Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

Hybrid View

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

I really like to talk about possible selections and I know that people throw in some draft expectancies from time to time. If I am wrong in starting this to consoladate this chatter please delete this thread.

My favorite sites

nbadraft.net
    draftexpress.com

What players do you really like?

Default Re: Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...

I like Gordan and Rose. Right now the way Gordans lighting it up, and since he's from IU I think he would be the perfect pick for us. He would be a go to guy that would draw the fans too.

Why isn't Joe Alexander from WVU not getting any draft hype?

I like Rose the best. I think that he will be the best NBA player from this freshman class.

But people will talk about the big 3 of Rose, Gordon, and Beasley. But there are some others to watch out for.

I think that Nicolas Batum is a big time player. Same goes for Donte Greene.

Tyler Smith is probably going to go late lotto or so. Maybe low 20s. I hope he doesn't enter the draft though. I'd love to see him stay at Tennessee a while.

How about Josh Shipp. Never really gets any talk about him. I'd have to say he would be my early sleeper. I think he is just a real good basketball player who will do well in the pros, no all star but defiantly a good pro.

Two players i'm torn on are Roy Hibbert and Hasheem Thabeet. I've never thought to much of Hibbert. He is a real good college player but I think he is to slow to be an really effective NBA player but maybe not. I love Thabeet's physical tools but he hasn't done much at UConn so far he is only a Sophomore. Awesome shot blocker.

I'm not real big on Eric Gordon. He is an awesome player in college. I think he will do fine in the NBA I just think he is a little overratted. I think he will fill up the stat sheet and be an all star level player but not really the franchise player some make him out to be.

Should be a nice draft. It will be interesting to see which freshman declare.

This years draft is going to rival 03 and 96.

Can't miss stars (assuming all the freshman declare):
    OJ Mayo
    Derrick Rose
    Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    Michael Beasley
    Donte Green

Guys with slightly more risk, but star potential:
    DeAndre Jordan
    Blake Griffin
    Nicolas Batum
    Chase Buddinger
    Roy Hibbert
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Darren Collison
    Brooke Lopez

Those 14 guys are going to make huge impacts wherever they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

OJ Mayo
    Derrick Rose
    Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    Michael Beasley
    Donte Green

DeAndre Jordan
    Blake Griffin
    Nicolas Batum
    Chase Buddinger
    Roy Hibbert
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Darren Collison
    Brooke Lopez

lol way to go out on a limb there...i really don't think love will make much of an impact at the pro level given his stocky frame and lack of athleticism...mayo will put up numbers but that doesn't mean he'll be a great player. he'll put up his 20-25ppg but on 20spg...buddinger is NOT impressive and same goes for thabeet who has never proven anything other than being a very raw player at uconn...and roy hibbert is way too passive and thin to make an impact in the league, especially right away...

as far as who i'd look at, the only players i'd feel comfortable with the pacers drafting are...obviously the big 3 in beasley, gordon, and rose...possibly koufos but only if he fell...hendrix, a healthy bill walker, a healthy brandon rush, hairston, and my sleeper courtney lee...i wouldn't touch a pg until the 2nd round if we couldn't get rose and then i'd look at singletary and dominic james...

I do not think D James will get drafted. We should def give him an invite to participate in summer ball.

I hope we can land D Rose the kid will be a better pro than Beasely IMO. I heard Bird say Beasely is hands down the best player in college in an interview. So if we land the number one pick he will draft Beasely over Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I do not think D James will get drafted. We should def give him an invite to participate in summer ball.

I hope we can land D Rose the kid will be a better pro than Beasely IMO. I heard Bird say Beasely is hands down the best player in college in an interview. So if we land the number one pick he will draft Beasely over Rose.
    I hope not, but you're probably right. Rose is an awesome PG, and I hold steadfast to the belief that a franchise PG is much harder to come by than another wing player.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 03-31-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I heard him say that too, but Rose is getting his air-time now, & at the EOD, adding another SF over a PG is not smart - unless he thinks Beasley is the next "IT". If so, Granger needs moved & the question them becomes:
    "Is what Granger could bring in return better then Rose?"
    I say very doubtful, & I like Rose better. (+ there are some "character issues" questions w/ Beasley from what I've heard)
    Besides:
    Ask Atlanta how picking hype over skill & need worled out for them!
    Larry, Do not make the M.Williams/ C.Paul mistake - Rose will be a star!

(lets pray we have the opportunity to worry about such a choice!)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Reppin the 317

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

OJ Mayo
    Derrick Rose
    Eric Gordon
    Kevin Love
    Michael Beasley
    Donte Green

DeAndre Jordan
    Blake Griffin
    Nicolas Batum
    Chase Buddinger
    Roy Hibbert
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Darren Collison
    Brooke Lopez

Assuming we keep our lottery bound pick, we need to get Beasely, Gordon, or Roy Hibbert. If JO decides to not pick up the 20M player option on the table, then we need to get Beasely...try and trade a package of Tinsley and 2nd rounders for another lotto pick and pick up Eric Gordon...how sweet would that look for the future...

PG- Eric Gordon
    SG- Danny Granger
    SF- Shawne Williams
    PF- Ike Diogu
    C- Michael Beasely

Ok, maybe the Gordon part was just me getting carried away, but I'm serious about getting Michael Beasely with our pick. JO is going downhill now, and I can't find a better young C who has the potential to be great than him.

EJ FTW!

I like Tyrese Rice out of Boston College for our second-rounder...I'm not exactly sure why though...

Should be a really interesting draft no one posistion is going to be stacked like when it was Deron, Paul, Felton, this year there is a good variety of stars. I mean the top 4 guys all play different posistions. Rose pg, Gordon combo guard, Mayo sg, Beasley can play sf/pf.

Also interesting is that even though this is one of the most stacked ncaa years there are two international players in the top 10 mock draft on draft express with Batum and Gallinari. I remember Batum was pretty close to coming out last year and was near the top of the mock drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleLip View Post
    Should be a really interesting draft no one posistion is going to be stacked like when it was Deron, Paul, Felton, this year there is a good variety of stars. I mean the top 4 guys all play different posistions. Rose pg, Gordon combo guard, Mayo sg, Beasley can play sf/pf.

Also interesting is that even though this is one of the most stacked ncaa years there are two international players in the top 10 mock draft on draft express with Batum and Gallinari. I remember Batum was pretty close to coming out last year and was near the top of the mock drafts.
    You know what I would hate? For the Pacers to somehow get the 4th pick in the draft and have Beasley, Rose and Gordon, be the first three picks.

Haha! After thinking about that I realized I'm kidding myself, I'd love to have the 4th pick in the draft even if that happened.

I don't see anyway possible Gordon could get picked over Mayo.

Character issues? His game isn't that far superior.

Gordons moved past Mayo in the eyes of many. When you consider the character issues, I'm of the opposite mind. I don't see how Mayo will be picked before Gordon if they both come out.

I also don't see how the Pacers could get either one.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...2=stateChanged

Eric Gordon, Age 19, 6'5 SG, Freshman, Indiana
    Gordon was ranked No. 4 on our Top 100 back on July 1 (with Mayo No. 3). But in the past month he's been listed as the third-best prospect in the draft on most NBA scouts' boards, passing Mayo. The two are getting head-to-head comparisons from scouts and Gordon is winning -- but not by a landslide. He's shooting the lights out and has been a much more efficient scorer. Scouts also feel he has a better basketball IQ than Mayo.

O.J. Mayo, age 20, 6'4 SG, Freshman, USC
    He is averaging nearly 20 points a game as a freshman. He's shooting 46 percent from the field and 41 percent from 3. His turnovers are high and his team has struggled a little, but it's not a disgrace to lose to teams like Kansas and Memphis. Mayo is not, as some in the media have suggested, dropping like a rock on NBA draft boards. All the people I've spoken with are still high on him. He may not be the No. 1 pick in the draft anymore, but he's not slipping out of the top 10, either.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    You know what I would hate? For the Pacers to somehow get the 4th pick in the draft and have Beasley, Rose and Gordon, be the first three picks.

Haha! After thinking about that I realized I'm kidding myself, I'd love to have the 4th pick in the draft even if that happened.
    I know Mayo's attitude was in question but I'm not so sure that's a problem now. He might have some Kobe to him, but I'm not sure he's going to be a legal issue like the Pacers have been dealing with.

As much as Dun is a team player I think Mayo would quickly have fans wanting him to start and either Dun or Danny to be moved to make room. Of course it's early, let's see his impact closer to tourney time. Prima donna or clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I normally don't go along with homer crap, actually I'm anti-homer and like to draft out of town players.

But our attendance is terrible, and the fact that this sad reality coincides with a potential superstar coming out of IU this year gives TPTB an opportunity that they need to harness. I'd trade anyone on our team for Gordon.
    Yeah, but the hard fact we all know is that a top 5 pick seems really unlikely no matter what method to get it is tried. At least with Gordon, unlike Alford, it wouldn't be a reach.

How about Love over White instead to again upset IU fans with a UCLA over IU pick. I'd take it.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

Well we know that won't happen, as only the first 3 picks are truely "Lottery Picks", & after that (4-13) it is by record.
    If we do not score a top 3, we will likely be picking from 8-11 (9-10 most likely, & where we are currently). Of the players projected there (Our projected pick highlighted):
    K.Love/ D.Jordan (DraftExpress), R.Westbrook/ K.Love, (NBADraft.net), DJ.Augustine/ A.Randolph (InsideHoops), K.Love/ D.Jordan (HoopHype).
    Now the K.Love thing intriguges me a bit, as he has raised 8-10 slots the last week+. I find it hard to believe scouts are seeing anything that different in 2 games then they did all year. Its not like he is from a smaller school & playing against top-talent for the first time. In no mocks does Gordon or Mayo fall below 8, & I can't see us finishing behind CHA, so I think 9 is the "best" we can do (currently 10).
    I think it is wide-open who we take. We could go Big (C: Jordan/Hilbert; PF: Love/Randolf/Griffin) or small (Augustine/Collison). With those choices, & w/ the loss of Harrison (he's gone, we know it), the injuries (& possible trade) w/ JO, Murph providing no true interior help, & Foster a FA after n/y, I think unless Bird absolutely loves one of the PG's, we have to go BIG!

By the way: My first post here on the "Big Boards". Hello, & hope to get to know you all!
    You can get to know my POV's a bit more in my rather lenghty New Member "From RealGM to Here...."post. Glad to be aboard!
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 03-27-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Well we know that won't happen, as only the first 3 picks are truely "Lottery Picks", & after that (4-13) it is by record.
    If we do not score a top 3, we will likely be picking from 8-11 (9-10 most likely, & where we are currently). Of the players projected there (Our projected pick highlighted):
    K.Love/ D.Jordan (DraftExpress), R.Westbrook/ K.Love, (NBADraft.net), DJ.Augustine/ A.Randolph (InsideHoops), K.Love/ D.Jordan (HoopHype).
    Now the K.Love thing intriguges me a bit, as he has raised 8-10 slots the last week+. I find it hard to believe scouts are seeing anything that different in 2 games then they did all year. Its not like he is from a smaller school & playing against top-talent for the first time. In no mocks does Gordon or Mayo fall below 8, & I can't see us finishing behind CHA, so I think 9 is the "best" we can do (currently 10).
    I think it is wide-open who we take. We could go Big (C: Jordan/Hilbert; PF: Love/Randolf/Griffin) or small (Augustine/Collison). With those choices, & w/ the loss of Harrison (he's gone, we know it), the injuries (& possible trade) w/ JO, Murph providing no true interior help, & Foster a FA after n/y, I think unless Bird absolutely loves one of the PG's, we have to go BIG!

By the way: My first post here on the "Big Boards". Hello, & hope to get to know you all!
    You can get to know my POV's a bit more in my rather lenghty New Member "From RealGM to Here...."post. Glad to be aboard!
    Glad to have you. Hope you make a big enough splash. Be consistent and dialogue will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post

When I posted about getting the 4th pick I was just moaning about how even if we had good luck, it would probably be the worst possible good luck. I know we can only move up to the top three.

However, after the way we let every point guard with a little speed drive the lane, I'm pretty happy with where we are likely to finish since we will probably have a shot at a quick point. (Augustin, Collison)

What I'd really like though is to get at least two lottery picks so we could pick a point and a center.

I sometimes play around with draft and trade scenarios just to see how it would improve our lineup. Early this morning I was playing around with this scenario.

It's rumored one of the reasons New Jersey wants JO is because his contract expires the same year Labron James' does. Thus NJ would be enough under the cap they could sign James. Plus we know James has friends there and wouldn't be adverse to moving to the big apple. (NJ is moving to Brooklyn)

NJ got two draft picks from Dallas in the Kidd trade. One this year which is lottery protected and another in 09 or 2010 depending on a bunch of if's.

So assuming Dallas isn't in this years lottery and NJ is, I think we could get at least one of those picks from them, maybe both depending on the trade.

Right now I think Atlanta is going to get the 8th playoff spot in the east unless the return of JO somehow gets us by them. Even then it doesn't matter that much since we will still be picking in the same vicinity. (10-15)

Say we trade JO and either Williams or Ike to NJ for Carter and Hassell, and their two first round picks. (Either trade works both this year and next)

We would then have 3 picks in the vicinity of 9-17. We could probably then draft Augustin, Love, and Thabeet. I'd love that draft!

Other possibilities are if Memphis gets the 2nd pick. I don't see them keeping it and drafting Rose, not with three young point guards already on the team. So it's possible we could trade NJ's picks to Memphis and draft Rose with their pick and Love with our pick. I'd love that draft too.

Yeah, 'SIGH' I know I'm dreaming! Neither of those scenario's is likely.

Anyway here's who I like with the picks we are likely to have or obtain. Dreams picks included.

Pick's 1-3, Rose, Bayless, and B. Lopez. I think if we got #1 we would trade it and still wind up with one of the three I named.

Pick's 9-14, Augustin, Love.

Picks 15-18, Thabeet, Collison.

Picks 39-45, Robin Lopez was in this vicinity, but Ford has moved him way up on his top 100. He might stay in school for another year if he doesn't move into the first round. I don't have any other favorites here.

We will probably wind up with picks 11 and 41. Why? Because that's a worse case scenario.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-27-2008 at 10:12 PM.

I like Lester Hudson

We should be able to trade IKE for a late first round draft choice and this guy will be immediately help for our DEFENSE.

With a second round pick, I would love to see us draft Mike Green as a back-up pg. I realize this is a homer pick, but I think that he is going to be a solid NBA player...maybe never a starter, but he would be a humongous upgrade over our current backups. Regardless of whether we get a new starter in the draft, we need multiple pgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    With a second round pick, I would love to see us draft Mike Green as a back-up pg. I realize this is a homer pick, but I think that he is going to be a solid NBA player...maybe never a starter, but he would be a humongous upgrade over our current backups. Regardless of whether we get a new starter in the draft, we need multiple pgs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Homer pick or not I believe he would be a solid second round pick.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    I was on the Mike Green band wagon untill his dismall performance against Tenn. He does not make free throws late in the game, loses his head (makes dumb fouls) & is not even 6'0 tall. I know he is listed at 6'1 with Graves but Graves is taller. I do not believe wasting a second round pick on a guy who will not be drafted.