Thread: Kobe: Cocky/Confident

LAPacer

Default Kobe: Cocky/Confident

I just want to know what other people think about this guy. He banks in a free throw and starts laughing after the game is practically over. He talks to the officials after every time he spins and looses the ball. Takes about 5 double clutching spins and makes a few of them. Is he just putting on highlights for his fans or is he a self centered prick.

Default Re: Kobe: Cocky/Confident

He is an arrogant, ****ing *******. Sorry, but that is the truth.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Assertive. There are guys with equal or worse attitudes in the league that noone gives a **** about due to them not being with the Lakers.

LAPacer

Assertive. There are guys with equal or worse attitudes in the league that noone gives a **** about due to them not being with the Lakers.
    So by your logic, since there are guys that are more arrogant, then he can't be arrogant. I think Al is cocky. He thinks he should start, complains about minutes, and whines to the refs when he loses the ball or gets called for fouls. Al is still cocky even though Kobe has a worse attitude. I think Kobe rubs alot more people the wrong way because:
    - he gets compared to Jordan
    - talks about being different than other bballers and then ends up in a rape case,
    - the one thing I agree with you is that he is from LA.

I wouldn't say it's his fault he gets compared to Jordan. Anyone with his talent and his situation and the media is going to latch on to that.

I agree about the rape thing, but I thought we were just talking about how one acts on the court.

It seems almost every great player out there complains about calls.

And no, to me he doesn't come off as arrogant. Malone comes off as arrogant, Shaq comes across as arrogant, Payton as well. Antoine Walker and Pippen comes to mind as well.

Kobe's way of acting on court is more like Reggie (or how Reggie was in his prime): Supremely confindent in his abilities.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't say it's his fault he gets compared to Jordan.
    I'd say it is his fault, because his game is obviously modeled after Jordan's. He has even tried to act like Jordan on and off the court.

Had there been no Jordan, there would be no Kobe.

LAPacer

I'd say it is his fault, because his game is obviously modeled after Jordan's. He has even tried to act like Jordan on and off the court.

He wants to be compared to Jordan. He is even starting to stick his tongue out more often. I 100% agree with Shade.

That's nothing compared to how the media choose him to be the successor to Jordan. I agree he is emulating Jordan to a certain extent. But the generals persons view is shaped by the way ESPN and others have potrayed him since the start.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is the media's fault for comparing him to MJ. But there is a comparison to be made. Even if it is sacrilegious to do so...

So, I see nothing wrong with comparing him to MJ.

Nerd.
    Mood

Oh, and I take issue with your last statement. Kobe would still be in the NBA and still have the type of game he has today.

It's a just a sport in the end. Nothing wrong with comparing him to other players. You can agree or disagree with the comparison in question but there isn't anything sacrilegious about it.

That's nothing compared to how the media choose him to be the successor to Jordan. I agree he is emulating Jordan to a certain extent. But the generals persons view is shaped by the way ESPN and others have potrayed him since the start.
    The media has dubbed several players as "the next Jordan." But Kobe feeds off of it. He acts just like Jordan did. Even though others may have had similar games, Kobe emulates his attitude as well...even the tongue thing to a degree.

Kobe WANTS to be compared to Jordan.

It's a just a sport in the end. Nothing wrong with comparing him to other players. You can agree or disagree with the comparison in question but there isn't anything sacrilegious about it.
    Foster > Wilt

Oh, and I take issue with your last statement. Kobe would still be in the NBA and still have the type of game he has today.
    Not a chance. Too many of his moves were created by Jordan...Kobe is simply a copycat. Granted, he has the skill to do so, but his moves are hardly original.

Nerd.
    Mood

The media has dubbed several players as "the next Jordan." But Kobe feeds off of it. He acts just like Jordan did. Even though others may have had similar games, Kobe emulates his attitude as well...even the tongue thing to a degree.

Is there something inherently wrong with wanting to be compared to Jordan?

Simple answer: No.

I would, also, want to be compared to one of the greatest players ever to step onto the hardwood.

You see, that doesn't upset me MSA2CF. You're entitled to think that (though I'm pretty sure you're just illustrating a point). It's just entertainment in the end, nothing to get worked up about.

And shade, in sports I don't want originality. I want greatness. I don't give two ***** as to who invented the moves that Kobe uses. He uses the moves that suit his style of play and it's obviously worked for him so far.
    You learn and adapt from the past. It'd be wrong for any player to change a style that's working for him just because it's eerily reminiscent of another player.

Nerd.
    Mood

I was being facetious about the sacrilege part of my statement.

I think that he is all of the above for better and for worse...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Is there something inherently wrong with wanting to be compared to Jordan?

Simple answer: No.

I would, also, want to be compared to one of the greatest players ever to step onto the hardwood.
    What's your point?

It was stated that it wasn't Kobe's fault he is compared to Jordan. I said that if he didn't try to emulate him in every aspect of his life, then he wouldn't be drawing said comparisons. I never said it was "wrong," just that the similarities are discussed for a reason.

LAPacer

efx, you are the first Kobe backer that has actually made sense. I don't agree with you at all, but I respect your logic. I still can't stand Kobe though.

Thank you!

Respect to you too! Let's just agree to disagree.