Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

Question Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

I am coaching my sons basketball team down here in the bayou and I need a offense they would be able to comprehend and actually run. I wrestled in high school and know the fundamentals and basic drills from my Junior high days for them to run. Down here they take basketball about as serious as they do cross country or girls volleyball. I can't find a single parent that has a clue. Does anyone know of any web sites or have an O I can teach them. Everyone assumes that just because I am from Indy I know all this stuff already. Hell compared to them maybe I do. Any help anyone can give would be useful.

Default Re: Coaching 11/12 boys basketball

If this isnt what your looking for let me know. It might be a little much for their age, but it should help a little if its what your looking for.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/32MotionDrills.html
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this isnt what your looking for let me know. It might be a little much for their age, but it should help a little if its what your looking for.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/32MotionDrills.html
    That's more or less what my sons 5th grade team is running. PG passes to the wing, then picks away. The F/C are on the blocks - post, then pick away. The wing player can hit either post or the cutter, or dribble or pass back to the top and reset. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep moving.

I'm not coaching his team - his coach knows his stuff, though, he's very good.

I coached 5th/6th girls last year. We had a combination of set plays that were basically designed to give each girl a "play" where she could roll of a pick, receive a pass, and shoot (preferably a layup). We also had an "offense" that was more free-form - basically pass to the wing, look to the post, back to top, repeat - like the one above. I also tended to focus a LOT on fundamental shooting and dribbling and passing. Especially shooting. Add in things like defense positioning, rebounding. So many skills that need to be taught.

What you can do will depend upon how much practice time you have.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I've got lots of things to help you with this. I'll try and PM you later this weekend.

tbird

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That's more or less what my sons 5th grade team is running. PG passes to the wing, then picks away. The F/C are on the blocks - post, then pick away. The wing player can hit either post or the cutter, or dribble or pass back to the top and reset. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Keep moving.

I'm not coaching his team - his coach knows his stuff, though, he's very good.

I coached 5th/6th girls last year. We had a combination of set plays that were basically designed to give each girl a "play" where she could roll of a pick, receive a pass, and shoot (preferably a layup). We also had an "offense" that was more free-form - basically pass to the wing, look to the post, back to top, repeat - like the one above. I also tended to focus a LOT on fundamental shooting and dribbling and passing. Especially shooting. Add in things like defense positioning, rebounding. So many skills that need to be taught.

What you can do will depend upon how much practice time you have.

I had to find an outside court to have practice because they gave me 3 1 hour practices to teach them everything they need to know. I have 3 weeks until my first game so I am going to have at least 4 practices a week untill the first game and then I will probably cut it down to 3 practices a week. I told them win or loss I can promise that they are going to be the most inshape team in the league. The first week I am concentrating on the fundementals and the beautiful art of windsprints. I really believe I have a team that should do very well with the raw athelitic ability alone.

I recommend the Triangle.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Picket fence! Rinse and repeat.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

if you have a strong ball handler and shooters I would go with the motion . If you have slashers go with the 1-4. If you have post players then do a high low. These are basic and can help them understand team play.

just Run, Run, Run, RUn!!

Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

4 passes before they take a shot!

and on defense, always play Zone!

Zone Zone Zone Zone Zone!

haha. thats just how i grew up on when i was coached by my dad and it made basketball fun when i was a kid!
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Fundamentals.

And a pick-an-roll's not that complicated, but effective even in the pros...got to have a couple of bodies that can hit a shot, though....and kids that don't forget which is the left foot and which is the right under pressure.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    just Run, Run, Run, RUn!!

Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

4 passes before they take a shot!

haha. thats just how i grew up on when i was coached by my dad and it made basketball fun when i was a kid!
    Thats what I drilled into there heads so far today. I taught them how to pick and I think my weakest link broke his arm today. Kid acts like he has been stuck in front of a T.V. since he was born. He keeps begging he parents to quit. If I don't do anything this year I am going to make that little dude into a man. He reminds me of a white steve Irkle. I have 10 guys so I had them just running getting the motion down. I have them playing a 2 3 zone and have the point guard pressuring the other teams PG every trip down. Just got to teach them a basic O to run I think I want a motion quick flowing O.

I've coached 5th and 6th grade girls basketball at a local elementary school for the last few years and I don't even bother with anything beyond simple pick and rolls. Just run every time. Depending on your talent level you can probably throw in a few plays, but what's really important is getting them to love the game. The more you run, the more shots you get, the more each player will be involved, the more they enjoy it.

And play Knockout. They LOVE Knockout

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I've coached 5th and 6th grade girls basketball at a local elementary school for the last few years and I don't even bother with anything beyond simple pick and rolls. Just run every time. Depending on your talent level you can probably throw in a few plays, but what's really important is getting them to love the game. The more you run, the more shots you get, the more each player will be involved, the more they enjoy it.

And play Knockout. They LOVE Knockout

what is knock-out

The two things I remember from basketball at that age were...
    1.) Four people must touch the ball before it is shot
    and
    2.) Our coach successfully instilled the triangle offense in our Carmel Dad's Club team and we won every game by an average of like 18 points on our way to the championship. I STILL to this day remember my role in that offense and could probably run my role in my sleep. We practiced it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I recommend the Triangle.
    I went to the freshman football coaches meeting once in high school and I told them three words: "West Coast Offense." Didn't take. Go figure.

If it helps, the motion offense is used in every level of basketball. i had to learn it for my high school varsity team.

I am no expert here but I always thought you were suppose to stick with man to man defense in youth basketball and stay away from zone? Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I am no expert here but I always thought you were suppose to stick with man to man defense in youth basketball and stay away from zone? Maybe not.
    i heard a funny story about that. in the upwards basketball league for little kids, they make each player wear a special colored wristband. however had the same colored wristband as you, you were supposed to guard them.

Mood

My coaches had me running the motion offense, and the the flex offense from 2nd grade AAU clear through college. We also had set plays from that formation to mix it up some.

Every team is different, and you have to run what your team is able to run. I have seen teams that age that get lost running up and down the court, and others that could play with a bad high school JV team.

it was instilled in my brain that we need to pass the ball 4 times before any of us can shoot..

since in my league back then, there was no shot clock, so it was useful.

but running and pick and roll always works since the refs are not gonna call illegal picks. haha
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

[quote=andreialta;639248]Motion offense, just tell them to pass the ball till someone gets open!

/[quote]

Again i would recommend a basic motion offence. Try to drill in to them early on not to stand stagnant in offence. Try to encourage good ball reversal too.

And on D, i would play zone. alternate between a 2 3 and a 3 2. keeps it relatively simple for the youngins and teaches them to work as a team.
    Last edited by Haggard; 01-06-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Indy-

Just curious, who was that Carmel Dad's Club coach ?

For that age group, you could always go for the Isiah Thomas offense, which paradoxically, means you do whatever you want and don't run a structured offense at all. I think he calls it the "quick."

Zone might be more effective in youth bball - since good shooters are rare - but I believe you are better off teaching the fundamentals of man-to-man defense. I think it's better for player development.

And, IMO, teaching fundamental basketball skills (and teamwork) should be the primary focus of youth basketball. Everybody wants to win, and even in "rec" leagues there's pressure to win. But teaching the fundamentals and playing "the right way" - hustle, passing, getting everyone involved - should take priority.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Indy-

Just curious, who was that Carmel Dad's Club coach ?
    I don't remember his name for sure. But our PG's last name was Wirthwein I think and we had a center named Pepmeier. I can't remember our coaches name though.