Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

  1. #26
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but running and pick and roll always works since the refs are not gonna call illegal picks. haha
    So Pick and Roll ala Jeff Saturday rather than Jeff Foster?

    "Wow, he gets down the lane untouched every time!"

  2. #27
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to the freshman football coaches meeting once in high school and I told them three words: "West Coast Offense." Didn't take. Go figure.
    Shoulda gone with the Run and Shoot.

    On a serious note though, unless you're team is clearly outmatched size-wise in a given game, zone defense it retarded. Don't use it.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  3. #28
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Dare I ask why it's "retarded"?

  4. #29
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dare I ask why it's "retarded"?
    Well, it's not retarded altogether. It's fine if you're playing in the Carrier Dome or for Jon Chaney.

    But at 12 years old, it just promotes laziness and even in high school is rarely run properly (though I've never seen an Indy high school game to be fair). The fundamentals of man-to-man are just so much more useful to kids trying to learn to play proper basketball and I just think it is dumb for coaches to put winning above teaching.

    Sure, maybe there aren't a lot of kids that age you'll be playing against who are "zone busters," so just packing into a 2-3 could be effective. So maybe you'll win some games. But it's likely the kids aren't really learning how to play real basketball. They're not actively learning "see ball man," hedging, rotate and recover, and all that stuff. And they're certainly not learning how to rebound.

    I just think that, by and large, it's cheap and gimmicky for the most part. And it lets your lazy, offensively minded players rest and not be held accountable. Mentally, I don't like that. I think players should have the feeling that they have to stop someone.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  5. #30

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, it's not retarded altogether. It's fine if you're playing in the Carrier Dome or for Jon Chaney.

    But at 12 years old, it just promotes laziness and even in high school is rarely run properly (though I've never seen an Indy high school game to be fair). The fundamentals of man-to-man are just so much more useful to kids trying to learn to play proper basketball and I just think it is dumb for coaches to put winning above teaching.

    Sure, maybe there aren't a lot of kids that age you'll be playing against who are "zone busters," so just packing into a 2-3 could be effective. So maybe you'll win some games. But it's likely the kids aren't really learning how to play real basketball. They're not actively learning "see ball man," hedging, rotate and recover, and all that stuff. And they're certainly not learning how to rebound.

    I just think that, by and large, it's cheap and gimmicky for the most part. And it lets your lazy, offensively minded players rest and not be held accountable. Mentally, I don't like that. I think players should have the feeling that they have to stop someone.

    This is completely accurate in my view. The programs I've been involved in have never played zones, or even allowed our youth coaches to try them, until the JV level at the earliest, and definitely not at the 11-12 age level, for all the reasons JayRedd says.

    That isn't to say that you can't teach help defense, or you can't smartly lay off a particular player if you have a reason to do so, or full court trap at times, or whatever. But fundamental man to man defense should be played at this level, in my view.

  6. #31
    Member OnlyPacersLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    94
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    11/12 yr olds? ok do this...get the ball to the best player...and let him go to work. If he gets doubled or tripled let him kick it to a wide open player. Then hope those kids can hit shots aswell!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

  7. #32
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    11/12 yr olds? ok do this...get the ball to the best player...and let him go to work. If he gets doubled or tripled let him kick it to a wide open player. Then hope those kids can hit shots aswell!
    Rick Carlisle? Is that you?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #33
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,927

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick Carlisle? Is that you?
    No, It's JO...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #34
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    JO doesn't pass.

  10. #35
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

    Just got done with our first practice inside a gym with all of the other teams in my league there. After seeing the other teams practice I think this wrestler from Indy is doing a damn good job. My guys are light years ahead of the other teams. I am practicing 4 to 5 times a week for an hour a time. In that time we do fundamental drills run at least 20 sprints and learning to embrace the team. One man fails we all fail one man quits we all run. It is amazing how they are coming together and bonding. I really think kids these days love hard nose discipline. I am drilling it into there heads that they are not boys anymore but young men that are now a family and must give every once of energy to the team and they are loving it. Win or lose or draw we will be the most disciplined in shape team in the league. The other guys are trying to play unorganized street ball. I don't know what these guys think. But for some reason they think its just basketball its not serous. I got to give these kids my heart and soul and I plan on showing these other guys what Indiana basketball is all about. In 49 states it may be just a game but in Indiana its a way of life. I saw 4 teams practice and didn't see a kid run a single sprint. This is crazy.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 01:10 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 02:46 AM
  3. are any of you Colts fans also diehard IU basketball fans?
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •