Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Banned

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Paul is "listed" at 6'1" and measured out at 5'11.75" w/o shoes at the combine (may have grown slightly).

Whether you want to "list" Augustin at 6' or 5'11", my guess is this guy measures out around 5'10" w/o shoes. I don't know for sure, I'm just using my eyes here and I don't think this guy is even as tall as Paul.
    Everything I've read has Paul measured at 6', 175, including his NBA.com bio. His outdated, pre-draft NBADraft.net bio has him listed at just 5'11". Augustin has been listed at 5'11" or 6', 180 lb. everywhere I've looked. I'm willing to bet he and Paul are close to identical in size.

Augustine is big enough to function in today's NBA with the rules
    on the perimeter as they are. Adding him to the existing mix would
    leave the Pacers 2-3 more years of development of Williams as a
    PF and a defense/rebounding oriented C away from being a pretty
    damn, good ball club capable (given that both DET and BOS will be
    aging rapidly by then) of competing in the EC for a shot at all the
    marbles.

Why isn't Joe Alexander from WVU not getting any draft hype?

What about Robin Lopez?

Probably not a lottery pick right now. I don't see the Pacers taking him. However I think he would be a first round pick.

Really could be a nice defender in the NBA. Could use more seasoning in college. Robin and Joe A, as someone mentioned above, are nice prospects that no one talks about.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

R. Lopez probably will stay in college for one more year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'd be interested in R. Lopez with our 2nd round pick. Right now Ford has him at 40 in his top 100.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    R. Lopez probably will stay in college for one more year.
    Yeah, I think this has been considered a certainty all year.

I like Augustin, but I think Bayless shows more potential to handle the rock like Paul. Augustin is steady, but not superstar potential as far as I can see. Obviously anyone can break out, but you don't draft him for that. You draft him because you know he will give you a steady PG, great is just a bonus.

WVU - honestly I just haven't watched them very closely.

IMF - I think Thabeet really faded his stock. He's been a one trick pony all year. Now early on I think the view was that he would progress, but he didn't really and now takes on the appearance of a serious project that has yet to show improvement.

But he has size and come draft night size counts for a lot.

Lawson to me is a "flat" dribbler, he handles the rock like he has smaller hands. I'm not saying that's why or that it can't change, but he just comes off as classic "college PG" where his speed is enough and he doesn't have to worry about seriously protecting his dribble.

Luckily we'll get another good look at him this weekend. I'm always open to being convinced on a different view.

Mood

IMO I think we should go after the best big available in the draft, whoever that is and work for some kind of trade to get that young PG from some team with little room for them to grow there. Jack and Lowry come to mind right now and could be good in the JOB system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Augustin is steady, but not superstar potential as far as I can see.
    That doesn't mean he doesn't have All-Star potential.

The thing with Augustine with respect to his size is that it just
    doesn't matter as much at PG in the NBA as it used to. If you
    can consistently take your guy off the bounce, wether you're
    5-11 or 6-3 is pretty much irrelevant. And on the other end,
    how often do you see NBA PG's posting up (ala Mark Jackson
    in his Pacers days) any more ?

Almost never. The rule changes have pretty much eliminated
    it.

There is a good story on ESPN's site about Augustin right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...6&sportCat=ncb

Read it and tell me you don't want a guy like that in a Pacers uniform. Plus him and Granger are both Louisiana boys so I think that's a chemistry builder right there. I would be a happy man if we could pick DJ up in the draft.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    There is a good story on ESPN's site about Augustin right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...6&sportCat=ncb

Read it and tell me you don't want a guy like that in a Pacers uniform. Plus him and Granger are both Louisiana boys so I think that's a chemistry builder right there. I would be a happy man if we could pick DJ up in the draft.

Your right, I think a kid like that would be a breath of fresh air for this team after years of Tinsley. I just got on the Augustin bandwagon. This is the type of charchter guys that can bring Indiana Pacers basketball back to where it should be.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    That doesn't mean he doesn't have All-Star potential.
    It is pretty obvious that you are nit-picking everything Seth says to heighten your credibility in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    With a second round pick, I would love to see us draft Mike Green as a back-up pg. I realize this is a homer pick, but I think that he is going to be a solid NBA player...maybe never a starter, but he would be a humongous upgrade over our current backups. Regardless of whether we get a new starter in the draft, we need multiple pgs.
    I was on the Mike Green band wagon untill his dismall performance against Tenn. He does not make free throws late in the game, loses his head (makes dumb fouls) & is not even 6'0 tall. I know he is listed at 6'1 with Graves but Graves is taller. I do not believe wasting a second round pick on a guy who will not be drafted.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    You know what I would hate? For the Pacers to somehow get the 4th pick in the draft and have Beasley, Rose and Gordon, be the first three picks.

Haha! After thinking about that I realized I'm kidding myself, I'd love to have the 4th pick in the draft even if that happened.
    Well we know that won't happen, as only the first 3 picks are truely "Lottery Picks", & after that (4-13) it is by record.
    If we do not score a top 3, we will likely be picking from 8-11 (9-10 most likely, & where we are currently). Of the players projected there (Our projected pick highlighted):
    K.Love/ D.Jordan (DraftExpress), R.Westbrook/ K.Love, (NBADraft.net), DJ.Augustine/ A.Randolph (InsideHoops), K.Love/ D.Jordan (HoopHype).
    Now the K.Love thing intriguges me a bit, as he has raised 8-10 slots the last week+. I find it hard to believe scouts are seeing anything that different in 2 games then they did all year. Its not like he is from a smaller school & playing against top-talent for the first time. In no mocks does Gordon or Mayo fall below 8, & I can't see us finishing behind CHA, so I think 9 is the "best" we can do (currently 10).
    I think it is wide-open who we take. We could go Big (C: Jordan/Hilbert; PF: Love/Randolf/Griffin) or small (Augustine/Collison). With those choices, & w/ the loss of Harrison (he's gone, we know it), the injuries (& possible trade) w/ JO, Murph providing no true interior help, & Foster a FA after n/y, I think unless Bird absolutely loves one of the PG's, we have to go BIG!

By the way: My first post here on the "Big Boards". Hello, & hope to get to know you all!
    You can get to know my POV's a bit more in my rather lenghty New Member "From RealGM to Here...."post. Glad to be aboard!
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 03-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Well we know that won't happen, as only the first 3 picks are truely "Lottery Picks", & after that (4-13) it is by record.
    If we do not score a top 3, we will likely be picking from 8-11 (9-10 most likely, & where we are currently). Of the players projected there (Our projected pick highlighted):
    K.Love/ D.Jordan (DraftExpress), R.Westbrook/ K.Love, (NBADraft.net), DJ.Augustine/ A.Randolph (InsideHoops), K.Love/ D.Jordan (HoopHype).
    Now the K.Love thing intriguges me a bit, as he has raised 8-10 slots the last week+. I find it hard to believe scouts are seeing anything that different in 2 games then they did all year. Its not like he is from a smaller school & playing against top-talent for the first time. In no mocks does Gordon or Mayo fall below 8, & I can't see us finishing behind CHA, so I think 9 is the "best" we can do (currently 10).
    I think it is wide-open who we take. We could go Big (C: Jordan/Hilbert; PF: Love/Randolf/Griffin) or small (Augustine/Collison). With those choices, & w/ the loss of Harrison (he's gone, we know it), the injuries (& possible trade) w/ JO, Murph providing no true interior help, & Foster a FA after n/y, I think unless Bird absolutely loves one of the PG's, we have to go BIG!

By the way: My first post here on the "Big Boards". Hello, & hope to get to know you all!
    You can get to know my POV's a bit more in my rather lenghty New Member "From RealGM to Here...."post. Glad to be aboard!
    Glad to have you. Hope you make a big enough splash. Be consistent and dialogue will happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    It is pretty obvious that you are nit-picking everything Seth says to heighten your credibility in this forum.
    One needs only look back at my past claims to see my credibility is phenomenal. In fact, I'd argue my ability to evaluate talent is as good as any NBA scouts.

Thing about Augustine, you get the feeling whatever his best is, he'll reach it.

Which is better a guy with a huge gigantic upside who won't ever realize it or a guy who will work to be the best he can be, but it might not be as high of a ceiling.

Reggie did the very most he could with his ability, many many other guys don't even get close.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Mark Jackson was never a superstar either, but he filled his role on the team perfectly. Augustine is really starting to grow on me, and now since it looks like we won't be making the playoffs afterall, We might snag him.

Though I am still in love with Thabeet's potential... it would be nice to trade somewhere into the teens and pick him up, I wonder if Diogu could net us a pick like that...
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Infinite-

I would think that the 1st round picks of both Portland and
    Phoenix (via ATL) will likely be available. Both should be in
    the #13-16 range which would be about perfect to grab
    either a 'big' or a PG (like Collison) depending on which
    position is addressed w/ the Pacers own pick.

Wether Bird wants to add two rookies w/ guaranteed deals,
    who knows.

Mood

One needs only look back at my past claims to see my credibility is phenomenal. In fact, I'd argue my ability to evaluate talent is as good as any NBA scouts.
    Wow!!! Arrogant much?!?! Saying your the best and being the best are two different things. You don't evaluate talent. You simply read other scouting reports and make a point based on others opinions. It is not your evaluation, it is someone else whom you are reporting. At least Seth watches the players himself. Get off your high horse.

LOL, Mel Kiper Kofi Jr. I'll go out on a limb here that Beasley kid will be good. Da Smash, is that you?

Three questions for whoever.

We are all talking about the bigs and point guards. So do you think a swingman is out of the question?

Me, I think so. I think you have to take a big or a point guard. Maybe you can take a Eric Gordon or OJ Mayo or the Bayless kid but I look at the bigs and DJ.

The other question is do you think Larry Bird will stay away from swingmen and draft with need in mind?

Then there is a third question. To me in terms of the point guards it's only DJ. Collison is a nice late first-early second round pick. Same with Lawson. DJ should be a top 15 pick.

Here is my question regarding DJ. Would you take him, someone who to me is likely to be a very nice pro like Jameer Nelson, or would you take a Hasheem Thabeet or DeAndre Jordan big who are very talented but also very raw. I think this is a decision Bird will face. What would you do?

Mood

I think Bird will address the needs. Which is everything except for a SF. Dunleavy should not be the fulltime starting SG on this team. We need a guy who can create his own shot and allow for players like Foster to crash boards. Having a Mayo/Gordon may open up current players strong points without having them be exploited on their weaknesses.

But the greater need is obvious. We need a PG. It has been this way for years. If DJ is gone and Collison is available? Then get Collison or a PG via trade or draft. Do not go into training camp with Tins and Diener as your PG options.

I think Mayo goes top 5 when it's all said and done. He is WAY too good to fall to us.