Thread: Defensive players that are not superstars???

Default Defensive players that are not superstars???

I like the team overall. If we where to make a trade I would hope it would be for some guys that can play some Defense. I know before Tyson Chandler got traded to NO I was really hoping we could deal for him I think He and JO together could have been nasty. I was just wondering if you could aquire a few quality Defensive players who would you want? What do you think of Jerred Jeffries?? I like the run and guy style but I don't see why that means we can not build a team the runs and plays solid Defense.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Defensive players that are not superstars???

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the team overall. If we where to make a trade I would hope it would be for some guys that can play some Defense. I know before Tyson Chandler got traded to NO I was really hoping we could deal for him I think He and JO together could have been nasty. I was just wondering if you could aquire a few quality Defensive players who would you want? What do you think of Jerred Jeffries?? I like the run and guy style but I don't see why that means we can not build a team the runs and plays solid Defense.
    You always hear about the players that are very good on the offensive end......but never hear or find out about which players are very good on the defensive end.

I was looking at the list of Free Agents next season...and the players that I can see that are decent to solid defenders ( some of which are debateable ) are:

Quinton Ross - UFA
    Mickael Pietrus - UFA
    Chris Duhon - UFA
    Matt Barnes - UFA
    Ira Newble - UFA

Since I really doubt that we will make any trade this season and will likely wait until the offseason to make a change.... I really hope that we go after one of the above players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Duhon would be a terrific aquisition. But other than J.O., I'm not
    sure the Pacers have anything Da Bulls would be interested in.

Maybe a Diogu for Duhon swap...?

I really had hoped we'd pursure Trevor Ariza. I think he could have fit on this list. He may be having his coming out party with the Lakers now that they've acquired him.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I really had hoped we'd pursure Trevor Ariza. I think he could have fit on this list. He may be having his coming out party with the Lakers now that they've acquired him.
    I've been singing this guy's praises since he was rotting on Larry Brown's bench in New York. I was really expecting a break-out year for him down in the Magic Kingdom last year, but he never really got consistent minutes. Now, dude looks good in purple and gold. He's an uber-athlete with lockdown potential...And he's cheap. I don't Phil's letting him go now though.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Others who are at least above average defenders and (I believe) may be at least restricted free agents are:

Tony Allen
    Devean George
    Eduardo Najera
    Chuck Hayes
    Antonie Wright
    Janero Pargo
    Kevin Ollie
    Brian Skinner
    Kurt Thomas
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

I know that getting a perimeter defender that can also score and/or hit the 3pt shot is optimal....but is it a requirement that any of you have?

Specifically....would you try to acquire via FA a solid defensive perimeter roleplayer if he wasn't the greatest scorer?

I think that all we need is a solid lockdown perimeter defender and live with a "4 on 5" offense. I'm hoping that we could lock up a solid perimeter defender SG role-player that is durable for 3 or 4 seasons for about 3-4 mil a year.

I know that it may seem expensive....but there is a reason why there aren't that many solid perimeter defenders that are available....most of them highly sought and are locked up for 3 to 4 year contracts.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I know that getting a perimeter defender that can also score and/or hit the 3pt shot is optimal....but is it a requirement that any of you have?

Specifically....would you try to acquire via FA a solid defensive perimeter roleplayer if he wasn't the greatest scorer?

I think that all we need is a solid lockdown perimeter defender and live with a "4 on 5" offense. I'm hoping that we could lock up a solid perimeter defender SG role-player that is durable for 3 or 4 seasons for about 3-4 mil a year.

I know that it may seem expensive....but there is a reason why there aren't that many solid perimeter defenders that are available....most of them highly sought and are locked up for 3 to 4 year contracts.

Who do you have in mind? I am more worried about a player who can play D and drive to the basket.

I have agreed with anyone who has said that we need a defensive stopper but my question is when will he play? Even if Marquis isn't here, we still have Mike and Danny as the starters most likely.

I've always liked Ira Newble but honestly he isn't that great. If we had him i'd want better starters then Mike and Danny because Ira really isn't anything to great. Nice defender. That's it.

I've always liked Trenton Hassell since he came into the league with the Bulls. Solid player.

Greg Buckner and Adrian Griffin are both nice veterans. I like em both. Either should be fairly easily to attain.

I also like Dahntay Jones. He spent a few years in Memphis this signed with Boston but was cut, not for sure why, and then is with the Kings now. I think he can player in the league and is a good defender.

Marcus Banks is probably not the point guard we want offensively but this kid can defend. I'm sure we could get him too. Phoenix hasn't had much use for him but i'm sure if we offered up Marquis for Banks + ? they would have some interest. Not for sure what else we would get though. Maybe a pick.

I think that Jason Hard is a nice backup point guard. Won't blow you away but solid.

Keyon Dooling might be alright. I wouldn't call him a defensive stopper. I like DeShawn Stevenson too. He doesn't get a lot of hype but he is decent.

Should be able to upgrade our defensive talent. But we will see.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Who do you have in mind? I am more worried about a player who can play D and drive to the basket.
    Assuming that Foster and Harrison are still here next season.....I'm not as worried as much about defending the paint. I thought the defense was based off of forcing the opposing team to beat us from the perimeter.

I'm hoping that we can make the highest offer that we can afford for Chris Duhon. We need a solid PG that can pressure the opposing PG. But worse comes to worse....make an offer to Quinton Ross, Ira Newble or Barnes. The main offseason goal that I wish TPTB fix is to lockup a solid perimeter defender at the Guard spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    You always hear about the players that are very good on the offensive end......but never hear or find out about which players are very good on the defensive end.

I was looking at the list of Free Agents next season...and the players that I can see that are decent to solid defenders ( some of which are debateable ) are:

Quinton Ross - UFA
    Mickael Pietrus - UFA
    Chris Duhon - UFA
    Matt Barnes - UFA
    Ira Newble - UFA

Since I really doubt that we will make any trade this season and will likely wait until the offseason to make a change.... I really hope that we go after one of the above players.

I love Quinton Ross....he (or someone similar) is exactly what we need. Lack of perimeter defense is still by far our biggest weakness, especially in the 4th quarter of games when the game is on the line.

Ross is a premier wing defender.....someone to guard the Rip Hamilton's, Ray Allen's, LeBron James's, and other elite scorers who routinely kill us. His presence would free up Danny Granger to focus mostly on scoring, and not be forced to guard players who are significantly better than he is.

I also would prefer we get a strong defending point guard to come off the bench and split time with Tinsley....someone to play the role Travis Best used to for us defensively.

If you had a theretical lineup of this:
    PG Strong defending point guard
    Wings: Ross and Granger

All of a sudden you could go from a bad defensive team to a team with 4 plus defenders on the floor, and that singlehandledly is the cheapest and most efficient way we could get better.

If you can obtain these 2 critical spots (defending point guard, elite wing defender like Ross), it easily makes a guy like Daniels expendable.

I know everyone raves about the "team" defensive concepts and all, but currently our defense can be broken down like this:

PG Tinsley starts, and guards someone faster and better than him most of the time.

Wings: Granger guards the best player on the opponent, and can't do it well.....Dunleavy is forced to guard someone significantly quicker also.

Posts: JO has to guard a stronger player and has to help way too often, Murphy is a swinging gate, Ike is undersized, Foster is slightly above average but isn't a shotblocker or physical presence.

Lack of defense is a major concern, and it isnt going to get much better with the individuals on our roster currently....which makes us a .500 team.

Tbird

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    I love Quinton Ross....he (or someone similar) is exactly what we need. Lack of perimeter defense is still by far our biggest weakness, especially in the 4th quarter of games when the game is on the line.

Ross is a premier wing defender.....someone to guard the Rip Hamilton's, Ray Allen's, LeBron James's, and other elite scorers who routinely kill us. His presence would free up Danny Granger to focus mostly on scoring, and not be forced to guard players who are significantly better than he is.

I also would prefer we get a strong defending point guard to come off the bench and split time with Tinsley....someone to play the role Travis Best used to for us defensively.

If you had a theretical lineup of this:
    PG Strong defending point guard
    Wings: Ross and Granger

All of a sudden you could go from a bad defensive team to a team with 4 plus defenders on the floor, and that singlehandledly is the cheapest and most efficient way we could get better.

If you can obtain these 2 critical spots (defending point guard, elite wing defender like Ross), it easily makes a guy like Daniels expendable.

I know everyone raves about the "team" defensive concepts and all, but currently our defense can be broken down like this:

PG Tinsley starts, and guards someone faster and better than him most of the time.

Wings: Granger guards the best player on the opponent, and can't do it well.....Dunleavy is forced to guard someone significantly quicker also.

Posts: JO has to guard a stronger player and has to help way too often, Murphy is a swinging gate, Ike is undersized, Foster is slightly above average but isn't a shotblocker or physical presence.

Lack of defense is a major concern, and it isnt going to get much better with the individuals on our roster currently....which makes us a .500 team.

Tbird
    TBird, I completely agree with you on this. Ross currently is owed $826K in his last year of his current contract. If TPTB spent some money on him...we could get him. I honestly wouldn't mind slightly overpaying him because I know that this is such a huge weakness that we have to address that it maybe worth it.

The only problem would be that we would have likely let Rush go to FA next season then resign him in order to get some minutes for him. But if TPTB are smart....which IMHO is debateable....I would think that they should spend whatever $$$ that they intend to spend next offseason on getting a player that can defend...instead of one that can shoot.

Seriously....you would hope that we aren't the only ones on this planet that recognize that we need better perimeter defenders instead of shooters.

Also, I am guessing that you actually pay enough attention to the NBA to know which players are considered solid perimeter defenders. Other then Ross, who else do you think is out there that we can possibly go after?
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-30-2007 at 01:37 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I have agreed with anyone who has said that we need a defensive stopper but my question is when will he play? Even if Marquis isn't here, we still have Mike and Danny as the starters most likely.
    I completely agree with you here and that's why I really hope that TPTB addresses our SG/SF rotation during the offseason. If we are able to acquire a defensive minded player ( most notably a SG that is quick enough ) during the offseason....I wouldn't mind not resigning Rush to give some minutes to that perimeter defender.

I've always liked Ira Newble but honestly he isn't that great. If we had him i'd want better starters then Mike and Danny because Ira really isn't anything to great. Nice defender. That's it.

I've always liked Trenton Hassell since he came into the league with the Bulls. Solid player.

Greg Buckner and Adrian Griffin are both nice veterans. I like em both. Either should be fairly easily to attain.

I also like Dahntay Jones. He spent a few years in Memphis this signed with Boston but was cut, not for sure why, and then is with the Kings now. I think he can player in the league and is a good defender.
    I wouldn't mind making a run for Buckner, Newble, Griffin, Jones or Hassell ( in that order ). The only problem with Buckner and Griffin is that we don't have anything that would entice the Grizzlies or the Bulls to give them up.

Marcus Banks is probably not the point guard we want offensively but this kid can defend. I'm sure we could get him too. Phoenix hasn't had much use for him but i'm sure if we offered up Marquis for Banks + ? they would have some interest. Not for sure what else we would get though. Maybe a pick.

I think that Jason Hard is a nice backup point guard. Won't blow you away but solid.

Keyon Dooling might be alright. I wouldn't call him a defensive stopper. I like DeShawn Stevenson too. He doesn't get a lot of hype but he is decent.

Should be able to upgrade our defensive talent. But we will see.
    Marcus Banks has a contract that extends until the 2010-2011 season and if the Suns really wanted to get rid of him....I think if TPTB tried, they could probably get Banks.

Since the Suns are looking for players that have shorter contracts then Banks....the only problem we would have is that the only logical player that we have that the Suns would take would be Marquis. Marquis has a Team Option in the 2009-2010 season. I'm not so sure that I would want to trade Marquis ( or more specifically, the closest thing we have to an Expiring Contract in the 2008-2009 season ) for Banks since we would have to take on an additional $6 mil in $$$ owed.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

Tbird
    Good points here. If we play well defensively, then we'll improve drastically. Yes, we probably need a go-to scorer at some point but if we have stifling defense, there's no reason for us not to be a great team - even with this bunch.