Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Jones in Portland...

Default James Jones in Portland...

I'm watching the Blazers/Wolves game and at half-time the announcers were singing high praises for good ol' JJ #33. He's been lighting things up behind the arc. Basically saying he was a huge part of why they won 13 in a row. Apparently he wasn't playing much prior to the streak and as soon as he got involved their fortune changed. He's 3 for 3 tonight. This year he's shooting 55% behind the arc and averaging about 10pts per game. I like JJ and I'm glad to see him doing well up in Portland. ...also, Portland is a fun team to watch.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: James Jones in Portland...

I HATED, as in ranted all the time, when they let him go. He was a Reggie clone. He hit some big shots in the brawl season to help push for the playoffs (that NJ game late when Reggie ripped off 5-6 late too) and showed a pure 3pt shot.

Sure he wasn't a great defender or strong off the dribble, but if you needed spot up or curl catch and shoots from 3, he was your man.

How bad do they need him right now. If Dun can play the 2 then certainly the quicker JJ could.

I know he was sometimes lost and green out there, but right now we are putting up with Danny, Ike, Shawne, Owens, etc making the same mistakes with far less overall impact on the positive side.

BTW, coming into last season JJ was 49th ALL TIME in NBA 3P%. Obviously his 38.5 rate went up with this season.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-02-2008 at 10:05 PM.

I said at the time we kept the wrong Jones. I liked his demeanor, his defense, and his solid-if-not-spectacular play.

I know he didn't set the world on fire in Pheonix, but I've always liked JJ.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yeah, people slammed his total game, but that's not why you keep him. You keep him because he's got a true shot and proved he could make them off of cuts ala Reggie by running the exact same plays that Reggie ran (when 31 came out of games).

Great jump shooting coming off of cuts or off the dribble is a rare item and critical IMO. Look at Rip's game and his value.

Of course the 2nd round pick involved helped get James White I believe, so we've got that going for us.
    (disclaimer, I liked White as a pick till I saw his lackluster pre-season camp)

Banned

James is playing well for Portland and is an exceptionally nice guy but he's not worth losing sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    James is playing well for Portland and is an exceptionally nice guy but he's not worth losing sleep over.
    I kind of agree with this.

I was wanting to keep Jones but not at the money he got. He is a replaceable player.

10-4 to those who thought this guy deserved some more time in a Pacers uniform. I don't know if I could say this if it weren't for the Orlando game a few years ago the night after that awful game in Detroit. After attending that game I payed close attention to JJ, something about the way he stepped up the night after the Brawl won me over. Oh well, at least Portland is a respectable team to root for with a good group of players. Nothing but the best for JJ.
    A: "I've got to wait until it gets dark to finish filming. We have one scene shot at night."

J: (Drunk) "Come film in my pants man, it's already dark there."

I haven't missed JJ at all since he left here. He's a nice guy and a decent player, but that is all. I wish him well

I'm thinking it would be nice to have one great shooter on a team that bases its offense on the jumpshot. But hey, that's just me.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I'm thinking it would be nice to have one great shooter on a team that bases its offense on the jumpshot. But hey, that's just me.
    I guess I just don't think James Jones is a great shooter. yes he's shooting well to this point this season, but if you look at his entire career (and in Phoenix he got wide open shots all the time) his % doesn't indicate to me that he is a great shooter. He's a pretty good shooter, but I don't think anything more.

Here are his career stats.

FG% - 40.6
    3-pt - 40%
    FT% - 87%

What the Pacers offense needs more than shooters is someone who can create shots for himself, for his teammates and get to the free throw line - and JJ does none of those three things.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.

A career 40% 3pt shooter is at least very good if not great IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I guess I just don't think James Jones is a great shooter. yes he's shooting well to this point this season, but if you look at his entire career (and in Phoenix he got wild open shots all the time) his % doesn't indicate to me that he is a great shooter. He's a pretty good shooter, but I don't think anything more.

FG% - 40.6
    3-pt - 40%
    FT% - 87%

What the pacers offense needs more than shooters is someone who can create shots for himself, for his teammates and get to the free throw line - and JJ does none of those three things.
    What you don't appear to understand, *removed*, is that 3-point shooters spread the defense and create opportunities for other players. JJones is helping Portland a great deal because he's making it easier for Aldridge, Roy, Outlaw and others to get good shots. He'd be having a similar affect for Indiana. He would certainly be an upgrade from the bench players they have now.

Teams should not rely on players who can "create shots for themselves" (*removed*). There's only about 6 of them in the league anyway who can do it without having a negative affect on their team. How 'bout Marbury...he's a guy with the reputation for being about to "create shots for himself"...is THAT what you think the Pacers need??? Really???

The Pacers need good shooters, good (and willing) passers, and players who play together and unselfishly. They need players who are unconcerned with individual stats and not prone to pouting.

Banned

http://blog.oregonlive.com/sportsupd..._new_stre.html

MINNEAPOLIS -- There came a time Wednesday when the Trail Blazers couldn't believe what they were seeing during their grind-it-out 90-79 win over Minnesota at the sleepy Target Center.

James Jones, the NBA's leading three-point shooter, was open in the corner.

Swish.

And then Jones, once again, was open in the same spot.

Swish.

And then again, Jones with time to load his shot and let fly.

Swish.

Five times in the second quarter, Sergio Rodriguez would drive and kick a pass to Jones, or push a transition break and find Jones, and all five times Jones hit the shot.

"I don't understand why teams leave that dude open," Jarrett Jack said. "It's like they don't know what type of player he is."

On Wednesday, Jones again showed he is the type of player who can change a game, scoring 13 of his 18 points in the first six minutes of the second quarter, propelling the Blazers to their fourth road win this season.

It was the Blazers' first game after their 13-game winning streak was snapped in Utah on Monday, and it reaffirmed what many of the players have been saying since the streak had ended: This young team is much more than just a 13-game flash-in-the-pan.

"I'm happy with the way we responded," said Brandon Roy, who struggled with his shot (8 for 21) but still finished with a team-high 24 points. "The big thing I was saying is, 'We gotta win this next game to show everybody that even though the streak was over, we are still a good team.' And I felt we did that. We showed we still have a lot to play for."

With the win, the Blazers (19-13) remained in second place by percentage points behind Denver (18-12) in the Northwest Division. And although many of the final statistics were unsightly -- the Blazers shot 39 percent, including 10 for 34 in the second half -- they were able to control the game thanks to a season-low four turnovers, which were one off the franchise record.

It was an emotionless game played in a quiet Target Center that was only half-filled. To make matters worse, the start was delayed 24 minutes to repair a gap between floor boards near halfcourt.

"The game had a weird feeling right from the start, being delayed," McMillan said. "I was thinking, 'This is not good.' And even though we won the first quarter (23-18), the rhythm never felt good."

Enter what McMillan likes to call "the white unit" -- his second quarter reserves, who on this night were led by Rodriguez, Jack and Jones. Immediately, the tempo picked up, as Rodriguez was jitter-bugging through the lane and zinging passes to Jones in the corner.

In the first six minutes of the second, Rodriguez had eight assists, putting him in position to tie the franchise record for assists in a quarter (10), set by Terry Porter in 1991. He never got the chance for the record, as McMillan reinserted Roy into the game, but by that time, the Blazers had a 44-32 lead and control of the game.

The eight assists were a season-high for Rodriguez, who has drifted into anonymity while playing brief stints in the second and fourth quarters. Afterward, while finishing the remains of what has become his traditional pregame meal -- chicken strips and fries -- Rodriguez downplayed his game-changing role.

"They made the baskets," Rodriguez said. "James played a hell of a game. Everybody was trying to get open, and I just find them. For me, it was just how the game was going. I'm always ready on the bench, and I'm always looking at what my teammates are doing and what we need. Then I go in there and just do the best I can do."

Of course, it makes it easier when Rodriguez is passing to Jones, who is having the best season of his five-year career. Jones, who has never made more than 40 percent of his three-pointers during his four-plus seasons, is now 33 for 65 (55.4 percent), while boosting his scoring average to a career-high 10.4 points.

"That's what we have sorely needed ever since I have been here," Jack said. "A guy who can make you pay if you leave him open."

In fact, Jones was being left so open during the second quarter that teammate Travis Outlaw said he was "getting mad," taking it as a sign of disrespect for Jones.

"They have to leave someone open, and it just happens to be me," Jones said. "But it's not so much a decision to leave me open, it was the options our offense was creating. Serg was the one who came in and changed everything with his penetration. Every coach will tell you to take away the layin and give up the three. So Serg gave us that burst that we needed, and it jump-started us and put them on their heals. The rest was history."

Still, the Blazers had trouble putting the finishing touches on the win, allowing Minnesota (427) to cut the lead to 60-56 in the third quarter. It wasn't until Roy hit a three-pointer at the end of the third to give the Blazers a 75-62 lead that the players could breathe a little easier.
    Notes:LaMarcus Aldridge finished with 17 points and 11 rebounds, his team-leading seventh double double of the season. ... The Blazers have won four of their past five road games. ... Minnesota, which lost its sixth in a row, got 29 points and 16 rebounds from Al Jefferson.

Jason Quick: 503-221-4372; jasonquick@news.oregonian.com To read his "Behind the Beat" blog, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/
    behindblazersbeat
    Last edited by Roy Munson; 01-03-2008 at 06:45 PM.

I guess I just don't think James Jones is a great shooter.
    Yeah, it's not like he's Kareem Rush or anything.

But hey, we shouldn't complain. We traded him for 1/3 of James White.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Key word for him: ROLE PLAYER...which we don't have enough of. We need more players who are willing to come in and fit a specific role for the sake of the team. Jones may have deficiencies to his game, but he would have been a valuable perimeter sniper to spread the floor, and take pressure off our bigs. If we had more of those guys, we'd be much better off. All the championship teams had valuable role playing personnel, in addition to their star play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The eight assists were a season-high for Rodriguez, who has drifted into anonymity while playing brief stints in the second and fourth quarters. Afterward, while finishing the remains of what has become his traditional pregame meal -- chicken strips and fries -- Rodriguez downplayed his game-changing role.
    Rodriguez is on the Tinsley diet.

Maybe it comes down to whether you believe the current Pacers players are getting good shots and just missing. If that is the case, then yes James Jones would help.

However if you believe the current Pacers players are not getting good shots and that rather than poor shooting is the cause for poor offense, then you need someone who can get others good shots. And without Tinsley especially, the Pacers are unable to get good shots, and are very easy to guard.

I tend to think our biggest offensive problem is our inability to get good shots. So rather than getting better shooters, I want a creator.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-03-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Maybe it comes down to whether you believe the current Pacers players are getting good shots and just missing. If that is the case, then yes James Jones would help.

However if you believe the current Pacers players are not getting good shots and that rather than poor shooting is the cause for poor offense, then you need someone who can get others good shots. And without Tinsley especially, the Pacers are unable to get good shots, and are very easy to guard.

I tend to think our biggest offensive problem is our inability to get good shots. So rather than getting better shooters, I want a creator.
    I think we have a couple, but the lack of a decent backup point is causing them to play out of position, and to be relied upon more heavily than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    I think we have a couple, but the lack of a decent backup point is causing them to play out of position, and to be relied upon more heavily than they should be.
    And the more I see of Daniels at the point position the less I like him there. He needs to be a shooting guard or small forward, he makes some really bad decisions with the ball. he's better when he gets the ball in scoring position and can do what he does best which is get to the basket. And I think O'Brien is realizing that, because he had Owens and daniels in the game at times last night

James Jones was one of the players that stepped UP in the brawl season and appeared to be a good citizen to boot. Why that earned him a ticket out of town, I'll never know. But when you're looking for reasons that there's a disconnect with fans, I'd say that is one of the symptoms of the problems.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Refresh my memory please...who did we trade JJ for?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Refresh my memory please...who did we trade JJ for?
    A second round draft pick from Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    A second round draft pick from Phoenix.

JJ helped seal the double OT win tonight against the Bulls. He had clutch free throws and a clutch block at the very end of the game.

The thing about JJ is that he's a class act, he works really hard, he's a great free throw shooter, and he's getting better on D. I've also seen him drive to the basket more often and get fouled, and he's just improving his game. Portland is lucky to have him and I wouldn't mind having him back on the Pacers. Anyway, I'll continue to root for him on the Blazers - I'm kinda rooting for them out west this year anyway so all the sweeter.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

I guess I just don't think James Jones is a great shooter. yes he's shooting well to this point this season, but if you look at his entire career (and in Phoenix he got wide open shots all the time) his % doesn't indicate to me that he is a great shooter. He's a pretty good shooter, but I don't think anything more.

FG% - 40.6
    3-pt - 40%
    FT% - 87%

What the Pacers offense needs more than shooters is someone who can create shots for himself, for his teammates and get to the free throw line - and JJ does none of those three things.
    Maybe it's just me but a career 40% mark from downtown is pretty damn good. Posting those stats really does not discredit his game at all. Reggie shot .395 for his career from long range.