Thread: European Players

Default European Players

I know there has been a LOT of criticism of Bird and his admiration for the European players, but in this, his first solo draft...we see him making moves and taking US players.

It was Walsh who took the Euro in New York...

Was Walsh merely sending Bird over to Europe to get him out of his hair? Was it Walsh who so coveted the European players, but let Bird take the heat for it?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I thought I would put it out and see what others thought.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Default Re: European Players

I have had those same thoughts. Sure makes ya think. Walsh gone, and the Pacers are active trying to rebuild. Interesting.

I think Bird wanted guys that could come in here & play from day 1.

Some of the younger college guys aren't really there yet & most of the Euro's will also need a year or two more to develope.

Bird knows the Pacer fans that are left can't wait another couple years to get this thing turned around.

More than anything I think Bird wanted guys with the most college experience that had at least more than passing interest in the game & a better BB IQ than your average 8th grader.

5 out of the 6 guys he's added, fit that profile.

[QUOTE=TripleThreat;746367]

Was Walsh merely sending Bird over to Europe to get him out of his hair? QUOTE]

I don't doubt this at all. I have always felt Walsh brought in Bird for PR and to do his dirty work of firing Thomas. Once Bird fired Thomas what other need did he have for Bird, thus Bird went to scout players in Europe for most of a year and a half! If you are going to mentor and train someone to take your place, you don't send them to scout overseas for most of a year and a half. How much is he learning over there concerning the day to day business of running a sports franchise? You can't retire if you haven't trained your supposed replacement, now can you?
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 06-27-2008 at 11:04 PM.