Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The trade almost one year later

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The trade almost one year later

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how growing up surrounded by Bloods makes him a criminal. Dude didn't have a choice. He's stated it pretty simply...

"I was just raised like that," he says. "All my friends. I don't trip on nobody with no blue rag, but at the same time, it's what I represent. It's what I've represented since I was 9 years old. All my friends in my neighborhood. It was just inherited. I ain't banging, though.

"I got in a couple of scruffs over it," he recalls. "It's nothing I'm embarrassed about. It just happened growing up. Walking outside, everybody got on red, I can't walk outside in blue."
    Didn't have a choice? You ALWAYS have a choice.

With that said, I'll play the game. What about now? Is he still so scared of them that he feels like he still needs to represent them, or needs them for protection?

When is it time for him to grow up? Gangs don't help society, they break them down. There's a reason why when gangs move in, crime rates go way up. Does it automatically mean your a criminal? No, not 100% of the time, but 99% of it does. Don't act like the Bloods are a bunch of school boys handing out in the local park.

They're funded by illegal activity, they push drugs/guns, they steal, they rob and murder people. You don't go through that lifestyle and come out squeaky clean.

By still showing his colors he's supporting the lifestyle, that's why they feel like they don't have a choice, because the adults kids idolize don't show them they have a choice. They glamorize gang life.

So what he started a school, good for him. How many kids does he help compare to how many kids he hinder? He should want them to get out of the streets, create a functioning life in society. Not be apart of the scum, which is exactly what gangs are.

I thought I would bump this thread seeing that the trade was made one year ago tomorrow and there is this article from Indystar.com.

and how the game is today! goodjob uncle buck! bump it up!

I love Dunleavy over Jax!
    Im dissapointed for Murph
    and Ike

I cant even find Mcleoud no more, not in D-league, he is in europe probably.
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a few sentences:

Dunleavy has become a pleasant surprise in my mind. I'd take him over Jackson.

I was never a fan of Harrington, but Ike and Murph have been a disappointment. More or less a wash for me.

Saranus was insignificant when he was here so I was happy to dump him.

I wish we still had McLeod now. He was a decent backup PG.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart

1 year later
    Pacers, Warriors reverse courses since trade
    Teams play tonight on the eve of the anniversary of their 8-player swap.
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    January 16, 2008

Both needed a change of scenery. Neither was embraced by hometown fans. Their biggest crime? One wasn't Reggie Miller. The other wasn't Larry Bird.

Almost a year after they changed cities as key components of an eight-player trade, Golden State's Stephen Jackson and Indiana's Mike Dunleavy are having career seasons.

Look a little further, though, and only one can say he has helped lead his team to a winning record and the playoffs.

Jackson returns to Conseco Fieldhouse tonight knowing he might be booed -- just as Dunleavy was Sunday in Oakland -- but smiling because his team has gotten the better end of the deal that also sent Al Harrington and two others to Golden State for Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod.

The outcome has been golden, you might say.

The Warriors are 46-36 since the trade, while the Pacers are 32-51.

The trade spurred the Warriors to the playoffs last season and contributed to the Pacers' missing the postseason for the first time in 10 seasons.

"The Pacers made the decision to cut their losses and they were never going to be in the position where they could get equal value in return," ESPN analyst Bill Walton said. "You basically have to get whatever you can and move on. The Pacers were basically forced to trade Stephen Jackson because of his failures on and off the court."

Jackson's two-plus seasons with the Pacers were stymied by numerous negative incidents, including a 30-game suspension for going into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills and a role in a shooting outside an Indianapolis strip club.

They love him out West, however. He played a key part in the Warriors making the playoffs for the first time since 1994.
    Teammates nicknamed him "Captain Jack."

He missed the first seven games of this season -- the NBA suspended him for his guilty plea in the strip club incident in Indianapolis -- and the Warriors went 1-6.

With "Jack" back, they are 22-10 and he is averaging a career-best 20.6 points to go with 4.7 rebounds and 3.8 assists in nearly 40 minutes a game.

"Nobody could predict Stephen Jackson would have made the type of turnaround that he's made," Walton said. "It would be hard to come up with someone who has hurt himself, hurt his team, more than Stephen Jackson. We're hopeful he can continue this remarkable turnaround. The Warriors rolled the dice and it has worked so far with them."

Jackson hasn't completely eliminated some of the antics that drove fans and Pacers officials crazy. He still occasionally gets caught up in complaining to the officials and not running back on defense.

"He's gotten better at it," Harrington said. "I think some coaches nitpick at guys. If you want to do that, anybody can be a (jerk). With Jack, he has a leash that's a little bit longer and he knows how to bring himself in when he has an episode. He's definitely maturing."

Dunleavy's accomplishments haven't been as noticeable because the Pacers have been inconsistent. The way their season is going, his playoff drought could reach six years.

The Pacers swingman is finally playing like the player fans in Oakland wanted to see during his five years there. Dunleavy is averaging a team-best 17.3 points and shooting 49.6 percent, including 42.8 percent on 3-pointers, all career highs.

"To me, it's exactly what I envisioned out of Mike," Warriors vice president Chris Mullin said. "He has size, passing ability, shooting ability. He's a worker. He's a great teammate and he's smart. There's nothing he doesn't really bring. Now he's doing it on a consistent basis and he's in a situation where they rely on him and they're playing through him."

Murphy and Diogu haven't had the same kind of impact as Dunleavy.

Diogu has fallen so far down in the rotation that he has been inactive the past two games. Murphy, who averaged a double-double in three of his first five seasons, is averaging 10.2 points and 7.0 rebounds while shooting a career-low 40.9 percent this season.

"We have guys that play well at times, but not as consistent as much as we would like," Pacers president Larry Bird said. "We do like the players we got in the trade. They'll get consistent as the season goes on."

Harrison practicing alone

Center David Harrison, who has served two games of his five-game suspension for violating the league's anti-drug program, is working out with the coaching staff alone. Harrison is allowed to practice with the team during the suspension, but O'Brien doesn't want him taking repetitions from other players.

"To me, it's exactly what I envisioned out of Mike," Warriors vice president Chris Mullin said. "He has size, passing ability, shooting ability. He's a worker. He's a great teammate and he's smart. There's nothing he doesn't really bring. Now he's doing it on a consistent basis and he's in a situation where they rely on him and they're playing through him."

it really says a lot about mike.
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both needed a change of scenery. Neither was embraced by hometown fans. Their biggest crime? One wasn't Reggie Miller. The other wasn't Larry Bird.
    I stopped reading right there. It's obvious that Wells has no clue what he's talking about. I don't think any of us expected Jack to be Reggie. But we did expect him to not be a headcase with sporadic effort on the court.