is because I am watching to much Chris Paul and want my own version.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    Three questions for whoever.

We are all talking about the bigs and point guards. So do you think a swingman is out of the question?

Me, I think so. I think you have to take a big or a point guard. Maybe you can take a Eric Gordon or OJ Mayo or the Bayless kid but I look at the bigs and DJ.

The other question is do you think Larry Bird will stay away from swingmen and draft with need in mind?

Then there is a third question. To me in terms of the point guards it's only DJ. Collison is a nice late first-early second round pick. Same with Lawson. DJ should be a top 15 pick.

Here is my question regarding DJ. Would you take him, someone who to me is likely to be a very nice pro like Jameer Nelson, or would you take a Hasheem Thabeet or DeAndre Jordan big who are very talented but also very raw. I think this is a decision Bird will face. What would you do?
    A lot of it will depend on the players desire and commitment. No more head cases or
    players that are not self motivated.

Without knowing any of the above the following players would head up my list based on where the Pacers will pick, probably number 10.

Love, Thabeet, Augustine, Stephen Curry?,Westbrook,McGee. I do not want Gordon for various reasons.
    All the other guards will be gone at 10.
    Last edited by owl; 03-27-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Seth... I might have missed it but how do you feel about Augustine. Did you read the espn article about him & his mom posted earlier. I am growing more fond of him every day. Maybe it is because I am watching to much Chris Paul and want my own version.
    Paul is literally about a once in every 20 years PG. He's just that good. Augustin will have a place in the NBA, but he's probably going to be a lot closer to Jameer Nelson than Paul.

Hell, I bet if you were to pull up some of Nelson's numerous feel good articles from 2003/2004, you could probably substitute Augustin's name in for Nelson and they'd pretty much turn into the identical articles that we're now reading about Augustin.

now i don't watch a lot of college ball, hardly any in fact. but could someone do a quick sum up of a comparison between Love and Thabeet?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love: Unathletic but extremely smart and basketball savvy.

Thabeet: Extremely athletic but unintelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post

Because LB has stated numerous times that he wants an exciting team, I'm guessing he 'd pick the second over the first and has Thabeet ranked higher than Love then.

Naptime, what are your impressions of Boston College's own Tyrese Rice?

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Paul is literally about a once in every 20 years PG. He's just that good. Augustin will have a place in the NBA, but he's probably going to be a lot closer to Jameer Nelson than Paul.

Hell, I bet if you were to pull up some of Nelson's numerous feel good articles from 2003/2004, you could probably substitute Augustin's name in for Nelson and they'd pretty much turn into the identical articles that we're now reading about Augustin.

I would be happy with a Nelson type player and know how special Paul is I personally could not believe he went 4th in the draft that year I would have jumped all over him if I was the Raptors. But you never know DJ may exploide on the seen in the NBA and I can dream he turns into the next CP3

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    I would be happy with a Nelson type player and know how special Paul is I personally could not believe he went 4th in the draft that year I would have jumped all over him if I was the Raptors. But you never know DJ may exploide on the seen in the NBA and I can dream he turns into the next CP3
    The Raptors I believe had the 7th and 16th picks and I'm sure they offered them both to move up to either #3 or #4 in the draft but were probably denied.

They were probably looking to get one of the elite PGs, but the teams already in position to get them were simply not going to pass up the oppurtunity.

I think Augustin will be a fine PG. Not in the Paul/Williams echelon, but he'll make some team happy.

Paul slid to #4 because ATL was clueless and took Marvin Williams
    instead at #2. Ya think that maybe Billy Knight would like to have
    that one back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Paul slid to #4 because ATL was clueless and took Marvin Williams
    instead at #2. Ya think that maybe Billy Knight would like to have
    that one back.
    That is very true, but then again, if they landed the #1 or 2 pick in this past draft, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. With Paul there, there would be no way they'd be bad enough for a shot at one of the top 2 picks.

Remember, Portland passed up on Paul and Williams too. They traded out of the #3 pick down to #6 to get Webster.

If Portland had Paul, no way do they get both Aldridge and Oden in subsequent drafts. They would have been too good. Instead of those two guys, they'd probably have something along the lines of Saer Sene and Al Thornton.

If Atlanta lucked out the way Portland did, then maybe they wouldn't be saying passing on Paul was a fatal mistake. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Well we know that won't happen, as only the first 3 picks are truely "Lottery Picks", & after that (4-13) it is by record.
    If we do not score a top 3, we will likely be picking from 8-11 (9-10 most likely, & where we are currently). Of the players projected there (Our projected pick highlighted):

When I posted about getting the 4th pick I was just moaning about how even if we had good luck, it would probably be the worst possible good luck. I know we can only move up to the top three.

However, after the way we let every point guard with a little speed drive the lane, I'm pretty happy with where we are likely to finish since we will probably have a shot at a quick point. (Augustin, Collison)

What I'd really like though is to get at least two lottery picks so we could pick a point and a center.

I sometimes play around with draft and trade scenarios just to see how it would improve our lineup. Early this morning I was playing around with this scenario.

It's rumored one of the reasons New Jersey wants JO is because his contract expires the same year Labron James' does. Thus NJ would be enough under the cap they could sign James. Plus we know James has friends there and wouldn't be adverse to moving to the big apple. (NJ is moving to Brooklyn)

NJ got two draft picks from Dallas in the Kidd trade. One this year which is lottery protected and another in 09 or 2010 depending on a bunch of if's.

So assuming Dallas isn't in this years lottery and NJ is, I think we could get at least one of those picks from them, maybe both depending on the trade.

Right now I think Atlanta is going to get the 8th playoff spot in the east unless the return of JO somehow gets us by them. Even then it doesn't matter that much since we will still be picking in the same vicinity. (10-15)

Say we trade JO and either Williams or Ike to NJ for Carter and Hassell, and their two first round picks. (Either trade works both this year and next)

We would then have 3 picks in the vicinity of 9-17. We could probably then draft Augustin, Love, and Thabeet. I'd love that draft!

Other possibilities are if Memphis gets the 2nd pick. I don't see them keeping it and drafting Rose, not with three young point guards already on the team. So it's possible we could trade NJ's picks to Memphis and draft Rose with their pick and Love with our pick. I'd love that draft too.

Yeah, 'SIGH' I know I'm dreaming! Neither of those scenario's is likely.

Anyway here's who I like with the picks we are likely to have or obtain. Dreams picks included.

Pick's 1-3, Rose, Bayless, and B. Lopez. I think if we got #1 we would trade it and still wind up with one of the three I named.

Pick's 9-14, Augustin, Love.

Picks 15-18, Thabeet, Collison.

Picks 39-45, Robin Lopez was in this vicinity, but Ford has moved him way up on his top 100. He might stay in school for another year if he doesn't move into the first round. I don't have any other favorites here.

We will probably wind up with picks 11 and 41. Why? Because that's a worse case scenario.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-27-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The Raptors I believe had the 7th and 16th picks and I'm sure they offered them both to move up to either #3 or #4 in the draft but were probably denied.

They were probably looking to get one of the elite PGs, but the teams already in position to get them were simply not going to pass up the oppurtunity.

I think Augustin will be a fine PG. Not in the Paul/Williams echelon, but he'll make some team happy.
    I had the wrong draft the bucks had the #1 and took Bogut that year Raptors had the #1 the next year and got the Euro Belinelli.

Who we take will largely depend on what happens before the draft, concerning JO,Williams and JT. I could see where we might trade Williams with JT (about 8M) for a shooting guard. It all depends on what we get back, and JO with his monster salary will change our entire team because we will most likely get up to 3 players back . I don't expect Rush , Graham or Owens back. Flip maybe.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Who we take will largely depend on what happens before the draft, concerning JO,Williams and JT. I could see where we might trade Williams with JT (about 8M) for a shooting guard. It all depends on what we get back, and JO with his monster salary will change our entire team because we will most likely get up to 3 players back . I don't expect Rush , Graham or Owens back. Flip maybe.
    If we trade JO to New Jersey we will get a shooting guard, Carter.

So assuming Dallas isn't in this years lottery and NJ is, I think we could get at least one of those picks from them, maybe both depending on the trade.

As goofy as it sounds, Dallas actually has a pretty decent chance of falling to the lottery this year. Take a look at the West standings - especially factoring in that they'll be without Dirk for another week or two, the Mavs are almost out of the playoffs already. It doesn't look good for them.

I really still don't understand why we take on VC's contract. MAYBE if you can get a lottery pick from New Jersey, maybe then you do it.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    If we trade JO to New Jersey we will get a shooting guard, Carter.

I would hope that TPTB watched how horrible VC was in the 1st half and isn't enamored by his 2nd half performance with Shawne and Marquis guarding him with Granger sitting with his 5 fouls.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

I would hope that TPTB watched how horrible VC was in the 1st half and isn't enamored by his 2nd half performance with Shawne and Marquis guarding him with Granger sitting with his 5 fouls.

I'm not enamored with Carter either and would rather keep JO than trade him for Carter. However, I could live with that trade if it included a first rounder or two. The one thing Carter would give us is a finisher. Plus he would be a lot easier to trade than JO.

Alright, who saw what happened to the UCLA offense once Collison fouled out tonight? I love the three-pass, no-dribble method to get the ball across halfcourt, but that was ... well, they should be glad WKU didn't know how to handle it. A more fundamental team would've made them bring it up every time and run the offense -- and the Bruins wouldn't have been able to do that very well without Collison.

Moving on ...

Honestly, if Bird picked a player like Thabeet over Love, it'd be like he turned on basketball. Love is everything you look for in a player except the physical attributes, and even those aren't that bad. I think we need a moratorium on stupid players -- no more Diogu, White, Tinsley, Harrison, etc., type players.

Why do basically all of us like Dunleavy and Foster? Because they really know how to play the game. They have limitations, both in talent and body, but we want to keep them around because they're smart.

I want more of those. Eventually, you'll get ones that are athletic, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post

This is never a perfect way to judge them and its not a pure comparison, but

Love=Brad Miller

Thabeet=Theo Ratliffe

Thing that concerns you is I think Love is shorter than Brad so you wonder how it all computes at the next level. Thabeet has been invisible at times in college, you can tell his teammates don't trust him offensively with the ball, at all, unless its an alley oop dunk. I mean I really don't know, just my 2 cents.

Banned

I'd take Thabeet. Please forgive me for being skeptical of a short, fat PF.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So who do we like in the second round? We get a pretty early second round pick that could do some good. I vote for a guy like Demarcus Nelson from Duke. Or maybe a guy like Shan Foster.
    Last edited by DGPR; 03-28-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin