Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Game 31 (L): Pistons have our number this weekend

Default Post Game 31 (L): Pistons have our number this weekend

Good defense down the stretch, but we simply couldn't get it done offensively.

Default Re: Post Game 31 (L): Pistons have our number this weekend

Marquis Daniels showed tonight why we need Jamaal Tinsley.

Don't put any blame on Quis!!! Pacers are a team
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Sports Logo

As I mentioned in the game thread......the Pistons can convert and properly execute their offense when they need to.....the Pacers simply can't convert. We're just not that good.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Dont blame it on Quis. JO shouldnt of took that 18 foot shot with a minute left..we were in the penalty..why settle for a jumper. drive it for god sake.

anyway i think Ownes played really well.

gotta win @ charlotte

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure why Obie insists on playing Quis at the 1. He's not a PG and will never have the ballhandling skills to play PG against any kind of pressure.

Seriously, if he can't beat Kareem Rush out for SG minutes, he shouldn't be on the team. He should be playing where his strengths are maximized, not his weaknesses.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

We played pretty well tonight we just got beat by a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont blame it on Quis. JO shouldnt of took that 18 foot shot with a minute left..we were in the penalty..why settle for a jumper. drive it for god sake.

anyway i think Ownes played really well.

gotta win @ charlotte
    I'm not basing my decision on one play - his decision-making and finishing just weren't there today. As you note, Owens was on tonight, so you should give him and Dunleavy the nod at the game's end.

I'm not basing my decision on one play - his decision-making and finishing just weren't there today. As you note, Owens was on tonight, so you should give him and Dunleavy the nod at the game's end.
    yes i do agree, owens should of been in for Marquis. But i think leaving Rush out there was a good move.

He did a great job defensivly on Rip Hamilton when Granger was out. Rush seems to of improved dramatically since everyone here was bagging him.

When u cut this game down there are many things that come to mind:

1. the refs were pretty horrible
    2. To have many chances down the stretch to take the lead against pistons is great
    3. No Jamaal Tinsley
    4. After a back-to-back game getting blown out to only lose in the last minute

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

One thing I did like tonight: we didn't give up easy baskets.

On several occasions--I remember specifically Murphy and Foster--the guys put a hard foul/hard body on the guy attempting a layup or a dunk.

Oh yeah, Rush did it once too.

The rest? Bleh, we're not as good as they are. We need a better point guard. And not one in street clothes, and not one who's incredibly streaky and inconsistent when he's in uniform.

With Tins, we still lose that game 8 out of 10 times.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Listening to Obie in postgame, you'd think Indiana won by 20. I've never seen a coach so giddy after a loss...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Listening to Obie in postgame, you'd think Indiana won by 20. I've never seen a coach so giddy after a loss...
    I don't like that mentality. Sure, you can celebrate the victories, but coming close against a pretty good team isn't a victory.

no opinion either way, really. Rick Carlisle was too negative after a win once and the piston players were really upset at him because of it. I wonder if it works the other way around?

I did find it strange that Obie said he's very pleased with both the offense and the defense.

If you lose a game, shouldn't you be displeased with at least one of the two? What, did the special teams lose the game?

I asked this in another thread but I'll ask it hear too--- does anyone know what Ike Diogu's +/- is for the year?

-11 is pretty sucky tonight.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

no opinion either way, really. Rick Carlisle was too negative after a win once and the piston players were really upset at him because of it. I wonder if it works the other way around?

I did find it strange that Obie said he's very pleased with both the offense and the defense.

If you lose a game, shouldn't you be displeased with at least one of the two? What, did the special teams lose the game?
    That may just speak to how much he values Tinsley.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

This whole thing is getting downright comical. It's like now moral victories are becoming acceptable.

Totally agree with you about Quis. He does not have the ballhandling to play point against pressure. I don't think he's legit even as the backup. He would be more effective for us at 2/3 where we of course have like 10 guys.

Only thing I liked about this game was there was effort throughout, especially on D. Ultimately, that's all one can ask for. Particularly with the assembly of talent we have.

Where was Dunleavy in the 4th quarter? Coach's decision? Injured? Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    I asked this in another thread but I'll ask it hear too--- does anyone know what Ike Diogu's +/- is for the year?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/plus_minus_0708.html

For some reason they don't have the link right in the site's menu, I had to go searching for it. They've already updated for tonight, so as of now he's -5 per game.

Thanks for that link Kegboy --- its quite interesting to look at.

Maybe more fuel for the idea that Danny Granger might be more useful coming off the bench?

Interesting to see Mike Dunleavy and Tinsley on there at the top - despite the small margin of +. And then Granger way down at the bottom.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 12-29-2007 at 10:43 PM.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't hear the postgame, but as I said on WFNI (almost wrote WIBC) after the game, this was a talent loss, not an effort loss. I think JOB was probably happy that the team gave him everything he could have asked for - the problem is with the front office not getting us a "closer".

I was pretty impressed by Owens' performance at point tonight, both offensively and defensively. It's pretty clear he doesn't have major PG court vision, but because he himself knows it he did not try to make any flashy or impressive plays. The number of missed opportunities because he didn't see the open man may very well have equaled the potential missed opportunities due to showing off.

Before the trade deadline I'd sure like to see us get two bench guys - one who is almost guaranteed in the paint if the defense is focused on the perimeter, and one who is the same from the perimeter if the defense is focused in the lane. These are roleplayer slots, and if we had them we might just pull out a game like this one.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post

I still think +/- is a pretty wacky stat....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    but as I said on WFNI
    You said?! Wait, if you're Kevin Lee, that's a hell of a disguise you wear to Forum Parties. Plus, you show much more knowledge than you do on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I still think +/- is a pretty wacky stat....
    I don't disagree with you. It might be a wacky stat because we don't know how to interpret it quite yet...

But there has to be something to it --- someone is looking at it because otherwise why would tracking of such a statistic be done?

i only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game tonight, but i found some things i did and didn't like. i liked how Obie didn't just run back to the starters as soon as we were in a good position to take the lead in the final couple of minutes. but i did not like how instead of going for the quick two at the end, we took to long trying to get an open look from three.

If you assume that it's all about your offense and your defense, you give your opinion no credit or not enough credit. I think O'Brien realizes that Detroit is just better or just played better tonight. Your offense and/or defense isn't necessarily bad when you lose a game. Often they are, but not always. You can play good defense, and have a better offense score more than you want them to. You can play good offense, and have a better defense stop you more than you want them to. That's essentially what happened tonight. We played hard and at least OK at both ends of the floor, but the Pistons played better.

It's not about moral victories. I'm sure of that because Conrad Brunner tried to throw that out to Jim earlier this season and Jim got disgusted. He's being honest about his feelings of the team tonight: They weren't bad on either side of the ball, so he's not going to say they were bad just because they lost.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I didn't hear the postgame, but as I said on WFNI (almost wrote WIBC) after the game, this was a talent loss, not an effort loss. I think JOB was probably happy that the team gave him everything he could have asked for - the problem is with the front office not getting us a "closer".

I was pretty impressed by Owens' performance at point tonight, both offensively and defensively. It's pretty clear he doesn't have major PG court vision, but because he himself knows it he did not try to make any flashy or impressive plays. The number of missed opportunities because he didn't see the open man may very well have equaled the potential missed opportunities due to showing off.

Before the trade deadline I'd sure like to see us get two bench guys - one who is almost guaranteed in the paint if the defense is focused on the perimeter, and one who is the same from the perimeter if the defense is focused in the lane. These are roleplayer slots, and if we had them we might just pull out a game like this one.
    Bill,

I just wanted to say that I thought that was you (didn't catch Kevin saying your name as you began talking with him) and you were making good points. I actually thought Kevin was a tad bit rude in talking over you on more than one occasion when you were trying to fully explain your thoughts. I loved your reaction when he compared Diener and Kerr.