Thread: Just how big a Colts/Pats AFCCG will be..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Just how big a Colts/Pats AFCCG will be..

Obviously a Colts-Pats AFCCG, if it happens, will be huge in that it will decide who goes to the Superbowl. Just like every championship game is. But let's look at just how big this game is in other regards. This game, if it does indeed happen, will decide alot about how history views these teams. Of course both of these teams will have to win their divisional games first.

If the Patriots win, they are the clearcut dynasty of the 2000's. There is no question about it. The Colts greatness over the past several years would become an afterthought as far as how they are judged. No one will ever be able to take away our wonderful championship last year, but there will be no doubt that we would be small potatoes to the Pats. And of course, Brady would be 3-1 against Manning in playoff games, which would be a dominating advantage.

But what if the Colts win, and then go on to win the Superbowl? Suddenly, the Colts are right with the Patriots. You have to look at the Colts in terms of how they rank in all time NFL teams. The Colts would go into next year with the hype of going for a three peat. Manning and Brady would be tied in head to head playoff games (2-2). The Patriots would be three years removed from a championship, which is a long time in terms of sports. Suddenly the 2 teams are pretty close.

So aside from the obvious importance of determining who goes to the Superbowl, there is alot riding on this game if it does indeed happen. If the Pats win, they have a whole lot over the Colts and are the clearcut unchallenged dynasty of the decade. But if the Colts can win and then go on to the Superbowl, the Colts are right there with them. Then you have to look at the 00's as being the years of the "Patriots and Colts."
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-30-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Just how big a Colts/Pats AFCCG will be..

I bet the Chargers boards had posts like this all over them this time last year...

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet the Chargers boards had posts like this all over them this time last year...

Yeah, I'm sure the Chargers board had a lot of posts discussing the Colts and the Patriots.

And notice I said "if it happens"

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    The Chargers won a Super Bowl the year before last? News to me.

The NFL NEEDS this to happen. The NFC is flat out irrevalent right now and anything short of a Colts-Pats AFC championship matchup is going to be disappointing to most fans.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I don't think it will be Colts/Pats. I think Jax will literally punish NE.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I don't think it will be Colts/Pats. I think Jax will literally punish NE.
    If its bad weather Jacksonville can and arguably should beat the Patriots just based on how the individual teams are built, but are you really willing to bet on David Garrard in a playoff game in New England where he is facing Brady? I'm not. Garrard has been solid, but this would be a whole new animal for him.

An interesting topic for discussion, and I agree that if the Colts were to come out on top again this year it cetainly changes the historical dynamic of the two powers.

That said, let's just be sure we get to the AFCCG first, regardless of who the opponent ends up being.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    An interesting topic for discussion, and I agree that if the Colts were to come out on top again this year it cetainly changes the historical dynamic of the two powers.

That said, let's just be sure we get to the AFCCG first, regardless of who the opponent ends up being.
    I agree. We all saw what happened when we looked past the Squeelers a couple of seasons ago. But there is a great chance we will meet the Pats and it's fun to talk about what each outcome means in terms of history.

Jacksonville talks a good game, but the last time that actually won a meaningful game was... when?

People put too much hype on them because they run the ball and hit hard.

They made way too many mistakes, have suspect coaching, and have undiciplined players that will never be able to win in Foxboro.

Unless San Diego surprises us all, the AFC championship will be played between the Colts and Patriots. That is pretty much a certainty. There is the Patriots, Colts, then a massive talent gap to #3.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-30-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Jacksonville talks a good game, but the last time that actually won a meaningful game was... when?

They made way too many mistakes, have suspect coaching, and have undiciplined players that will never be able to win in Foxboro.

Unless San Diego surprises us all, the AFC championship will be played between the Colts and Patriots. That is pretty much a certainty. There is the Patriots, Colts, then a massive talent gap to #3.
    This is true of the entire NFL. Not just in the AFC. Does anyone honestly believe any team the NFC has to offer can even hold a candle to the Colts or Pats?

The NFC is a joke compared to NE and Indy. Honestly, i think that if the Eagles were in the playoffs, they would represent the NFC in the SB just because they are playing better than anyone in the NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by JO4MVP2006 View Post
    The NFC is a joke compared to NE and Indy. Honestly, i think that if the Eagles were in the playoffs, they would represent the NFC in the SB just because they are playing better than anyone in the NFC.
    What?

Who cant the Eagles beat in the NFC? They just beat Dallas two weeks ago. Green Bay barely beat us before and have been rather sloppy as of late(well except today, but that was Detroit so does that count?). Seattle barely beat us with Feeley. Tampa, i havent seen much of, but there is a reason they are the 4 seed. NYG, despite our two losses to them, i still think we could take them. And Washington is extremely hot right now, probably the team i would want to stay away from. but id like our chances against them.

I didnt say that to say how good the eagles are, i meant it as how bad the nfc really is. The Eagles are a decent team playing pretty good ball right now. How many of the teams in the NFC backed into the playoffs? Other than Washington, none of them really have momentum. All im saying is that if they Eagles were in the playoffs, they would have a good shot at getting to the SB.

Yeah. The only hope w/ Jax is that they physically wear down the Pats moreso than the bolts wear down the Colts. Both teams could pull an upset, but it seems unlikely.

Man, how bout a JAX-SD championship game?

I agree that a SB win this year shifts the eye of history in the Pats' favor, but there's no reason that the Colts wouldn't be right there in the discussion if they snagged a few more SB's in the upcoming years. But ultimately we'd have to establish a dynasty to be in that discussion and we're a still a far cry from that.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If the Colts are to get to the Superbowl, they will likely have to avenge there 2 meaningful losses this year.

San Diego is always dangerous with LT. Must contain him and pressure Rivers.

Peyton better not throw 6 int's again, and let's hope Vinateri is healthy and locked in.

The Patriots will be fun! Yes we've won in New England, but we haven't won there in the playoffs in crappy weather.

We did get over the Patriots playoff hump last year, but it was at home, and the 1st half wasn't pretty.

I really hope we make it to the AFC Championship game!

I would like nothing more then to beat New England IN New England to go the Superbowl and end there perfection.

Mood

I would have to say this would be the "real superbowl".

An odd fact that the Patriots have against them:

The NFL's passing yardage leader has never gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same season: 0-for-41

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...1&sportCat=nfl

An odd fact that the Patriots have against them:

The NFL's passing yardage leader has never gone on to win the Super Bowl in the same season: 0-for-41

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...1&sportCat=nfl

True, but how many passing leaders led a team that went 16-0?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

My gut feeling is that very few of those past 41 leaders in passing yards were on a team that was a #1 or even a #2 seed.

Generally passing stats are padded by having to play catch-up in several games where you are behind, usually due to poor defense.

It's sort of like the stat about getting 400 yards passing in a game for a QB. Generally it means he was slinging it and way behind, and probably lost the game.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well if you look at the article you see teams like the 81 Chargers and 84 Dolphins, so really good teams have had passing yds leaders. The 2001 Rams had Warner and had won the SB just 2 seasons before, and of course lost to the Pats that year.

Only 13 missed the playoffs, and of the last 17 only 2 have done so. 5 lost in the championship game (of the last 17), and 2 more lost in the SB (last 17).

While the Colts would be a mild upset over the Pats, it wouldn't be a shocker out of nowhere. And that would keep the streak alive without really proving that big passing teams can't win.

Warner missed breaking this streak by 3 freaking points for chrissake.

I do agree about the impact of this game. Pats win and it's all over, it's all about them this decade. Colts win and suddenly you might have 2 SB to 3 with a very even record H to H and with the Colts having their own big run of winning seasons, not just 13-0 but also back to back 9-0 starts.

And even with Brady's TD season it took him an extra game to break it (Manning only threw a couple of passes in his 16th game before sitting) and it's basically the same number anyway.

A Colts win would make the parallels staggering. It would be like if Oakland had knocked off the Steelers for a 2nd SB win instead of PIT getting 4. Suddenly those teams look really even and Bradshaw has nothing on Stabler.

And if neither makes it to the AFC CG? The NFL commits suicide.